Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Top PCEI Slot Hates Just My 6950?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Top PCEI Slot Hates Just My 6950?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
So i decided to get an upgrade to a ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard and for what ever reason when i installed my 6950 gpu in the top pcie slot it fails to post with code 66 but when i put my 6450 gpu in the same slot to test it boots up perfectly. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?
post #2 of 14
Thread Starter 
The 6950 GPU works fine i tested it in a different PC so its not the card being bad.
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentghost14 View Post

The 6950 GPU works fine i tested it in a different PC so its not the card being bad.

Try a different PCIe slot. Of course, it may be the PSU acting up, usually signalling the end of its life cycle.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpersuazn View Post

Try a different PCIe slot. Of course, it may be the PSU acting up, usually signalling the end of its life cycle.

The 6950 gpu works in all other slots but whats got me confused is why can just my 6450 Gpu work in Slot 1 but not my 6950 cant?
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentghost14 View Post

The 6950 gpu works in all other slots but whats got me confused is why can just my 6450 Gpu work in Slot 1 but not my 6950 cant?

Try stress testing yout GPU in any slots other than the first to rule out that the PSU is not giving out. Also, stress the 6450 in the first slot to rule out that the motherboard's PCIe slot is not damaged.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentghost14 View Post

The 6950 gpu works in all other slots but whats got me confused is why can just my 6450 Gpu work in Slot 1 but not my 6950 cant?
Did you do a fresh install or try to upgrade the mobo while keeping your current OS?
1.Make sure the bios is set to PCIe for graphics on boot.
2.Make sure the 6970 is seating properly in the first slot,sometimes case alignment can be an issue.
3.Try plugging a molex power to the aux. PCIe power connector.
4.Are you using the same display cable on both cards?
5.Install both cards(boot with the 6450),get into Windows and delete all drivers,re-install.
Edited by Redwoodz - 7/23/13 at 10:37am
RCPC#1
(17 items)
 
Professional
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 960T Asus M4A88T-VEVO Asus Strix R7 370 SuperTalent Perfomance 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
GSkill Snipers Monster Daytona Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache Memorex DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H60 Windows 8N IBM 9494 19" LCD IBM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair GS500 In Win H-Frame Wolfking OCZ Behemoth 
Audio
JBL Creature 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100t MSI 890FX GD65 MSI Radeon HD5670 GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 1TB SATA III Samsung BD Zalman 9900MAX Windows 7 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 22" LED Logitech Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w Fractal Design R3 
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB 
  hide details  
Reply
RCPC#1
(17 items)
 
Professional
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 960T Asus M4A88T-VEVO Asus Strix R7 370 SuperTalent Perfomance 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
GSkill Snipers Monster Daytona Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache Memorex DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H60 Windows 8N IBM 9494 19" LCD IBM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair GS500 In Win H-Frame Wolfking OCZ Behemoth 
Audio
JBL Creature 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100t MSI 890FX GD65 MSI Radeon HD5670 GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 1TB SATA III Samsung BD Zalman 9900MAX Windows 7 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 22" LED Logitech Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w Fractal Design R3 
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post

Did you do a fresh install or try to upgrade the mobo while keeping your current OS?
1.Make sure the bios is set to PCIe for graphics on boot.
2.Make sure the 6970 is seating properly in the first slot,sometimes case alignment can be an issue.
3.Try plugging a molex power to the aux. PCIe power connector.
4.Are you using the same display cable on both cards?
5.Install both cards(boot with the 6450),get into Windows and delete all drivers,re-install.

1. Tryed then failed and clean installed windows 7

2. Checked

3. Tested already nothing

4. Yes

5. Will try again
post #8 of 14
What brand is your 6950?

I ask because I have an ASUS 6950 that worked great until I flashed the bios to 6970. Ever since then it will not work in the top pcie slot on 2 different motherboards. It works great in a lower slot but not the top one.
Blackie
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
Blackie
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

What brand is your 6950?

I ask because I have an ASUS 6950 that worked great until I flashed the bios to 6970. Ever since then it will not work in the top pcie slot on 2 different motherboards. It works great in a lower slot but not the top one.
Sapphire
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

What brand is your 6950?

I ask because I have an ASUS 6950 that worked great until I flashed the bios to 6970. Ever since then it will not work in the top pcie slot on 2 different motherboards. It works great in a lower slot but not the top one.
I had tried flashing the bio as well a while ago to unlock the shaders with no luck i am going to try flashing back to stock see if it fixes it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Top PCEI Slot Hates Just My 6950?