It was time to get the parts out of the HAF 932, put the motherboard in the TJ07, and start installing the blocks.
I originally bought a reference 7950 when they first came out, after selling my two GTX 480s to a buddy. I later picked up another 7950 for Crossfire.
Being with Nvidia for so many years, it was interesting getting used to the differences between the two camps.
When I was running the first card, in the HAF 932 case, I had messed around with some air cooling tricks, putting a Swiftech heatsink on the pcb, dremelled to fit.
Then I installed an AC Accelero on the card. Temps were better, but certainly no comparison to water:
The cards had similar reference pcbs, and were compatible with most reference 7950 blocks:
I bought two copper EK 7950 blocks, with clear acetal tops, for the cards, along with the backplates.
They fit very well:
After that, I installed the mobo, etc., then the Raystorm cpu block, and the cards:Drain Valve & D5 Pump Modding
I had earlier decided to fit a drain valve using a Bitspower valve to the bottom port of the 480 rad:
This also shows the modded D5 pump caps, I drilled out the wiring holes, fitting grommets for the wires.
I also did a "stealth" mod to the pumps, removing the stickers and the printed-on writing.Fill Port
I was originally hesitant to drill a fill port hole through the top of the Unibody, since it messes with the clean lines of the top.
But when I installed the IandH 225mm res., I decided it would be the best option for filling the res.
There are slimmer fill port fittings available which may look a bit better, but I used a Bitspower pass-through and "slotless" cap:Leak Test
I filled the loop with straight distilled, for the leak test. To which I was greeted with, a leak!
It was coming from an Alphacool 90-degree swivel fitting, attached to the inlet port of the EK D5 pump top.
The leak was at the swivel joint of the fitting, not at the connection.
I drained the loop, re-checked the fitting to see if it was tight enough, and it was. The swivel area of these Alphacool fittings were very loose and sloppy feeling, which is where the faulty one was leaking.
I decided to replace all four of them, with Bitspower fittings. Which meant ordering the fittings, and tearing down the loop, and part of the case to change them.Second Leak Test
When the Bitspower fittings arrived, I replaced the Alphacool fittings, then re-fitted the tubing.
Using distilled again, I fired up the pumps after filling the loop and cycling the fluid through.
Success! No leaks.
I ran it for over 24 hours to be sure there were no leaks, before re-connecting the wiring for the system.Art Deco Faceplate
I then received my latest order from Ricardo at ColdZero.
I had asked him if he could make a custom front panel for me, an eight-slot version, with sufficient air flow for the 240 rad.
But I wanted to do some kind of design for it, not just some holes, or another Murdermod copy.
After giving it much thought, I decided to do something based on the Art Deco style, which I like.
The panel fit like a glove, and I was very pleased with Ricardo's work.
I then installed the other items I ordered from CZ, a set of the "Brick"-style filtered door panel grills:
I felt that the Brick-pattern, from CZ's selection, would best match the front plate.Edited by DerComissar - 4/14/14 at 4:46pm