Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] - Page 1831

post #18301 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl6mk6 View Post

There was a discussion a month or so back on the DC forum about needing lower input voltages (~1.550-1.650v) to get more stable higher end clocks (4.8GHz+) I ended up lowering my input down (1.650v) just to see if I could as I had it at 2.000v before that. It runs fine. There was also discussion of a slightly higher current at lower input voltages, as hwmonitor shows a slightly higher peak wattage at the lower input voltage. This hasn't been confirmed as being a symptom of the motherboards calculation of power formula or a real increase in power usage. Either way, until these chips get a few more years on em, the effects of lowering the input are still hypothetical, as are any issues from having it too high. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

You're not, but there seems to be no reason to lower the vcore to input V delta either. Sometimes it needs to be high. Sometimes it needs to be low - sometimes it can be various values but not others and it's not exactly clear why or if it's beneficial at all to raise or lower. Regardless of the voltage it's at, the same amount of wattage needs to be delivered to the IVR so lowering it doesn't neccesarily reduce power consumption like other voltages
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18302 of 19603
Quote:
If I want to sell the chip, what voltage do I tell them it takes for 4.5Ghz?

1.21 bios, 1.23 @ load

----

The mobo absolutely does not know what it's doing with regard to RAM timings and you should be very careful with RAM OC, it's easy to lose performance.
Edited by Cyro999 - 10/24/15 at 5:17pm
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18303 of 19603
Any luck with the L319? I ended up with a L319B931, no results anywhere online :/
post #18304 of 19603
Hello everyone! New to this site and overclocking, looking for some help. I read through the guide at the beginning and quite a few of the posts here.
I decided to run Prime95 before attempting to OC, as a sort of benchmark, and noticed that on default BIOS settings my temps go up to 100 C (210 F) in less than a minute in both HWinfo and HWmonitor Package temp. I shut Prime down almost immediately to avoid damage.
Is this abnormal? Do I have a bad chip?

4670K, ASRock Z87 Extreme4 BIOS 3.20 all drivers up to date, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333 (Stock, no XMP profile active), Hyper 212 EVO, Win 7 HomePrem, NZXT Phantom full tower case with 6 fans, ambient temp 70 F. System build Jan. 2014

Thanks in advance.
post #18305 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarminator View Post

Hello everyone! New to this site and overclocking, looking for some help. I read through the guide at the beginning and quite a few of the posts here.
I decided to run Prime95 before attempting to OC, as a sort of benchmark, and noticed that on default BIOS settings my temps go up to 100 C (210 F) in less than a minute in both HWinfo and HWmonitor Package temp. I shut Prime down almost immediately to avoid damage.
Is this abnormal? Do I have a bad chip?

4670K, ASRock Z87 Extreme4 BIOS 3.20 all drivers up to date, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333 (Stock, no XMP profile active), Hyper 212 EVO, Win 7 HomePrem, NZXT Phantom full tower case with 6 fans, ambient temp 70 F. System build Jan. 2014

Thanks in advance.

If you actually read the original post, as well as many other haswell forums, you would know that Prime95 Is not recommended as a stressing program. Please use x264, realbench, or OCCT for stressing. Make sure your BIOS isn't putting more than 1.200Vcore into your chip by default. I have seen some push as high as 1.300V on auto. Long story short, the auto settings in BIOS are not optimized for any specific chips and tend to overcompensate with voltages.
post #18306 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl6mk6 View Post

If you actually read the original post, as well as many other haswell forums, you would know that Prime95 Is not recommended as a stressing program. Please use x264, realbench, or OCCT for stressing. Make sure your BIOS isn't putting more than 1.200Vcore into your chip by default. I have seen some push as high as 1.300V on auto. Long story short, the auto settings in BIOS are not optimized for any specific chips and tend to overcompensate with voltages.

No need to be a douche. I did read the first post and nowhere does it say to not use Prime. Maybe you should go read it. I didn't read any other Haswell forums. This was my starting point.
I hate people who act as if they know everything about a subject and always have known. At one point you didn't know this stuff either.
Do me, and others that are seeking knowledge on a particular subject, a favor and don't respond anymore unless you can do so politely and with respect.
post #18307 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarminator View Post

No need to be a douche. I did read the first post and nowhere does it say to not use Prime. Maybe you should go read it. I didn't read any other Haswell forums. This was my starting point.
I hate people who act as if they know everything about a subject and always have known. At one point you didn't know this stuff either.
Do me, and others that are seeking knowledge on a particular subject, a favor and don't respond anymore unless you can do so politely and with respect.

Wow, I was just trying to help. I apologize if you took it the wrong way, I'm sure I could have worded it better. I will take your comment with the grain of salt it deserves.
post #18308 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl6mk6 View Post

Wow, I was just trying to help. I apologize if you took it the wrong way, I'm sure I could have worded it better. I will take your comment with the grain of salt it deserves.

I didn't take it the wrong way. Your wording indicates that you were irritated that I didn't know something that you think I should.
Also, unless you're implying that I'm lying about reading the first post, you are using "take with a grain of salt" incorrectly. If you are implying that I lied about reading the first post then you are the douche that your first reply would suggest.

Thanks for the backhanded attempt at help. I will do more research before attempting to OC.
post #18309 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarminator View Post

I didn't take it the wrong way. Your wording indicates that you were irritated that I didn't know something that you think I should.
Also, unless you're implying that I'm lying about reading the first post, you are using "take with a grain of salt" incorrectly. If you are implying that I lied about reading the first post then you are the douche that your first reply would suggest.

Thanks for the backhanded attempt at help. I will do more research before attempting to OC.

I was frustrated about people using prime95 for Haswell chips instead of the recommended stress programs in the forums. That is why I sounded upsed. I said I would take your comments with a grain of salt, implying that you must be more sensitive than most people, and I wouldn't take it personally. I even tried to apologise. Obviously you dont understand help and sincerity when presented with it. Again I am sorry for upsetting you with my comments.
post #18310 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl6mk6 View Post

I was frustrated about people using prime95 for Haswell chips instead of the recommended stress programs in the forums. That is why I sounded upsed. I said I would take your comments with a grain of salt, implying that you must be more sensitive than most people, and I wouldn't take it personally. I even tried to apologise. Obviously you dont understand help and sincerity when presented with it. Again I am sorry for upsetting you with my comments.

OK, I get that you were frustrated. I apologize for jumping the gun with Prime, I saw it mentioned several times while browsing the forum posts. Though I stand by my assessment of your intent because of the words you used. Say what you mean, mean what you say.
I'm not more sensitive than most people. Nobody likes to be called or implied to be stupid. That is exactly what you did with the way you worded your reply. Lack of knowledge is not stupidity.
I will go back and re-read the first post and follow the guide step by step.

You did use the idiom incorrectly. That caused confusion and frustration for me.
"Take something with a grain of salt"
to consider something to be not completely true or right, "I've read the article, which I take with a grain of salt."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]