Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › New Gaming Laptop/DTR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Gaming Laptop/DTR - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrockh View Post

You can use dual GPUs without problems in a mATX case as little as the SG10, you just gotta be careful to pick a blower fan GPU. Head over to the SG09/10 thread for proofs tongue.gif
Or you can go full watercooling in a case like the Fractal Design Arc Mini. Cool builds around the web. Sager is a good machine, but you are paying $1500 for a 1080p 60hz TFT panel.. meh.. Sure you can get the 780M, it's $350 on top of the price of the 770M (stupid, yeah). Which will bring the total cost to a lovely $1700+.

I'm going to uni as well and I have a 12'' laptop with long battery life that I bring to uni almost every day. Also I have a SFF which stays at home and does UK-Italy twice a year without too much trouble. I leave the good peripherals in the UK and use the not-so good ones at home. TBH during summer I prefer going out and enjoy the sun.
["insanely massive" was only used to describe a significant difference, maybe it was not the appropriate term.]

No matter how the technology improves, laptop will always be thermals constrained. Notebook won't give you "
slightly 
less performance". A 780M lags quite a lot behind the 780, look up GTX 670 vs GTX 780. 
Price wise, a 780M goes on ebay for £580 while a 780 can be found for £500.


It mostly boils down to personal preference, but if I were you I'd pick the SFF option. Silverstone SG05 is a cool little case (only single GPU, bit too small for GTX 780's length), SG08 is a bit bigger (single GPU, can fit a Titan easily), SG09/10 for mATX (SLI possible).

Look, if you want to get into this debate about how the GTX 780M is a lot slower than the GTX 780, then perhaps you should compare the like GPU cores first. The GTX 780 uses the GK110 layout and the GTX 780M uses a GK104 layout... so... your argument is already invalid. It's ALWAYS been this way with laptop GPUs.

The one thing that the laptop has over a SFF desktop is the size. There's nothing you can do to a SFF desktop that will ever place it in the same size category. Not to mention the power and heat footprint of the laptop lines happen to be considerably lower than any desktop out there. Most budget desktops still output more heat than most gaming laptops. So size, heat volume, and power draw... three of the most important things when regarding a SFF PC, leaving portability out of the question.

If you wanna get even more technical, the GTX 770M is a GTX 660 but clocked lower. Just sayin'. Overclocking a laptop GPU, especially one in a Sager, is NOT hard and the heat increase is negligible. It's entirely up to the OP, however I don't really think that completely debunking the laptop idea is the best option. You wouldn't go into an Nvidia thread and say the poster is stupid for trying to go for an Nvidia GPU would you? Same principle applies here.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6300HQ Dell Proprietary 4GB Nvidia GTX 960M Samsung 12GB (1x8GB 1x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB SanDisk M.2 SSD 1TB HGST 7.2k HDD Custom Cooling by Dell Solutions Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Screen Dell 130w PSU Logitech G602 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 'Ripper' Mouse Pad 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2760QM Toshiba Qosmio X775 Nvidia 1.5GB GTX 560M 8GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120GB Samsung 830 SSD + 1TB HGST 7200RPM HDD CD/DVD-RW Stock Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
17.3" - 1600x900 Standard backlit 180w Power Adapter Logitech G500s 
Audio
Harmon/Kardon Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6300HQ Dell Proprietary 4GB Nvidia GTX 960M Samsung 12GB (1x8GB 1x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB SanDisk M.2 SSD 1TB HGST 7.2k HDD Custom Cooling by Dell Solutions Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Screen Dell 130w PSU Logitech G602 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 'Ripper' Mouse Pad 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2760QM Toshiba Qosmio X775 Nvidia 1.5GB GTX 560M 8GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120GB Samsung 830 SSD + 1TB HGST 7200RPM HDD CD/DVD-RW Stock Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
17.3" - 1600x900 Standard backlit 180w Power Adapter Logitech G500s 
Audio
Harmon/Kardon Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Jesus, y'all have me going back and forth. Okay, so let's just say that the performance between the two are fairly comparable. How is the longevity of the battery on gaming notebooks? I know they're pretty good off the bat, but do they start to decay fairly quickly? Also, the fact that it comes pre assembled is an incentive. I do actually have windows 7 already, so the gpu upgrade would be potentially viable. I'll have to see exactly what I can get for the same price range with the SFF.
Edited by pcoutu17 - 7/26/13 at 7:16pm
post #13 of 17
If your plugged into the wall all the time just remove the battery and store it well until you actually need it.
Pixelpusher
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K (LGA 1151) 3.5Ghz  GIGABYTE GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 ITX  ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB Kingston HyperX 8.0GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 250GB SSD Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 7200RPM Noctua NH-D15  Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2815Q (3840x2160) Razer Blackwiddow Tournament Edition Stealth Silverstone Strider Essentials (ES-500) 500W Phanteks Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder 3.5G  Steelseries Objective 2 Headphone Amplifier VMODA Crossfade M-100 + BoomPro 
AudioOther
Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G13  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2415 Apple Logic Board Intel HD3000 Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120GB Hard Drive Caddy + 320GB Toshiba 5200RPM HDD OSX Mountain Lion + Windows 7 Professional 64-b... 13" (1280x800) Glossy TN 
  hide details  
Reply
Pixelpusher
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K (LGA 1151) 3.5Ghz  GIGABYTE GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 ITX  ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB Kingston HyperX 8.0GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 250GB SSD Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 7200RPM Noctua NH-D15  Windows 10 Professional 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2815Q (3840x2160) Razer Blackwiddow Tournament Edition Stealth Silverstone Strider Essentials (ES-500) 500W Phanteks Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder 3.5G  Steelseries Objective 2 Headphone Amplifier VMODA Crossfade M-100 + BoomPro 
AudioOther
Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G13  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2415 Apple Logic Board Intel HD3000 Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120GB Hard Drive Caddy + 320GB Toshiba 5200RPM HDD OSX Mountain Lion + Windows 7 Professional 64-b... 13" (1280x800) Glossy TN 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

Look, if you want to get into this debate about how the GTX 780M is a lot slower than the GTX 780, then perhaps you should compare the like GPU cores first. The GTX 780 uses the GK110 layout and the GTX 780M uses a GK104 layout... so... your argument is already invalid. It's ALWAYS been this way with laptop GPUs.

The one thing that the laptop has over a SFF desktop is the size. There's nothing you can do to a SFF desktop that will ever place it in the same size category. Not to mention the power and heat footprint of the laptop lines happen to be considerably lower than any desktop out there. Most budget desktops still output more heat than most gaming laptops. So size, heat volume, and power draw... three of the most important things when regarding a SFF PC, leaving portability out of the question.

If you wanna get even more technical, the GTX 770M is a GTX 660 but clocked lower. Just sayin'. Overclocking a laptop GPU, especially one in a Sager, is NOT hard and the heat increase is negligible. It's entirely up to the OP, however I don't really think that completely debunking the laptop idea is the best option. You wouldn't go into an Nvidia thread and say the poster is stupid for trying to go for an Nvidia GPU would you? Same principle applies here.
mate, we are trying to say the same thing.. Obviously you can't fit a 250W part in a laptop with the tech available today. I wasn't arguing that. As I said, laptops are thermals constrained, desktop not as much.
A SFF is portable, simply proven by the fact that my SG08 travels across Europe twice a year. Sure you can't use it on the way, but that's not the point of portability.
A mobile device is designed to be used on the go, I. e. macbook air/tablets.
I have no idea what you are referring to with the "Nvidia thread".. whatever. OP has a user scenario very similar to mine and I shared with him a alternative solution to the problem. It's down to OP whether to take my suggestion into consideration or not.
hope it clarifies.
BlackSugar
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4690K ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Palit Jetstream GTX 970 Kingston HyperX Black Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 Samsung 850 EVO Noctua L9i Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
QNIX QX2710 Logitech G710+ SeaSonic M12II 620 Silverstone SG13 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
BlackSugar
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4690K ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Palit Jetstream GTX 970 Kingston HyperX Black Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 Samsung 850 EVO Noctua L9i Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
QNIX QX2710 Logitech G710+ SeaSonic M12II 620 Silverstone SG13 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrockh View Post

mate, we are trying to say the same thing.. Obviously you can't fit a 250W part in a laptop with the tech available today. I wasn't arguing that. As I said, laptops are thermals constrained, desktop not as much.
A SFF is portable, simply proven by the fact that my SG08 travels across Europe twice a year. Sure you can't use it on the way, but that's not the point of portability.
A mobile device is designed to be used on the go, I. e. macbook air/tablets.
I have no idea what you are referring to with the "Nvidia thread".. whatever. OP has a user scenario very similar to mine and I shared with him a alternative solution to the problem. It's down to OP whether to take my suggestion into consideration or not.
hope it clarifies.

Great, you took your SFF machine across Europe twice over a year... that's really not proving much. tongue.gif

Laptop thermals aren't any more constrained than a SFF desktop and a mobile device like a Macbook Air isn't designed to play games. That's a terrible example.

Lastly, the reference I made to the "Nvidia Thread" was, I thought, rather clearly put and obvious. I was mistaken. I was noting on how you immediately debunked the OP's question and tried to get him to buy a desktop, making him second-guess his own actions and think he made the wrong choice. That's not what you're supposed to do when someone asks a question. You offered no real explanation about WHY he should go for the SFF desktop other than saying that the desktop offers greater performance for the dollar than the laptop... which is unneeded.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6300HQ Dell Proprietary 4GB Nvidia GTX 960M Samsung 12GB (1x8GB 1x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB SanDisk M.2 SSD 1TB HGST 7.2k HDD Custom Cooling by Dell Solutions Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Screen Dell 130w PSU Logitech G602 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 'Ripper' Mouse Pad 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2760QM Toshiba Qosmio X775 Nvidia 1.5GB GTX 560M 8GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120GB Samsung 830 SSD + 1TB HGST 7200RPM HDD CD/DVD-RW Stock Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
17.3" - 1600x900 Standard backlit 180w Power Adapter Logitech G500s 
Audio
Harmon/Kardon Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6300HQ Dell Proprietary 4GB Nvidia GTX 960M Samsung 12GB (1x8GB 1x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB SanDisk M.2 SSD 1TB HGST 7.2k HDD Custom Cooling by Dell Solutions Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Screen Dell 130w PSU Logitech G602 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 'Ripper' Mouse Pad 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2760QM Toshiba Qosmio X775 Nvidia 1.5GB GTX 560M 8GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120GB Samsung 830 SSD + 1TB HGST 7200RPM HDD CD/DVD-RW Stock Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
17.3" - 1600x900 Standard backlit 180w Power Adapter Logitech G500s 
Audio
Harmon/Kardon Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

Great, you took your SFF machine across Europe twice over a year... that's really not proving much. tongue.gif

Laptop thermals aren't any more constrained than a SFF desktop and a mobile device like a Macbook Air isn't designed to play games. That's a terrible example.

Lastly, the reference I made to the "Nvidia Thread" was, I thought, rather clearly put and obvious. I was mistaken. I was noting on how you immediately debunked the OP's question and tried to get him to buy a desktop, making him second-guess his own actions and think he made the wrong choice. That's not what you're supposed to do when someone asks a question. You offered no real explanation about WHY he should go for the SFF desktop other than saying that the desktop offers greater performance for the dollar than the laptop... which is unneeded.

ok
BlackSugar
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4690K ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Palit Jetstream GTX 970 Kingston HyperX Black Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 Samsung 850 EVO Noctua L9i Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
QNIX QX2710 Logitech G710+ SeaSonic M12II 620 Silverstone SG13 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
BlackSugar
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4690K ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Palit Jetstream GTX 970 Kingston HyperX Black Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M500 Samsung 850 EVO Noctua L9i Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
QNIX QX2710 Logitech G710+ SeaSonic M12II 620 Silverstone SG13 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
MSI GT60 all the way!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › New Gaming Laptop/DTR