Overclock.net banner

Another Chip heist!!! What is with this fetish of silicon

998 views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  zorpnic 
#1 ·
What company did they steal from?

Quote:

Proving that Malaysian industrial complexes aren't the only venues where shoddy security can facilitate the theft of thousands of PC components, a pair of crooks in California turned a minor fender bender into a successful heist of some 100,000 microchips on Tuesday afternoon

Linky

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/21/c...00-microchips/

See less See more
#6 ·
This kind of thing is actually a big problem in the chip industry, and it's not limited to chip theft, there's kidnappings, espionage and assassination attempts too. It's alot more low key in the US obviously, but it does happen occasionaly

#9 ·
You guys forget that they can sell these chips in the Third world countries, where almost no one has seen a C2D or an A64; places where people still use PIIs and PIIIs. Even in places like Mexico, these guys can make some profit by selling these chips on machines with pirated software.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by redfroth
View Post

This kind of thing is actually a big problem in the chip industry, and it's not limited to chip theft, there's kidnappings, espionage and assassination attempts too. It's alot more low key in the US obviously, but it does happen occasionaly

The son of the India Adobe Systems CEO was kidnapped last month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideburns
View Post

LOL! $1.90 a chip? Must be a typo or something....that's just ridiculous.

Sounds right for certain very high-end processors. The manufacturing cost are rediciously cheap. Street price however is often a LOT more.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidgnome229
View Post

The also may not be CPU's. The word microchip covers a lot of ground - just because they're cheap doesn't mean they aren't in demand

Very good point.

Even if it was a processor, it does not necessarily mean from the big 2. Motorola, Via, IBM, etc, make chips for products like navigation systems, cell phones, almost anything you can buy that's electronic. For all we know, these were the CPU of a Kenmore Freezer's ice maker.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp
View Post

Even if it was a processor, it does not necessarily mean from the big 2. Motorola, Via, IBM, etc, make chips for products like navigation systems, cell phones, almost anything you can buy that's electronic. For all we know, these were the CPU of a Kenmore Freezer's ice maker.

Oh no! What if my refridgerator breaks and i need to buy one from Kenmore. Blast those microchip thieves, because of you the cost of freezer chips has gone up!!!

#18 ·
You have it figured out CD!!!
Ship in cognito, they would never suspect you of having all that stuff

#20 ·
Their probably not looking to sell those chips individually, but are probably going to sell them to competitors on the black market out of country. They could also have been transporting a new sample from a lab or something and the thieves didn't know what it would be in so they grabbed everything. The chip and software industries are dirtier than the mob I tells ya.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp View Post
Very good point.

My ice maker has Core 2 Quadro. It cools its self.

#22 ·
"If the guy who got hit left the van running, I'd put my money on him being in on it and this is fraud. While I've never been in any car accident (thank you super-aggressive driving), I imagine the first thing I'd do after pulling over is turn the car off and check it out."

Good point!

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEddie
View Post

"If the guy who got hit left the van running, I'd put my money on him being in on it and this is fraud. While I've never been in any car accident (thank you super-aggressive driving), I imagine the first thing I'd do after pulling over is turn the car off and check it out."

Good point!

Well not all truck drivers are as smart as you TheEddie. Do you think i can hire you to drive the new r600 chips from ATI's secret labs to Montclair, NJ, cause i know you wont be dumb enough to get out of a car with the keys still in the igntion!!!

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudd View Post
yeah. there's a big overclocking underground mafia =/
Hahaha! The Clockfather......

I'll get you a Conroe you can't refuse. Vinny, show the man the goods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.