Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Optical or 3.5mm?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Optical or 3.5mm?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hey sorry,

but what should I use?

My headset has 7.1 virtual surround and uses a hardware mix amp. It has dolby digital as well.

What should I use the optical cable (toslink i think its called) or the regular 3.5mm jacks that go in the onboard audio colours?

sorry for being a noob at this but im not sure which one is a better soloution.
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguitar View Post

Hey sorry,

but what should I use?

My headset has 7.1 virtual surround and uses a hardware mix amp. It has dolby digital as well.

What should I use the optical cable (toslink i think its called) or the regular 3.5mm jacks that go in the onboard audio colours?

sorry for being a noob at this but im not sure which one is a better soloution.

I'm not a complete expert, but my gut tells me you should go with the optical cable. I don't see how you could have 7.1 surround sound being broadcast over one single minijack cable.

Why don't you try them both out to be sure. Turn on a movie and hear what the difference is like.

Hope that helps! smile.gif
RichiRich
(12 items)
 
  
Reply
RichiRich
(12 items)
 
  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichiRichX View Post

I'm not a complete expert, but my gut tells me you should go with the optical cable. I don't see how you could have 7.1 surround sound being broadcast over one single minijack cable.

Why don't you try them both out to be sure. Turn on a movie and hear what the difference is like.

Hope that helps! smile.gif

thanks mate, turned on transformers. Oh my god, the sound is excellent. Optical is the way apparently, sounds much better.

Thanks!
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguitar View Post

thanks mate, turned on transformers. Oh my god, the sound is excellent. Optical is the way apparently, sounds much better.

Thanks!

Great - that's good to hear! (No pun intended ^^) As I thought - I don't think just one 3.5mm cable would have transmitted surround sound.

Glad you figured it out then. thumb.gif

-Rich
RichiRich
(12 items)
 
  
Reply
RichiRich
(12 items)
 
  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichiRichX View Post

Great - that's good to hear! (No pun intended ^^)

haha!thumb.gif
post #6 of 7
Astro a40 with mixamp?
If your optical output has DDL (Dolby Digital Live!), remember to turn it on.

Optical can only transfer 2.0 sound without DTS/DDL encoding.
Silent Hawk
(18 items)
 
Redfenix
(23 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3570K @4,4GHz Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte HD7950 Windforce @1200/1450 2x Corsair Vengeance 4gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1Tb Random LG DVD/RW Antec Kühler H2O 620 (with AC F12 push/pull) 3x AC F12 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
1x Glide Stream Windows 7 Samsung S23A700D Logitech G105 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Super Flower Golden Green Pro 750W Rosewill Blackhawk Asus ROG GX1000 Xonar DG 
AudioOther
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80ohm Xilence Fan Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3570K @4,3GHz Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte HD7950 Windforce @1150/1500 2x Corsair Vengeance 4gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1Tb Random LG DVD/RW Antec Kühler H2O 620 (with AC F12 push/pull) 2x AC F12 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
3x Spectre Pro LED 2x TY-140 Windows 7 Samsung S23A700D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Strider Essential 600W Bitfenix Shinobi (modded) Logitech G400 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries QCK+ Xonar D1 Behringer B3031A Superlux HD-681 EVO 
AudioAudioOther
Objective2 desktop version Hifiman HE-400 Xilence Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Silent Hawk
(18 items)
 
Redfenix
(23 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3570K @4,4GHz Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte HD7950 Windforce @1200/1450 2x Corsair Vengeance 4gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1Tb Random LG DVD/RW Antec Kühler H2O 620 (with AC F12 push/pull) 3x AC F12 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
1x Glide Stream Windows 7 Samsung S23A700D Logitech G105 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Super Flower Golden Green Pro 750W Rosewill Blackhawk Asus ROG GX1000 Xonar DG 
AudioOther
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80ohm Xilence Fan Controller 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3570K @4,3GHz Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte HD7950 Windforce @1150/1500 2x Corsair Vengeance 4gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1Tb Random LG DVD/RW Antec Kühler H2O 620 (with AC F12 push/pull) 2x AC F12 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
3x Spectre Pro LED 2x TY-140 Windows 7 Samsung S23A700D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Strider Essential 600W Bitfenix Shinobi (modded) Logitech G400 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries QCK+ Xonar D1 Behringer B3031A Superlux HD-681 EVO 
AudioAudioOther
Objective2 desktop version Hifiman HE-400 Xilence Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiihokatti View Post

Astro a40 with mixamp?
If your optical output has DDL (Dolby Digital Live!), remember to turn it on.

Optical can only transfer 2.0 sound without DTS/DDL encoding.

Yeah, how'd you know?

Anyway yeah when watching movies and games I do, but I've found when on youtube that turning it off is better as there isn't as much echo-ish
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Optical or 3.5mm?