Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] - Page 627

post #6261 of 19539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post


The two differences between this generation and those past, again according to Asus' in house testing on 100s of CPUs as reported in their forums and in JJ's videos.

1. When you increase Core Voltage on HW, it has a higher corresponding increase in temperature than we have seen before in previous generations.
2. HW has a much wider difference in variabiity between different units off the line .... one chip might get to 4.6 at 1.15v, another might take 1.40v to hit same speed.

There's still uncore and input voltage.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteironknuckle View Post
 

 

Benefits were not just in hyper-threaded situations, and it's not just "some" programs, it's actually a fair majority (clarifying because I don't want anyone to think I claimed a 20% increase over a small handful of minority programs). I hope you understand that coming at a question with the perspective of "you are a beginner and I will help you because you are too dumb to know the difference between two processors you own" can really get you off on the wrong foot with people, particularly those who were not looking for an elementary definition on the differences between the hardware. It was, rather, a personal account of how those who are heavy OCers in the thread view Haswell, and if they personally regret it, due to others writing it off for the same reasons you answered my question with (reasons I had inferred in one of my posts).

 

I also hope you understand why I'm not linking to the individual pages here, but these were my sources:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_4770k_review,1.html | Fry Render x64 (17%), Cinebench 11.5 (25.6%), Espresso (18% faster), Handbrake (22%), 3DMark (12%), 3DMark Vantage (16.6%), Mandel Fractal Calculation (10.5%), CPU Z-Lib (15.4%), Queen Math (12%), SHA Hashing (41.7%) 19% average increase

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested | Cinebench Single Thread (15%), Cinebench Multi-Thread (30%), POV Ray (23%), 7-Zip Single Thread (7%), 7-Zip Multi-Thread (9%), PCMark 7 (26.7%), x264 HD 1 (15.8%), X264 HD 2 (22%), TrueCrypt AES (25.7%), Visual Studio (18% faster) 19.22% average increase

 

And this is excluding the fact that they were benching the 2700k and not the 2600k, which is what I upgraded from.

I don't think it would be intelligence, it's just information. Intelligence is different than igorance. Neither do I know you have two CPUs. I don't recall the original post have you saying you're testing two CPUs, and more info never hurts. Nobody else so far has adopted this position of me giving out more info than asked for is actually insulting. Many people who post never even read the first post. See, just a week ago, I've been criticized because my info is too complex. Now it's too simple. I already mentioned that, I felt those who upgraded from Sandy to Haswell I do not feel is a good choice, those who upgraded before it's a good choice. That tells you how I feel. If you're only interested in my own personal circumstance, what build I happened to have before that, that's more of a random detail to me in this case... I upgraded from a Q6600, so in my case by my own beliefs, Haswell was a good choice.

 

I'll look at those soon but I hope those are adjusted for average OCs.

Undelwalt (2017)
(29 items)
 
 
Celapaleis (2013)
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7600k @ 5.197/1.392 1.392v z170 Asus Hero EVGA 1080ti SC Black (2100/6250) x2 8gb GSkill Trident Z 3600 @ 3804 15-15-15-32-2T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512gb (Undelwalt) WD Red 2tb (Pack Yak II) Seagate Expansion Drive 5tb (Phoenix Down II) 3x560mm HardwareLabs Nemesis GTX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XPSC Raystorm Pro Watercool Heatkiller 1080ti Full Cover Waterblock EK XTOP Revo Dual D5 (Serial, PWM, v4) EK ZMT (1/2 - 3/4 ID OD) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
14xEK ACF (Compression Fittings) EK x4 250 (v2) Distilled Water + PT Nuke (Copper Sulphate) 24x140mm Silent Wings 3 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Catleap 27 Inch 2560x1440 IPS 60hz Display Coolermaster Storm Trigger (Brown Switches) EVGA P2 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Air 540 Logitech G Pro Tek Syndicate "Raze the World" Desk Mat O2 + Odac by Mayflower Electronics (Rev A) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 800 2xKrk Rokit 6 G2 Blue Yeti (Grey) Rode PSA-1 Arm 
Other
Aquaero 6 LT + Aluminum Heatsink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k Delid @ 4.848/4.848 Asus z170 Hero MSI GTX 980ti @ 1499/4082 1.25v/134% Power 2 x 8gb Gskills Ripjaws V 3131 16-16-16-32 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Pro Series 840 256gb (Celapaleis) 1 TB Samsung Drive (Pack Yak) Samsung Pro Series 850 256gb (Celapaleis Reprise) Phoenix Down (External Backup) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua D14 Kraken x61 Push-Pull for GPU Windows 10 Pro Catleap 2560x1440 @ 60hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Trigger Brown Switches EVGA Supernova 1000w P2 Corsair 540 Air Razer Abyssus 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries QcK Mini Blue Yeti Microphone Objective Dac + Amp Sescom AB Switch 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Krk Rokit 6 G2 x2 Radioshack Ground Loop Isolator (For Rokits) Wooaudio Aluminum Headphone Stand Sennheiser HD 800 
AudioOther
Logitech c920 Webcam NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Undelwalt (2017)
(29 items)
 
 
Celapaleis (2013)
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7600k @ 5.197/1.392 1.392v z170 Asus Hero EVGA 1080ti SC Black (2100/6250) x2 8gb GSkill Trident Z 3600 @ 3804 15-15-15-32-2T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512gb (Undelwalt) WD Red 2tb (Pack Yak II) Seagate Expansion Drive 5tb (Phoenix Down II) 3x560mm HardwareLabs Nemesis GTX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XPSC Raystorm Pro Watercool Heatkiller 1080ti Full Cover Waterblock EK XTOP Revo Dual D5 (Serial, PWM, v4) EK ZMT (1/2 - 3/4 ID OD) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
14xEK ACF (Compression Fittings) EK x4 250 (v2) Distilled Water + PT Nuke (Copper Sulphate) 24x140mm Silent Wings 3 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Catleap 27 Inch 2560x1440 IPS 60hz Display Coolermaster Storm Trigger (Brown Switches) EVGA P2 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Air 540 Logitech G Pro Tek Syndicate "Raze the World" Desk Mat O2 + Odac by Mayflower Electronics (Rev A) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 800 2xKrk Rokit 6 G2 Blue Yeti (Grey) Rode PSA-1 Arm 
Other
Aquaero 6 LT + Aluminum Heatsink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k Delid @ 4.848/4.848 Asus z170 Hero MSI GTX 980ti @ 1499/4082 1.25v/134% Power 2 x 8gb Gskills Ripjaws V 3131 16-16-16-32 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Pro Series 840 256gb (Celapaleis) 1 TB Samsung Drive (Pack Yak) Samsung Pro Series 850 256gb (Celapaleis Reprise) Phoenix Down (External Backup) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua D14 Kraken x61 Push-Pull for GPU Windows 10 Pro Catleap 2560x1440 @ 60hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Trigger Brown Switches EVGA Supernova 1000w P2 Corsair 540 Air Razer Abyssus 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries QcK Mini Blue Yeti Microphone Objective Dac + Amp Sescom AB Switch 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Krk Rokit 6 G2 x2 Radioshack Ground Loop Isolator (For Rokits) Wooaudio Aluminum Headphone Stand Sennheiser HD 800 
AudioOther
Logitech c920 Webcam NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6262 of 19539
Is there any point in leaving power saving modes ON for CPU if vcore is set on manual fix voltage?
My Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770k @ 4.1Ghz  Asus z87-Plus XFX Double D r9 290X G Skill Sniper 8GB @ 2133 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 10 Pro 27 Inch 1440P PLS @ 110Hz Mechanical Keyboard MX Red Steelseries Kana 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Mouse pad Samson SR850 Headphones/Asus Xonar Sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4770k @ 4.1Ghz  Asus z87-Plus XFX Double D r9 290X G Skill Sniper 8GB @ 2133 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 10 Pro 27 Inch 1440P PLS @ 110Hz Mechanical Keyboard MX Red Steelseries Kana 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Mouse pad Samson SR850 Headphones/Asus Xonar Sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6263 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwizzie View Post

There's still uncore and input voltage.

I don't think it would be intelligence, it's just information. Intelligence is different than igorance. Neither do I know you have two CPUs. I don't recall the original post have you saying you're testing two CPUs, and more info never hurts. Nobody else so far has adopted this position of me giving out more info than asked for is actually insulting. Many people who post never even read the first post. See, just a week ago, I've been criticized because my info is too complex. Now it's too simple. I already mentioned that, I felt those who upgraded from Sandy to Haswell I do not feel is a good choice, those who upgraded before it's a good choice. That tells you how I feel. If you're only interested in my own personal circumstance, what build I happened to have before that, that's more of a random detail to me in this case... I upgraded from a Q6600, so in my case by my own beliefs, Haswell was a good choice.

I'll look at those soon but I hope those are adjusted for average OCs.

I upgraded from an E8500 to this 4670k (now running at 4.6ghz w/ 2400mhz RAM).... sonic.gif
post #6264 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwizzie View Post

There's still uncore and input voltage

I think JJ knows about them smile.gif .... I was quoting their data and observations..... Ya can get higher OCs by messing with other voltages but it must be mentioned that when ya slow other parts of the machine down, there is a hit on performance. That's why I had tried to find out if ya data showed what % was able to hit 4.6, 4.7, 4.8 etc without taking anything else to a lower setting.

I notived in like 2 outta 25-30 runs of RoG Real Bench.....my VID was set at 1.380 and adaptive would typically have it bouncing between 1.392 and 1.408 (same as SB build w/ LLC) but occassionally Vcore would spike a bit higher like 1.424 for half a second....the think that stunned me tho.....was VID had a instantaneous max of 1.47. I'm used to VCore changing with load due to LLC w/ SB or HW adaptive but the VID thing was a surprise....especially as it's rare occurrence. Have you seen similar behavior /?
911 Carrera
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel w/ EK Supremacy Cooling Block - Clean P... Asus Maximus VI Formula 2 x Asus GTX 780 DCII w/ EK Full Cover Blocks a... Mushkin Red Line Ridgeback 2 x 8GB DDR302400 10... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB (2 x Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cach... Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blue Ray Writer 1 x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45-420 + 1 x Alphacool ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
1 x Swiftech 35x2 w/ Heatsink and NB Fan EK -MultiOption RES X3 250 White Acetal Reservoir 5 x PH-F140SP_BK_BLED + 5 x PH-F140SP_BK E22 Rigid 10/12 Acrylic Tubing and Bitspower Ma... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x Reeven Six Eyes Fan Controller Windows 7 64 Bit Professional OEM ASUS VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz Monitor Logitech G19s 920-004985 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-1250 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis Asus RoG GX950 Laser Mouse  Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
911 Carrera
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel w/ EK Supremacy Cooling Block - Clean P... Asus Maximus VI Formula 2 x Asus GTX 780 DCII w/ EK Full Cover Blocks a... Mushkin Red Line Ridgeback 2 x 8GB DDR302400 10... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB (2 x Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cach... Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blue Ray Writer 1 x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45-420 + 1 x Alphacool ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
1 x Swiftech 35x2 w/ Heatsink and NB Fan EK -MultiOption RES X3 250 White Acetal Reservoir 5 x PH-F140SP_BK_BLED + 5 x PH-F140SP_BK E22 Rigid 10/12 Acrylic Tubing and Bitspower Ma... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x Reeven Six Eyes Fan Controller Windows 7 64 Bit Professional OEM ASUS VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz Monitor Logitech G19s 920-004985 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-1250 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis Asus RoG GX950 Laser Mouse  Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6265 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwizzie View Post
 

There's still uncore and input voltage.

 

I don't think it would be intelligence, it's just information. Intelligence is different than igorance. Neither do I know you have two CPUs. I don't recall the original post have you saying you're testing two CPUs, and more info never hurts. Nobody else so far has adopted this position of me giving out more info than asked for is actually insulting. Many people who post never even read the first post. See, just a week ago, I've been criticized because my info is too complex. Now it's too simple. I already mentioned that, I felt those who upgraded from Sandy to Haswell I do not feel is a good choice, those who upgraded before it's a good choice. That tells you how I feel. If you're only interested in my own personal circumstance, what build I happened to have before that, that's more of a random detail to me in this case... I upgraded from a Q6600, so in my case by my own beliefs, Haswell was a good choice.

 

I'll look at those soon but I hope those are adjusted for average OCs.

 

It is base performance, not OC. I never said I went for the 4770k because it had some sort of over clock gain over Sandy, either. Because this confuses me I am going to go back through the thread.

 

 

 

Semantics have nothing to do with it. Assuming I am ignorant about such a trivial thing was another mistake (more on this common support mistake later in my post). If this helps explain any: your info was neither too simple, nor too complex, it just didn't apply to the context of the situation, assuming the situation was something other than what it was. When I ask how people personally feel, as overclockers, about their Haswell purchase, giving me info on YMMV stuff doesn't answer it. 

 

This is what I found: 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteironknuckle View Post
 

How many here, as overclockers/powerusers, feel that Haswell was worth getting?

 

 

The key word here is feel. This is a thread of people OCing Haswell. In my signature it very clearly says I own the 4770k, so from that one can surmise that I am not asking this question in order to find out if it's worth it for me to buy. It also brings up the question, why would I ask this after purchasing Haswell, if I had no idea some people didn't think it was worth getting? I asked because I did know, and wanted to see if others were still fans. Since these limitations are limitations that apply exclusively to OCers and power users, and given the way I phrased my question, I can't see how someone would assume what you did. And all of that is completely ignoring the fact that I have posted in this thread before about OCing my Haswell chip.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteironknuckle View Post
 

I feel the same as others who bring up the benefits. The Z87 drew me in, along with a 20% performance boost that would last me until e-Haswell. I brought up the discussion because a lot of people have given real snide remarks when the learn I went to Haswell because "haswell isn't for desktops!" I just can't think in the mindset of "11% increase isn't worth it over Ivy!" when Z87 brings so much to the table, and when I'm done with it Haswell would make for a lovely little media box/spare computer chip. :o 

 

I don't like the stereotype of "real over clockers would never buy Haswell!" 

 

 

My wording was definitely confusing here, but my point from my first quote still stands. When I mentioned Ivy here it was referring to upgrade path (this was supposed to be obvious but rereading it now this is my face: blinksmiley.gif  I don't know how I thought that was worded clearly, it was late at night). I have been told by a lot of people that I should have gone with Ivy instead of Haswell because it wouldn't involve a new motherboard and Ivy was "enough of an increase" for me. You quoted and responded to this by explaining to me that processors generally do not have big gains over the previous generation. I specifically quoted 11%--a number mentioned by some tech review sites--and others calling that a small increase. Why on earth would you read that post and assume I need to be told that the increase is small?

 

I responded to this, irritated, because in your post you then went on to discuss voltage (which applies to Ivy as well) but completely ignored the original question of "how do you feel?"  If you had solely been responding to that post out of context, it would have been totally understandable. But you went on to quote my original question, confused as to how you didn't answer it and saying I wanted "help." Seeing as I own the processor (it's in my signature) how would asking about whether other people felt it was worth it help me in any way?

 

Then when I repeated myself, you answered the wrong question again, saying "YMMV." Well, that's great, but it doesn't answer the "feel" part of the question at all, since I don't care about general mileage here, I was talking about how overclockers felt after buying a processor with this known issue/limitation. I had even explained in the other post quoted above how I hated the stereotype of "upgrading is worthless." I didn't regret upgrading, but other people make posts that tell me the upgrade was useless and pointless etc etc. 

 

I was, at this point, feeling very much like I wasn't being listened to. I felt as though someone else was choosing what they felt like hearing rather than what I was actually saying.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwizzie View Post
 

 

So you still think I'm talking down to you? You want to revise that statement/position? How come other people understood but I do not... If you're not going to bother clarifying a query, go to some other thread. If you respond my original reply meant to help, with lots of info with, 'this was completely useless, read what I wrote', etc etc, those snide comments are not welcome here. Cinebench results show a 20% gain over Sandy? At the same clock speed, yeah. You think the average OC for Haswell is 5ghz? The only way you can really tell what the average Haswell OC is with my chart because it's the only chart I know of ATM with picture-verified settings, clock settings averaged, charted, for all to see. Else you're most likely guessing what the average OC actually is.

 

You come here for help. I'm not doing this back and forth BS anymore. Count me out of any future replies to you. 

 

 

 

At first I ignored this because I hate conflict, and I was hoping you'd leave it alone, but now I will give this a genuine answer.

 

1. Yes I felt you were talking down to me, by ignoring what the question was and instead giving textbook/cookie cutter answers. This isn't some contest of who is being more talked down to.

2. Nobody else had an issue understanding it, and when I point this out you tell me to leave your thread because I won't explain. Instead you could have looked back at the other people's answers and see that we were never discussing the hard numbers or whether or not it was wroth it "in general." We were discussing personal value.

3. Discussing the highest potential/highest average over clock value not only has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about (UNLESS this was your personal reason for feeling Haswell wasn't worth it, but it wasn't, you were arguing this as a fact), it's ignoring that a performance increase implies at the same clock speed. I brought up Cinebench specifically, which is usually always done at equal clock speed. I wasn't talking about the maximum OC when I talked about performance increase. I gave you a chance to go back, re-read and start over because I thought it was really easy to understand.

4. I literally said nothing about average overclock and you begin swearing at me on the internet over it. Swearing makes people not react rationally. So does punching them, come to think of it...

 

 

I don't care about right or wrong here. I care about the fact that we someone had two separate arguments with each other at the same time. You thought we were arguing about x, I thought we were arguing about q. I hate stuff like this. I did try at some points to explain that no, this argument is about Q! But I couldn't get through.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteironknuckle View Post
 

 

In my post, I quoted Sandy. I was on a 2600k, though I just quote he 2700k benches because nobody cares about my poor old weak processor laughingsmiley.gif. The Visual Studio gains in particular appealed to me. I have also noticed a significant reduction in rendering time for other programs I use. You had answered my question perfectly, though.

 

In regards to 5GHz, I have a friend who literally burned through four Ivy 3770ks trying to OC beyond 4.6GHz on air cooling. Now, Ivy is different from Sandy, but even with Sandy I kept  myself at 4.5GHz even though I could theoretically become stable at a higher one. I don't like running warm let alone hot. I made some pretty awful OCing mistakes as a teenager and learned my lesson from them. But it just seems to me, and this is just what I have noticed anecdotally, that a lot of the people railing against Haswell don't even OC their Sandy/Ivy chips beyond Haswell's majority limit of 4.5GHz (after which people start to find it's unstable if they have a bad chip). Doesn't mean they need to buy Haswell, just their opinions about it sucking for power users are silly.

 

 

 I make no claim about Haswell OCing better here; I instead say that the people who are complaining to me about how much Haswell sucks for power-users don't even overclock that much, so they have no right to make the claim. Also here I specifically mention the model of Sandy being compared, clarifying that I had been talking about i7 to i7 with my "20% increase" and also doubly clarifying that this was a clock speed comparison and not a max OC comparison.

 

 

My explanation didn't work. You continued to give advice to me as if I don't own Haswell.

 

You mentioned i5. My mistake here was avoiding correcting you, and potentially misreading (for which I am sorry) your post about i5. This was at around 4AM for me so I think I had assumed you were saying there was little difference with i5s. You were however talking about max OCing again, when I was talking about how the same clock speed. My post in response was defensive due to the assumption on my part that you were talking about Haswell i5 vs Sandy i5 when I was talking about i7. I was still annoyed, though, because at the end you said "The word around town is that Haswell can be pretty hot, hotter than Sandy, so if you don't even like to run things warm, then it's going to be an issue. And if you like to run your Prime before declaring the settings stable, you will have a hard time doing much with Haswell at all." This is only relevant if I don't own Haswell, when I do. I correct this by discussing at length my temps with Haswell.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwizzie View Post
 

While you might know 20% is for some applications, for the sake of random people passing by, please specify that it's 20% for these hyperthreaded applications. If it is true that somebody who writes this guide can get mislead by reading that, imagine if I'm brand new to this... I'd think i5 vs i5 would be 20% faster based on a skim.

 

The request to see i7 vs i7, Haswell vs Sandy with Sandy being 20% slower isn't just a challenge, I actually want to see it even if I'm wrong. You have to understand, people sometimes run into the guide and make random, unfounded claims. One random guy actually came here to troll by spilling BS all over. I have to maintain some level of skepticism, and even if I take what others say on face value, others won't nessesarily believe me if I don't cough up some charts. And I'm not in the position to test both i7s.

 

 

At this point, even re-reading I can't find the place where you challenged me to show proof. That's the only reason I hadn't provided the benchmarks I did this morning. Once you made this post I realized it and posted my evidence. We have now looped full circle to me providing evidence for my initial discussion and you being ready to evaluate it based on OCing, which wasn't part of the discussion.

 

Now I realize this post is long, and rambling, but I wanted to make sure I made everything as clear as possible here. A shortened version of what happened is listed here:

 

Person 1 Asks Question - > Person 2 joins in discussion, does not understand question, defaults to giving advice to newcomers* - > Person 1 is a little offended that Person 2 thought he/she was a newbie, gently probes Person 2 to reread, thinking Person 2 will immediately understand that they just missed one word  - > Person 2 does not, person 2 is now on the defensive because their help has been rejected, further misunderstands question - > Person 1 does not wish to take part in the discussion anymore because every time Person 2 replies, it is with the assumption that Person 1 is less knowledgable/more ignorant than Person 1 actually is, Person 1 becomes unhelpful and rigid

 

This cycles, but you get the gist. Perhaps if both of us had spent less time being offended and more time swelling it up and gently clarifying/making sure we were both on the same page, rather than making it a right vs wrong thing, this whole thing would have been better off.

 

 

* I like to call this "TechSupport-itis." It's very common for those who are used to helping a lot of beginners (or in some cases flat out impossibly stupid people) to go into autopilot when they see a question. On tech support forums sometimes you will find that a question was never answered at all by a person with the knowledge to answer it, because their brain filled in the question with what they are used to seeing. Most recently, someone was asking if there was a manual for Forza 5, because they wanted to see more details about how the way the experience worked. Tech support responded to this query by telling the person the benefits of gaining XP, almost verbatim from what the game already tells you. Tech support did not actually answer this person's question, or address it at any time. I had some serious issues with this when I was a help desk technician because it's so easy to go on autopilot that you forget when you are talking to a professional/someone who knows more about computers than "push button to turn on." It's understandable and nobody is immune, not even me. The big problem with it is that when you are in autopilot mode, you can accidentally offend someone who does know what they are talking about by making them feel like you don't care what they have to say, or flat out think they are the same noobie computer user you usually have to deal with. When they get defensive, it's hard for the dialogue to continue in a productive manner. Especially if after a long stressful day of answering questions, you are annoyed that this client is mad at you for seemingly no reason. 

 

tl;dr don't fight people it makes kittens cry

Current Set-Up
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-4770k  ASUS Sabertooth z87 GTX 780 12GB DDR3 1833 G.SKill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Seagate External (put inside machine) Crucial SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black ASUS DRW-2014L1T SCSI Noctua NC-14 Windows 8 Pro  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
CentOS Dell U2412 Dell U2412 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate / CM Cherry Browns 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
AX850 Silverstone TJ-07 Steelseries Sensei Audio Technica W1000x 
Audio
WA6 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Set-Up
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-4770k  ASUS Sabertooth z87 GTX 780 12GB DDR3 1833 G.SKill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Seagate External (put inside machine) Crucial SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black ASUS DRW-2014L1T SCSI Noctua NC-14 Windows 8 Pro  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
CentOS Dell U2412 Dell U2412 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate / CM Cherry Browns 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
AX850 Silverstone TJ-07 Steelseries Sensei Audio Technica W1000x 
Audio
WA6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6266 of 19539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post


I think JJ knows about them smile.gif .... I was quoting their data and observations..... Ya can get higher OCs by messing with other voltages but it must be mentioned that when ya slow other parts of the machine down, there is a hit on performance. That's why I had tried to find out if ya data showed what % was able to hit 4.6, 4.7, 4.8 etc without taking anything else to a lower setting.

I notived in like 2 outta 25-30 runs of RoG Real Bench.....my VID was set at 1.380 and adaptive would typically have it bouncing between 1.392 and 1.408 (same as SB build w/ LLC) but occassionally Vcore would spike a bit higher like 1.424 for half a second....the think that stunned me tho.....was VID had a instantaneous max of 1.47. I'm used to VCore changing with load due to LLC w/ SB or HW adaptive but the VID thing was a surprise....especially as it's rare occurrence. Have you seen similar behavior /?

 

What parts are you talking about when you mentioned other parts of the machine? Like, GPU, or other parts of the CPU, like uncore vs core?

 There are certain things I disagree with JJ completely on, like 1:1 cache ratio. Other things are not mentioned, like input voltage being a big factor in higher Vcore values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteironknuckle View Post

-

I read your tl;dr. I agree with your tl;dr.

I am not challenging your intelligence because I don't care about your intelligence. Nobody here cares if you're a newbie or a seasoned pro, just like how you might not care if *insert random username* is a seasoned pro. Likewise, I think you don't care if I'm stupid or smart... and if you do, I doubt you'd be thinking about it 5 minutes after you left the thread. This is perfectly normal and is how many social situations are run. This is why I am not implying you are dumb in any way. Your intelligence didn't even pass through my mind because it's totally irrelevent. When people come to a help thread, they often don't know as much about Haswell, so that is my typical starting assumption. That's the nature of a thread like this.

 

I do this thread the way I do to try to find and misconceptions for the sake of helping people to make sure all the info is there. Even if you've probably already looked up all this, I'd still repeat what I said to make sure. I thought I was giving the full picture by typing out more info. Often times this leads to a person reading part of it and not agreeing or knowing part of what I said. This is how you weed out misconceptions. I do this not to assert superiority, but rather to fix any possible issues one may encounter down the road. Half of the people that come here didn't read the original thread when posting their first question. Now, if you're going to assume that anybody that answers with something you already know that they are talking down upon you, you will have a hard time enjoying conversations in general, but especially in every single help thread. My guide and all guides assume you don't know something, so they flat out tell you anyways. The assumption is, if you already know it, good, you wasted 30 seconds of your life. If you don't know what's on it, then you learn something. If a guide displaying all the data and assuming you don't know how to overclock at all is insulting, and you also find people who respond with more info than you ask for which you know already... as also offensive, then I'm afraid you just get offended too easily. You're twisting a practical method of helping others into some sort of ego trip on my part where I try to spin you as some sort of n00b/idiot. Semantics are important, otherwise I can randomly substitute which words I use with a random word. The issue would be semantics.

 

Being dumb =/= being a newbie 

Being dumb (lacking intelligence) =/= Have not read up on OC info

 

If me leaving you alone is your top priority then you obviously could've ignored me completely. Or leave this thread, if you're really that annoyed by me, as this is my thread and as such I will probably be around here a lot. I'm not going to re-quote an old post of yours because I want to pick on you or something. As soon as you stop replying, I have nothing further to say either. Which isn't to say if you keep replying to me that I will continuing replying forever, either.

 

Onto the CPU performance stuff:
A clock for clock comparison is useful to some extent, but useless without the context. If Sandys OC higher on average and Haswell lower on average, then nobody can automatically tell which CPU is faster by how much if we're just given clock per clock performance. In the end, we're assuming people OC in this thread (This is an OC thread after all), and what clock per clock is isn't the full picture.


Edited by Darkwizzie - 11/30/13 at 10:08pm
Undelwalt (2017)
(29 items)
 
 
Celapaleis (2013)
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7600k @ 5.197/1.392 1.392v z170 Asus Hero EVGA 1080ti SC Black (2100/6250) x2 8gb GSkill Trident Z 3600 @ 3804 15-15-15-32-2T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512gb (Undelwalt) WD Red 2tb (Pack Yak II) Seagate Expansion Drive 5tb (Phoenix Down II) 3x560mm HardwareLabs Nemesis GTX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XPSC Raystorm Pro Watercool Heatkiller 1080ti Full Cover Waterblock EK XTOP Revo Dual D5 (Serial, PWM, v4) EK ZMT (1/2 - 3/4 ID OD) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
14xEK ACF (Compression Fittings) EK x4 250 (v2) Distilled Water + PT Nuke (Copper Sulphate) 24x140mm Silent Wings 3 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Catleap 27 Inch 2560x1440 IPS 60hz Display Coolermaster Storm Trigger (Brown Switches) EVGA P2 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Air 540 Logitech G Pro Tek Syndicate "Raze the World" Desk Mat O2 + Odac by Mayflower Electronics (Rev A) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 800 2xKrk Rokit 6 G2 Blue Yeti (Grey) Rode PSA-1 Arm 
Other
Aquaero 6 LT + Aluminum Heatsink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k Delid @ 4.848/4.848 Asus z170 Hero MSI GTX 980ti @ 1499/4082 1.25v/134% Power 2 x 8gb Gskills Ripjaws V 3131 16-16-16-32 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Pro Series 840 256gb (Celapaleis) 1 TB Samsung Drive (Pack Yak) Samsung Pro Series 850 256gb (Celapaleis Reprise) Phoenix Down (External Backup) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua D14 Kraken x61 Push-Pull for GPU Windows 10 Pro Catleap 2560x1440 @ 60hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Trigger Brown Switches EVGA Supernova 1000w P2 Corsair 540 Air Razer Abyssus 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries QcK Mini Blue Yeti Microphone Objective Dac + Amp Sescom AB Switch 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Krk Rokit 6 G2 x2 Radioshack Ground Loop Isolator (For Rokits) Wooaudio Aluminum Headphone Stand Sennheiser HD 800 
AudioOther
Logitech c920 Webcam NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Undelwalt (2017)
(29 items)
 
 
Celapaleis (2013)
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7600k @ 5.197/1.392 1.392v z170 Asus Hero EVGA 1080ti SC Black (2100/6250) x2 8gb GSkill Trident Z 3600 @ 3804 15-15-15-32-2T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512gb (Undelwalt) WD Red 2tb (Pack Yak II) Seagate Expansion Drive 5tb (Phoenix Down II) 3x560mm HardwareLabs Nemesis GTX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XPSC Raystorm Pro Watercool Heatkiller 1080ti Full Cover Waterblock EK XTOP Revo Dual D5 (Serial, PWM, v4) EK ZMT (1/2 - 3/4 ID OD) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
14xEK ACF (Compression Fittings) EK x4 250 (v2) Distilled Water + PT Nuke (Copper Sulphate) 24x140mm Silent Wings 3 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Catleap 27 Inch 2560x1440 IPS 60hz Display Coolermaster Storm Trigger (Brown Switches) EVGA P2 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Air 540 Logitech G Pro Tek Syndicate "Raze the World" Desk Mat O2 + Odac by Mayflower Electronics (Rev A) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 800 2xKrk Rokit 6 G2 Blue Yeti (Grey) Rode PSA-1 Arm 
Other
Aquaero 6 LT + Aluminum Heatsink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k Delid @ 4.848/4.848 Asus z170 Hero MSI GTX 980ti @ 1499/4082 1.25v/134% Power 2 x 8gb Gskills Ripjaws V 3131 16-16-16-32 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Pro Series 840 256gb (Celapaleis) 1 TB Samsung Drive (Pack Yak) Samsung Pro Series 850 256gb (Celapaleis Reprise) Phoenix Down (External Backup) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua D14 Kraken x61 Push-Pull for GPU Windows 10 Pro Catleap 2560x1440 @ 60hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Trigger Brown Switches EVGA Supernova 1000w P2 Corsair 540 Air Razer Abyssus 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries QcK Mini Blue Yeti Microphone Objective Dac + Amp Sescom AB Switch 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Krk Rokit 6 G2 x2 Radioshack Ground Loop Isolator (For Rokits) Wooaudio Aluminum Headphone Stand Sennheiser HD 800 
AudioOther
Logitech c920 Webcam NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6267 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze2210 View Post

I upgraded from an E8500 to this 4670k (now running at 4.6ghz w/ 2400mhz RAM).... sonic.gif

Nice!
post #6268 of 19539
Thread Starter 

There was some Conroe CPU E8xxx back when Q6600 was same price as it. I took the Q6600 figuring chess would help boost up its use, and then I can OC it. OC didn't turn out too well due to crappy mobo/acts of god/luck/my conservative voltages/bad heatsink, but it was a good run. DDR2 800, lol.

Undelwalt (2017)
(29 items)
 
 
Celapaleis (2013)
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7600k @ 5.197/1.392 1.392v z170 Asus Hero EVGA 1080ti SC Black (2100/6250) x2 8gb GSkill Trident Z 3600 @ 3804 15-15-15-32-2T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512gb (Undelwalt) WD Red 2tb (Pack Yak II) Seagate Expansion Drive 5tb (Phoenix Down II) 3x560mm HardwareLabs Nemesis GTX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XPSC Raystorm Pro Watercool Heatkiller 1080ti Full Cover Waterblock EK XTOP Revo Dual D5 (Serial, PWM, v4) EK ZMT (1/2 - 3/4 ID OD) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
14xEK ACF (Compression Fittings) EK x4 250 (v2) Distilled Water + PT Nuke (Copper Sulphate) 24x140mm Silent Wings 3 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Catleap 27 Inch 2560x1440 IPS 60hz Display Coolermaster Storm Trigger (Brown Switches) EVGA P2 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Air 540 Logitech G Pro Tek Syndicate "Raze the World" Desk Mat O2 + Odac by Mayflower Electronics (Rev A) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 800 2xKrk Rokit 6 G2 Blue Yeti (Grey) Rode PSA-1 Arm 
Other
Aquaero 6 LT + Aluminum Heatsink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k Delid @ 4.848/4.848 Asus z170 Hero MSI GTX 980ti @ 1499/4082 1.25v/134% Power 2 x 8gb Gskills Ripjaws V 3131 16-16-16-32 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Pro Series 840 256gb (Celapaleis) 1 TB Samsung Drive (Pack Yak) Samsung Pro Series 850 256gb (Celapaleis Reprise) Phoenix Down (External Backup) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua D14 Kraken x61 Push-Pull for GPU Windows 10 Pro Catleap 2560x1440 @ 60hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Trigger Brown Switches EVGA Supernova 1000w P2 Corsair 540 Air Razer Abyssus 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries QcK Mini Blue Yeti Microphone Objective Dac + Amp Sescom AB Switch 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Krk Rokit 6 G2 x2 Radioshack Ground Loop Isolator (For Rokits) Wooaudio Aluminum Headphone Stand Sennheiser HD 800 
AudioOther
Logitech c920 Webcam NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Undelwalt (2017)
(29 items)
 
 
Celapaleis (2013)
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7600k @ 5.197/1.392 1.392v z170 Asus Hero EVGA 1080ti SC Black (2100/6250) x2 8gb GSkill Trident Z 3600 @ 3804 15-15-15-32-2T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512gb (Undelwalt) WD Red 2tb (Pack Yak II) Seagate Expansion Drive 5tb (Phoenix Down II) 3x560mm HardwareLabs Nemesis GTX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XPSC Raystorm Pro Watercool Heatkiller 1080ti Full Cover Waterblock EK XTOP Revo Dual D5 (Serial, PWM, v4) EK ZMT (1/2 - 3/4 ID OD) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
14xEK ACF (Compression Fittings) EK x4 250 (v2) Distilled Water + PT Nuke (Copper Sulphate) 24x140mm Silent Wings 3 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Catleap 27 Inch 2560x1440 IPS 60hz Display Coolermaster Storm Trigger (Brown Switches) EVGA P2 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Air 540 Logitech G Pro Tek Syndicate "Raze the World" Desk Mat O2 + Odac by Mayflower Electronics (Rev A) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 800 2xKrk Rokit 6 G2 Blue Yeti (Grey) Rode PSA-1 Arm 
Other
Aquaero 6 LT + Aluminum Heatsink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k Delid @ 4.848/4.848 Asus z170 Hero MSI GTX 980ti @ 1499/4082 1.25v/134% Power 2 x 8gb Gskills Ripjaws V 3131 16-16-16-32 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Pro Series 840 256gb (Celapaleis) 1 TB Samsung Drive (Pack Yak) Samsung Pro Series 850 256gb (Celapaleis Reprise) Phoenix Down (External Backup) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua D14 Kraken x61 Push-Pull for GPU Windows 10 Pro Catleap 2560x1440 @ 60hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Trigger Brown Switches EVGA Supernova 1000w P2 Corsair 540 Air Razer Abyssus 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries QcK Mini Blue Yeti Microphone Objective Dac + Amp Sescom AB Switch 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Krk Rokit 6 G2 x2 Radioshack Ground Loop Isolator (For Rokits) Wooaudio Aluminum Headphone Stand Sennheiser HD 800 
AudioOther
Logitech c920 Webcam NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6269 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwizzie View Post
 

 

What parts are you talking about when you mentioned other parts of the machine? Like, GPU, or other parts of the CPU, like uncore vs core?

I read your tl;dr. I agree with your tl;dr.

I am not challenging your intelligence because I don't care about your intelligence. I think other members of this thread don't care either. Likewise, I think you don't care if I'm stupid or smart... and if you do, I doubt you'd be thinking about it 5 minutes after you left the thread. This is perfectly normal and is how many social situations are run. This is why I am not implying you are dumb in any way. Your intelligence didn't even pass through my mind because it's totally irrelevent. I thought I was giving the full picture by typing out more info. Often times this leads to a person reading part of it and not agreeing or knowing part of what I said. This is how you weed out misconceptions. I do this not to assert superiority, but rather to fix any possible issues one may encounter down the road. Half of the people that come here didn't read the original thread when posting their first question. Now, if you're going to assume that anybody that answers with something you already know that they are talking down upon you, you will have a hard time enjoying conversations in general, but especially in every single help thread. My guide and all guides assume you don't know something, so they flat out tell you anyways. The assumption is, if you already know it, good, you wasted 30 seconds of your life. If you don't know what's on it, then you learn something. If a guide displaying all the data and assuming you don't know how to overclock at all is insulting, and you also find people who respond with more info than you ask for which you know already... as also offensive, then I'm afraid you just get offended too easily. Nobody here cares if you're a newbie or a seasoned pro, just like how you might not care if *insert random username* is a seasoned pro. I think you care too much about your own status, that is why you're offended. I do this thread the way I do to try to find and misconceptions for the sake of helping people to make sure all the info is there. Semantics are important, otherwise I can randomly substitute which words I use with a random word. The issue would be semantics.

 

Being dumb =/= being a newbie 

Being dumb (lacking intelligence) =/= Have not read up on OC info

 

If me leaving you alone is your top priority then you obviously could've ignored me completely. Or leave this thread, if you're really that annoyed by me, as this is my thread and as such I will probably be around here a lot. I'm not going to re-quote an old post of yours because I want to pick on you or something. As soon as you stop replying, I have nothing further to say either. Which isn't to say if you keep replying to me that I will continuing replying forever, either.

 

Onto the CPU performance stuff:
A clock for clock comparison is useful to some extent, but useless without the context. If Sandys OC higher on average and Haswell lower on average, then nobody can automatically tell which CPU is faster by how much if we're just given clock per clock performance. In the end, we're assuming people OC in this thread (This is an OC thread after all), and what clock per clock is isn't the full picture.

 

 I didn't say that I thought you cared about my intelligence, nor did I say that dumb = noob. People often treat those who are new to something and those who are unintelligent the same way, hence my phrasing. Feeling as though someone is talking down to you is not due to a conscious assumption, it varies form situation to situation and person to person. I'm not offended by your guides, otherwise I never would have posted in this thread. Furthermore, whilst I spent my tl;dr post using past tense, you are now using present tense, assuming at the time of the tl;dr post that I was actively annoyed. I was describing how I felt over 12 hours prior, explicitly using past tense to ensure that was clear. 

 

 However, while I have stepped back and addressed the flaws on my side, you choose not to take responsibility and move on, but rather to make it known that you feel I "offend too easily" and have problems with any conversation in general. It might surprise you to find out that I rarely have unpleasant conversations. You also feel the need to take several sentences to spell out whether or not people care about my intellect, latching onto it as though it is the most important part of anything I said prior. In reality, this is a derailed argument of semantics. 

 

 This had nothing to do with your guide and everything to do with your reactions to a situation. This was not a personal attack on your guide. This was about a discourse between the two of us that was caused by repeated misunderstanding. Let's be clear, an otherwise pleasant discussion was derailed not because I am "too easily offended," but because of a misunderstanding. I went through all that time attempting to give you the benefit of the doubt and this is the conclusion you come to? Wow, man.


Edited by whiteironknuckle - 11/30/13 at 10:34pm
Current Set-Up
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-4770k  ASUS Sabertooth z87 GTX 780 12GB DDR3 1833 G.SKill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Seagate External (put inside machine) Crucial SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black ASUS DRW-2014L1T SCSI Noctua NC-14 Windows 8 Pro  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
CentOS Dell U2412 Dell U2412 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate / CM Cherry Browns 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
AX850 Silverstone TJ-07 Steelseries Sensei Audio Technica W1000x 
Audio
WA6 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Set-Up
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-4770k  ASUS Sabertooth z87 GTX 780 12GB DDR3 1833 G.SKill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black Seagate External (put inside machine) Crucial SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black ASUS DRW-2014L1T SCSI Noctua NC-14 Windows 8 Pro  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
CentOS Dell U2412 Dell U2412 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate / CM Cherry Browns 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
AX850 Silverstone TJ-07 Steelseries Sensei Audio Technica W1000x 
Audio
WA6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6270 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwizzie View Post

What parts are you talking about when you mentioned other parts of the machine? Like, GPU, or other parts of the CPU, like uncore vs core?

We are talking about overclocking via the BIOS....so anything not controlled by the BIOS would be immaterial. That's why I keep trying looking for an answer to that same question with regard to what % of CPUs are able to hit their OC w/o making any changes which compromise overall system performance.... no reductions in cache ratio / ring bus (uncore last gen term), no reductions in mem speed, no reductions in RAM timings, no reductions in anything.......allowing everything else to go full tilt.

Example here at 16:45....I especially took note of the comments on what happens to performance when the cache ratio is more than 100 - 300 (19:00 mark) below the core ratio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub6WnHmiIOs
Edited by JackNaylorPE - 11/30/13 at 10:50pm
911 Carrera
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel w/ EK Supremacy Cooling Block - Clean P... Asus Maximus VI Formula 2 x Asus GTX 780 DCII w/ EK Full Cover Blocks a... Mushkin Red Line Ridgeback 2 x 8GB DDR302400 10... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB (2 x Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cach... Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blue Ray Writer 1 x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45-420 + 1 x Alphacool ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
1 x Swiftech 35x2 w/ Heatsink and NB Fan EK -MultiOption RES X3 250 White Acetal Reservoir 5 x PH-F140SP_BK_BLED + 5 x PH-F140SP_BK E22 Rigid 10/12 Acrylic Tubing and Bitspower Ma... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x Reeven Six Eyes Fan Controller Windows 7 64 Bit Professional OEM ASUS VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz Monitor Logitech G19s 920-004985 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-1250 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis Asus RoG GX950 Laser Mouse  Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
911 Carrera
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel w/ EK Supremacy Cooling Block - Clean P... Asus Maximus VI Formula 2 x Asus GTX 780 DCII w/ EK Full Cover Blocks a... Mushkin Red Line Ridgeback 2 x 8GB DDR302400 10... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2 x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB (2 x Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cach... Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blue Ray Writer 1 x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45-420 + 1 x Alphacool ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
1 x Swiftech 35x2 w/ Heatsink and NB Fan EK -MultiOption RES X3 250 White Acetal Reservoir 5 x PH-F140SP_BK_BLED + 5 x PH-F140SP_BK E22 Rigid 10/12 Acrylic Tubing and Bitspower Ma... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
2 x Reeven Six Eyes Fan Controller Windows 7 64 Bit Professional OEM ASUS VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz Monitor Logitech G19s 920-004985 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X-1250 Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis Asus RoG GX950 Laser Mouse  Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]