Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Which way do I Turn??? Two of the top MOBO comparisons....need help!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which way do I Turn??? Two of the top MOBO comparisons....need help!!

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Hey guys, I am in a bit of a wall right now, I am leaning towards a Z87 Haswell build with a 4770K CPU, but I can't fully decide on which of these mobos. Please help me out and compare the boards side by side features, specs etc. and please NO FAN BOY OPINIONS I just need some old school honest comparisons and opinions of TRUE OC and gaming enthusiast like myself =) see links below and tell me what you think.

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-XPOWER.html#specification

OR

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_EXTREME/#overview


Thx in advance.
post #2 of 8
While the Xpower is a great board, the Extreme is a proven OC performer which is used by many of the top overclockers. Taking into account the extreme is cheaper than the xpower, the decision is an easy one.
 
Up to no good
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.7ghz @1.4v (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 @ 2150MHz Corsair Dominator Platinums 2133 cl9 1.5v 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor M5P Extreme SSD 128gb x 2 in Raid0 Corsair H105 Windows 8 Pro DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W 21:9 Curved Ultra Widesc... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Corsair AX1200i Corsair 760T Func MS-2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.2 1.3v Asus Rampage II Extreme EVGA GTX 690 6gb Corsair Dominator 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 256GB 3x Dell 2405 - Eyefinity Logitech G710+ Enermax Revolution 1050W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone FT02 Corsair M60 Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Up to no good
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.7ghz @1.4v (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 @ 2150MHz Corsair Dominator Platinums 2133 cl9 1.5v 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor M5P Extreme SSD 128gb x 2 in Raid0 Corsair H105 Windows 8 Pro DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W 21:9 Curved Ultra Widesc... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Corsair AX1200i Corsair 760T Func MS-2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.2 1.3v Asus Rampage II Extreme EVGA GTX 690 6gb Corsair Dominator 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 256GB 3x Dell 2405 - Eyefinity Logitech G710+ Enermax Revolution 1050W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone FT02 Corsair M60 Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood78 View Post

While the Xpower is a great board, the Extreme is a proven OC performer which is used by many of the top overclockers. Taking into account the extreme is cheaper than the xpower, the decision is an easy one.
+1, good advice!
The Money Trap
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5820K ASUS X99-Deluxe 2 x EVGA GTX980 SLI 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Games = Crucial 256GB M4 SSD OS = Samsung 256GB 830 SSD Backup Western Digital HDDs  Samsung 223 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Phanteks PH-TC-14PE  Win 7 x64 Ultimate  Dell U2412M 1920x1200 Antec TPQ 1200W 
CaseOther
Cooler Master HAF 932 UPS: APC BackUPS XS1500 
  hide details  
Reply
The Money Trap
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5820K ASUS X99-Deluxe 2 x EVGA GTX980 SLI 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Games = Crucial 256GB M4 SSD OS = Samsung 256GB 830 SSD Backup Western Digital HDDs  Samsung 223 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Phanteks PH-TC-14PE  Win 7 x64 Ultimate  Dell U2412M 1920x1200 Antec TPQ 1200W 
CaseOther
Cooler Master HAF 932 UPS: APC BackUPS XS1500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
I appreciate your guys feedback and your right about ASUS it is the brand that represents "Republic Of Gamers" =) that being said, MSI also is known to have GREAT OC tweaks, bells and whistles and is also very user friendly in my experience, dnt get me wrong ASUS is also, but this Xpower and also the other OC Certified/HardBurned Tested series mbobos such as the MPower and MPower Max and recently the GD65 Gaming series mobo all recieved top tier results. Xpower is only 40bucks more
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgam3r View Post

I appreciate your guys feedback and your right about ASUS it is the brand that represents "Republic Of Gamers" =) that being said, MSI also is known to have GREAT OC tweaks, bells and whistles and is also very user friendly in my experience, dnt get me wrong ASUS is also, but this Xpower and also the other OC Certified/HardBurned Tested series mbobos such as the MPower and MPower Max and recently the GD65 Gaming series mobo all recieved top tier results. Xpower is only 40bucks more

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either but there is a reason most extreme overclockers use the Extreme. if $40 extra got you a little better board, then there may be an arguement there but I think in this case, its $40 for a slightly less proven board. Just my 2 cents of course biggrin.gif Its not like im an extreme overclocker haha.
 
Up to no good
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.7ghz @1.4v (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 @ 2150MHz Corsair Dominator Platinums 2133 cl9 1.5v 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor M5P Extreme SSD 128gb x 2 in Raid0 Corsair H105 Windows 8 Pro DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W 21:9 Curved Ultra Widesc... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Corsair AX1200i Corsair 760T Func MS-2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.2 1.3v Asus Rampage II Extreme EVGA GTX 690 6gb Corsair Dominator 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 256GB 3x Dell 2405 - Eyefinity Logitech G710+ Enermax Revolution 1050W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone FT02 Corsair M60 Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Up to no good
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.7ghz @1.4v (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 @ 2150MHz Corsair Dominator Platinums 2133 cl9 1.5v 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor M5P Extreme SSD 128gb x 2 in Raid0 Corsair H105 Windows 8 Pro DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W 21:9 Curved Ultra Widesc... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Corsair AX1200i Corsair 760T Func MS-2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.2 1.3v Asus Rampage II Extreme EVGA GTX 690 6gb Corsair Dominator 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 256GB 3x Dell 2405 - Eyefinity Logitech G710+ Enermax Revolution 1050W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone FT02 Corsair M60 Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Either board will do well for you. Consider ASUS' warranty issues before you make a purchase. http://www.overclock.net/t/1397643/asus-p8z77-v-failure-and-asus-response

Good luck!
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
+1 for advice sbdblyss---->>>> Really sorry for what you went through bruh, i could imagine how frustrating it was yessir.gif

@inglewood lolz everybody knows that ASUS Extreme series are known for the OC capabilities, that being said, both ASUS and MSI have been in the OC game for about the same length of time, both boards offer 3 year warranty according to Newegg. I've owned Gigabyte, ASUS and EVGA mobos in the past and ASUS has been good to me but also has EVGA. I currently own in my opinion one of the BEST boards that EVGA has ever made, it was MADE for gaming EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW series, it served me for 6 years of good gaming, paired with 2 eVGA geforce GTX 280s in SLI. but now all my hardware is by far obsolete, which is y i am wayyy overdue for a new gaming rig (LOL) never had any issues with my setup, just think its time to go EXTREME gaming. I have heard and seen a lot of good reviews thus far for recent MSI OC board series and I think its time to try something new, which is y I am getting XPower Z87 MOBO, now u somewhat came off as an ASUS fanboy, not a bad thing, if u love a brand u love it, to each its own, if you watch videos for the XPower and here a tech professional describe it in details, it is seriously an INSSSAANNNEEE mobo (Linus Tech Tips, TOMS HARDWARE, ANANDTECH, KITGURU and others describe mobo in depth if u like to read) that being said the ASUS makes remarkable gaming boards, and I will give it props on top of props. Doesnt hurt to try new things I still like ASUS brand, the 3 monitors im getting are ASUS and are the BEST for gaming ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313 ) My system is going to be beast mode when I build it. All of this is my 2 cents, 5 cents and 10 cents:D
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgam3r View Post

+1 for advice sbdblyss---->>>> Really sorry for what you went through bruh, i could imagine how frustrating it was yessir.gif

@inglewood lolz everybody knows that ASUS Extreme series are known for the OC capabilities, that being said, both ASUS and MSI have been in the OC game for about the same length of time, both boards offer 3 year warranty according to Newegg. I've owned Gigabyte, ASUS and EVGA mobos in the past and ASUS has been good to me but also has EVGA. I currently own in my opinion one of the BEST boards that EVGA has ever made, it was MADE for gaming EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW series, it served me for 6 years of good gaming, paired with 2 eVGA geforce GTX 280s in SLI. but now all my hardware is by far obsolete, which is y i am wayyy overdue for a new gaming rig (LOL) never had any issues with my setup, just think its time to go EXTREME gaming. I have heard and seen a lot of good reviews thus far for recent MSI OC board series and I think its time to try something new, which is y I am getting XPower Z87 MOBO, now u somewhat came off as an ASUS fanboy, not a bad thing, if u love a brand u love it, to each its own, if you watch videos for the XPower and here a tech professional describe it in details, it is seriously an INSSSAANNNEEE mobo (Linus Tech Tips, TOMS HARDWARE, ANANDTECH, KITGURU and others describe mobo in depth if u like to read) that being said the ASUS makes remarkable gaming boards, and I will give it props on top of props. Doesnt hurt to try new things I still like ASUS brand, the 3 monitors im getting are ASUS and are the BEST for gaming ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313 ) My system is going to be beast mode when I build it. All of this is my 2 cents, 5 cents and 10 cents:D

Newegg Video on XPOWER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3UXnzmaH40
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Which way do I Turn??? Two of the top MOBO comparisons....need help!!