Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › When do you estimate to see playable 8K technology on 24'' screens?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When do you estimate to see playable 8K technology on 24'' screens?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
That technology will signify a final milestone in the quest against 'targetted blurring', i.e. antialiasing. It's the point regular 24'' screens won't show aliasing at all from regular distances applying to computer monitors. Sure at 16K there will be even impossible to see aliasing if one stands extremely close to the screen but that's probably diminishing the experience of regular gaming.

I estimate it to be in around 12 to 20 years. Monitors will reach there sooner but it will need the GPU/VRAM power to support it.

It's also possible to never reach it or not reach it soon since we may hit a wall towards the 10nm node of the common silicon era.
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 5
8k playable? I won't play games below 50FPS or so, and prefer 60FPS. I would wager about 20 years with my pickiness, especially for a single GPU computer. Even 4k is not exactly playable on a single GPU currently, it'll probably be 5-10 years before a single GPU can even maintain 60FPS at 4k on 95% of modern games.

I'd also debate if hardware will ever reach that fast until/unless new technology is discovered. They really seem to be struggling with advancement lately, planning massive improvements and then having to scale them way back each generation. The last 3 generation of processors for example are pretty dang close to each other.

Also 8k @ 24 inches? Why? Even with 4k, you will be able to play on a screen nearly the size of your wall and it'll still be insanely sharp. I don't even think you could tell the difference of 4k vs 8k until over 100" or so, and i'd think it'd be minor until about 150". Diminishing returns of even 1440p on 24" are pretty high.
Edited by Murlocke - 8/4/13 at 11:51am
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 EVO 138TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB13-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 EVO 138TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB13-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
I was thinking even at 4K gamers will start not using antialiasting at all, though it may still be needed to go to 2X or 4X before 8K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

I'd also debate if hardware will ever reach that fast until/unless new technology is discovered. They really seem to be struggling with advancement lately, planning massive improvements and then having to scale them way back each generation. The last 3 generation of processors for example are pretty dang close to each other.

I suspect that as well. Towards the 10nm node or lower, I expect to see a wall. They already appear to show signs they are afraid of it. e.g. Intel recently called viewing a 'problem' around 2017 and 7nm onwards.

But new different technologies may save the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

Also 8k @ 24 inches? Why? Even with 4k, you will be able to play on a screen nearly the size of your wall and it'll still be insanely sharp. I don't even think you could tell the difference of 4k vs 8k until over 100" or so, and i'd think it'd be minor until about 150". Diminishing returns of even 1440p on 24" are pretty high.

That's what I thought as well but it turns out that mainly applies to Movies and TV and not gaming from a regular close distance (or of course Designing/CAD software). In regular monitor distances 8K is where it starts disappearing and it may even need 16K but that mainly for more close-up cases.
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post

That's what I thought as well but it turns out that mainly applies to Movies and TV and not gaming from a regular close distance (or of course Designing/CAD software). In regular monitor distances 8K is where it starts disappearing and it may even need 16K but that mainly for more close-up cases.

For PC gaming, I prefer my 55" Sony HX929 (1080p) @ 6 feet over my old 27" Samsung 850D (PLS Panel, 1440p) @ 2 feet... by a lot. So much that I returned the 850D. No monitor can compare with full array local dimming contrast ratio. Granted I'm comparing a $750 monitor to a $3000 TV, but still I don't see myself ever going back to a monitor. My next step will be a 55-65" 4K TV... OLED or not depending on prices in 2-3 years.

I think your going to start seeing a lot more people using TVs as monitors when 4K becomes mainstream. thumb.gif
Edited by Murlocke - 8/4/13 at 12:38pm
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 EVO 138TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB13-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 EVO 138TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB13-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

For PC gaming, I prefer my 55" Sony HX929 (1080p) @ 6 feet over my old 27" Samsung 850D (PLS Panel, 1440p) @ 2 feet... by a lot. So much that I returned the 850D. No monitor can compare with full array local dimming contrast ratio. Granted I'm comparing a $750 monitor to a $3000 TV, but still I don't see myself ever going back to a monitor. My next step will be a 55-65" 4K TV... OLED or not depending on prices in 2-3 years.

I think your going to start seeing a lot more people using TVs as monitors when 4K becomes mainstream. thumb.gif

Oh TVs are fine it's just that I thnk people often don't use a living room at all for gaming so it's usually restricted to some form of a regular desk.
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.6G 1.24v/1.74v, 5.1G 1.35v validation. GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Tri-X R9 290 1100/1350 +0.012v G.Skill 2400 c10 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 24EA53 IPS 76Hz OC EVGA 1000 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
Audio
SoundMagic E10 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › When do you estimate to see playable 8K technology on 24'' screens?