Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Any difference 8800 gts/gtx?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any difference 8800 gts/gtx? - Page 5

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenutty1 View Post
Clearly your missed my point and/or we very different views on what constitutes a 'good upgrade' and a 'bad upgrade'. IMO, right now, buying a new system as you say (ie. Core2 Duo + DDR2 RAM + Mobo + Geforce 7xxx card) is a terrible idea. I have told everybody that I know to wait 6 months from now to upgrade if they can. Why?

1. The system I stated above would cost 800 to 1000, minimum. Oh ya, and even that doesn't buy him DX10 capability. The card he got cost him ~400. Seems like a deal to me.

2. The PC market right now is extremely volatile and changes from day to day almost. With Vista coming out, most companies are jacking up prices to take advantage of everyone trying to upgrade to be 'Vista Capable'. That means the consumer gets shafted for the most part, in case I'm not being clear.

3. He can still upgrade to a C2D later! Just because he didn't do it right now, doesn't mean that hes never going to upgrade. As he said, he 14. That likely means no job and under the watch of parents, and parents don't always like to replace half of their kids computer every few months.

4. You probably missed this in his first few posts, but hes getting this card as a GIFT. He probably picked it out, but in my experience, its easier to ask for 1 bigger gift from mom and dad ($400) than 4 smaller gifts at $100 a piece. Don't know why, just is.
Like I keep saying.... new Pentium processor and a decent video card is all he needs. I already said he could sell it... or return it for the money.

It is pointless in wasting $200 worth of performance now. If he plans to upgrade the system in a few months, it would be fine to do that for now. However, if he doesn't plan to overhaul his system for 6+ months then it IS a wasted $200. In 6 months, the relative performance of the card will drop because we all know nVidia and ATI will be release new/cheaper cards. It would be like buying a 6800 card for full price now-a-days.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 49
i understand, but surely you see the flaw in having such a good graphics card, when the rest of the pc is a little old now? its like putting a V12 engine in a mini, its a great idea on paper, but the tyres are tiny and the gearbox will break in a matter of minutes!
post #43 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenutty1 View Post
Wow. I can't believe I'm hearing some of this stuff.

#1. Yes, his CPU will bottleneck his card. But to say that it will run like garbage is almost a flat out lie. He still has a strong CPU (a bit dated but still strong) and a new kickass video card. You guys act like its going to perform worse than his previous card, which it most certainly will not.

#2. To say he is wasting the card is another BS comment. Will the card be used to its full potential. Probably not. Will it improve the total performance of his system. YES. And now, when he upgrades or gets a new PC down the road, he has an excellent DX10 card to throw in it right away.

#3. Not everyone has 1000s of dollars wait patiently in banks to blow on upgrades. Just because you upgrade 1 component doesn't mean you have to immediately upgrade everything else to match it. If anything doing it a bit at a time is the smart way, IMO.

Anyways, don't knock the guys system just cuz he doesn't have the latest and greatest. I think that card is a wise investment, esp if his last card was sub-par.

/rant end

PS, if you don't mind telling, what video card are you upgrading from?
Thays true dont say ****ing bull**** i know it will bottleneck but **** he is so right because i dont have the latest and greatest video card then you all blame me for no ****ing ****. STOP PLZ!? And i upgraded from x600 pro.
The Kandalf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 5820K MSI X99S Gaming 7 ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 8GB (2x4GB) Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB HP DVD630 Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Philips Brilliance 220CW Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard Fractal Design Newton R3, 800W 80+ Platinum Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Naos 8200 Razer Pro Solutions Arcam rDAC B&W CM1 
  hide details  
Reply
The Kandalf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 5820K MSI X99S Gaming 7 ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 8GB (2x4GB) Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB HP DVD630 Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Philips Brilliance 220CW Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard Fractal Design Newton R3, 800W 80+ Platinum Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Naos 8200 Razer Pro Solutions Arcam rDAC B&W CM1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_ame_killer_2 View Post
Thays true dont say ****ing bull**** i know it will bottleneck but **** he is so right because i dont have the latest and greatest video card then you all blame me for no ****ing ****. STOP PLZ!? And i upgraded from x600 pro.
sorry for trying to speed up the rest of your PC, and telling you how to save some money

Getting this graphics card is pointless, i've said why, you HAVE bought the latest and greatest card, but it's useless to you because of your existing hardware
post #45 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
it may be really nice, but he's COMPLETELY wrong - please, if you can cancel your order, you are just wasting your money

Your PSU is listed in your specs as a CoolerMaster 650w, which sounds like it might just take the 8800GTS
Look you say migh just take 8800 gts. 8800 gts need a 400 w whit 26 amper on the 12 rail and my psu have 650 and 36 amper so plz....
The Kandalf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 5820K MSI X99S Gaming 7 ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 8GB (2x4GB) Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB HP DVD630 Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Philips Brilliance 220CW Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard Fractal Design Newton R3, 800W 80+ Platinum Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Naos 8200 Razer Pro Solutions Arcam rDAC B&W CM1 
  hide details  
Reply
The Kandalf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 5820K MSI X99S Gaming 7 ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 8GB (2x4GB) Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB HP DVD630 Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Philips Brilliance 220CW Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard Fractal Design Newton R3, 800W 80+ Platinum Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Naos 8200 Razer Pro Solutions Arcam rDAC B&W CM1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
sorry for trying to speed up the rest of your PC, and telling you how to save some money

Getting this graphics card is pointless, i've said why, you HAVE bought the latest and greatest card, but it's useless to you because of your existing hardware
That sounds better but yet plz stop blaming me for BS because i dont have good cpu. Thx all i really feel better now ....

EDIT: Any other that whant to blame me? Feeel free....

And sorry but you really do me angry.....
The Kandalf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 5820K MSI X99S Gaming 7 ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 8GB (2x4GB) Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB HP DVD630 Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Philips Brilliance 220CW Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard Fractal Design Newton R3, 800W 80+ Platinum Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Naos 8200 Razer Pro Solutions Arcam rDAC B&W CM1 
  hide details  
Reply
The Kandalf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 5820K MSI X99S Gaming 7 ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 8GB (2x4GB) Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB HP DVD630 Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Philips Brilliance 220CW Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard Fractal Design Newton R3, 800W 80+ Platinum Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Naos 8200 Razer Pro Solutions Arcam rDAC B&W CM1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_ame_killer_2 View Post
That sounds better but yet plz stop blaming me for BS because i dont have good cpu. Thx all i really feel better now ....
im not blaming you, im just saying it will hold you back - so much so that the 8800GTS will only get you a better score than a... 7900GT in benchmarks, in games it will be limited by the CPU, thus you might as well either get something slower and save some money, or get something slower, and spend the rest upgrading the rest, as that would cost the same as the 8800GTS you're getting, it might not be quicker in benchmarks, but in games it will be alot faster.

Either way you'll have a quick PC, but as is the case, you could get so much quicker without spending any more...

i'm not blaming you, i'm trying to help you spend your money the best, if you dont want help then why did you post?
post #48 of 49
Thread Starter 
No no no....but every one started to say "your cpu sux". Every one say like that, thats anoys me and you are right i need a beter cpu but *hey* i have a XFX 8800 GTS. Thats the whole point for me... Thx all anyway... If any one are trying to help plz dont say buy a new cpu...

Sorry guys....ty
The Kandalf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 5820K MSI X99S Gaming 7 ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 8GB (2x4GB) Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB HP DVD630 Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Philips Brilliance 220CW Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard Fractal Design Newton R3, 800W 80+ Platinum Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Naos 8200 Razer Pro Solutions Arcam rDAC B&W CM1 
  hide details  
Reply
The Kandalf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 5820K MSI X99S Gaming 7 ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X ASUS R9 280X TOP Crossfire X 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 8GB (2x4GB) Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB HP DVD630 Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Philips Brilliance 220CW Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard Fractal Design Newton R3, 800W 80+ Platinum Corsair 900D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Naos 8200 Razer Pro Solutions Arcam rDAC B&W CM1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 49
I AM trying to help, you CPU doesn't suck, but compared to your graphics card it does, i know a new CPU is expensive, but it would of been a better deal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Any difference 8800 gts/gtx?