Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] - Page 1923

post #19221 of 19649
I use x264 then latest battlefield usually shows up any stability issues
post #19222 of 19649
Computer still crashing randomly after passing multiple stress tests.


I keep getting random crashes, all of them black screen crashes. I have a i7 4790k. My cooler is h100 iv2. I have a 1,000W power supply. I overclocked from 4.0 to 4.6. I ran prime for 5 hours and 20 minutes and OCCT for 30 minutes @ medium with no problems with anything at all. I played some games of Overwatch and everything was fine. My Vcore is 1.275, VCCin is 1.875, Uncore is at 40 (manually switched to default), override mode for voltages, and manual mode for the other option. EIST, c1e, and intel turbo boost is disabled. CPU ratio is on fixed mode. Everything else is default. Again, my computer is crashing after 3-5 minutes of being on my desktop, all of them black screen. All my temps are fine, nowhere near high. I have no idea what to do, anyone have a solution? I do not think it is the voltages because of passed stress tests AND when I raised my Vcore to 1.3 it was still crashing. Could it be my RAM? Could it be my power supply? Should I change my VCCin back to auto? I've literally taken this OC step by step, changing only 1 variable at a time but now I am clueless on what's wrong.

**EDIT 1** I raised my VCCIN from 1.9 to 2.0. I have no crashes now. Now, I am in the process of testing from 1.9-2.0 to get "right" amount. Most guides say 0.4-0.6 higher than your vcore, so I never thought about it raising it that much higher. Once I find the sweet spot for my VCCIN, when I try to OC my ram & uncore, how will I know to raise their respective wattage or if I have to raise my VCCIN? Because VCCIN put outs all the voltage to everything to make it work right?

**OR**, just like my vcore, I'll find out it that my VCCIN is the problem (being too low) when I have to raise my ram or uncore volt so high to a ridiculous number.

**OR**, I just figure out the right amount of VCCIN (Between 1.9-2.0) and when I OC my ram and uncore, I won't have to worry about raising my VCCIN.

Thank you.
Edited by rdL427 - 10/6/16 at 2:30pm
post #19223 of 19649
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav4 View Post

I found this to .
With input voltage once you get to a certain clock lowering it can help,especially around 4.8 range
dude 1.5v is way too high I have my i7 4790k at 4.6ghz at 1.29v anything over 1.3 1.31 you will get severe cpu degradation you will have very fast decrease of the life of cpu
post #19224 of 19649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby12707 View Post

dude 1.5v is way too high I have my i7 4790k at 4.6ghz at 1.29v anything over 1.3 1.31 you will get severe cpu degradation you will have very fast decrease of the life of cpu
Dude I never said to use 1.5v
1.4v is a safe limit in my opinion refer to the first page
post #19225 of 19649



Just gonna leave this here...
Angel Wings
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700k ASUS Z170-PRO Zotac Geforce GTX 970 G. Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
MyDigitalSSD BPX Crucial MX300 LG Black Blu-Ray Burner Custom Liquid Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 46" 1080p Samsung TV Logitech K800 Seasonic SS-750KM3 
CaseMouseAudio
Phanteks “Enthoo Pro Series" Logitech M215 5.1 Polk Audio Setup 
  hide details  
Reply
Angel Wings
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700k ASUS Z170-PRO Zotac Geforce GTX 970 G. Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
MyDigitalSSD BPX Crucial MX300 LG Black Blu-Ray Burner Custom Liquid Cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 46" 1080p Samsung TV Logitech K800 Seasonic SS-750KM3 
CaseMouseAudio
Phanteks “Enthoo Pro Series" Logitech M215 5.1 Polk Audio Setup 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19226 of 19649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiw View Post

It depends on the stress program used and the settings in the program, for example I got my 4670K to 4.8ghz and passed 20 runs of IBT AVX on Xtreme mode maximum.... but games would crash, I tried x264 and is would crash instantly.

I got my FX 8350 to 5ghz using prime 95 and it passed after a few hours, but failed IBT AVX on any setting because the voltage was too low.

Games aren't a true test that you're stable and for the most part if the data being written to your storage is corrupt then one day when you boot up the system it might have gone too far and you've lost all your data.
even so, it just means that stress testing is a waste of time.
Refresh
(19 items)
 
G1 Gaming
(3 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 Nvidia GTX 1080 G.Skill Trident 2x8gb DDR3 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 6tb Hitachi Deskstar 1tb HDD OCZ Trion 150 XSPC 360mm rad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK reservoir EK DCP Pump EK Supremacy Windows 10 Enterprise Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2713H Cooler Master Octane Corsair RM850i Phaneteks Enthoo Pro M Acylic 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Inferno Razer Mat Encore Enma DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
Refresh
(19 items)
 
G1 Gaming
(3 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 Nvidia GTX 1080 G.Skill Trident 2x8gb DDR3 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 6tb Hitachi Deskstar 1tb HDD OCZ Trion 150 XSPC 360mm rad 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK reservoir EK DCP Pump EK Supremacy Windows 10 Enterprise Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2713H Cooler Master Octane Corsair RM850i Phaneteks Enthoo Pro M Acylic 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Inferno Razer Mat Encore Enma DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19227 of 19649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiw View Post

It depends on the stress program used and the settings in the program, for example I got my 4670K to 4.8ghz and passed 20 runs of IBT AVX on Xtreme mode maximum.... but games would crash, I tried x264 and is would crash instantly.

I got my FX 8350 to 5ghz using prime 95 and it passed after a few hours, but failed IBT AVX on any setting because the voltage was too low.

Games aren't a true test that you're stable and for the most part if the data being written to your storage is corrupt then one day when you boot up the system it might have gone too far and you've lost all your data.

I dunno what your IT background is, but thinking that some random corruption is going to lose all of your data is a bit dramatic, in my technical opinion (20+ years as a Systems Engineer / Consultant). So maybe you get a corrupted boot loader worse case and your system won't boot up, you could easily recover with a WinPE or Linux boot disk. Could you lose something if corruption occurs? Of course you could, but losing everything? I don't think so. Also why I have a Xpenology NAS at home for data backups in case of any type of HD or device failure.

Having one situation where things are stable, vs another where they are not, could have to do with RAM stability and not CPU overclock. I am having a similar issue with Skylake right now, where my OC is rock solid, but my Corsair RAM at XMP settings is giving me rounding errors. So I have set my CPU back to stock to concentrate on the RAM stability in the meantime to decide if its time to ship it back, or it just needs some massaging of the timings, a little more voltage, some sys agent voltage, etc, etc.
Edited by TWiST2k - 10/7/16 at 8:39pm
post #19228 of 19649
My Vcore is 1.300. My Core is 4.7. My VCCIN is 1.950. My Uncore is 40x (manual default) and my Vuncore is auto and my computer is stable. When I set my Vuncore to 1.2 and my Uncore to 40, my computer black screen crashed. When I set my Vuncore to 1.2 and my Uncore to 35, my computer still black screen crashed. When I set my VCCIN to 2.0, Uncore to 35, Vuncore to 1.2, my computer black screen crashed. Manual and Override for the voltage settings, disabled EIST, C1E, and intel turbo boost technology. My C states are on auto because there is no disabled and I plan to C7 after I finish all my overclocks. CPU ration mode is fixed. All other settings are defaults. Guide says not to go over 2.1 VCCIN, but does my computer just really need a high VCCIN for overclocking? Or is there something else that's causing my crash? Again, it's always a black screen crashing that I get. Thank you.
Edited by rdL427 - 10/8/16 at 12:06am
post #19229 of 19649
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiST2k View Post

I dunno what your IT background is, but thinking that some random corruption is going to lose all of your data is a bit dramatic, in my technical opinion (20+ years as a Systems Engineer / Consultant). So maybe you get a corrupted boot loader worse case and your system won't boot up, you could easily recover with a WinPE or Linux boot disk. Could you lose something if corruption occurs? Of course you could, but losing everything? I don't think so. Also why I have a Xpenology NAS at home for data backups in case of any type of HD or device failure.

Having one situation where things are stable, vs another where they are not, could have to do with RAM stability and not CPU overclock. I am having a similar issue with Skylake right now, where my OC is rock solid, but my Corsair RAM at XMP settings is giving me rounding errors. So I have set my CPU back to stock to concentrate on the RAM stability in the meantime to decide if its time to ship it back, or it just needs some massaging of the timings, a little more voltage, some sys agent voltage, etc, etc.

Then send your ram back for RMA if they're not working at XMP settings... they're goofed.

I've lost all my data once with a very crap overclock and I'm not going to do it again, my drive was completely wiped, I tried to recover it on another pc and it was gone but I'm not an IT wizard like you I can build em and tune em but the stuff you get up to is on another level to me. Stress testing for me takes a day and once it's done its golden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netxzero View Post

even so, it just means that stress testing is a waste of time.

No... because I use a combo to make sure I'm stable, it's not a waste of time as my games don't crash and I don't lose work to random BSoD. People who say stress testing is a waste of time hasn't lost a windows install and a good 100 hours of work...
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19230 of 19649
Sold my 5960X setup cheap-ish and got a 4790K/Z97 ranger and 16gb RAM. Got 750 USD in between.

Now I can delid and OC the CPU further as the 4790K is cheap. tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]