Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] - Page 1103

post #11021 of 19540
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchronic View Post

well if you can overclock to where it's stable in everything you do, then there is no need to worry about you're chip not being stable...... right ?

Yes, but it's my mentality I suppose that I have lost something. At stock it was stable in everything. Overclocked not.

Also, toss CpuSupportsFMA3=0 in local.txt if you don't want FMA3. Hell, if you don't really care too much about stability, and you just want "Prime95 stable !!!" you can toss CpuSupportsAVX=0 . biggrin.gif
post #11022 of 19540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro999 View Post

VID is so funny lol, within 10% of 1.0vcore at load is not exactly within 10% of 1.2-1.3

Tis pretty funny
post #11023 of 19540
Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post

Yes, but it's my mentality I suppose that I have lost something. At stock it was stable in everything. Overclocked not.

Also, toss CpuSupportsFMA3=0 in local.txt if you don't want FMA3. Hell, if you don't really care too much about stability, and you just want "Prime95 stable !!!" you can toss CpuSupportsAVX=0 . biggrin.gif

Well I tried this on V28.5.

CpuSupportsFMA3=0 worked. It is interesting to compare the temps between this and with FMA3 enabled. Something around 10c.


CpuSupportsAVX=0 doesn't work. The workers immediately stop with an error that there is no such FTT length.
post #11024 of 19540
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneO View Post

Well I tried this on V28.5.

CpuSupportsFMA3=0 worked. It is interesting to compare the temps between this and with FMA3 enabled. Something around 10c.


CpuSupportsAVX=0 doesn't work. The workers immediately stop with an error that there is no such FTT length.

Hmm, very interesting. I'll try that on my 4670k later, and report it if it doesn't work.
post #11025 of 19540
Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post

Hmm, very interesting. I'll try that on my 4670k later, and report it if it doesn't work.

I assume that 28.x probably doesn't do non-AVX FP and this is why.
post #11026 of 19540
Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post

That's assuming you never use AVX or really use the CPU a lot. Frankly, I don't get the point of being stable only at what you do.

This blew my mind a little bit. If you're not doing something then how can you ever know if you're stable at that thing you're not doing?

The only way to know you're stable at the things you're not doing is to do them. But then they become "being stable only at what you do," because you're doing them. So then you have to find other things you're not doing. But then they become the things that you do.

That's deep.

headscratch.gif
My System
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero Z87 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
750GB Samsung 840EVO 256GB Crucial M4 150GB Velociraptor 1TB Samsung F1 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Asus DRW-24B1ST Phanteks PH-TC14PE Win 10 64-bit 27" Qnix QX2710 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master QuickFire Ultimate Cooler Master V1000 1000W 80+ Gold Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Logitech G500s 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Func Surface 1030 Asus Xonar Essence STX M-Audia AV 40 Polk PSW10 Sub 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz ASUS Maximus VI Hero Z87 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
750GB Samsung 840EVO 256GB Crucial M4 150GB Velociraptor 1TB Samsung F1 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Asus DRW-24B1ST Phanteks PH-TC14PE Win 10 64-bit 27" Qnix QX2710 96Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master QuickFire Ultimate Cooler Master V1000 1000W 80+ Gold Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Logitech G500s 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Func Surface 1030 Asus Xonar Essence STX M-Audia AV 40 Polk PSW10 Sub 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11027 of 19540
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneO View Post

That is fine for you. I wrote that for someone who wants or needs to be stable in AVX, obviously not for you. You are not everyone. .

Your response is by no means "responsive" to anything I posted.

-I am stable perfectly stable under AVX at 45/45 and 45/42 and voltages are acceptable to me under AVX benchies.
-I have no idea whether I am stable at 46/46, cause as soon as I started the test I broke 1.5v and I terminated the test. No one, not just me, no one wants or needs to be stable at voltages and settings they have decided they never want their system to experience.

So, as i said previously, I use OC Profiles feature to load various sets of BIOS settings depending on what I plan to do..... if AVX is present I use one of the 45 multiplier settings....if not, I can use 46 .... it really is a simple concept. I thot the tire analogy would help you understand...... no one needs to be AVX stable at settings they are never going to operate under, just as no one needs 200 mph stable tires on a car when they have decided they are incapable or unwilling to operate a vehicle at even half that speed.

Since I didn't get either the reasoning about the profiles nor the tire analogy thru the 1st time, let's go over this a step at a time:

a) A OC profile is created which is capped at 45/45 and meets all the user's criteria and voltage / temp limitations under all benchies including AVX.
b) A 2nd OC profile is created which is capped at 45/42 because it manages the same stability and performances at lower voltages.
c) A 3rd OC profile is created which is perfectly stable under all non AVX benchies, however, when AVX instructioins are present, voltage exceeds a level which the user is comfortable with so the test is stopped w/o determining stability.

Please explain the obsession with AVX stability on a separate "No AVX OC profile" for use when extra performance is desired solely in non AVX applications / games / benchies
Quote:
The boost is clearly noted as approximate and I have shown it can be quite low. Do you think that manufacturer representative tested a lot of CPUs against this?

Yes, we covered this already.....again as previously stated, they reported testing > 1,000

And, your definition of approximate clearly doesn't fit the dictionary version.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/approximate
Quote:
ap·prox·i·mate (ə-prŏk′sə-mĭt), adj.

1. Almost exact or correct
2. Very similar; closely resembling

0.9 would fit approximate ...1.1 would fit approximate .... your results are not approximately 0.1

Quote:
Saying that you couldn't find anything searching the web for something someone is probably not even checking is not very meaningful IMO. Doing a poll with a specific test might be. I may have a one in a million but you haven't provided sufficient information to show this. I think people should not take the 0.1V verbatim and not find out what it is for their chip in any case - if you are going to overclock, then you should know this information. So why do you so strenuously object to my suggesting that people should find out what boost they get on their processor?

How do you associate close to a dozen posted references as "not even checking" ? Given that this statement is a direct contradiction of easily verifiable fact, the links are right here on the board for all to see, unavoidably reflects on the veracity if all your other statements.

I don't object at all to anyone doing anything..... I welcome it..... The only "strenuous objection" we have seen is your response to the request to run reproduce the < 2 minute RoG test. I welcome all the testing I can get my eyes on because if it's possible to reproduce your results, I want to know how to do it.

But as I said in the last message, given the > 100 of examples I have seen all going consistently to the same results .... and given your inability to produce even a single corroborating example, we don't exactly have a "the jury is still out" situation here. I am not saying you are right or you are wrong. All I am saying, is that until such results can be independently confirmed the community will remain skeptical. I'll continue to keep an eye out for such postings and let ya know if I come across one.
911 Carrera
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel w/ EK Supremacy Cooling Block - Clean P... Asus Maximus VI Formula 2 x Asus GTX 780 DCII w/ EK Full Cover Blocks a... Mushkin Red Line Ridgeback 2 x 8GB DDR302400 10... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB (2 x Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cach... Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blue Ray Writer 1 x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45-420 + 1 x Alphacool ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
1 x Swiftech 35x2 w/ Heatsink and NB Fan EK -MultiOption RES X3 250 White Acetal Reservoir 5 x PH-F140SP_BK_BLED + 5 x PH-F140SP_BK E22 Rigid 10/12 Acrylic Tubing and Bitspower Ma... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x Reeven Six Eyes Fan Controller Windows 7 64 Bit Professional OEM ASUS VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz Monitor Logitech G19s 920-004985 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-1250 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis Asus RoG GX950 Laser Mouse  Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
911 Carrera
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel w/ EK Supremacy Cooling Block - Clean P... Asus Maximus VI Formula 2 x Asus GTX 780 DCII w/ EK Full Cover Blocks a... Mushkin Red Line Ridgeback 2 x 8GB DDR302400 10... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB (2 x Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cach... Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blue Ray Writer 1 x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45-420 + 1 x Alphacool ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
1 x Swiftech 35x2 w/ Heatsink and NB Fan EK -MultiOption RES X3 250 White Acetal Reservoir 5 x PH-F140SP_BK_BLED + 5 x PH-F140SP_BK E22 Rigid 10/12 Acrylic Tubing and Bitspower Ma... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x Reeven Six Eyes Fan Controller Windows 7 64 Bit Professional OEM ASUS VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz Monitor Logitech G19s 920-004985 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-1250 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis Asus RoG GX950 Laser Mouse  Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #11028 of 19540
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneO View Post

I assume that 28.x probably doesn't do non-AVX FP and this is why.
Ah no, I use Prime95 a lot and can say FMA3, AVX, and SSE FFT's work fine. It's a stress test bug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth View Post

This blew my mind a little bit. If you're not doing something then how can you ever know if you're stable at that thing you're not doing?

The only way to know you're stable at the things you're not doing is to do them. But then they become "being stable only at what you do," because you're doing them. So then you have to find other things you're not doing. But then they become the things that you do.

That's deep.

headscratch.gif

That's why I run Linpack and FMA3 P95. It's just my "thing". You might want to step back and breath and reread your reply. smile.gif
post #11029 of 19540
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post

Your response is by no means "responsive" to anything I posted.

-I am stable perfectly stable under AVX at 45/45 and 45/42 and voltages are acceptable to me under AVX benchies.
-I have no idea whether I am stable at 46/46, cause as soon as I started the test I broke 1.5v and I terminated the test. No one, not just me, no one wants or needs to be stable at voltages and settings they have decided they never want their system to experience.

So, as i said previously, I use OC Profiles feature to load various sets of BIOS settings depending on what I plan to do..... if AVX is present I use one of the 45 multiplier settings....if not, I can use 46 .... it really is a simple concept. I thot the tire analogy would help you understand...... no one needs to be AVX stable at settings they are never going to operate under, just as no one needs 200 mph stable tires on a car when they have decided they are incapable or unwilling to operate a vehicle at even half that speed.

Since I didn't get either the reasoning about the profiles nor the tire analogy thru the 1st time, let's go over this a step at a time:

a) A OC profile is created which is capped at 45/45 and meets all the user's criteria and voltage / temp limitations under all benchies including AVX.
b) A 2nd OC profile is created which is capped at 45/42 because it manages the same stability and performances at lower voltages.
c) A 3rd OC profile is created which is perfectly stable under all non AVX benchies, however, when AVX instructioins are present, voltage exceeds a level which the user is comfortable with so the test is stopped w/o determining stability.

Please explain the obsession with AVX stability on a separate "No AVX OC profile" for use when extra performance is desired solely in non AVX applications / games / benchies
Yes, we covered this already.....again as previously stated, they reported testing > 1,000

And, your definition of approximate clearly doesn't fit the dictionary version.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/approximate
0.9 would fit approximate ...1.1 would fit approximate .... your results are not approximately 0.1
How do you associate close to a dozen posted references as "not even checking" ? Given that this statement is a direct contradiction of easily verifiable fact, the links are right here on the board for all to see, unavoidably reflects on the veracity if all your other statements.

I don't object at all to anyone doing anything..... I welcome it..... The only "strenuous objection" we have seen is your response to the request to run reproduce the < 2 minute RoG test. I welcome all the testing I can get my eyes on because if it's possible to reproduce your results, I want to know how to do it.

But as I said in the last message, given the > 100 of examples I have seen all going consistently to the same results .... and given your inability to produce even a single corroborating example, we don't exactly have a "the jury is still out" situation here. I am not saying you are right or you are wrong. All I am saying, is that until such results can be independently confirmed the community will remain skeptical. I'll continue to keep an eye out for such postings and let ya know if I come across one.

I said I am through wasting my time with you. I did the ROG test and posted it and you ignored it as I will with you from now on.
Edited by GeneO - 3/13/14 at 7:09pm
post #11030 of 19540
whats the quick way of testing CPU OC, x264? how do I run it, and how long is a good "test" time.
Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 5960x 4.5ghz  Asus X99 Extreme Evga 980Ti+EK Waterblock Evga 980Ti+EK Waterblock 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHZ DDR4 Cas 16  2x Crucial 64gb Raid 0 Crucial M500 240GB 2TB WDC 7200RPM HDD 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 256GB WB 4TB External USB 3.0 HDD XSPC Raystorm CPU Water Block, 2x AX 480 Radiat... Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 28Inch Gsync 1440p Logitech G510s  Corsair AX1200 + Corsair RM 750 Case Labs STH10 
Mouse
Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
Sig Rig
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 5960x 4.5ghz  Asus X99 Extreme Evga 980Ti+EK Waterblock Evga 980Ti+EK Waterblock 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHZ DDR4 Cas 16  2x Crucial 64gb Raid 0 Crucial M500 240GB 2TB WDC 7200RPM HDD 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 256GB WB 4TB External USB 3.0 HDD XSPC Raystorm CPU Water Block, 2x AX 480 Radiat... Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer 28Inch Gsync 1440p Logitech G510s  Corsair AX1200 + Corsair RM 750 Case Labs STH10 
Mouse
Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]