Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › I'm thinking about buying Sager NP7370
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm thinking about buying Sager NP7370 - Page 2

post #11 of 15
I would like to know as well.

I've heard lots of good about clevos, and I liked the one I owned a lot.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 15
xoticpc.com is great for sager as long as there are no XPS services tongue.gif

The official build time is 5-12 business days, but my laptop (NP7330) took 3 days to build and is currently in transit. The product will ship from CA, just an fyi.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatfoodnow View Post

Sager is essentially Clevo. Why do you regret getting it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by identitycrisis View Post

I would like to know as well.

I've heard lots of good about clevos, and I liked the one I owned a lot.
I own my clevo P150HM for about 2 years now and it's been troublesome. At the time it seemed such a great deal, truly what you'd call "bang for a buck". You cannot find similar specs for such a price so I decided to do it. Thinking back I think it was just too good to be true. I also have a friend who has a P170hm who has similar issues.

First thing I noticed with this notebook that cost me 1500$ is that the build quality feels rather cheap. It doesn't feel solid and has a lot of plastic. After two weeks the vibrations from the hard drive started causing a rattling noise which annoyed me a lot. It wasn't a big deal but when you spend this kind of money you will get frustrated, trust me. And yes, I checked whether there were lose screws or something but that wasn't the case. Later on I bought a samsung 840 pro SSD which solved this issue(SSDs are AWESOME).

The main reason I wouldn't recommend clevo notebooks is the cooling solutions. The fans are incredibly noisy and have an obnoxious high pitch when they are running on max. The notebook also overheats very easily; Right out of the box it the GPU got 90°C and above with ambient temps of 20°C which is ridiculous of course.
On hot summer days I get thermal shutdowns. So basically it's like this; It's summer, the weather is nice and I want to play videogames on my GAMING NOTEBOOK and drink a few beers. But nope, I cannot play because I keep getting thermal shutdowns. My friend is also experiencing similar issues with thermal shutdowns(we don't have the same GPU) and if you look at the clevo section on the notebookreviews forum it's filled with threads with questions regarding high temps. Usually it's answered with "that's normal, don't worry about it" (1500$ and this bull**** is called "normal" grrrr).

And it's not like I didn't try to solve these issues. I always make sure that the machine is dust free and I redid thermal paste multiple times with IC diamond (best you can get).I also noticed that the surface of the heatsinks is incredibly rough so I lapped it up which helped a bit.

My solution for this summer:
-Underclocked GPU
-Bought notepal U2
-Play games on low resolution
Regardless I get a few thermal shutdowns on daily basis.mad.gif

I find it ridiculous that I have to result to such solutions even though I spent so much money. So yes, I regret is everyday. Though if I have to be honest I consider the me of 2 years ago quite naive. It's just not very smart to be wanting to play games on a notebook. Desktops FTW!

My opinion: Don't buy a clevo (unless you live on the north pole, lol)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k MSI Z87I Club 3D R9 280x Royalqueen Corsair Veangance 8GB kit 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung EVO 256GB EKWB Supremacy Acetal+Copper CPU block EKWB R9 280x Acetal+Copper fullcover GPU block DDC 3.2 PWM with Aqualis pump/res combo & EKWB ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB PE 240 Radiator EKWB PE 120 Radiator Aerocool DeadSilence 120mm black fan x3 Primochill Acrylic compression fittings & EKWB ... 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate BenQ XL2411T @120hz lightboost Silverstone ST45SF-G 450w Compact Splash #97 
Mouse
Zowie Gear EVO EC2 black 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k MSI Z87I Club 3D R9 280x Royalqueen Corsair Veangance 8GB kit 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung EVO 256GB EKWB Supremacy Acetal+Copper CPU block EKWB R9 280x Acetal+Copper fullcover GPU block DDC 3.2 PWM with Aqualis pump/res combo & EKWB ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB PE 240 Radiator EKWB PE 120 Radiator Aerocool DeadSilence 120mm black fan x3 Primochill Acrylic compression fittings & EKWB ... 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate BenQ XL2411T @120hz lightboost Silverstone ST45SF-G 450w Compact Splash #97 
Mouse
Zowie Gear EVO EC2 black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefner View Post


I own my clevo P150HM for about 2 years now and it's been troublesome. At the time it seemed such a great deal, truly what you'd call "bang for a buck". You cannot find similar specs for such a price so I decided to do it. Thinking back I think it was just too good to be true. I also have a friend who has a P170hm who has similar issues.

First thing I noticed with this notebook that cost me 1500$ is that the build quality feels rather cheap. It doesn't feel solid and has a lot of plastic. After two weeks the vibrations from the hard drive started causing a rattling noise which annoyed me a lot. It wasn't a big deal but when you spend this kind of money you will get frustrated, trust me. And yes, I checked whether there were lose screws or something but that wasn't the case. Later on I bought a samsung 840 pro SSD which solved this issue(SSDs are AWESOME).

The main reason I wouldn't recommend clevo notebooks is the cooling solutions. The fans are incredibly noisy and have an obnoxious high pitch when they are running on max. The notebook also overheats very easily; Right out of the box it the GPU got 90°C and above with ambient temps of 20°C which is ridiculous of course.
On hot summer days I get thermal shutdowns. So basically it's like this; It's summer, the weather is nice and I want to play videogames on my GAMING NOTEBOOK and drink a few beers. But nope, I cannot play because I keep getting thermal shutdowns. My friend is also experiencing similar issues with thermal shutdowns(we don't have the same GPU) and if you look at the clevo section on the notebookreviews forum it's filled with threads with questions regarding high temps. Usually it's answered with "that's normal, don't worry about it" (1500$ and this bull**** is called "normal" grrrr).

And it's not like I didn't try to solve these issues. I always make sure that the machine is dust free and I redid thermal paste multiple times with IC diamond (best you can get).I also noticed that the surface of the heatsinks is incredibly rough so I lapped it up which helped a bit.

My solution for this summer:
-Underclocked GPU
-Bought notepal U2
-Play games on low resolution
Regardless I get a few thermal shutdowns on daily basis.mad.gif

I find it ridiculous that I have to result to such solutions even though I spent so much money. So yes, I regret is everyday. Though if I have to be honest I consider the me of 2 years ago quite naive. It's just not very smart to be wanting to play games on a notebook. Desktops FTW!

My opinion: Don't buy a clevo (unless you live on the north pole, lol)


Those are fair complaints. Did you ever contact sager/xoticpc about it? What were the hardware specs?

I had an np8130 with 560m. I had it over clocked as far as I could get the GPU. And never had any issues with thermals. I also kept it on a notepal u2.

I also have friends who have a 17" sager... Newer then the NP 9170. And the newer model 8130. Neither have top tier gpus so I don't know if it is related to that. I also rarely used the turbo gab mode because of the noise. They do get really loud.

I will agree with the plastic fit the shells. The np8130 definitely didn't feel like an all metal notebook but the 17" my buddy has seemed OK. Though I haven't used it for a very long time.

I know it's kind of annoying. But I found that limiting my fps to 60 has helped keep my notebooks in check temps wise. Though I've never owned something with a 120hz screen or anything where I would want higher frame rates.

That's disappointing that you had so many temperature issues.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by identitycrisis View Post

Those are fair complaints. Did you ever contact sager/xoticpc about it? What were the hardware specs?

I had an np8130 with 560m. I had it over clocked as far as I could get the GPU. And never had any issues with thermals. I also kept it on a notepal u2.

I also have friends who have a 17" sager... Newer then the NP 9170. And the newer model 8130. Neither have top tier gpus so I don't know if it is related to that. I also rarely used the turbo gab mode because of the noise. They do get really loud.

I will agree with the plastic fit the shells. The np8130 definitely didn't feel like an all metal notebook but the 17" my buddy has seemed OK. Though I haven't used it for a very long time.

I know it's kind of annoying. But I found that limiting my fps to 60 has helped keep my notebooks in check temps wise. Though I've never owned something with a 120hz screen or anything where I would want higher frame rates.

That's disappointing that you had so many temperature issues.
Do you have climate control in your home? It's only during the summer when ambient temps are 25°C and up that I start getting thermal shutdowns. I don't have climate control in my home so whatever the temp outside is is inside as well.

I did not buy mine from sager/xoticpc since I am from The Netherlands so I did not contact them. I did contact my reseller and he told me not to worry about it too much which annoyed me a lot. Perhaps it was naive from me to expect perfection but when you spend 1500$... Y'know...

the GPU is HD6990m.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k MSI Z87I Club 3D R9 280x Royalqueen Corsair Veangance 8GB kit 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung EVO 256GB EKWB Supremacy Acetal+Copper CPU block EKWB R9 280x Acetal+Copper fullcover GPU block DDC 3.2 PWM with Aqualis pump/res combo & EKWB ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB PE 240 Radiator EKWB PE 120 Radiator Aerocool DeadSilence 120mm black fan x3 Primochill Acrylic compression fittings & EKWB ... 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate BenQ XL2411T @120hz lightboost Silverstone ST45SF-G 450w Compact Splash #97 
Mouse
Zowie Gear EVO EC2 black 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k MSI Z87I Club 3D R9 280x Royalqueen Corsair Veangance 8GB kit 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung EVO 256GB EKWB Supremacy Acetal+Copper CPU block EKWB R9 280x Acetal+Copper fullcover GPU block DDC 3.2 PWM with Aqualis pump/res combo & EKWB ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB PE 240 Radiator EKWB PE 120 Radiator Aerocool DeadSilence 120mm black fan x3 Primochill Acrylic compression fittings & EKWB ... 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate BenQ XL2411T @120hz lightboost Silverstone ST45SF-G 450w Compact Splash #97 
Mouse
Zowie Gear EVO EC2 black 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › I'm thinking about buying Sager NP7370