Overclock.net banner

Trouble in OC land

495 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  CrazyHeaven 
#1 ·
First time oc'er. Read a lot of information and figured it was time to start running test of my own. I ran into a few strange problems.

My motherboard refuses to start windows with a fsb above 400 no matter what the cpu multiplier is. I knew I couldn't do it at 9x due to heat. I wasn't able to do it at 8 or 7x either. Even 6x didn't work. fsb 380 works, just not 400 or more.

Currently my highest stable OC is:
Cpu multiplier 9x
Fsb 350
Ram 1:1 700 5-5-5-12 1.9v recommend
vcore 1.4
vfsb 1.3

Any clue why it's not booting into windows at 400 fsb or above with different modifiers?

My ram is ddr 800 so I thought 400 fsb would be perfect.

#3 ·
Have you got the latest BIOS?

Also, try putting the FSB Termination voltage at its highest rating. And increase the Vdimm to 2.1v

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeking78
View Post

Have you got the latest BIOS?

Also, try putting the FSB Termination voltage at its highest rating. And increase the Vdimm to 2.1v

A new bios was release about a week ago so I went ahead and flashed that.

Highest vfsb is 1.5. I set that. Set my ram to 2.1. And still it doesn't even boot into windows with 400 fsb and 8x multiplier.

#6 ·
By modifier you mean Multiplier, just to clear that up.

The board might just not like 400FSB but I doubt that. Try this:

Vcore - 1.425v
Vfsb - 1.5v
Ram - 2.2v
Divider - 1:1 at Rated timings (4-4-4-12 for C4, 5-5-5-15 for C5)
Mulitplier - Stock (9x)

That will give you 800mhz on the RAM which is fine. How are your temperatures? Is the chipset getting really hot?

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigvaL
View Post

By modifier you mean Multiplier, just to clear that up.

The board might just not like 400FSB but I doubt that. Try this:

Vcore - 1.425v
Vfsb - 1.5v
Ram - 2.2v
Divider - 1:1 at Rated timings (4-4-4-12 for C4, 5-5-5-15 for C5)
Mulitplier - Stock (9x)

That will give you 800mhz on the RAM which is fine. How are your temperatures? Is the chipset getting really hot?

Yea, I meant multiplier

The chipset is actually getting really hot. 46-47c. I've tried a few different things to bring it down with no luck. I finally called asus and the rep I spoke to said his was at 52c and I shouldn't worry unless I'm pushing above 60c with 65c being the die temp.

#8 ·
Yeah 46-47C wont cause physical damage but it wouldn't surprise me if its limiting the amount of FSB you can reach. Have you tried using AS5? Adding a fan might help too. I cant remember if the P5W DH Deluxe has a fan already but I don't think it does.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigvaL View Post
Yeah 46-47C wont cause physical damage but it wouldn't surprise me if its limiting the amount of FSB you can reach. Have you tried using AS5? Adding a fan might help too. I cant remember if the P5W DH Deluxe has a fan already but I don't think it does.
It came with a passive fan that is meant for a passive heatsink or water cooling. Should I try using it with the CNP9500?

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyHeaven View Post
It came with a passive fan that is meant for a passive heatsink or water cooling. Should I try using it with the CNP9500?
That big circular black one? I thought that attached to the mosfet sinks? Either way, if you can fit it then use it.

#11 ·
umm actually if you got the one with the heatpipe arrange ment right, you gotta take that little metal cover piece off that says ASUS on it, its thin copper or aluminum thats kind of stuck to the heatsinc over the NB

its hard to do while in comp but once you take it out its easy to do with a pair of pliers or needlenose guys or something, then if you want put a little fan blowing toward that, itll help alot
LL

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MADMAX22 View Post
umm actually if you got the one with the heatpipe arrange ment right, you gotta take that little metal cover piece off that says ASUS on it, its thin copper or aluminum thats kind of stuck to the heatsinc over the NB

its hard to do while in comp but once you take it out its easy to do with a pair of pliers or needlenose guys or something, then if you want put a little fan blowing toward that, itll help alot
Going to look at that more in the morning. Then head down to the local shop and see if see what type of coolers he has to offer.

Thank you for pointing that out.

@BigvaL, I had no clue how was going to get that fan on. I just knew I was going to try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.