Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] - Page 678

post #6771 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk06Β View Post

alright man so Today I had enough time to overclock everything and I'm at 4.8ghz cpu ratio and NB Freq is 4.4ghz... I been testing for bout 3hrs almost 4hrs here at 1136pm
how is Results? I have voltage at 1.430v for 4.8ghz idk if that to high but seems stable and temps aint gone past 84c


with 4.8ghz @ 1.43v you might start to see degradation of your chip over time due to the vcore voltage being quite high. It's obviously not a concern for you temperature-wise, so it's really just something you need to ask yourself "am I going to be annoyed if my chip degrades?".

44x cache @ 1.27v is not too bad at all. nice!

max temp is good too.

i find it interesting that your total power draw is so low. It should be higher than 94W, but that might just be due to a different sensor implementation on MSI motherboards.

You can increase VCCIN in your bios a bit higher. It's at 1.85v atm but you can raise that to 1.90v if you want (obviously it's not necessary since you say you might be stable with 1.85v)

(@Darkwizzie This is a very interesting screenshot. 1.43Vcore and only 1.85v VRIN??)

edit: I read your PM. Sorry, I don't know where the LLC settings are on your MSI mobo frown.gif
post #6772 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk06Β View Post

alright man so Today I had enough time to overclock everything and I'm at 4.8ghz cpu ratio and NB Freq is 4.4ghz... I been testing for bout 3hrs almost 4hrs here at 1136pm
how is Results? I have voltage at 1.430v for 4.8ghz idk if that to high but seems stable and temps aint gone past 84c


Whoa, 1.48v. Crazy man. I wonder if that's bad for degradation.
post #6773 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfeatherΒ View Post

with 4.8ghz @ 1.43v you might start to see degradation of your chip over time due to the vcore voltage being quite high. It's obviously not a concern for you temperature-wise, so it's really just something you need to ask yourself "am I going to be annoyed if my chip degrades?".

44x cache @ 1.27v is not too bad at all. nice!

max temp is good too.

i find it interesting that your total power draw is so low. It should be higher than 94W, but that might just be due to a different sensor implementation on MSI motherboards.

You can increase VCCIN in your bios a bit higher. It's at 1.85v atm but you can raise that to 1.90v if you want (obviously it's not necessary since you say you might be stable with 1.85v)

(@Darkwizzie This is a very interesting screenshot. 1.43Vcore and only 1.85v VRIN??)

edit: I read your PM. Sorry, I don't know where the LLC settings are on your MSI mobo frown.gif


Ya alright I just lowered it back down to 4.7ghz cpu ratio and still same NB freq 4.4ghz ... I didnt know if 1.42v+ was safe or not so just went down 1ghz happy wit 4.7ghz complete stable highest temps was only 74c at 4.7ghz 1.34v

I would like to go higher on the NB Freq would I need to raise VCCIN or CPU RING VOTAGE?? How high can I go wit those settings 1.90v for vccin? what bout cpu ring voltage?

here whats I change vccin 1.85v
post #6774 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanenanigansΒ View Post

Whoa, 1.48v. Crazy man. I wonder if that's bad for degradation.

Ya I have no idea why it does that I have it set at 1.43v in bios and it reads 1.47v+ on HwMonitor
cant seem to find LLC in bios set turbo or extreme for overclocking cpu.. but I went back down to 4.7ghz stable 1.34v
post #6775 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk06Β View Post

Ya alright I just lowered it back down to 4.7ghz cpu ratio and still same NB freq 4.4ghz ... I didnt know if 1.42v+ was safe or not so just went down 1ghz happy wit 4.7ghz complete stable highest temps was only 74c at 4.7ghz 1.34v

I would like to go higher on the NB Freq would I need to raise VCCIN or CPU RING VOTAGE?? How high can I go wit those settings 1.90v for vccin? what bout cpu ring voltage?

here whats I change vccin 1.85v

cool cool. 1.34v is certainly fine for everyday use.

NB Freq is dependent on Ring Voltage. You're approaching the top end of ring voltage already; 1.30v as reported by HWMonitor is the point which most people don't go past. I personally don't go past 1.25v for ring voltage, but I'm a lot more cautious than most tongue.gif

Most people don't go higher than 1.90v VCCIN (it's really on necessary to go higher than 1.90v if you weren't stable with less than 1.90v).
post #6776 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfeatherΒ View Post

cool cool. 1.34v is certainly fine for everyday use.

NB Freq is dependent on Ring Voltage. You're approaching the top end of ring voltage already; 1.30v as reported by HWMonitor is the point which most people don't go past. I personally don't go past 1.25v for ring voltage, but I'm a lot more cautious than most tongue.gif

Most people don't go higher than 1.90v VCCIN (it's really on necessary to go higher than 1.90v if you weren't stable with less than 1.90v).

so ring voltage is llc/ring? if so it shows 1.269v what do i need to look at where it shows 1.30v?? I have it set at like 1.24v in bios
post #6777 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk06Β View Post

so ring voltage is llc/ring? if so it shows 1.269v what do i need to look at where it shows 1.30v?? I have it set at like 1.24v in bios

correct. if you set 1.24v in the bios and HWMonitor shows 1.269v, then you would probably want to set 1.26v or 1.27v in the bios and see if HWMonitor reports it as 1.30v
post #6778 of 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfeatherΒ View Post

correct. if you set 1.24v in the bios and HWMonitor shows 1.269v, then you would probably want to set 1.26v or 1.27v in the bios and see if HWMonitor reports it as 1.30v

okay so I can go up to 1.3v and keep it under that? I really would like to hit 4.5ghz NB Freq if possible thumb.gif right now it reads 1.259 at 1.23v
post #6779 of 19539
yeah i think so. there's a few people in the table at the start of this thread who have ring voltage at 1.3v reported in HWM. Only one person has gone higher than 1.3v, so i wouldn't be too keen to go past 1.3

good luck in reaching 4.5 smile.gif
post #6780 of 19539
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboner1Β View Post

Well i just got my i7 4770k and have it overclocked to 4.5ghz @ 1.32v stable... well except i run aida64 and with the fpu test my temps jump to 95+ instantly. I can run any other stress test and not go over 70 , is that a indication of something bad going on or is it just a really powerful stress test? Obviously it's not good but all other tests are fine. If i set everything back to stock i don't go over 75 with the fpu test and with all other tests don't go over 50. Any ideas??

Don't use FPU, use normal full sweep testing. Specialized testing stresses one part way more. So it's probably not the CPU at fault, it's just the problem occuring from your stress test settings. Kudos to you for monitoring temps the first minute of starting a stress test. That's what smart people do.

Β 

Quote:
Originally Posted by creos7Β View Post


I agree that normally I wouldn't do that -- what prompted me to be more aggressive is that that's exactly what i thought a few weeks ago. And then stuff degraded. I did read that it's normal and it takes some burn-in time for your CPU to settle on stable settings. I'm just not sure if those are it. I'm not planning to stress test constantly but I'll run another 8-hour test in a week. If it passes then, I'll call it stable. Hope this makes sense.

There might be a break in, it's often obscured by people who do insufficient stability tests. So what happens is, they pass stress test, use the computer for a while, no Bsod due to luck. Then their luck runs out and they see a Bsod and yell about degradation and their chip dying and the apocalypse, etc etc. Not saying you're saying that, just want to clarify that sometimes degradation isn't degradation but rather poor stability in the first place. But yes, that doesn't disprove that such a break in doesn't exist.

Β 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk06Β View Post


so ring voltage is llc/ring? if so it shows 1.269v what do i need to look at where it shows 1.30v?? I have it set at like 1.24v in bios

It's listed on the first page, yo.Β 

Ring bus = Cache ratio = uncore

Ring voltage = cache voltage = uncore voltage

Β 

LLC is load line calibration, for the input voltage IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted byΒ fleetfeatherΒ View Post


with 4.8ghz @ 1.43v you might start to see degradation of your chip over time due to the vcore voltage being quite high. It's obviously not a concern for you temperature-wise, so it's really just something you need to ask yourself "am I going to be annoyed if my chip degrades?".

44x cache @ 1.27v is not too bad at all. nice!

max temp is good too.

i find it interesting that your total power draw is so low. It should be higher than 94W, but that might just be due to a different sensor implementation on MSI motherboards.

You can increase VCCIN in your bios a bit higher. It's at 1.85v atm but you can raise that to 1.90v if you want (obviously it's not necessary since you say you might be stable with 1.85v)

(@DarkwizzieΒ This is a very interesting screenshot. 1.43Vcore and only 1.85v VRIN??)

edit: I read your PM. Sorry, I don't know where the LLC settings are on your MSI moboΒ frown.gif
If I were rich, I'd get multiple Haswell configs and test them to obtain a larger sample size. But I'm not, so I can only tell you the behavior of my CPU for sure. And for sure, I need more Vrin when Vcore goes past a certain point. As you probably already know, I didn't just put two settings and once it worked, declare Vrin to be the savior of high vcore OCing, I did test after test to demonstrate an increase in stability. BUT, I can only do such detailed tests with CPUs I actually own. And that's one. So there's a proven sample size of one. Having said that, I think one detailed test is enough to consider Vrin a factor.
Β 
I'm not even 100% whats going on with 1.42 vcore and 1.85 Vrin. Perhaps it is true that he is stable, and his cpu is just flat out different.

Edited by Darkwizzie - 12/11/13 at 11:01pm
Undelwalt (2017)
(29 items)
 
 
Celapaleis (2013)
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7600k @ 5.197/1.392 1.392v z170 Asus Hero EVGA 1080ti SC Black (2100/6250) x2 8gb GSkill Trident Z 3600 @ 3804 15-15-15-32-2T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512gb (Undelwalt) WD Red 2tb (Pack Yak II) Seagate Expansion Drive 5tb (Phoenix Down II) 3x560mm HardwareLabs Nemesis GTX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XPSC Raystorm Pro Watercool Heatkiller 1080ti Full Cover Waterblock EK XTOP Revo Dual D5 (Serial, PWM, v4) EK ZMT (1/2 - 3/4 ID OD) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
14xEK ACF (Compression Fittings) EK x4 250 (v2) Distilled Water + PT Nuke (Copper Sulphate) 24x140mm Silent Wings 3 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Catleap 27 Inch 2560x1440 IPS 60hz Display Coolermaster Storm Trigger (Brown Switches) EVGA P2 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Air 540 Logitech G Pro Tek Syndicate "Raze the World" Desk Mat O2 + Odac by Mayflower Electronics (Rev A) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 800 2xKrk Rokit 6 G2 Blue Yeti (Grey) Rode PSA-1 Arm 
Other
Aquaero 6 LT + Aluminum Heatsink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k Delid @ 4.848/4.848 Asus z170 Hero MSI GTX 980ti @ 1499/4082 1.25v/134% Power 2 x 8gb Gskills Ripjaws V 3131 16-16-16-32 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Pro Series 840 256gb (Celapaleis) 1 TB Samsung Drive (Pack Yak) Samsung Pro Series 850 256gb (Celapaleis Reprise) Phoenix Down (External Backup) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua D14 Kraken x61 Push-Pull for GPU Windows 10 Pro Catleap 2560x1440 @ 60hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Trigger Brown Switches EVGA Supernova 1000w P2 Corsair 540 Air Razer Abyssus 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries QcK Mini Blue Yeti Microphone Objective Dac + Amp Sescom AB Switch 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Krk Rokit 6 G2 x2 Radioshack Ground Loop Isolator (For Rokits) Wooaudio Aluminum Headphone Stand Sennheiser HD 800 
AudioOther
Logitech c920 Webcam NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Undelwalt (2017)
(29 items)
 
 
Celapaleis (2013)
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7600k @ 5.197/1.392 1.392v z170 Asus Hero EVGA 1080ti SC Black (2100/6250) x2 8gb GSkill Trident Z 3600 @ 3804 15-15-15-32-2T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512gb (Undelwalt) WD Red 2tb (Pack Yak II) Seagate Expansion Drive 5tb (Phoenix Down II) 3x560mm HardwareLabs Nemesis GTX 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XPSC Raystorm Pro Watercool Heatkiller 1080ti Full Cover Waterblock EK XTOP Revo Dual D5 (Serial, PWM, v4) EK ZMT (1/2 - 3/4 ID OD) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
14xEK ACF (Compression Fittings) EK x4 250 (v2) Distilled Water + PT Nuke (Copper Sulphate) 24x140mm Silent Wings 3 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Catleap 27 Inch 2560x1440 IPS 60hz Display Coolermaster Storm Trigger (Brown Switches) EVGA P2 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Air 540 Logitech G Pro Tek Syndicate "Raze the World" Desk Mat O2 + Odac by Mayflower Electronics (Rev A) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 800 2xKrk Rokit 6 G2 Blue Yeti (Grey) Rode PSA-1 Arm 
Other
Aquaero 6 LT + Aluminum Heatsink 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k Delid @ 4.848/4.848 Asus z170 Hero MSI GTX 980ti @ 1499/4082 1.25v/134% Power 2 x 8gb Gskills Ripjaws V 3131 16-16-16-32 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Pro Series 840 256gb (Celapaleis) 1 TB Samsung Drive (Pack Yak) Samsung Pro Series 850 256gb (Celapaleis Reprise) Phoenix Down (External Backup) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noctua D14 Kraken x61 Push-Pull for GPU Windows 10 Pro Catleap 2560x1440 @ 60hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Trigger Brown Switches EVGA Supernova 1000w P2 Corsair 540 Air Razer Abyssus 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries QcK Mini Blue Yeti Microphone Objective Dac + Amp Sescom AB Switch 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Krk Rokit 6 G2 x2 Radioshack Ground Loop Isolator (For Rokits) Wooaudio Aluminum Headphone Stand Sennheiser HD 800 
AudioOther
Logitech c920 Webcam NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]