Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › HTPC › Chromecast - Why Build a HTPC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chromecast - Why Build a HTPC? - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts4 View Post

$35....

i usually go for $45 tbh

blushsmiley.gif
post #12 of 19
You can still make a HTPC that is goign to double as a gaming rig for the couch with Steam Big Picture.

You will be able to get HD audio through a HTPC by bitstreaming it to your receiver

I wouldnt be suprised if you can get a better picture out of a HTPC

HTPC can double as a small home server until you get lots of movies on it.

HTPC gives you the abiltiy to choose which media software you want to use.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrayniak View Post

You can still make a HTPC that is goign to double as a gaming rig for the couch with Steam Big Picture.

You will be able to get HD audio through a HTPC by bitstreaming it to your receiver

I wouldnt be suprised if you can get a better picture out of a HTPC

HTPC can double as a small home server until you get lots of movies on it.

HTPC gives you the abiltiy to choose which media software you want to use.

that’s the thing, the more you buy into a corporate dongle the more you are shafted by that dongle.



you wont be able to get those remuxed files to play with top audio and picture, its one area that the PS3 and even the PS4 fall down on, im sure its the same situation on xbox. They automatically think you own a pirate copy of something even if its home / holiday video
post #14 of 19
For the price you can't beat it.. I went ahead and ordered mine through Amazon but it won't be here for another 2-3 weeks which I'm fine with..
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

that’s the thing, the more you buy into a corporate dongle the more you are shafted by that dongle.



you wont be able to get those remuxed files to play with top audio and picture, its one area that the PS3 and even the PS4 fall down on, im sure its the same situation on xbox. They automatically think you own a pirate copy of something even if its home / holiday video

Yep.

The only thing the stand alone devices have over an HTPC is the fact that they are plug-n-play. I really wonder how a HTPC really does compare though picture and sound quality wise to somethign like an Oppo though.

I am really big on audio/video stuff and would really like to see some sort of comparison there.

I may be a little bit different from many too in the aspect that I dont care too much about streaming my music on my ipod to my TV. if I want to listen to music I put on a record on my turntable or I listen to the radio/slacker/pandora.

Only time I use my ipod is when I travel....which isnt that often and I have gotten to the point where I will probably just put all of my music on a tablet and not bother with mp3 players anymore...

Sorry bit of a rant....

My point though is that you cant use any internet radio stations with standalone devices either...Oppo limits you to Pandora unless you get a roku dongle...and then you dont get too much extra...
post #16 of 19
Shame the chromecast will never come to Europe...
Midgethulks rig
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K Z77 MPower (MS-7751) Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 Asus GTX780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Samsung 840 250Gb BW Western digital black 1 TB ADATA S510 120Gb 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
H100 Windows 7 ultimate Dell U2412M Dell U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries 7g Corsair AX860 Corsair 500R Razer deathadder 
Mouse PadOther
Steelseries Qck+ NZXT Fan controller  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500 P8P67 Le GTX 560Ti Gskill 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Plextor SSD WD 2TB EARX H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Crappy 17 inch OCZ 600W CM 690M 
  hide details  
Reply
Midgethulks rig
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3770K Z77 MPower (MS-7751) Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 Asus GTX780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Samsung 840 250Gb BW Western digital black 1 TB ADATA S510 120Gb 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
H100 Windows 7 ultimate Dell U2412M Dell U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries 7g Corsair AX860 Corsair 500R Razer deathadder 
Mouse PadOther
Steelseries Qck+ NZXT Fan controller  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500 P8P67 Le GTX 560Ti Gskill 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Plextor SSD WD 2TB EARX H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Crappy 17 inch OCZ 600W CM 690M 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

that’s the thing, the more you buy into a corporate dongle the more you are shafted by that dongle.



you wont be able to get those remuxed files to play with top audio and picture, its one area that the PS3 and even the PS4 fall down on, im sure its the same situation on xbox. They automatically think you own a pirate copy of something even if its home / holidIay video
I've been thinking of getting an HTPC but I don't really need one since the Chromecast does everything I need it to do. If there's a video I need it to play, it'll play it. I don't know what the heck a remuxed file is, so there's a 99% chance I won't ever use it.

It'll work for most people. For people like you, obviously not.

And how are you shafted by it? You're not "buying into" anything. You don't need to purchase anything from the Play Store. It's not like an Apple TV where everything you buy is played on an Apple device. If you have content, it'll play it.
Retribution.
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3 2100 H61M-E33 (MS-7680) Radeon HD 5670 G.SKILL 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.SKILL Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM Western Digital 120GB DVD-RW Lightscribe 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Professional x64 Samsung SyncMaster 940MW (1440x900) AOC 18.5" (1366x768) An Old Lenovo (PS/2) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Elite 460W Thermaltake V4 Logitech G600 Custom "The Wonder Years" pad 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
In Monitor Speakers Turtle Beach Earforce X12 Tritton Trigger Stereo Headset Apple Earpods 
Audio
Cheap Skullcandy earbuds 
  hide details  
Reply
Retribution.
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3 2100 H61M-E33 (MS-7680) Radeon HD 5670 G.SKILL 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.SKILL Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM Western Digital 120GB DVD-RW Lightscribe 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Professional x64 Samsung SyncMaster 940MW (1440x900) AOC 18.5" (1366x768) An Old Lenovo (PS/2) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master Elite 460W Thermaltake V4 Logitech G600 Custom "The Wonder Years" pad 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
In Monitor Speakers Turtle Beach Earforce X12 Tritton Trigger Stereo Headset Apple Earpods 
Audio
Cheap Skullcandy earbuds 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrayniak View Post

Yep.

The only thing the stand alone devices have over an HTPC is the fact that they are plug-n-play. I really wonder how a HTPC really does compare though picture and sound quality wise to somethign like an Oppo though.

I am really big on audio/video stuff and would really like to see some sort of comparison there.

I may be a little bit different from many too in the aspect that I dont care too much about streaming my music on my ipod to my TV. if I want to listen to music I put on a record on my turntable or I listen to the radio/slacker/pandora.

Only time I use my ipod is when I travel....which isnt that often and I have gotten to the point where I will probably just put all of my music on a tablet and not bother with mp3 players anymore...

Sorry bit of a rant....

My point though is that you cant use any internet radio stations with standalone devices either...Oppo limits you to Pandora unless you get a roku dongle...and then you dont get too much extra...

The best video scaling algorithm out there is on the PC through MadVR, Jinc + Anti-Ringing. 1080p content would be generally indistinguishable between the Oppo and an HTPC. Blu-Ray would be far less frustrating on the Oppo due to lackluster PC software like PowerDVD, which I find to be terrible. Oppo upscaling is good, but not Jinc+AR3 good.

My holy grail is mkv playback through MPC-HC with LAV splitters, and MadVR renderer with Jinc+AR scaling. I use MPC-HC as an external player through Mediabrowser in WMC.

Blu Ray playback is handled by a cheap-ish Panasonic blu ray player that provides reference quality playback for about $100.



Audio is bitstreamed from the htpc to a pre-pro so audio quality same as the Oppo. Not to mention, the interface of something like Mediabrowser, xbmc, Jriver, etc. are going to blow the Oppo out of the water.
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJavontax View Post

I've been thinking of getting an HTPC but I don't really need one since the Chromecast does everything I need it to do. If there's a video I need it to play, it'll play it. I don't know what the heck a remuxed file is, so there's a 99% chance I won't ever use it.

It'll work for most people. For people like you, obviously not.

And how are you shafted by it? You're not "buying into" anything. You don't need to purchase anything from the Play Store. It's not like an Apple TV where everything you buy is played on an Apple device. If you have content, it'll play it.

remux is taking some dvd/bd video. vobs for example and putting them into one big container like an mkv. it means you can use a program to rip and convert fully lossless audio and video auto remove any warnings, trailers menu and just keep the chapters. the file size ends up being large but still smaller than the native disc you should own. this way your server / htpc can play back full quality master audio n video without needing the disc, furthermore using xbmc you can have a really nice cover flow and look boss when your mates can choose a movie via a tablet, obviously if your not into quality then a streaming service for 10$ a month is equally as good if not better.


the problem with any off the shelf box or console is that they don't allow many or any containers so your content that you paid for and own remains in disc format. furthermore the shafted bit I mention is the inevitable push to only allow subscription playback models and limited file formats (many don't allow flac, sometimes the radio stations are only the ones they offer and not the ones you want etc..) I know this dongle isn't one of them but its still a bit limited in playback options, good for a secondary system.. perhaps it can have xbmc put onto it though??

its a cheap dongle, it doesn't do all the things a full htpc can do one of which is play games, emulate games etc.. and also as a OCN member i like the idea of building my own system smile.gif


but yea its cheap and cheerful, just pointing out some pitfalls
Edited by Pip Boy - 7/31/13 at 5:31am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › HTPC › Chromecast - Why Build a HTPC?