Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Linux Gaming › [OFFICIAL] Linux Gamers Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OFFICIAL] Linux Gamers Club - Page 84

post #831 of 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPCbench View Post

Guys, I'm a PC gamer using Windows 7 but I'm considering to switch to Linux

I just have a few questions
1. What software do you use in Linux to check stability of CPU overclock ?

2. In relation to question #1, what is the indicator of an unstable overclock in Linux ? Does Windows' BSOD have an equivalent in Linux ?

3. What is the best Linux distribution for PC gamers who are newbies on Linux ? I found a thread here in OCN and there are recommendations on Mint, Cinnamon, and Ubuntu.

4. Anyone here who is purely gaming on Linux ? What about the games not available on Linux ?

5. For games I bought at Steam / GOG while I was on Windows OS, will the game appear in my library if I switch to Linux or do I have to purchase the Linux version ?

6. If a PC game has a Linux version, will it work on every distribution of Linux ?


Thanks

1. While prime software is available on Linux, you may not find it in your repository (on Debian for example), but you will find 'cpuburn' (apt-get install cpuburn), which will give you a few binaries:
dpkg -L cpuburn (this command lists every file installed by the package 'cpuburn'):

(snip)
/usr/bin/burnBX
/usr/bin/burnK6
/usr/bin/burnK7
/usr/bin/burnMMX
/usr/bin/burnP5
/usr/bin/burnP6
/usr/share/man/man1/cpuburn.1.gz
(snip)

at this point you can type the command 'man cpuburn' and read this:

burnP5 is optimized for Intel Pentium with or without MMX CPUs
burnP6 is optimized for Intel PentiumPro, Pentium II & III CPUs
burnK6 is optimized for AMD K6 CPUs
burnK7 is optimized for AMD Athlon/Duron CPUs
burnMMX tests cache/memory interfaces on all CPUs with MMX
burnBX is an alternate cache/memory test for Intel CPUs

so depending on your CPU you must choose the appropriate binary.

On my PC I first installed sensord (apt-get install sensord lm-sensors)
then typed 'sensors-detect' (as root) and basically always selected 'Yes'.
This will provide temps, voltage readings and fans speed, check them by typing 'sensors', example:

Physical id 0: +39.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0: +36.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1: +36.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2: +36.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3: +35.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
(snip)
in0: +0.89 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +1.74 V)
in1: +1.02 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
in2: +3.34 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
(snip)
fan1: 479 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan2: 376 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan3: 2667 RPM (min = 0 RPM)

Then I installed 'gkrellm' (apt-get install gkrellm) which is a graphical application which pulls data (also) from sensord and provides a ton on info (also supports plugins and skins)
and helps checking the temps of each core. Example: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--zgFLkilH--/18fc5hmm6jnynpng.png
be sure to right-click on the gkrellm title (or press F1 while having the mouse pointer over it) and click on 'Configuration' -> 'Builtins' -> 'CPU'.

Now you are ready for cpuburn but this is a command line application and will use only 1 core.
To fill all your CPU cores, you need to run it more than once.
To do this, you can open many terminals, become root on all of them and run the binary for your CPU (in my case I have an i7-4770K so I type 'burnP6').
A better approach is to use just one terminal, run burnP6, put it in background (ctrl+z) and then resuming the background execution ('bg')
then repeat 8 times.
Take your time to discover the 'bg', 'fg' and ctrl+z commands on the Linux shell, example: http://linuxconfig.org/understanding-foreground-and-background-linux-processes
Finally, if your PC didn't crash and you are satisfied with the result, stop testing by killing (closing) all burnP6 at once with the command: 'killall burnP6'.

2. While the kernel panic can be considered the Linux version of the BSOD, it never occured during my overclocking sessions: my system just freezes and I (quickly) press the reset button.
Beware that cpuburn will put a very high workload on your core: I get 86 C after few seconds of burnP6
while even the most cpu intensive games (GRID Autosport for example) won't pass 66 C (with Nepton 240M + few fans at 100%).

Talking about fans, before starting overclocking you may want to get control of your fans: if you don't like your motherboard / bios profiles, explore the suite 'fancontrol' (apt-get install fancontrol)
which will provide the binary 'pwmconfig', which is a good starting point to calibrate / create a profile.

3. I first tried Gentoo on my main rig but couldn't fix tearing issues. I found my sweet spot with Debian Jessie + Gnome Shell + nvidia official drivers for my gtx980 (overclocked as well)

4. Yes I went 'all-in' with Linux on both my rig and laptop (rog gaming laptop) and never been happier.
For unported games I use Wine! (apt-get install playonlinux) ... not super easy to use but very funny. It takes a while to 'master' but gives awesome results and the process is at times hilarious: while tuning the knobs you see the best artifacts ever.
Check the supported apps here: https://appdb.winehq.org
Currently I'm using Wine for Skyrim (with few textures packs, mods manager, few mods and @2160p resolution), iRacing (G27 wheel working out of the box and can't tell the difference from Windows),
EVE Online (officially supported), Payday, Dirt 3 and Battlefield 2 Bad Company.
Asap I'll test COD MW2 (rated as platinum/gold: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=10600)

5. yes the games will show in your library and you don't need to purchase them again

6. despite popular belief, yes: steam provides a number of libraries which allows nearly 100% of games to run cross-distro.
It may happen that a game requires Java or SDL, just install it.
Anyway this happens less and less (less than 1% based on my experience with 69 installed games: only 1 time I had to install some SDL library)
and consider that indie developers (and steam community) usually supports directly within few hours.

Happy to help AMA.
post #832 of 1020
Casting
Quote:
Originally Posted by facePlanted View Post

1. While prime software is available on Linux, you may not find it in your repository (on Debian for example), but you will find 'cpuburn' (apt-get install cpuburn), which will give you a few binaries:
dpkg -L cpuburn (this command lists every file installed by the package 'cpuburn'):

(snip)
/usr/bin/burnBX
/usr/bin/burnK6
/usr/bin/burnK7
/usr/bin/burnMMX
/usr/bin/burnP5
/usr/bin/burnP6
/usr/share/man/man1/cpuburn.1.gz
(snip)

at this point you can type the command 'man cpuburn' and read this:

burnP5 is optimized for Intel Pentium with or without MMX CPUs
burnP6 is optimized for Intel PentiumPro, Pentium II & III CPUs
burnK6 is optimized for AMD K6 CPUs
burnK7 is optimized for AMD Athlon/Duron CPUs
burnMMX tests cache/memory interfaces on all CPUs with MMX
burnBX is an alternate cache/memory test for Intel CPUs

so depending on your CPU you must choose the appropriate binary.

On my PC I first installed sensord (apt-get install sensord lm-sensors)
then typed 'sensors-detect' (as root) and basically always selected 'Yes'.
This will provide temps, voltage readings and fans speed, check them by typing 'sensors', example:

Physical id 0: +39.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0: +36.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1: +36.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2: +36.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3: +35.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
(snip)
in0: +0.89 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +1.74 V)
in1: +1.02 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
in2: +3.34 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +0.00 V) ALARM
(snip)
fan1: 479 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan2: 376 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan3: 2667 RPM (min = 0 RPM)

Then I installed 'gkrellm' (apt-get install gkrellm) which is a graphical application which pulls data (also) from sensord and provides a ton on info (also supports plugins and skins)
and helps checking the temps of each core. Example: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--zgFLkilH--/18fc5hmm6jnynpng.png
be sure to right-click on the gkrellm title (or press F1 while having the mouse pointer over it) and click on 'Configuration' -> 'Builtins' -> 'CPU'.

Now you are ready for cpuburn but this is a command line application and will use only 1 core.
To fill all your CPU cores, you need to run it more than once.
To do this, you can open many terminals, become root on all of them and run the binary for your CPU (in my case I have an i7-4770K so I type 'burnP6').
A better approach is to use just one terminal, run burnP6, put it in background (ctrl+z) and then resuming the background execution ('bg')
then repeat 8 times.
Take your time to discover the 'bg', 'fg' and ctrl+z commands on the Linux shell, example: http://linuxconfig.org/understanding-foreground-and-background-linux-processes
Finally, if your PC didn't crash and you are satisfied with the result, stop testing by killing (closing) all burnP6 at once with the command: 'killall burnP6'.

2. While the kernel panic can be considered the Linux version of the BSOD, it never occured during my overclocking sessions: my system just freezes and I (quickly) press the reset button.
Beware that cpuburn will put a very high workload on your core: I get 86 C after few seconds of burnP6
while even the most cpu intensive games (GRID Autosport for example) won't pass 66 C (with Nepton 240M + few fans at 100%).

Talking about fans, before starting overclocking you may want to get control of your fans: if you don't like your motherboard / bios profiles, explore the suite 'fancontrol' (apt-get install fancontrol)
which will provide the binary 'pwmconfig', which is a good starting point to calibrate / create a profile.

3. I first tried Gentoo on my main rig but couldn't fix tearing issues. I found my sweet spot with Debian Jessie + Gnome Shell + nvidia official drivers for my gtx980 (overclocked as well)

4. Yes I went 'all-in' with Linux on both my rig and laptop (rog gaming laptop) and never been happier.
For unported games I use Wine! (apt-get install playonlinux) ... not super easy to use but very funny. It takes a while to 'master' but gives awesome results and the process is at times hilarious: while tuning the knobs you see the best artifacts ever.
Check the supported apps here: https://appdb.winehq.org
Currently I'm using Wine for Skyrim (with few textures packs, mods manager, few mods and @2160p resolution), iRacing (G27 wheel working out of the box and can't tell the difference from Windows),
EVE Online (officially supported), Payday, Dirt 3 and Battlefield 2 Bad Company.
Asap I'll test COD MW2 (rated as platinum/gold: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=10600)

5. yes the games will show in your library and you don't need to purchase them again

6. despite popular belief, yes: steam provides a number of libraries which allows nearly 100% of games to run cross-distro.
It may happen that a game requires Java or SDL, just install it.
Anyway this happens less and less (less than 1% based on my experience with 69 installed games: only 1 time I had to install some SDL library)
and consider that indie developers (and steam community) usually supports directly within few hours.

Happy to help AMA.

Speechless, just ridiculously well explained! Plus rep for sure, thank you!
Ryzen Furiously
(19 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Gaming Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Furiously
(19 items)
 
Lappy-top
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Asus PRIME X370-PRO Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO OC+ 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz F4-3... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX300 750GB (Windows 7 Home Premium) Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB (Games) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD DT01ACA200 (Software RAID) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 4 x Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit QNIX QX2710LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero 2108S Brown Switches Cooler Master V1200 Platinum Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar U7 Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Gaming Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 HP Generic nVidia GeForce 9200M GS 4096 MB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB Blu-Ray ROM Manjaro 16.10 stable 15.4" WXGA 1280X800 
Keyboard
Chiclet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #833 of 1020
Allright, why not smile.gif

1. Linux distro being used: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
2. Main games played on Linux: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
3. Level of experience with Linux: Padawan
4. Any questions you might have: Can I join?
5. Steam username: Aurodeus
H97 Desktop
(17 items)
 
7567 Laptop
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4790 ASUS H97-PRO GAMER Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 GV-N970WF3OC-4GD 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WDC WD1002FAEX Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 120 GB Samsung SH-S223C Stock 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Manjaro 17.0.5 Gellivara Windows 10 PRO 64-bit ASUS MS202N Logitech K310 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 iCute 0408SL-5G1-BS Razer Abyssus 1800 Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Sennheiser HD419 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-7300HQ Dell Inspiron 7567 NVIDIA GeForce GTX-1050 Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
Toshiba 1TB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB Win10 Home Win10 Pro 
OSOS
Linux Mint MATE 18.2 Sonya Manjaro 17.0.5 Gellivara 
  hide details  
Reply
H97 Desktop
(17 items)
 
7567 Laptop
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4790 ASUS H97-PRO GAMER Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 GV-N970WF3OC-4GD 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WDC WD1002FAEX Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 120 GB Samsung SH-S223C Stock 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Manjaro 17.0.5 Gellivara Windows 10 PRO 64-bit ASUS MS202N Logitech K310 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 iCute 0408SL-5G1-BS Razer Abyssus 1800 Razer Goliathus Speed 
Audio
Sennheiser HD419 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-7300HQ Dell Inspiron 7567 NVIDIA GeForce GTX-1050 Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
Toshiba 1TB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB Win10 Home Win10 Pro 
OSOS
Linux Mint MATE 18.2 Sonya Manjaro 17.0.5 Gellivara 
  hide details  
Reply
post #834 of 1020
I'm getting poor performance in Dying Light, 35 to 50 FPS only. In Windows 7, I get 70 to 90 FPS

Ubuntu 15.10
GeForce 352.63

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz, Turbo disabled, 1.013 Vcore
Gigabyte GTX 970 ITX

What could be the problem ?

By the way, why is that others here are still using Ubuntu 14 when there is already Ubuntu 15 ? Is it better for Steam games ? Should I change ?

Thanks
Budget Gaming PC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz (1.2 Vcore) Gigabyte Z97-D3H (rev. 1.0) Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB mini-ITX G. Skill Trident X 4GBx2 DDR3 2400 10-12-12-31 ... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 2TB Noctua NH-U12S Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1 Samsung 2233SW 
PowerCaseAudio
Corsair HX620 Antec 300 Edifier M3300SF 
  hide details  
Reply
Budget Gaming PC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz (1.2 Vcore) Gigabyte Z97-D3H (rev. 1.0) Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB mini-ITX G. Skill Trident X 4GBx2 DDR3 2400 10-12-12-31 ... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 2TB Noctua NH-U12S Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1 Samsung 2233SW 
PowerCaseAudio
Corsair HX620 Antec 300 Edifier M3300SF 
  hide details  
Reply
post #835 of 1020
Ubuntu 14.04 is an LTS version, or long term support version. It'll receive updates for 5 years, all releases since only get 6 months. Until Ubuntu 16.04, due in April this year.

Poor performance, could be port quality, but I find that I get about 10fps less in CSGO under Linux using identical video settings, for which I blame the nVidia Linux driver
Little Beast
(12 items)
 
Black 'n' blue II
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4710MQ Nvidia Geforce GTX860M 2GB 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 240Gb Silicon Power S55/S60 SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
1Tb Toshiba HDD 5400rpm Windows 8.1 Linux Mint 18 17.3" LED 1920x1080 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
PCSpecialist Optimus V ST17-860 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Creative HS800 Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 @ 1.25V MSI P55-GD65 Xpertvision Radeon HD4850 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
150Gb Velociraptor & 1Tb WD Caviar Black Opticon Lightscribe DVD-RW DL Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Vista Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hyundai BlueH H224W 22" LCD Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake Purepower RX 550 Galaxy III 
Mouse
Patuoxun optical gaming mouse 3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Beast
(12 items)
 
Black 'n' blue II
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4710MQ Nvidia Geforce GTX860M 2GB 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 240Gb Silicon Power S55/S60 SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
1Tb Toshiba HDD 5400rpm Windows 8.1 Linux Mint 18 17.3" LED 1920x1080 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
PCSpecialist Optimus V ST17-860 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Creative HS800 Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 @ 1.25V MSI P55-GD65 Xpertvision Radeon HD4850 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
150Gb Velociraptor & 1Tb WD Caviar Black Opticon Lightscribe DVD-RW DL Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Vista Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hyundai BlueH H224W 22" LCD Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake Purepower RX 550 Galaxy III 
Mouse
Patuoxun optical gaming mouse 3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #836 of 1020
Can I connect to DOTA 2 players using Windows if I am using Linux ?

Thanks
Budget Gaming PC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz (1.2 Vcore) Gigabyte Z97-D3H (rev. 1.0) Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB mini-ITX G. Skill Trident X 4GBx2 DDR3 2400 10-12-12-31 ... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 2TB Noctua NH-U12S Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1 Samsung 2233SW 
PowerCaseAudio
Corsair HX620 Antec 300 Edifier M3300SF 
  hide details  
Reply
Budget Gaming PC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz (1.2 Vcore) Gigabyte Z97-D3H (rev. 1.0) Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB mini-ITX G. Skill Trident X 4GBx2 DDR3 2400 10-12-12-31 ... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 2TB Noctua NH-U12S Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1 Samsung 2233SW 
PowerCaseAudio
Corsair HX620 Antec 300 Edifier M3300SF 
  hide details  
Reply
post #837 of 1020
I think you can, I believe it has "cross platform multiplayer", according to Steam
Little Beast
(12 items)
 
Black 'n' blue II
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4710MQ Nvidia Geforce GTX860M 2GB 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 240Gb Silicon Power S55/S60 SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
1Tb Toshiba HDD 5400rpm Windows 8.1 Linux Mint 18 17.3" LED 1920x1080 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
PCSpecialist Optimus V ST17-860 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Creative HS800 Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 @ 1.25V MSI P55-GD65 Xpertvision Radeon HD4850 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
150Gb Velociraptor & 1Tb WD Caviar Black Opticon Lightscribe DVD-RW DL Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Vista Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hyundai BlueH H224W 22" LCD Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake Purepower RX 550 Galaxy III 
Mouse
Patuoxun optical gaming mouse 3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Beast
(12 items)
 
Black 'n' blue II
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4710MQ Nvidia Geforce GTX860M 2GB 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 240Gb Silicon Power S55/S60 SSD 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
1Tb Toshiba HDD 5400rpm Windows 8.1 Linux Mint 18 17.3" LED 1920x1080 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
PCSpecialist Optimus V ST17-860 Logitech MX518 Steelseries QcK Creative HS800 Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 860 @ 1.25V MSI P55-GD65 Xpertvision Radeon HD4850 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
150Gb Velociraptor & 1Tb WD Caviar Black Opticon Lightscribe DVD-RW DL Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Vista Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hyundai BlueH H224W 22" LCD Saitek Eclipse II Thermaltake Purepower RX 550 Galaxy III 
Mouse
Patuoxun optical gaming mouse 3200dpi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #838 of 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPCbench View Post

Can I connect to DOTA 2 players using Windows if I am using Linux ?

Thanks
Yep, you definitly can! Just did that yesterday for the first time biggrin.gif

Also Dota 2 performs very nicely on Linux, I didn't notice any performance loss compared to Windows.
PC
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Crosshair VI Hero GTX970 @1492MHz F4-3200C14-8GFX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial MX200 Samsung 850 Evo a few HDD's LG BluRay BH16NS40 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Pro Arch Linux LG W2442PA 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic XG2401 Cherry MX-Board 3.0 Corsair RM850i Fractal Define R5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Roccat Taito OnBoard + Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 Crosshair VI Hero GTX970 @1492MHz F4-3200C14-8GFX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial MX200 Samsung 850 Evo a few HDD's LG BluRay BH16NS40 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 Pro Arch Linux LG W2442PA 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic XG2401 Cherry MX-Board 3.0 Corsair RM850i Fractal Define R5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Roccat Taito OnBoard + Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #839 of 1020
Just downloaded Bound by flame and it crashes after the intro video. Have to reboot the machine. Distro is Arch. Anyone else had similar issue?
post #840 of 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtuning View Post

Just downloaded Bound by flame and it crashes after the intro video. Have to reboot the machine. Distro is Arch. Anyone else had similar issue?

Don't have the game, so I probably won't be able to help much, but are you using open- or closed-source graphics drivers?
SPEAR
(22 items)
 
Laptop #3
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Gigabyte WF3 Radeon R9 270X x2 G.Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120gb (Linux) OCZ Agility 3 120gb (Windows) WD Caviar Black 2tb Hitachi 500gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Sony Optiarc LightScribe LaCie external BluRay writer Antec Kühler H2O 920 + Corsair SP120 P/P Arch Linux + radeonsi + E20 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro (Insider release) ASUS VS238H-V @ 70hz Corsair K90 Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
None CM Storm Recon Altec Lansing ATP3 Creative Aurvana Live! 
OtherOther
Masscool Shin-Etsu G751 ASUS PCE-N10 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4980HQ @ 2.8/4.0GHz Intel Iris Pro 5200 AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2x8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
1TB PCIe SSD OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan 15" @ 2880x1800 
  hide details  
Reply
SPEAR
(22 items)
 
Laptop #3
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Gigabyte WF3 Radeon R9 270X x2 G.Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb @ 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120gb (Linux) OCZ Agility 3 120gb (Windows) WD Caviar Black 2tb Hitachi 500gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Sony Optiarc LightScribe LaCie external BluRay writer Antec Kühler H2O 920 + Corsair SP120 P/P Arch Linux + radeonsi + E20 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro (Insider release) ASUS VS238H-V @ 70hz Corsair K90 Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
None CM Storm Recon Altec Lansing ATP3 Creative Aurvana Live! 
OtherOther
Masscool Shin-Etsu G751 ASUS PCE-N10 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4980HQ @ 2.8/4.0GHz Intel Iris Pro 5200 AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2x8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
1TB PCIe SSD OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan 15" @ 2880x1800 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Linux Gaming › [OFFICIAL] Linux Gamers Club