Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Trouble OCing. Please help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trouble OCing. Please help - Page 2

post #11 of 18
Whoops! That linky no worky.

Also, Maybe you are hitting a "hole" in the bus speed. Try keeping your Vcore @ 1.4, the Chipset on Auto, disable the Vanderpool Technology and the C1E (if applicable), then try 410.

But! Before that, are you using the latest BIOS. I am not saying that is the issue, and that newest is best. But experimenting with another BIOS version is also a possiblity. Note: I use a previous version (0711) than the newest BIOS (0804) for my Mobo as it solved all my problems.

As I look back through my notes, I see that I had a stability issue until I cleared 400, then I was able to continue onward and upward. Heat is what is stopping me now... I think and hope.
Flux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GA-P67A-UD7 GTX 580 2 x 2GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 (OS), Velociraptor (storage) Lite-On W7 64-bit Pro Samsung 275T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Widow Ult. Silverstone DA750 Lian Li T60 R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
Q-Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Flux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GA-P67A-UD7 GTX 580 2 x 2GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 (OS), Velociraptor (storage) Lite-On W7 64-bit Pro Samsung 275T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Widow Ult. Silverstone DA750 Lian Li T60 R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
Q-Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
Whoops! That linky no worky.

Also, Maybe you are hitting a "hole" in the bus speed. Try keeping your Vcore @ 1.4, the Chipset on Auto, disable the Vanderpool Technology and the C1E (if applicable), then try 410.

But! Before that, are you using the latest BIOS. I am not saying that is the issue, and that newest is best. But experimenting with another BIOS version is also a possiblity. Note: I use a previous version (0711) than the newest BIOS (0804) for my Mobo as it solved all my problems.

As I look back through my notes, I see that I had a stability issue until I cleared 400, then I was able to continue onward and upward. Heat is what is stopping me now... I think and hope.
I do have the latest BIOS installed. If I leave the chipset on auto, it will only be at about 1.24 volts. Is that high enough to do an OC? Also, I am trying other values that aren't close to 400 (like 300 and 333) and still having issues. Also, I don't know what "Vanderpool Technology" is. Does it go by another name? Also, I don't see C1E anywhere either. Thanks again for your help. It is much appreciated!
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E660, 400*8 at 1.36 volts (after vdroop) EVGA 680i EVGA 7950 GX2 GSkill 2 * 1GB GBHZ 4-4-4-12-2T 2.1 VOLTS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1 80 gig IDE || 1 320 gig SATA Lite-On SHW-1635S Dell 24in 2407 WFP OCZ GamerXtream 700 watt 
Case
Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 Evolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E660, 400*8 at 1.36 volts (after vdroop) EVGA 680i EVGA 7950 GX2 GSkill 2 * 1GB GBHZ 4-4-4-12-2T 2.1 VOLTS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1 80 gig IDE || 1 320 gig SATA Lite-On SHW-1635S Dell 24in 2407 WFP OCZ GamerXtream 700 watt 
Case
Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 Evolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 18
Hi

I have a similiar setup to you.

Try these settings...

Disable all the options like C1E and Vanderpool.

Put PCI-e Frequency locked to 100 mhz

Put your v-core at 1.45v.

Put all the other voltage settings up one notch but put the FSB Termination voltage up two.

FSB - 400

Multi - x 9

Ram timings - 4-4-4-12, 2.1v

You can run 1:1 with these settings so put the divider option at 800mhz (I think that should be availabe)
New Build
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7-4930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.215v Asus Rampage IV Formula Gigabyte 780 TI OC @ 1295/7400 Gigabyte 780 TI OC @ 1295/7400 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133 9-10-10-24, 2T 2x Corsair GS 120gb SSD Windows 8 QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll @ 120hz 
PowerCase
Seasonic 1250W Corsair Vengeance C70 
  hide details  
Reply
New Build
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7-4930k @ 4.5ghz, 1.215v Asus Rampage IV Formula Gigabyte 780 TI OC @ 1295/7400 Gigabyte 780 TI OC @ 1295/7400 
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133 9-10-10-24, 2T 2x Corsair GS 120gb SSD Windows 8 QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll @ 120hz 
PowerCase
Seasonic 1250W Corsair Vengeance C70 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 18
My pleasure. This is enlightening for both of us.

Vanderpool Technology is a virtualization technology that allows a PC to operate two virtual enviornments,

C1E is a enhanced halt state that lowers power consumption.

Please note that those are glib definitions...

When you say "Chipset" are you refering to the Northbrdige and Southbridge elements...that is what I am refering to. Try them on auto. The Vcore - voltage to the core is the setting that you will want to raise incrementally, and in the smallest stepping allowed.

If you have not already done so, download CPUz.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Check your Vcore there, as there may be a VDroop occuring (the setting in the BIOS is not the actual voltage).

Sometimes my settings and my memory (my brains retention) becomes like spaghetti and I can no longer unravel what I have done. When this occurs, I do a CMOS reset and start again. Keeping notes on your progress and failures is very helpful.

Perhaps start again. Sorry... I know that is not what you would like to hear. You and I have something in common, we are both fairly new to overclocking. I have found that using a solid methodolgy driven by logic yields the best results.

I am having a hard time believing that no one else has chimed in. There are hundreds of members whose knowledge base and experience outweighs mine by orders of magnitude...

Hello?... guys? you out there?

I know it is a pain, and maybe you don't have a digital camera, but shots of your BIOS will help a lot.
Flux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GA-P67A-UD7 GTX 580 2 x 2GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 (OS), Velociraptor (storage) Lite-On W7 64-bit Pro Samsung 275T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Widow Ult. Silverstone DA750 Lian Li T60 R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
Q-Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Flux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GA-P67A-UD7 GTX 580 2 x 2GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 (OS), Velociraptor (storage) Lite-On W7 64-bit Pro Samsung 275T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Widow Ult. Silverstone DA750 Lian Li T60 R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
Q-Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
My pleasure. This is enlightening for both of us.

Vanderpool Technology is a virtualization technology that allows a PC to operate two virtual enviornments,

C1E is a enhanced halt state that lowers power consumption.

Please note that those are glib definitions...

When you say "Chipset" are you refering to the Northbrdige and Southbridge elements...that is what I am refering to. Try them on auto. The Vcore - voltage to the core is the setting that you will want to raise incrementally, and in the smallest stepping allowed.

If you have not already done so, download CPUz.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Check your Vcore there, as there may be a VDroop occuring (the setting in the BIOS is not the actual voltage).

Sometimes my settings and my memory (my brains retention) becomes like spaghetti and I can no longer unravel what I have done. When this occurs, I do a CMOS reset and start again. Keeping notes on your progress and failures is very helpful.

Perhaps start again. Sorry... I know that is not what you would like to hear. You and I have something in common, we are both fairly new to overclocking. I have found that using a solid methodolgy driven by logic yields the best results.

I am having a hard time believing that no one else has chimed in. There are hundreds of members whose knowledge base and experience outweighs mine by orders of magnitude...

Hello?... guys? you out there?

I know it is a pain, and maybe you don't have a digital camera, but shots of your BIOS will help a lot.
Hi. My voltage in CPU-Z is 1.248. However, I made note of something last night when trying to OC. I had OC'd it to 3 gigs. I ran Orthos for about 8 minutes straight no errors and then bam... reboot! Now I did notice something about my voltage. I had set the VCore to 1.4-1.425 and each time when I oc'd, in windows it said the VCore was only 1.32 but the NB was good at 1.38-1.40. So my question is this. Could it be rebooting because the VCore isn't getting enough voltage? I mean as soon as I went back to stock but left the VCore at teh same 1.4-1.425, it actaully read as 1.38-1.40, but as soon as I OC it only reads at 1.32 and I'm thinking the comp is rebooting as maybe a safety catch because the cpu isn't getting enough voltage (as I said Orthos ran perfect for the 8 minutes my comp was up with no errors so I think the clock itself is OK) Any information or advice about this idea would be greatly appreciated because I am sitll having problems =\\

Also, I will take some shots later (I have to go for now) Again any help would be great! Thanks!

UPDATE!!!!

It has to be my mobo messing up. I stated before that the VCore is 1.32 no matter how high I set it when OCing. Well I just confirmed it. I was in my BIOS and I set the VCORE all the way to 1.5!!!! And it read 1.32!!!!!!!! What is going on? Someone must have an idea what is holding the VCORE back. This is not VDroop. Because no matter how high I set it it remains at 1.32 (unless I don't OC... then it reads the correct voltage) Wll someone please help me?

Syrillian is right. All these people on the forums who OC and no one can help me? Please someone just help me figure this out. What would cause the VCore to hit a brick wall of 1.32 no matter how high I set it when I try to OC? Please please please help. Thank you
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E660, 400*8 at 1.36 volts (after vdroop) EVGA 680i EVGA 7950 GX2 GSkill 2 * 1GB GBHZ 4-4-4-12-2T 2.1 VOLTS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1 80 gig IDE || 1 320 gig SATA Lite-On SHW-1635S Dell 24in 2407 WFP OCZ GamerXtream 700 watt 
Case
Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 Evolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E660, 400*8 at 1.36 volts (after vdroop) EVGA 680i EVGA 7950 GX2 GSkill 2 * 1GB GBHZ 4-4-4-12-2T 2.1 VOLTS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1 80 gig IDE || 1 320 gig SATA Lite-On SHW-1635S Dell 24in 2407 WFP OCZ GamerXtream 700 watt 
Case
Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 Evolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
An update to this whole PIMA. I managed to get it up to 3.3 gigs (9 * 370-375 -- it fluctuates). I had to loosen my ram timings to 5-5-5-12-2t and I dropped the Ram voltage to 2.0. My VCore is still running at 1.33 volts idle and 1.31 volts load. Strange stuff. My NB is at 1.38-1.39 idle/load. Load temps for this (according to CoreTemp because TAT won't work for me) is about 52-58 (depending on the test being run by Orthos). I had it stable at 3 gigs so I decided to try 3.3 gigs. I will report back.

By the way, are those temps acceptable? I turned the heat on in here and closed the door (small room) so they are probably a tad hotter than they might be otherwise. Any info would be great. Thanks
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E660, 400*8 at 1.36 volts (after vdroop) EVGA 680i EVGA 7950 GX2 GSkill 2 * 1GB GBHZ 4-4-4-12-2T 2.1 VOLTS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1 80 gig IDE || 1 320 gig SATA Lite-On SHW-1635S Dell 24in 2407 WFP OCZ GamerXtream 700 watt 
Case
Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 Evolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E660, 400*8 at 1.36 volts (after vdroop) EVGA 680i EVGA 7950 GX2 GSkill 2 * 1GB GBHZ 4-4-4-12-2T 2.1 VOLTS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1 80 gig IDE || 1 320 gig SATA Lite-On SHW-1635S Dell 24in 2407 WFP OCZ GamerXtream 700 watt 
Case
Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 Evolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 18
Considering that you are not using TAT, I would add 4-6 C to the figures. If your numbers are above 60C, I would take it try to lower it.

My core also runs on the warm side, but is stable as a tectonic plate...
...hmm maybe that is not such a great analogy.

Anyhooo, the Core and OC are stable. I don't let the core go above 60C (TAT) for anymore than a few minutes.

I was a little nervous at first, until I discovered others with similar numbers that they considered satisfactory.
Flux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GA-P67A-UD7 GTX 580 2 x 2GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 (OS), Velociraptor (storage) Lite-On W7 64-bit Pro Samsung 275T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Widow Ult. Silverstone DA750 Lian Li T60 R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
Q-Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Flux
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GA-P67A-UD7 GTX 580 2 x 2GB Corsair 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 (OS), Velociraptor (storage) Lite-On W7 64-bit Pro Samsung 275T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Black Widow Ult. Silverstone DA750 Lian Li T60 R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
Q-Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
Considering that you are not using TAT, I would add 4-6 C to the figures. If your numbers are above 60C, I would take it try to lower it.

My core also runs on the warm side, but is stable as a tectonic plate...
...hmm maybe that is not such a great analogy.

Anyhooo, the Core and OC are stable. I don't let the core go above 60C (TAT) for anymore than a few minutes.

I was a little nervous at first, until I discovered others with similar numbers that they considered satisfactory.
Hi, Syrillian. Thanks again for your replies. It is much appreciated. I readjusted a case fan (I had a 120mm fan blowing right on the heatsink and processor and I think it was causing trouble for the heatsink since it was pushing hot airback towards the processor) and got my temp to drop 5 degrees. I hear CoreTemp works just as well as TAT in terms of real temps? And does anyone know why I get an error when trying to run TAT? Something about "enumeration" I don't know. I ran my proc at the 3.333 for 8 hours 15 minutes straight and it went through flawlessly so that must be a good thing. Thanks again Syrillian
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E660, 400*8 at 1.36 volts (after vdroop) EVGA 680i EVGA 7950 GX2 GSkill 2 * 1GB GBHZ 4-4-4-12-2T 2.1 VOLTS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1 80 gig IDE || 1 320 gig SATA Lite-On SHW-1635S Dell 24in 2407 WFP OCZ GamerXtream 700 watt 
Case
Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 Evolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E660, 400*8 at 1.36 volts (after vdroop) EVGA 680i EVGA 7950 GX2 GSkill 2 * 1GB GBHZ 4-4-4-12-2T 2.1 VOLTS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
1 80 gig IDE || 1 320 gig SATA Lite-On SHW-1635S Dell 24in 2407 WFP OCZ GamerXtream 700 watt 
Case
Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 Evolution 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Trouble OCing. Please help