Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] - Page 413

post #4121 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2507 View Post

Cool. So how do you figure what to change and by how much? Just guess and add/remove a bunch of vcore, or vrin, or vring, or SA/IOD/IOA, or drop core, or drop uncore.....? I was running 50x42, changed to 50x43 and the only thing i had to change was drop SA/IOD by .05v. How would i have figured that out if it BSOD'd randomly whilst gaming? I'm sure instinct would have been to raise either vrin, vcore or vring.

There's a lot of us on here trying to a) reach max clocks or b) run lowest voltage for a specific multi. I just don't get how you would do either of these just by running the computer on a day to day basis.

That's why I said that it depends on what you're trying to do with your PC. To get a rough idea as to whether or not your OC is stable, you can run 10-20 passes on LinX. If it passes that, then increase your multis. If you're running hours of stressing at each setting, then it'll take days or weeks to possibly approach your max OC - that doesn't seem like a good usage of time to me. Unless that's your idea of fun, or why you built your PC (to only run stability/stress tests), then go right ahead.

However, if your goal is to actually be able to use your PC: use LinX to find your rough "max OC". If you get a BSOD, check out the code that it's giving you and use that to determine what you need to change in the BIOS/UEFI. If you didnt' happen to see what code popped up in the BSOD, then use BlueScreenViewer to find out what the code was. This list will help you figure out the meaning of the code:

BSOD Code List
Edited by blaze2210 - 10/19/13 at 11:51am
post #4122 of 19539
Hey guys. I just picked up a 4670k about a week ago and have started playing around with overclocking today. The last chip I overclocked was an i7 950 so this a a little bit of a change for me. It's also my fist time using a board with UEFI rather than a standard BIOS. That's a huge change for me. The naming and terminology Asrock used thows me off a little too since I'm coming from an ASUS board. I read through the OP a couple times, taking a few notes, which helped greatly to get me started. I downloaded the Asrock A-Tuning utility to play around with overclocks inside Windows to get an idea of what I'm doing and I think I'm getting the hang of it now. So far I've only pushed to 4.2ghz with 1.2V with the max temp of any single core hitting 74 after 10 runs of IBT. I'm temporarily using a Corsair h55 with a 2150 Gentle Typhhon until I get my custom loop rebuilt. Just looking for some input and advice from the more seasoned Haswell overclockers. More specifically anyone that's using an Asrock Z87 Extreme3
BlackOut
(13 items)
 
Living Room HTPC
(11 items)
 
Bedroom HTPC
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Gigabyte Z97N-WiFi Zotac GTX 980 ti Reference 16gb Hyper X 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 256gb Raijintek EreBoss Core Edition  Win10 Pro x64  LG 29UM57-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm QuickFire TK w/ MX Browns Silverstone Strider Platinum 550 Raijintek Styx Logitech G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3 2100 Intel DH61BEB3 mATX XFX 6670 2GB 8gb GSkill Ares DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk SSD Plus 120gb SSD Seagate Barracuda 2TB Arctic Freezer 11 LP Win7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
47" LED TV Corsair CX430 SilverStone Grandia GD05B HTPC  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 MSI G41TM-E43 GT 610 2GB Corsair DDR2 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
64GB Crucial C300 WD Green 500GB Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Win7 Ultimate x64 
  hide details  
Reply
BlackOut
(13 items)
 
Living Room HTPC
(11 items)
 
Bedroom HTPC
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Gigabyte Z97N-WiFi Zotac GTX 980 ti Reference 16gb Hyper X 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 256gb Raijintek EreBoss Core Edition  Win10 Pro x64  LG 29UM57-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm QuickFire TK w/ MX Browns Silverstone Strider Platinum 550 Raijintek Styx Logitech G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3 2100 Intel DH61BEB3 mATX XFX 6670 2GB 8gb GSkill Ares DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk SSD Plus 120gb SSD Seagate Barracuda 2TB Arctic Freezer 11 LP Win7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
47" LED TV Corsair CX430 SilverStone Grandia GD05B HTPC  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 MSI G41TM-E43 GT 610 2GB Corsair DDR2 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
64GB Crucial C300 WD Green 500GB Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Win7 Ultimate x64 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4123 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by morencyam View Post

Hey guys. I just picked up a 4670k about a week ago and have started playing around with overclocking today. The last chip I overclocked was an i7 950 so this a a little bit of a change for me. It's also my fist time using a board with UEFI rather than a standard BIOS. That's a huge change for me. The naming and terminology Asrock used thows me off a little too since I'm coming from an ASUS board. I read through the OP a couple times, taking a few notes, which helped greatly to get me started. I downloaded the Asrock A-Tuning utility to play around with overclocks inside Windows to get an idea of what I'm doing and I think I'm getting the hang of it now. So far I've only pushed to 4.2ghz with 1.2V with the max temp of any single core hitting 74 after 10 runs of IBT. I'm temporarily using a Corsair h55 with a 2150 Gentle Typhhon until I get my custom loop rebuilt. Just looking for some input and advice from the more seasoned Haswell overclockers. More specifically anyone that's using an Asrock Z87 Extreme3

Right on, welcome to the fun!! This UEFI is definitely a switch, I came from an LGA775 E8500....So this was a massive jump for me. There are a bunch of resources available, possibly not for your exact mobo, but the core settings and how they react to the CPU are pretty much similar regardless of the board that's being used.

What kind of OC are you trying to achieve?
post #4124 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze2210 View Post

Right on, welcome to the fun!! This UEFI is definitely a switch, I came from an LGA775 E8500....So this was a massive jump for me. There are a bunch of resources available, possibly not for your exact mobo, but the core settings and how they react to the CPU are pretty much similar regardless of the board that's being used.

What kind of OC are you trying to achieve?

Yeah, I've been having a hard time find any info on my board other than the small section in a few reviews, but they really aren't too helpful. I'm really not trying to break any OC record or anything. I kind of want to see what the max OC i can get out of the chip is, but that won't happen until after the custom loop is done, and probably a delid. I really don't use my rig for anything other than gaming and browsing around the interwebz.
BlackOut
(13 items)
 
Living Room HTPC
(11 items)
 
Bedroom HTPC
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Gigabyte Z97N-WiFi Zotac GTX 980 ti Reference 16gb Hyper X 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 256gb Raijintek EreBoss Core Edition  Win10 Pro x64  LG 29UM57-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm QuickFire TK w/ MX Browns Silverstone Strider Platinum 550 Raijintek Styx Logitech G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3 2100 Intel DH61BEB3 mATX XFX 6670 2GB 8gb GSkill Ares DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk SSD Plus 120gb SSD Seagate Barracuda 2TB Arctic Freezer 11 LP Win7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
47" LED TV Corsair CX430 SilverStone Grandia GD05B HTPC  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 MSI G41TM-E43 GT 610 2GB Corsair DDR2 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
64GB Crucial C300 WD Green 500GB Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Win7 Ultimate x64 
  hide details  
Reply
BlackOut
(13 items)
 
Living Room HTPC
(11 items)
 
Bedroom HTPC
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 4670K Gigabyte Z97N-WiFi Zotac GTX 980 ti Reference 16gb Hyper X 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 256gb Raijintek EreBoss Core Edition  Win10 Pro x64  LG 29UM57-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm QuickFire TK w/ MX Browns Silverstone Strider Platinum 550 Raijintek Styx Logitech G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3 2100 Intel DH61BEB3 mATX XFX 6670 2GB 8gb GSkill Ares DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk SSD Plus 120gb SSD Seagate Barracuda 2TB Arctic Freezer 11 LP Win7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
47" LED TV Corsair CX430 SilverStone Grandia GD05B HTPC  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 MSI G41TM-E43 GT 610 2GB Corsair DDR2 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
64GB Crucial C300 WD Green 500GB Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Win7 Ultimate x64 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4125 of 19539
Overclocking i7 4770k @ 4.5GHz

i7 4770k
Asus Maximus VI Extreme with Bios 0605 x64
Nvidia 690 GTX
Corsair H100i
G Skill Ripjaws 8GB 2133 Mhz
CPU Core Ratio 45
Min CPU Cache Ratio 39
Max CPU Cache Ratio 39
CPU Bus Speed: DRAM speed ratio mode AUTO
Memory Frecuency 2133MHz
CPU Core Voltage 1.253125
CPU Cache Voltage 1.15
CPU System Agent Voltage AUTO
CPU Analog I/O Voltage 1.05
CPU Digital I/O Voltage 1.05
DRam Voltage 1.65

After 20 passes of x264 Benchmark



What voltages or settings should I play to reduce heat in my system?
Edited by elrana - 10/19/13 at 12:14pm
post #4126 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze2210 View Post

That's why I said that it depends on what you're trying to do with your PC. To get a rough idea as to whether or not your OC is stable, you can run 10-20 passes on LinX. If it passes that, then increase your multis. If you're running hours of stressing at each setting, then it'll take days or weeks to possibly approach your max OC - that doesn't seem like a good usage of time to me. Unless that's your idea of fun, or why you built your PC (to only run stability/stress tests), then go right ahead.

However, if your goal is to actually be able to use your PC: use LinX to find your rough "max OC". If you get a BSOD, check out the code that it's giving you and use that to determine what you need to change in the BIOS/UEFI. If you didnt' happen to see what code popped up in the BSOD, then use BlueScreenViewer to find out what the code was. This list will help you figure out the meaning of the code:

BSOD Code List

Ah right, crossed wires, i thought you were just saying go game or email etc without any stressing. I do similar to you in that case and run x264, not linX. I then run XTU bench, another short one. After this point i know i'm 98% of the way there and then run a long stress to get that last bit rock solid. Each to their own i guess!thumb.gif
post #4127 of 19539
I am having some serious memory problems on my new system - Have to look into timings soon, been blessed in the past by that big shiny "XMP" button - It just will not cut it on Haswell.

4.8Ghz stable @ 1.25Vcore (XTU stable that is) - Yummi yum chip smile.gif

Will post final results as soon as I get this damn memory dialed in.
Frozen Kaveri
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-7850K Gigabyte F2A88X-UP4 XFX R7 250 G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 120GB Samsung EVO 120GB Crucial M500 240GB Little Devil Phasechange 
OSPowerCase
Windows 8.1 Corsair AX860i Lian Li PC-A51 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K  ROG Maximus VI Impact HD 7990 Corsair Platinum 2666Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 SSD 3 x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 240 EK Supremacy Precise Mount Add-On Naked Ivy CPU... EK Supremacy - Clean full nickel 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
Alphacool Heatmaster II Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM Windows 7 X64 Silverstone Strider Evolution 750W 
Case
Caselabs S3 w. pedestal 
  hide details  
Reply
Frozen Kaveri
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-7850K Gigabyte F2A88X-UP4 XFX R7 250 G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 120GB Samsung EVO 120GB Crucial M500 240GB Little Devil Phasechange 
OSPowerCase
Windows 8.1 Corsair AX860i Lian Li PC-A51 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K  ROG Maximus VI Impact HD 7990 Corsair Platinum 2666Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 830 SSD 3 x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 240 EK Supremacy Precise Mount Add-On Naked Ivy CPU... EK Supremacy - Clean full nickel 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
Alphacool Heatmaster II Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM Windows 7 X64 Silverstone Strider Evolution 750W 
Case
Caselabs S3 w. pedestal 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4128 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwizzie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post

Well, I've had an EVGA GTX 780 w/ only a 1/4 of the die covered in TIM go bad and either a motherboard or a CPU go bad, as well as wonky USB issues w/ my mouse, a board that likes to reboot "oddly," and a ton of weird glitches in Windows 8. So I full well expected it to explode and burn my home down. mad.gif
Sounds like your computer is a real champ, lol. arrowheadsmiley.png

Yeah, up until recently I had been afraid to use it. So very, very frustrating when your PC's unstable @ stock settings. frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by byardz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by [CyGnus] View Post

I am more concerned about now, in the Future i probably have changed my CPU smile.gif (i change CPU 1 or 2 times a year)

What's the point in changing a CPU that many times?

Games still run fine on even first gen I7s.

Do you do more than game with it?

While, not an i7, my i5 760 was crap in BF3. Moving to the 4670K double my frames and eliminated all the stutter/hitching. It's a like a completely different game.

Anyone got any ideas for good games to play on the HD 4600? I'm GPU less til Nv releases the 780 Ti.
post #4129 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2507 View Post

Ah right, crossed wires, i thought you were just saying go game or email etc without any stressing. I do similar to you in that case and run x264, not linX. I then run XTU bench, another short one. After this point i know i'm 98% of the way there and then run a long stress to get that last bit rock solid. Each to their own i guess!thumb.gif

In my case, I don't have a 2nd PC to use, so stressing that long is completely out of the question for me. I prefer to be able to figure out whats going on, then solve it right then. Also, if it turns out that you're using too much voltage, then stressing the CPU with that amount could be bad for your chip (logically). So far, my method has helped me get to my current OC - 4.6ghz with a 4.4 cache. Some fine tuning is in order, but I've been enjoying my OC for a bit. biggrin.gif
post #4130 of 19539
anyone with same situation?

Run prime95 and Vcore goes up to 1.34V according to CPUZ, very hot max 95C on water, core 0 hottest and core 3 10C lower
Run x264 bench and Vcore only goes to 1.25v in CPUZ, about 8-10C lower same temp difference between cores 0 and 3

Core ratio x45
1.25V in BIOS
Ring ratio 35
Ring ratio 1.062
ram @ 1600 MHz
VCCIN 1.92
CPU SA Voltage 0.840
CPU IO Analog Voltage 1.008
Adaptive mode in both Ring and Core Voltages, C states enabled C7 and balanced mode in Windows.

both test crash after a while. any suggestions?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel® Core™ i7-5960X @ 4.5 GHz Asus Rampage V Extreme Asus GTX 1080 Strix Asus GTX 1080 Strix 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Dominator Platinum 3000 DDR4 Samsung 950 Pro NVM Express Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB 6.0Gb/s Intel 750 Series 1.2 Tb PCIE SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom Loop EKWB  Windows 10 Home ASUS PB287Q UHD 4K Razer Black Widow Chroma 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200i  Thermaltake Core W100 Razer Deathadder Chroma Corsair MM200 
AudioOther
Logitech Z323 2.1 Sound System Headphones Razer Kraken Pro White 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel® Core™ i7-5960X @ 4.5 GHz Asus Rampage V Extreme Asus GTX 1080 Strix Asus GTX 1080 Strix 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Dominator Platinum 3000 DDR4 Samsung 950 Pro NVM Express Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB 6.0Gb/s Intel 750 Series 1.2 Tb PCIE SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom Loop EKWB  Windows 10 Home ASUS PB287Q UHD 4K Razer Black Widow Chroma 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200i  Thermaltake Core W100 Razer Deathadder Chroma Corsair MM200 
AudioOther
Logitech Z323 2.1 Sound System Headphones Razer Kraken Pro White 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]