Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › 3960x @4.7Ghz using 1.39 vcore
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3960x @4.7Ghz using 1.39 vcore

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 
Ok guys, i finally managed to OC this 3960x chip of mine to 4.7Ghz [4.8GHz under 1.4vcore is mission impossible for my power-hungry chip] using 102.2x46.

@4.7Ghz, vcore of 1.39 is set in BIOS [BIOS: 1404] but CPU-Z shows 1.392 when idle. Under IBT high stress 10-cycle load, it stays 90% of the time at 1.392v and the remaining 10% of time it swing to and from 1.4 and 1.408 max. Highest temperature among the 6-core hits 78 degree under IBT 10-cycle of high stress test. Staying at 1.392 now as i type out this message. Feel satisfied that 4.7Ghz is finally achieved within the 'safe' vcore parameter of 1.4v.

I have posted my settings below and some pictures of my rig. I really welcome more guidance and advice from the seasoned OC-er here. I am using the corsair dominator platinum DR-2400 32GB kit which currently ran at just 681.4MHz with auto timing 9-9-9-24-174-1T. Can i squeeze any more out of this rig of mine? Temperature wise i am quite sure it have some more rooms.






















My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3960x Asus Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX Titan SC Edition EVGA GTX Titan SC Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum  Samsung SSD 840 Pro  Samsung SSD 840 Pro  Samsung SSD 840 Pro  
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG  Window 7 Ultimate 64bits Samsung s27a G15 Logitech Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Thermaltake ToughPower 1500W Silverstone TJ09 Black Razer DeathAdder Razer Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3960x Asus Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX Titan SC Edition EVGA GTX Titan SC Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum  Samsung SSD 840 Pro  Samsung SSD 840 Pro  Samsung SSD 840 Pro  
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG  Window 7 Ultimate 64bits Samsung s27a G15 Logitech Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Thermaltake ToughPower 1500W Silverstone TJ09 Black Razer DeathAdder Razer Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 3
That's not really a power hungry chip, I'd say that's a pretty average (Leaning towards good) chip, I used to have an 3930k that needede 1.42v for 4.6GHz, this one needs 1.38-1.39v for 4.7GHz which I've seen is pretty good on SB-E chips. smile.gif
post #3 of 3
Wow, that tower really dwarfs your monitor lol
OT, congrats!
Ivy-E Defined
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.5ghz w/ 1.336v RAMPAGE IV FORMULA GTX 980 Jetstream  G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
120GB Samsung 840 EVO + 6TB (Storage) Corsair H80i w/ 2 x SP120 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Asus VG278HE  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 - Brown Cherry MX Switch - Green LED Corsair AX860  Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ Window  Razer DeathAdder 2013 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Overclockers Medium Mouse Mat KRK ROKITS Fiio E10K  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy-E Defined
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.5ghz w/ 1.336v RAMPAGE IV FORMULA GTX 980 Jetstream  G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
120GB Samsung 840 EVO + 6TB (Storage) Corsair H80i w/ 2 x SP120 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Asus VG278HE  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 - Brown Cherry MX Switch - Green LED Corsair AX860  Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ Window  Razer DeathAdder 2013 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Overclockers Medium Mouse Mat KRK ROKITS Fiio E10K  Audio Technica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › 3960x @4.7Ghz using 1.39 vcore