Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] - Page 1914

post #19131 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiw View Post

If you're not going to push the chip to the max clocks then you're wasting your time delidding.

Not necessarily. With many people such as myself, delidding the chip was the only way I was able to achieve even a moderate overclock with my 4670k. Initially when overclocking to just 4ghz, my chip would hit 90'c with a properly installed corsair h80i (very easy to improperly install these coolers) with plenty of fan power running through it. I even tried it with my 120x38 panaflo U1BX monster. After using the vise method, shaving down the underside lip of the IHS so it actually touched the CPU core, applying CL Liquid metal between them, and reinstalling the cooler i was shocked by the temperature drop. With the exact same 4ghz overclock, my CPU was now hitting a max temp of 50'c, and at 4.4ghz and 1.31v hitting 61'c. And that was using a single 120mm corsair PWM fan that maxes at 2800rpm.
I forget what the micrometer measurements were but there was a clear gap between the CPU core and the underside of teh IHS, only making contact via a glob of intel thermal goop.
post #19132 of 19603
Delidding is the most cost effective form of improving your cooling by far. Even at $50 - the silicon lottery price - it compares very favorably to a cooler upgrade. DIY cost is more like $5 in parts, 1 hour spent, and say a $5 chance of damaging your chip.
Dorje
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690k Gigabyte z97x-sli MSI TF 280 G Skill Sniper 1600/9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 4 tb hybrid Corsair h80i Windows 8.1 SE39UY04 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA NEX-G 750W S340 (white) Bloody ZL5A Razer Blackshark 
  hide details  
Reply
Dorje
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690k Gigabyte z97x-sli MSI TF 280 G Skill Sniper 1600/9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 4 tb hybrid Corsair h80i Windows 8.1 SE39UY04 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA NEX-G 750W S340 (white) Bloody ZL5A Razer Blackshark 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19133 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post

Not necessarily. With many people such as myself, delidding the chip was the only way I was able to achieve even a moderate overclock with my 4670k. Initially when overclocking to just 4ghz, my chip would hit 90'c with a properly installed corsair h80i (very easy to improperly install these coolers) with plenty of fan power running through it. I even tried it with my 120x38 panaflo U1BX monster. After using the vise method, shaving down the underside lip of the IHS so it actually touched the CPU core, applying CL Liquid metal between them, and reinstalling the cooler i was shocked by the temperature drop. With the exact same 4ghz overclock, my CPU was now hitting a max temp of 50'c, and at 4.4ghz and 1.31v hitting 61'c. And that was using a single 120mm corsair PWM fan that maxes at 2800rpm.
I forget what the micrometer measurements were but there was a clear gap between the CPU core and the underside of teh IHS, only making contact via a glob of intel thermal goop.

Go naked, never use an IHS again. biggrin.gif
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19134 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiw View Post

Go naked, never use an IHS again. biggrin.gif

This. I run my 4770k naked with Liquid Pro thermal compound. Made easy by the EK PreciseMount kit. 0 risk of damaging the chip when installing the block and applies perfect pressure. Allows me to keep temps below 60*c while pushing ~1.45V though it for my 4.7GHz overclock.
Edited by Nick the Slick - 8/19/16 at 8:14pm
Angel Wings
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700k ASUS Z170-PRO Zotac Geforce GTX 970 G. Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
MyDigitalSSD BPX Crucial MX300 LG Black Blu-Ray Burner Custom Liquid Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 46" 1080p Samsung TV Logitech K800 Seasonic SS-750KM3 
CaseMouseAudio
Phanteks “Enthoo Pro Series" Logitech M215 5.1 Polk Audio Setup 
  hide details  
Reply
Angel Wings
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700k ASUS Z170-PRO Zotac Geforce GTX 970 G. Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
MyDigitalSSD BPX Crucial MX300 LG Black Blu-Ray Burner Custom Liquid Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 46" 1080p Samsung TV Logitech K800 Seasonic SS-750KM3 
CaseMouseAudio
Phanteks “Enthoo Pro Series" Logitech M215 5.1 Polk Audio Setup 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19135 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Slick View Post

This. I run my 4770k naked with Liquid Pro thermal compound. Made easy by the EK PreciseMount kit. 0 risk of damaging the chip when installing the block and applies perfect pressure. Allows me to keep temps below 60*c while pushing ~1.45V though it for my 4.7GHz overclock.

Wow those 4770k's don't overclock well indeed. My 4790k did 4.8 GHz at 1.28 V. I think even my 4770k did better. No need for a better OC? Just buy one second hand and sell this one!
Arachnid
(26 items)
 
Lil bro's
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB Windforce 3X OC ... Gskill Trident Z 16 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung SM951 Seagate Barracuda Western Digital Blue EK Supremacy MX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC980 GTX Ti WF3 – Nickel Barrow YKD5G65 130 mm Barrow PD5BTZ-V1 Barrow LD5HK-V1 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Alphacool VPP665 Alphacool Nexxxos XT45 480 mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 29UM55 Logitech G710+ Cooler Master V700 Phanteks Eclipse P400 
MouseAudioAudioOther
Logitech G502 Logitech Z506 HyperX Cloud II Fanatec GT3 RS V2 EU 
OtherOther
Fanatec Clubsport V2 EU Xbox One Wireless Controller with Windows Adapter 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5450 Asus Commando Palit GTX 770 Hynix HYMP125U64CP8-S6 AB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
WD Caviar Raijintek Triton Windows 10 BeQuiet BQT E6-500W 
Case
Golden Field V5S 
  hide details  
Reply
Arachnid
(26 items)
 
Lil bro's
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB Windforce 3X OC ... Gskill Trident Z 16 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung SM951 Seagate Barracuda Western Digital Blue EK Supremacy MX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FC980 GTX Ti WF3 – Nickel Barrow YKD5G65 130 mm Barrow PD5BTZ-V1 Barrow LD5HK-V1 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Alphacool VPP665 Alphacool Nexxxos XT45 480 mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 29UM55 Logitech G710+ Cooler Master V700 Phanteks Eclipse P400 
MouseAudioAudioOther
Logitech G502 Logitech Z506 HyperX Cloud II Fanatec GT3 RS V2 EU 
OtherOther
Fanatec Clubsport V2 EU Xbox One Wireless Controller with Windows Adapter 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5450 Asus Commando Palit GTX 770 Hynix HYMP125U64CP8-S6 AB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
WD Caviar Raijintek Triton Windows 10 BeQuiet BQT E6-500W 
Case
Golden Field V5S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19136 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgnex View Post

Wow those 4770k's don't overclock well indeed. My 4790k did 4.8 GHz at 1.28 V. I think even my 4770k did better. No need for a better OC? Just buy one second hand and sell this one!

Yea my chip is pretty bad lol. Voltage is probably a bit higher than it really needs to be though cause I use IBT Very High to verify stability so I'm sure it could be gaming stable with less voltage, but it's given me no trouble so I just leave it where it is. Don't see myself getting rid of this chip just cause it sucks though lol. I'll probably still be rocking it 5+ years from now assuming I don't kill it with this voltage biggrin.gif Only thing in my rig I'll probably be upgrading any time soon is the GPU, been debating on the 1070 but I really want to wait and see what Vega is going to do.
Angel Wings
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700k ASUS Z170-PRO Zotac Geforce GTX 970 G. Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
MyDigitalSSD BPX Crucial MX300 LG Black Blu-Ray Burner Custom Liquid Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 46" 1080p Samsung TV Logitech K800 Seasonic SS-750KM3 
CaseMouseAudio
Phanteks “Enthoo Pro Series" Logitech M215 5.1 Polk Audio Setup 
  hide details  
Reply
Angel Wings
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700k ASUS Z170-PRO Zotac Geforce GTX 970 G. Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
MyDigitalSSD BPX Crucial MX300 LG Black Blu-Ray Burner Custom Liquid Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 46" 1080p Samsung TV Logitech K800 Seasonic SS-750KM3 
CaseMouseAudio
Phanteks “Enthoo Pro Series" Logitech M215 5.1 Polk Audio Setup 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19137 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Slick View Post

This. I run my 4770k naked with Liquid Pro thermal compound. Made easy by the EK PreciseMount kit. 0 risk of damaging the chip when installing the block and applies perfect pressure. Allows me to keep temps below 60*c while pushing ~1.45V though it for my 4.7GHz overclock.

Need to upgrade to skylake and run one of those naked next lol.
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19138 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Slick View Post

Yea my chip is pretty bad lol. Voltage is probably a bit higher than it really needs to be though cause I use IBT Very High to verify stability so I'm sure it could be gaming stable with less voltage, but it's given me no trouble so I just leave it where it is. Don't see myself getting rid of this chip just cause it sucks though lol. I'll probably still be rocking it 5+ years from now assuming I don't kill it with this voltage biggrin.gif Only thing in my rig I'll probably be upgrading any time soon is the GPU, been debating on the 1070 but I really want to wait and see what Vega is going to do.

IBT said my 4.8ghz was stable but when I tested with X264 I couldn't pass it at all. Maybe my overclocks are poor and I'm not doing it correctly? Getting my PC in a few so I'll take some time to re-do my overclock.
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19139 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiw View Post

IBT said my 4.8ghz was stable but when I tested with X264 I couldn't pass it at all. Maybe my overclocks are poor and I'm not doing it correctly? Getting my PC in a few so I'll take some time to re-do my overclock.

Did you just run it on default settings or did you use Very High/Max? Default settings are pretty easy to pass I found, but I do about 20-40 runs on Very High and it seems to be really good at finding instability. But then again, I never bothered to run x264 with this overclock because once I decide it was stable with IBT i just let it be and it never crashed during hours of gaming so I just left it alone. Maybe I'm the one who needs to redo it lol. I'll try to remember to set x264 up tonight before I go to bed and see how that goes.
Angel Wings
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700k ASUS Z170-PRO Zotac Geforce GTX 970 G. Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
MyDigitalSSD BPX Crucial MX300 LG Black Blu-Ray Burner Custom Liquid Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 46" 1080p Samsung TV Logitech K800 Seasonic SS-750KM3 
CaseMouseAudio
Phanteks “Enthoo Pro Series" Logitech M215 5.1 Polk Audio Setup 
  hide details  
Reply
Angel Wings
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700k ASUS Z170-PRO Zotac Geforce GTX 970 G. Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
MyDigitalSSD BPX Crucial MX300 LG Black Blu-Ray Burner Custom Liquid Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 46" 1080p Samsung TV Logitech K800 Seasonic SS-750KM3 
CaseMouseAudio
Phanteks “Enthoo Pro Series" Logitech M215 5.1 Polk Audio Setup 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19140 of 19603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Slick View Post

Did you just run it on default settings or did you use Very High/Max? Default settings are pretty easy to pass I found, but I do about 20-40 runs on Very High and it seems to be really good at finding instability. But then again, I never bothered to run x264 with this overclock because once I decide it was stable with IBT i just let it be and it never crashed during hours of gaming so I just left it alone. Maybe I'm the one who needs to redo it lol. I'll try to remember to set x264 up tonight before I go to bed and see how that goes.

Very high and maximum with Xtreme mode enabled for 20 passes.
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]