Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › SLI 7850s with the aim to get great sc2 FPS in large team fights
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SLI 7850s with the aim to get great sc2 FPS in large team fights

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
o god edit - meant Xfire (was prev a nvidia guy lol sry) its early and im tired cut me some slack!

Im not sure why but my fps is doing very poorly in sc2 teamfights on low settings (drops to 30 or sometimes less in maxed fights) if you guys feel this is a more reasonable approach or if you feel a 7850 should be able to handle this and there is another issue here (for those who know about sc2 and teamfights and system reqs)

preciate some input
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 10
It's purely about the CPU in SC2. You need very little from the graphics card even on High graphics.

In SC2, go into the options and to the graphics settings. First set High graphics or whatever you think looks best to you, then mouse over all individual settings and read the tool tip. It will mention if it's limited by GPU or by CPU performance. Dial down the things that tax the CPU. It's effects, physics and reflections. Disabling 3D unit portraits might also be good.

Overclock your CPU as much as possible. Not a little... shoot for something approaching 5 GHz!

That's all you can do. Upgrading graphics card or going Crossfire will be 100 % wasted. This is not a joke and not an exaggeration.
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepor View Post

It's purely about the CPU in SC2. You need very little from the graphics card even on High graphics.

In SC2, go into the options and to the graphics settings. First set High graphics or whatever you think looks best to you, then mouse over all individual settings and read the tool tip. It will mention if it's limited by GPU or by CPU performance. Dial down the things that tax the CPU. It's effects, physics and reflections. Disabling 3D unit portraits might also be good.

Overclock your CPU as much as possible. Not a little... shoot for something approaching 5 GHz!

That's all you can do. Upgrading graphics card or going Crossfire will be 100 % wasted. This is not a joke and not an exaggeration.

is an i5 3570k not enough though? this just seems silly and its what they were using at MLG or maybe it was an I5 P series which is basically the same thing

my I5 was enough in wings of liberty so why isnt this working now?
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post

is an i5 3570k not enough though? this just seems silly and its what they were using at MLG or maybe it was an I5 P series which is basically the same thing
MLG's rigs aren't multi-GPU either, so by that logic why were you considering it? Obviously you can have a better computer than what they use at MLG, you only have to buy one, MLG has to get hundreds of them.

Not to mention you're talking about team games, and MLG only cares about 1v1 performance.
SG13B
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6GB G.SKILL NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB Window 10 Monoprice 144hz ??? 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone SG13B-Q Zowie FK1 http://www.slothesports.com/ Beyerdynamic DT990 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Numark NPM5 Sennheiser PC 31-II CH Products Combatstick 568 Joystick Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 
  hide details  
Reply
SG13B
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6GB G.SKILL NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB Window 10 Monoprice 144hz ??? 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone SG13B-Q Zowie FK1 http://www.slothesports.com/ Beyerdynamic DT990 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Numark NPM5 Sennheiser PC 31-II CH Products Combatstick 568 Joystick Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post

MLG's rigs aren't multi-GPU either, so by that logic why were you considering it? Obviously you can have a better computer than what they use at MLG, you only have to buy one, MLG has to get hundreds of them.

Not to mention you're talking about team games, and MLG only cares about 1v1 performance.

they did fun 8 player free for alls though and my logic is im lost lol no logic when a pc ran multiplayer crazy well and now it doesnt

i sold my WC stuff but i got a noctua still so maybe some light overclocking, 4-4.2 ghz? 4.5?
Edited by eosgreen - 7/24/13 at 5:05am
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post

they did fun 8 player free for alls though and my logic is im lost lol no logic when a pc ran multiplayer crazy well and now it doesnt

i sold my WC stuff but i got a noctua still so maybe some light overclocking, 4-4.2 ghz? 4.5?

Please update your system into RigBuilder so that we can further assist you.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post

is an i5 3570k not enough though? this just seems silly and its what they were using at MLG or maybe it was an I5 P series which is basically the same thing

my I5 was enough in wings of liberty so why isnt this working now?
There was a patch or two that had worse FPS than usual but I'm pretty sure that was fixed. I don't think it was really a lot different in WoL. You might not have cared or noticed it in the past, perhaps got better at the game and now have time to notice things like low FPS instead of feeling overwhelmed when battles start.

This is a video of the replay a German magazine used to benchmark stuff in WoL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPFnrNnCOoI

The way I remember their benchmarks, it's dropping below 10 FPS on all CPUs at stock speed. That's just how SC2 is, even on Haswell i5. You have Sandy Bridge at 4.6 GHz in your sig so that's already great. There's not really anything you can do. You could be more aggressive with your overclock if you still have room with temperature and vcore voltage. Please don't waste money on graphics card and end up disappointed.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepor View Post

There was a patch or two that had worse FPS than usual but I'm pretty sure that was fixed. I don't think it was really a lot different in WoL. You might not have cared or noticed it in the past, perhaps got better at the game and now have time to notice things like low FPS instead of feeling overwhelmed when battles start.

This is a video of the replay a German magazine used to benchmark stuff in WoL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPFnrNnCOoI

The way I remember their benchmarks, it's dropping below 10 FPS on all CPUs at stock speed. That's just how SC2 is, even on Haswell i5. You have Sandy Bridge at 4.6 GHz in your sig so that's already great. There's not really anything you can do. You could be more aggressive with your overclock if you still have room with temperature and vcore voltage. Please don't waste money on graphics card and end up disappointed.

na ive been at the top of the ladders since the start and im very sensitive to things like this. i would know if something had changed. my sig is so dated im at stock speeds atm
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 10
So what do you have at the moment? Still the i5 Sandy Bridge and some solid Noctua cooler, 120mm width at least? If it's not very hot where you are, you can still do a lot of overclocking with that. Pretty much up to dangerous voltage, just like with the WC you sold. If you hate the low fps enough, it will enable you to stomach a high CPU core temperature you don't like, so try to get back to those 4.6ghz you had. smile.gif
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
yeh ill give it a try ty for saving me moneys lol
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
Almost done...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K 4.6ghz P67 Sabertooth Asus 560 ti 4g Dominator Ram w/EKBlock 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Corsair 120g force 3 ssd - Caviar Black WD 500g Asus Windows 7 21.5 Inch 1920/1080 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850w M8 Spawn Qck 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › SLI 7850s with the aim to get great sc2 FPS in large team fights