Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] - Page 876

post #8751 of 19652
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCREDIBLEHULK View Post

Just my opinion but, pretty unorthodox way to "stabilize" your OC. If you don't do that for memory why do it for CPU?
Blend doesn't use 90% of your systems memory. Which is why you need to run a custom test and actually manually set the min/max fft's

With memory, you can narrow down instability very quickly and effectively by using stuff like prime and memtest - there's not really many other ways to do it effectively, there is also little reason not to use them.

If i was using Prime, my OC would be 35c hotter - i'd have to drop 400mhz or so for acceptable temps - that is, even though that 400mhz can be, with ease, made 100% stable for every task that i can think to throw at it (one bsod in three months because of edgy vcore)

I don't think it's an unorthadox way of overclocking when you can narrow down VRIN you need to within ~0.05v in about 5-10 minutes, likewise vcore within ~0.02 in an hour. x264 is both the hottest load that i run ever and hardest load that i run regularly, but i've not seen an x264-tuned overclock be unstable in any program in existence short of the power whores (newer prime small fft, avx2 linx) so i see little reason not to tune that way

Ofc for blend, i just always called it custom blend (because "custom" acts like blend, not like any of the other options)
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8752 of 19652
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze2210 View Post

I agree with you completely on this....I personally ran Prime for ~8 hours and was stable, then got a BSOD after 15-20 mins of Far Cry 3. I've read posts in various forums where people ran Prime for over 12 hours, only to crash once they started their normal usage.
Pssshhh....I'm at 1.43v, Prime is definitely not an option for me....biggrin.gif Though, I am delidded, so I could probably run it with some slightly decent temps (all things considered)....devil.gif

That's because at 15minute per fft prime doesn't cycle through all the fft's for 8hours. Being stable on prime for 8hours isn't a stable OC, just 8 hours of stress smile.gif
So you basically did not complete the test.

There is also dozens of OLD OC threads where a user can pass 17hours of prime and fails on 18hours. Or someone who passes 10 hours but fails 12

This is an indication that your OC cant handle the situation it was put in, has nothing to do with the quality of the test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwizzie View Post

Yeah prime reallllllly puts cooling to the test biggrin.gif I miss seeing my 3770k top out at 62C on a full prime stress test
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #8753 of 19652
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze2210 View Post

Try running my means of stress testing then....Check out my chart entry to get an idea of what I'm referring to....thumb.gif


this part of crysis 3 is the ultimate stability test. cpu usage 90 - 99% on all cores


if you can stand there for 30 mins without the game closing out or getting a bsod id say you're pretty stable wink.gif
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
Bench
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8700k Maximus Apex X GTX 1080Ti G.skill 2x8GB 3600Mhz Cl 16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
960 EVO M.2 250GB x3 Intel 730 480GB Raid 0 2TB HDD 2x 360 rads 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Supremacy CPU Block / EK GTX 1080Ti Full Cov... EK D5 pump and Res Combo x6 Corsair SP120 x6 EK Vardar 120's 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 XB270HU Cooler Master V1000 Corsair 780T 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k x99 SOC Champion GTX 780Ti / GTX 980Ti Crucial Micron DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
180GB intel 530 SSD /  120GB intel 520 SSD 120GB intel 520 SSD 2TB HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2TBHDD EK LTX CPU block  EK Pump n res combo EK GPU mono block 
CoolingOSMonitor
x2 240 rad's Windows 7 / 8 / 10 Korean 2560x1440 100Hz 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
Bench
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8700k Maximus Apex X GTX 1080Ti G.skill 2x8GB 3600Mhz Cl 16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
960 EVO M.2 250GB x3 Intel 730 480GB Raid 0 2TB HDD 2x 360 rads 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Supremacy CPU Block / EK GTX 1080Ti Full Cov... EK D5 pump and Res Combo x6 Corsair SP120 x6 EK Vardar 120's 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 XB270HU Cooler Master V1000 Corsair 780T 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k x99 SOC Champion GTX 780Ti / GTX 980Ti Crucial Micron DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
180GB intel 530 SSD /  120GB intel 520 SSD 120GB intel 520 SSD 2TB HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2TBHDD EK LTX CPU block  EK Pump n res combo EK GPU mono block 
CoolingOSMonitor
x2 240 rad's Windows 7 / 8 / 10 Korean 2560x1440 100Hz 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8754 of 19652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro999 View Post

With memory, you can narrow down instability very quickly and effectively by using stuff like prime and memtest - there's not really many other ways to do it effectively, there is also little reason not to use them.

If i was using Prime, my OC would be 35c hotter - i'd have to drop 400mhz or so for acceptable temps - that is, even though that 400mhz can be, with ease, made 100% stable for every task that i can think to throw at it (one bsod in three months because of edgy vcore)

I don't think it's an unorthadox way of overclocking when you can narrow down VRIN you need to within ~0.05v in about 5-10 minutes, likewise vcore within ~0.02 in an hour. x264 is both the hottest load that i run ever and hardest load that i run regularly, but i've not seen an x264-tuned overclock be unstable in any program in existence short of the power whores (newer prime small fft, avx2 linx) so i see little reason not to tune that way

Ofc for blend, i just always called it custom blend (because "custom" acts like blend, not like any of the other options)

Yeah, I understand, the point I was trying to bring up is that people test the memory off the bat to ensure no errors to avoid things like file corruption.

I am just used to seeing people stress the OC for maximum stability, I believe in stable means 100% stable not stable for notepad or stable for word.

I guess to each is own right? I get why people don't want to do prime, added vcore and added heat, and they don't really stress their cpu's to the point where they will bsod. I guess I treat it too much like memory and think of it as people OC'ing their ram to 2800mhz with bad timings but because it works and doesn't crash always they find it acceptable
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #8755 of 19652
Quote:
I am just used to seeing people stress the OC for maximum stability, I believe in stable means 100% stable not stable for notepad or stable for word.

It's not that, it's just that heat and stability don't really correlate, and with Haswell being so hot under "ideal" conditions, it became largely impractical to max it out in those ways. On the same workload which averages 48c on x264, you can average 95 on linpack - you just couldn't do that before avx2 came along and massively increased performance per clock there (at the cost of proportionally higher power draw and heat)

I was originally drawn to x264, because i tried lots of stuff like adia, linpack without avx etc - but my own work was crashing all of the time. I wouldn't call my OC stable if there was anything aside from prime small fft or linx - that was actually somewhat useful, that could crash the CPU. I don't know of any such thing atm, so i'm fine calling it stable if there's no bluescreens, no wheas for 3+ months and i know of nothing that can cause such issues - and if i found something, i'm pretty sure it could be tweaked through? What do you think
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8756 of 19652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro999 View Post

It's not that, it's just that heat and stability don't really correlate, and with Haswell being so hot under "ideal" conditions, it became largely impractical to max it out in those ways. On the same workload which averages 48c on x264, you can average 95 on linpack - you just couldn't do that before avx2 came along and massively increased performance per clock there (at the cost of proportionally higher power draw and heat)

I was originally drawn to x264, because i tried lots of stuff like adia, linpack without avx etc - but my own work was crashing all of the time. I wouldn't call my OC stable if there was anything aside from prime small fft or linx - that was actually somewhat useful, that could crash the CPU. I don't know of any such thing atm, so i'm fine calling it stable if there's no bluescreens, no wheas for 3+ months and i know of nothing that can cause such issues - and if i found something, i'm pretty sure it could be tweaked through? What do you think

I can accept someone saying their OC handles what they do with real world applications

I can't accept this
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawII View Post

Ok been stable at 1.36 volts and 4.5 for a month now get 124 bsod in BF4 ? I hate BF4 ran aram 3 all day and night no bsod go figure:o

If you post you have a 4.8GHz stable overclock and I ask you to run a game or program and you BSOD, you do not have a stable overclock biggrin.gif
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #8757 of 19652
I agree tongue.gif
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8758 of 19652
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCREDIBLEHULK View Post

I guess to each is own right? I get why people don't want to do prime, added vcore and added heat, and they don't really stress their cpu's to the point where they will bsod. I guess I treat it too much like memory and think of it as people OC'ing their ram to 2800mhz with bad timings but because it works and doesn't crash always they find it acceptable

How is running an outdated program like Prime related to people who run their RAM with weird timings..? People use to swear by IBT or OCCT, Prime has gone the same way, it's a useless program today and doesn't prove anything. You said it yourself, run it for 16 hours, BSOD at 18 hours. Run it for 24 hours, BSOD in 36 hours. How long are you going to run it?

I don't believe x264 is THE one, BF4 needs 0.02v more compared to that. Once you're stable there you're stable with most others (excluding these outdated programs such as Prime, IBT, OCCT etc).
Just a 'puter
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Hero iGPU thanks to Nvidia 970 3.5GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2B3200C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB Crucial M4 256GB RX360 V3 Koolance CPU-380I 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Koolance RP-452X2 Reservoir Koolance PMP-450 12V Variable Speed Pump Windows 10 Pro x64 benq XL2411Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G510 Seasonic X-760 Corsair 800D Mionix Castor 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD DT 990 Premium 250Ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
Just a 'puter
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Hero iGPU thanks to Nvidia 970 3.5GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2B3200C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB Crucial M4 256GB RX360 V3 Koolance CPU-380I 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Koolance RP-452X2 Reservoir Koolance PMP-450 12V Variable Speed Pump Windows 10 Pro x64 benq XL2411Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G510 Seasonic X-760 Corsair 800D Mionix Castor 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD DT 990 Premium 250Ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8759 of 19652
i ran prime95 24 hours on a 3570k @ 5ghz with 1.368v tried playing crysis 3 .... closed programe and whea errors upped voltage to 1.385 stable in all games no whea errors

http://www.overclock.net/t/1247869/official-the-ivy-bridge-stable-suicide-club-guides-voltages-temps-bios-templates-inc-spreadsheet/2950_50#post_19106081


just prime95 stable tongue.gif
Edited by lilchronic - 1/19/14 at 11:49pm
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
Bench
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8700k Maximus Apex X GTX 1080Ti G.skill 2x8GB 3600Mhz Cl 16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
960 EVO M.2 250GB x3 Intel 730 480GB Raid 0 2TB HDD 2x 360 rads 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Supremacy CPU Block / EK GTX 1080Ti Full Cov... EK D5 pump and Res Combo x6 Corsair SP120 x6 EK Vardar 120's 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 XB270HU Cooler Master V1000 Corsair 780T 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k x99 SOC Champion GTX 780Ti / GTX 980Ti Crucial Micron DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
180GB intel 530 SSD /  120GB intel 520 SSD 120GB intel 520 SSD 2TB HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2TBHDD EK LTX CPU block  EK Pump n res combo EK GPU mono block 
CoolingOSMonitor
x2 240 rad's Windows 7 / 8 / 10 Korean 2560x1440 100Hz 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
Bench
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8700k Maximus Apex X GTX 1080Ti G.skill 2x8GB 3600Mhz Cl 16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
960 EVO M.2 250GB x3 Intel 730 480GB Raid 0 2TB HDD 2x 360 rads 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Supremacy CPU Block / EK GTX 1080Ti Full Cov... EK D5 pump and Res Combo x6 Corsair SP120 x6 EK Vardar 120's 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 XB270HU Cooler Master V1000 Corsair 780T 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k x99 SOC Champion GTX 780Ti / GTX 980Ti Crucial Micron DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
180GB intel 530 SSD /  120GB intel 520 SSD 120GB intel 520 SSD 2TB HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2TBHDD EK LTX CPU block  EK Pump n res combo EK GPU mono block 
CoolingOSMonitor
x2 240 rad's Windows 7 / 8 / 10 Korean 2560x1440 100Hz 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8760 of 19652
Quote:
Originally Posted by error-id10t View Post

How is running an outdated program like Prime related to people who run their RAM with weird timings..? People use to swear by IBT or OCCT, Prime has gone the same way, it's a useless program today and doesn't prove anything. You said it yourself, run it for 16 hours, BSOD at 18 hours. Run it for 24 hours, BSOD in 36 hours. How long are you going to run it?

I don't believe x264 is THE one, BF4 needs 0.02v more compared to that. Once you're stable there you're stable with most others (excluding these outdated programs such as Prime, IBT, OCCT etc).

The relation was people test their memory tests instantly to check for memory errors. Yet with their CPU they accept less than full stability and just deem it "stable"

Prime isn't outdated and you did not grasp the concept.

If you bsod at 18 hours but not 16hours obviously your overclock isn't stable. Pretty simple concept.

It's not that prime isn't reliable it's that at a certain FFT when your computer is stressed it can not handle that situation. I don't see what's hard to understand? tongue.gif Is prime creating an unstable situation that youre OC which handles notepad and msword properly but primes outdated program causes you to crash? biggrin.gif
Edited by INCREDIBLEHULK - 1/19/14 at 11:47pm
  
Reply
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Haswell Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]