Originally Posted by bfromcolo
Give me a AM3+ upgrade path or don't, tell me what the plan is. Being coy about this will try my patience and push me to Intel, even if the plan is to provide a AM3+ CPU I might want. Comments from AMD in the past indicated Vishera was NOT the end of AM3+, and I can't imagine they were talking about the 9xxx CPUs.
This, I think Steamroller FX is going to happen because many people with an AM3+ board will upgrade. They need every sale they can get to help their bottom line. It just wouldn't make sense not to release a big core chip atm. Either way the design work has largely been done for the APU already. It also makes sense to drop the FX Brand if it really is that big of a upgrade in performance over piledriver.
In the future I wouldn't be surprised to see a consolidation into one platform. FM3 for example, but atm it wouldn't make sense to drop AM3+. I think it's got one more round of chips coming to it. If not, it looks like my Thuban is going to stick around even longer. I thought I would upgrade on bulldozer, then piledriver, but everytime I decided to wait. I've been holding out for steamroller. Hopefully I wont get disappointed.
Edit: IMO, The only reason to cancel or postpone big core chips atm is if Global Foundries cant produce both Kaveri and FX because of yield issues. Without a doubt the APU's will sell better.