Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Sell my 690 for SLI 770s 4GB?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sell my 690 for SLI 770s 4GB? - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djnardu View Post

I can probably sell my 690 for around $800 which means If I bought two 770s 4GB for $900 I’d probably lose out around $100 for a slightly better upgrade in performance and better VRAM for the future.
Thoughts on what I should do?

If you can get $800 for your 690, you should do it right now without hesitation. Our local Microcenter has at least three open-box 690's with a factory warranty for $699. Prices on 600-series cards, even the 690, are dropping fast due to pressure from AMD 7000-series price reductions and the clear superiority of the GTX 780 vs. GK104 based cards.

The 2GB VRAM per GPU is the primary reason I didn't get a 690 when I built my PC back in December, and ended up going with two 680 4GB cards.

Greg
post #12 of 17
As others have mentioned, a pair of GTX 780's will be more of a significant upgrade (or at least towards the better path, even when opting for a single card for now). Going with 770's will be a major sidegrade. From personal experience, a single 780 is more than capable of delivering excellent performance at 1440p. thumb.gif

To add to the discussion, I will say this: you know it's time to upgrade when every game you play is not performing to your expectations. In my opinion, to upgrade now because one game has issues would not be worth my while.

Furthermore, to upgrade for future games is also not justifiable either for several reasons:

1. We won't know how intense the game actually plays until it is released.
2. It is very possible that initial release performance issues can/will be rectified with future patches/drivers, therefore negating the need for an upgrade.
3. By the time a whole lot of games become overwhelmingly graphics intensive to bring the 690 to its knees, some newer hardware will be out then that may cost the around the same (or significantly less) that you would be spending now.

So for me, if I had a 690, I would hang on to it for a little while longer, unless if the upgrade itch absolutely must be scratched now. biggrin.gif
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 17
I just sold my 690 about a month ago. You will not get $800, especially now with the price cuts on the 7950/7970. Even used 770s are running low $300s each.

Sorry, but I think you will be lucky to get $700.
 
Up to no good
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.7ghz @1.4v (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 @ 2150MHz Corsair Dominator Platinums 2133 cl9 1.5v 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor M5P Extreme SSD 128gb x 2 in Raid0 Corsair H105 Windows 8 Pro DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W 21:9 Curved Ultra Widesc... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Corsair AX1200i Corsair 760T Func MS-2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.2 1.3v Asus Rampage II Extreme EVGA GTX 690 6gb Corsair Dominator 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 256GB 3x Dell 2405 - Eyefinity Logitech G710+ Enermax Revolution 1050W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone FT02 Corsair M60 Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Up to no good
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.7ghz @1.4v (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 @ 2150MHz Corsair Dominator Platinums 2133 cl9 1.5v 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor M5P Extreme SSD 128gb x 2 in Raid0 Corsair H105 Windows 8 Pro DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W 21:9 Curved Ultra Widesc... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Corsair AX1200i Corsair 760T Func MS-2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.2 1.3v Asus Rampage II Extreme EVGA GTX 690 6gb Corsair Dominator 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 256GB 3x Dell 2405 - Eyefinity Logitech G710+ Enermax Revolution 1050W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone FT02 Corsair M60 Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by covert ash View Post

As others have mentioned, a pair of GTX 780's will be more of a significant upgrade (or at least towards the better path, even when opting for a single card for now). Going with 770's will be a major sidegrade. From personal experience, a single 780 is more than capable of delivering excellent performance at 1440p. thumb.gif

To add to the discussion, I will say this: you know it's time to upgrade when every game you play is not performing to your expectations. In my opinion, to upgrade now because one game has issues would not be worth my while.

Furthermore, to upgrade for future games is also not justifiable either for several reasons:

1. We won't know how intense the game actually plays until it is released.
2. It is very possible that initial release performance issues can/will be rectified with future patches/drivers, therefore negating the need for an upgrade.
3. By the time a whole lot of games become overwhelmingly graphics intensive to bring the 690 to its knees, some newer hardware will be out then that may cost the around the same (or significantly less) that you would be spending now.

So for me, if I had a 690, I would hang on to it for a little while longer, unless if the upgrade itch absolutely must be scratched now. biggrin.gif

This!
Nothing more to add.
Simplicity
(11 items)
 
Apotheosis
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Z87 Pro TBD Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 RAM 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro Dell U2713HM Alienware TactX gaming Seasonic 850W Gold  
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF XB Alienware TactX premium mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Simplicity
(11 items)
 
Apotheosis
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Z87 Pro TBD Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 RAM 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro Dell U2713HM Alienware TactX gaming Seasonic 850W Gold  
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF XB Alienware TactX premium mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
Gaming on a single 2560 x 1440 resolution with AA OFF looks as brilliant as 1920 x 1080 resolution with AA ON. Turn AA off and watch your performance go up again and without noticeable difference. Keep in mind anything above 60 FPS is maxed anyway unless you've over clocked your refresh rate on your monitor.

Your choices your contemplating:

GTX 770 SLI just to keep AA ON playing Bioshock Ultra w/ FXAA you'll gain 11 FPS approximately between GTX 770 SLI vs GTX 690. Is the upgrade worth it? Only you can decide that, it's your money.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

GTX 780, until you can afford to SLI it, you will lose 17 FPS approximately and will be a downgrade.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Keep your GTX 690 Turn off AA in Bioshock it will give you much more FPS than you need on single monitor and you really won't see much difference. Come ask this question at the [Official] 1440p and Above Gaming Club (1440p+) about AA, turn it off and see for yourself. Make your own judgement if it's needed.


- Source



In summary, If you can't go GTX 780 SLI up front, then you'll be down grading until the time you put a second 780 in that rig. If your going to make this move, make it when you can afford both at the same time.

My reasoning is to ask yourself: if you do go with one GTX 780...When will you be able to afford another 780 to SLI? If it's not for some time down the road, you would have taken a step back and by the time you do get a second you might be watching others buy Maxwell cards and may kick yourself, though not too hard because a 780 SLI set up will be a great combo still. Your choice to make.

Yes your GTX 690 will go down in price the longer you wait but technically the money you save waiting will have paid itself off if you stay with it as long as you can and prolong it's life by turning AA off. GTX 680's SLI is nothing to sneeze at either right now and it's not like your really choking performance yet with a single monitor.



I'm on a GTX 690 right pushing 2560 x 1440 and the games I play, mostly FPS, are doing great. Crysis 3 with AA off will maintain 60 FPS+. I don't play Skyrim but I see when it's modded will bring most GPU's to it's knees anyway. Turning down settings to buy yourself time might be a good way to hold off. Again up to you and what you really want on a personal level if waiting is OK or you must have extra performance right now. You'll get many opinions here and they all have their reasoning, in the end up to you.

I'm waiting on what AMD has to offer and if it's not enough performance gain, I'm hanging on to Maxwell when I know it will finally be the right time to upgrade. I'll be much more happier than going GTX 780 SLI now when I have a GTX 690. Around April / May 2014 I will be glad I did wait but that's my choice. Next games for me will be Splinter Cell Blacklist and BF4. I'm speculating I'm not going to have any problems with them if AA is OFF even if they are more demanding. Guess it's about what games you play and what you want as a preference which is subjective with everyone.
     
  hide details  
Reply
     
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 17
Without quoting Arizonian's huge post (too bad I can't rep you anymore), he made a very good point that is worth elaborating. If rumors are true and AMD does end up releasing their HD9000 series of cards in October, provided you have the patience to wait, it could theoretically drive down the pricing of 780's so you end up with a better value. Not to mention that if the competition is close, or superior, it could finally inspire Nvidia to start bundling more than one good game to incentivize the deal - much like the stupid crazy great game bundles that AMD has now for the 7950's and 7970's. thumb.gif
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
Sell the card and get a beater GPU until 880s are released? smile.gif
King state
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820k MSI X99A Raider EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW Patriot Viper DDR4 3000MHz (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 500GB Corsair H110i GT Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Asus VG248QE24" 144Hz TN 3D  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2715H 27" 1440P IPS KBC Pok3r III ~CherryMX Red SeaSonic x-750 NZXT S340 ~White 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX5818 SteelSeries Q+ FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 
  hide details  
Reply
King state
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820k MSI X99A Raider EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW Patriot Viper DDR4 3000MHz (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 500GB Corsair H110i GT Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Asus VG248QE24" 144Hz TN 3D  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2715H 27" 1440P IPS KBC Pok3r III ~CherryMX Red SeaSonic x-750 NZXT S340 ~White 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX5818 SteelSeries Q+ FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Sell my 690 for SLI 770s 4GB?