Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CVG] Xbox One first-party games to cost £49.99
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CVG] Xbox One first-party games to cost £49.99 - Page 3

post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post

or are games much better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post

Good graphics and features can only add to a great game
So does that mean you want to qualify "better" now?
Micro Dance
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k z97i-plus EVGA GTX980 SC 16GB Team Xtreme 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
512GB Samsung SSD 830 NH-L12 Windows 10 EVGA Hadron Air 
  hide details  
Reply
Micro Dance
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k z97i-plus EVGA GTX980 SC 16GB Team Xtreme 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
512GB Samsung SSD 830 NH-L12 Windows 10 EVGA Hadron Air 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 48
Gameplay > Graphics in 99% cases which is why even when Crisis 1 launched the MP for example was rather bland and there were other games that have had me interested for much longer time (even SP games for that matter)

Also you should be comparing marketing budgets not dev budgets to what they were then and are now. Back then I don't remember almost any hype over new games and it was all about people's recommendations not the lying PR/Marketing tongue.gif
Gaming RigX
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3970x Asus P9X79 HIS 7970 Kingston Predator 2x8gb DDR3 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Constelation 1TB Intel 330 WD 3TB  Seagate Baracuda 2TB Sata III 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110 Windows 7 Ultimate Philips 24' EEL IPS 1080P  CM Quickfire Storm Red Switches 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 850w ZX None Logitech G400s QCK Mass 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro 80ohm headphones  Fiio E10 headphone amp/dac  Magnat Supreme 2000 - x2 Marantz PM7200 amp 
Audio
Shure SE215 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming RigX
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3970x Asus P9X79 HIS 7970 Kingston Predator 2x8gb DDR3 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Constelation 1TB Intel 330 WD 3TB  Seagate Baracuda 2TB Sata III 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H110 Windows 7 Ultimate Philips 24' EEL IPS 1080P  CM Quickfire Storm Red Switches 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 850w ZX None Logitech G400s QCK Mass 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro 80ohm headphones  Fiio E10 headphone amp/dac  Magnat Supreme 2000 - x2 Marantz PM7200 amp 
Audio
Shure SE215 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeans69 View Post

Also you should be comparing marketing budgets not dev budgets to what they were then and are now. Back then I don't remember almost any hype over new games and it was all about people's recommendations not the lying PR/Marketing tongue.gif
The dirty secret is that marketing budgets pay for themselves (unless they are colossal failures, which do occasionally happen). That's not to say all games need marketing budgets, or will benefit from one, but well managed advertising pays massive dividends in additional sales.
Micro Dance
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k z97i-plus EVGA GTX980 SC 16GB Team Xtreme 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
512GB Samsung SSD 830 NH-L12 Windows 10 EVGA Hadron Air 
  hide details  
Reply
Micro Dance
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k z97i-plus EVGA GTX980 SC 16GB Team Xtreme 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
512GB Samsung SSD 830 NH-L12 Windows 10 EVGA Hadron Air 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 48
Couple this with micro transactions and other DLC, it just isn't worth the expense anymore, especially as games seem to be more about milking cash then any sort of passion for story telling or good, challenging gameplay.

Shame that. In fact the last game i purchased was Don't Starve and that was months ago on release. Indie devs seem to have more of a grasp of what a good game is then anyone else because their passion is in the development, not the revenue.

Somewhat reminds me of that South Park Episode where "musicians" protest against song piracy, but only because they're in it for the money, not for making quality music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post

Nah real gamers will have both. But some just prefer couch, big screen, no messing with drivers or settings. Plug n Play.

Realistically though, if next gen have the same problems as current gen, it'll be:

1. RROD/YLOD

2. Other hardware failures such as the famous 360 disc drive issue

3. DRM getting in the way.

And the worst part with 1 & 2 is both are out of your control to repair without voiding warranties, so you have to send back the system repeatedly to get it repaired, which could leave you weeks without a console.

In the end, the very "plug and play" capability of consoles that gave them that competitive edge over PC's is really, just getting worse and worse. For me, consoles started to decline after the Nintendo 64 era.
Edited by Thingamajig - 7/26/13 at 6:10am
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post

Couple this with micro transactions and other DLC, it just isn't worth the expense anymore, especially as games seem to be more about milking cash then any sort of passion for story telling or good, challenging gameplay.

Shame that. In fact the last game i purchased was Don't Starve and that was months ago on release. Indie devs seem to have more of a grasp of what a good game is then anyone else because their passion is in the development, not the revenue..


Exactly, and apart from don't starve been epic fun, projects from kickstarter and greenlight are paving the way for the games that people really want.. and they are made for PC / MAC / Linux not consoles
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by t00sl0w View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post

But you need to remember, cartridges were about 30% of the cost of a game back in the day. Discs these days are less than 1%

this, and then with digital you remove any markup from logistics and bam you have 100% gross profit if its in house.

Not that I like the pricing, but there are associated costs. Servers and bandwidth for those digital downloads are not free.
Gnomeon
(16 items)
 
GnomeBook Pro
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 ASUS P8Z77-V SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC Radeon R9 290X 4GB  Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M550 256GB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2730Z Cooler Master Quickfire Pro Unbranded (Tenkeyless) SeaSonic SG12 550W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseAudioAudioOther
Mionix Avior Swan M10 Philips Fidelio X1 Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2720QM Logic Board Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD 6750M 1gb Crucial 16GB 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Hitachi 5400rpm 8x double-layer SuperDrive OS x 10.7.4 15.4" LED-backlit glossy widescreen display 144... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter 2011 Unibody Magic Trackpad 
Audio
Built-in Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
Gnomeon
(16 items)
 
GnomeBook Pro
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 ASUS P8Z77-V SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC Radeon R9 290X 4GB  Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M550 256GB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2730Z Cooler Master Quickfire Pro Unbranded (Tenkeyless) SeaSonic SG12 550W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseAudioAudioOther
Mionix Avior Swan M10 Philips Fidelio X1 Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2720QM Logic Board Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD 6750M 1gb Crucial 16GB 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750gb Hitachi 5400rpm 8x double-layer SuperDrive OS x 10.7.4 15.4" LED-backlit glossy widescreen display 144... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter 2011 Unibody Magic Trackpad 
Audio
Built-in Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeio View Post


So does that mean you want to qualify "better" now?

Not really. I believe games are as much an art as they are technical.

But by your definition, Crysis 3 should be more expensive than another games due to the graphics and features. I would personally pay more money for Far Cry 3 as it is a great game with good graphics and features.

But if you are going to quote a tiny part of my post to suit your argument, knock yourself out.
post #28 of 48
What do games cost now? £49.99 sounds perfectly fine to me. Not sure why you guys spun it negatively. The quote about the 70,80,90 dollars is from Peter Moore of EA, and NOBODY is forcing you to purchase DLC......
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 48
Yea I remember my N64 games costing $60, but again due to the cartridge. And I agree that we are lucky prices have not risen much over the years, but looking at $70 or $80 or $90 for a game you are out of your mind. And while graphics help enhance a good game, they have nothing to do with what makes a game good. Gameplay is what matters and unfortunately many of the big developers have forgotten that. Increasing budgets of games does not = a better product. Again, why are Indie and Kickstarter games doing so well? Because they listen to the customer and they are not blinded by $$$ and don't need ginormous budgets. They are driven by passion and vision which helps them innovate. Same reason why I think Nintendo will always be my favorite. Them dudes are passionate and know how to make enjoyable gameplay.
   
Office Special
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4790K Gigabyte Z97MX - Gaming 5 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Corsair H50 Windows 8.1 64-bit ASUS VH238H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SteelSeries 6G Corsair Professional HX650W Fractal Design Define Mini SteelSeries Ikari Laser 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2410M Lenovo NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1GB GDDR5 Samsung 8GB 1333MHz CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
RunCore 30GB mSATA SSD + Western Digital Caviar... LG BD-ROM / DVD RW Cooler Master NotePal U2 Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorPowerCase
15.6" 1366x768 Delta 120W IdeaPad Y570 
  hide details  
Reply
   
Office Special
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4790K Gigabyte Z97MX - Gaming 5 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Corsair H50 Windows 8.1 64-bit ASUS VH238H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SteelSeries 6G Corsair Professional HX650W Fractal Design Define Mini SteelSeries Ikari Laser 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2410M Lenovo NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1GB GDDR5 Samsung 8GB 1333MHz CL9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
RunCore 30GB mSATA SSD + Western Digital Caviar... LG BD-ROM / DVD RW Cooler Master NotePal U2 Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorPowerCase
15.6" 1366x768 Delta 120W IdeaPad Y570 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard36qs View Post

Again, why are Indie and Kickstarter games doing so well? Because they listen to the customer and they are not blinded by $$$ and don't need ginormous budgets. They are driven by passion and vision which helps them innovate. Same reason why I think Nintendo will always be my favorite. Them dudes are passionate and know how to make enjoyable gameplay.

Nintendo have always tried to keep things to a consistent quality and standard, and that is why i favor them over all other consoles. Even as a child it was apparent. The consoles were built like brick houses and they always stood the test of time.

Now though i believe their biggest feature is also their biggest downfall. They're trying to keep the console platform a unique experience but i also think alot of people find it rather gimmicky and unnecessary (The entire motion sensor thing). Either way though, i view the other competitors consoles as simple media hubs, and for such a machine, my PC would kick their backsides to the dirt.
Edited by Thingamajig - 7/26/13 at 6:25am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [CVG] Xbox One first-party games to cost £49.99