Originally Posted by doritos93
All these stories and I've yet to hear how it is even possible for a phone to explode/catch fire. What chemicals/elements can we find in a mobile in large enough quantities to start a fire or even burn an entire apartment?
Explosion is relative honestly, a "pop" to one person my be an "explosion" to another. It is quite possible for a phone to burn down a house/apt/building from being the initial source of the fire. The main culprit being the battery. This goes for tablets/laptops/game-systems/handhelds/etc. We are shoving larger and larger batteries into our devices, whether that be through size, density, or both. There are a lot of volatile chemicals that are packed into those batteries and with the vast amount of them in households and on users there are bound to be ones with defects.
According the owner of the phone and apartment—identified only as "Du"—he was simply minding his own business when the phone's battery went out with a bang. Startled by the loud pop of the apparent explosion, Du quickly flung the handset under the couch, which promptly spread his fire problems from phone to home. And while the explosion was minor, the ensuing inferno did some real damage.
This would not be uncommon for a reaction. Battery failure that led to a pop after the pressure built up and the following reaction of the user to toss the device out of his/her hand. Not sure about all of you, but I would just chuck the thing if it started popping/exploding while I was using it.
That being said, it is really surprising and/or a testament to just how good manufactures have gotten at the production of batteries that we do not see this more often and when we do it becomes a gawk show. Even the third party battery companies have seemingly good track records. Which is in contrast to the past, think dell and their meltdowns
*To add we do not know as of yet whether this was a defect or user caused issue.