Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › 965BE and 8350 + 990fxa-ud3 : questions about HPC mode and throttling! only have today to figure this out xD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

965BE and 8350 + 990fxa-ud3 : questions about HPC mode and throttling! only have today to figure this out xD - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

Go into the bios, in CPU options or advanced CPU area, or something. IDK, all motherboards are different so just look around. There is a setting called APM or Application Power Management and I just set it to disabled. The CPU will never clock down again. My board also has another area though where I can set thermal and power limits on the CPU and how much it is allowed to have when APM is enabled. I usually set that stuff really high.

Thanks. Problem is I don't have that option. I can take a pic of my bios if you want? Or will the apm show up when I get my 8350 installed?
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by highc1157 View Post

Thanks. Problem is I don't have that option. I can take a pic of my bios if you want? Or will the apm show up when I get my 8350 installed?

Maybe it will show up with the new processor, but maybe it wont. IDK. Every board has its own bios
Gaming
(17 items)
 
Gaming PC
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K AS Rock Z170 Extreme7+ Titan X Pascal G.Skill DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 730 series Intel 730 series Samsung 840 EVO Custom water cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro x64 AMH A399U E-Element mechanical, black switches, Vortex b... EVGA SuperNOVA 750w 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Lian-Li PC-V1000L Redragon M901 LH Labs Pulse X Infinity DAC Custom built balanced tube amp with SS diamond ... 
Audio
Fostex TH-X00 headphones with custom mods 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(17 items)
 
Gaming PC
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K AS Rock Z170 Extreme7+ Titan X Pascal G.Skill DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 730 series Intel 730 series Samsung 840 EVO Custom water cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro x64 AMH A399U E-Element mechanical, black switches, Vortex b... EVGA SuperNOVA 750w 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Lian-Li PC-V1000L Redragon M901 LH Labs Pulse X Infinity DAC Custom built balanced tube amp with SS diamond ... 
Audio
Fostex TH-X00 headphones with custom mods 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

Maybe it will show up with the new processor, but maybe it wont. IDK. Every board has its own bios

NO, NO, NO!!! ASUS boards have the option you are talking about. I have no idea of what it would be called on a Gigabyte board. Due to the fact, I have only used Asus for Motherboards. I hear that Gigabyte is sup[posed to be great boards though. I know that they have just come into the UEFI bios and that is why ASUS leads the industry as far as technology for motherboards.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA... ASUS X99-A LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB... ASUS Radeon R9 390 STRIX-R9390-DC3OC-8GD5-GAMIN... CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DD... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Force LS Series CSSD-F240GBLS 2.5" 240G... Corsair Neutron Series CSSD-N128GB3-BK 2.5" 128... Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB... ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SA... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hydro Series™ H110i GT 280mm Extreme Performanc... Win 10 Pro ASUS ROG MG278Q Black 27" 144 Hz Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboa... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR HXi 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATI... Corsair Graphite Series 760T CC-9011074-WW Whit... Corsair Gaming M65 RGB Laser Gaming Mouse - White Corsair Gaming MM300 Anti-Fray Cloth Gaming Mou... 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Audioengine A2+ Premium Powered Desktop Speaker... Corsair Gaming VOID USB RGB Gaming Headset - White CableMod WideBeam Magnetic LED Strip RGB Kit - ... CableMod C-Series AXi, HXi & RM Cable Kit - Bla... 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA... ASUS X99-A LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB... ASUS Radeon R9 390 STRIX-R9390-DC3OC-8GD5-GAMIN... CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DD... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Force LS Series CSSD-F240GBLS 2.5" 240G... Corsair Neutron Series CSSD-N128GB3-BK 2.5" 128... Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB... ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SA... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hydro Series™ H110i GT 280mm Extreme Performanc... Win 10 Pro ASUS ROG MG278Q Black 27" 144 Hz Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboa... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR HXi 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATI... Corsair Graphite Series 760T CC-9011074-WW Whit... Corsair Gaming M65 RGB Laser Gaming Mouse - White Corsair Gaming MM300 Anti-Fray Cloth Gaming Mou... 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Audioengine A2+ Premium Powered Desktop Speaker... Corsair Gaming VOID USB RGB Gaming Headset - White CableMod WideBeam Magnetic LED Strip RGB Kit - ... CableMod C-Series AXi, HXi & RM Cable Kit - Bla... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshuman View Post

NO, NO, NO!!! ASUS boards have the option you are talking about. I have no idea of what it would be called on a Gigabyte board. Due to the fact, I have only used Asus for Motherboards. I hear that Gigabyte is sup[posed to be great boards though. I know that they have just come into the UEFI bios and that is why ASUS leads the industry as far as technology for motherboards.

Calm down man...
ASUS is not the only one to have the APM option as it is part of AMD's official spec. I did a bit of digging though and it turns out that other people have found that the 990FXA-UD3 revision 3.0 board actually has a lot less options in the bios than its older predecessors. Most likely to differentiate more between tiers. If this is truly the case, it would probably be best to return the board and get something that has all the proper options.

BTW highc1157, you do have cool & quiet disabled too right?
Gaming
(17 items)
 
Gaming PC
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K AS Rock Z170 Extreme7+ Titan X Pascal G.Skill DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 730 series Intel 730 series Samsung 840 EVO Custom water cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro x64 AMH A399U E-Element mechanical, black switches, Vortex b... EVGA SuperNOVA 750w 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Lian-Li PC-V1000L Redragon M901 LH Labs Pulse X Infinity DAC Custom built balanced tube amp with SS diamond ... 
Audio
Fostex TH-X00 headphones with custom mods 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(17 items)
 
Gaming PC
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K AS Rock Z170 Extreme7+ Titan X Pascal G.Skill DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 730 series Intel 730 series Samsung 840 EVO Custom water cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro x64 AMH A399U E-Element mechanical, black switches, Vortex b... EVGA SuperNOVA 750w 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Lian-Li PC-V1000L Redragon M901 LH Labs Pulse X Infinity DAC Custom built balanced tube amp with SS diamond ... 
Audio
Fostex TH-X00 headphones with custom mods 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

Calm down man...
ASUS is not the only one to have the APM option as it is part of AMD's official spec. I did a bit of digging though and it turns out that other people have found that the 990FXA-UD3 revision 3.0 board actually has a lot less options in the bios than its older predecessors. Most likely to differentiate more between tiers. If this is truly the case, it would probably be best to return the board and get something that has all the proper options.

BTW highc1157, you do have cool & quiet disabled too right?

Okay my bad, I just looked up your motherboards manual and you have to go into Advanced CPU Core Features and it will give you the option to enable or disable the option.

& CPU core Control (Note 1)
Allows you to determine whether to manually enable/disable CPU cores. Automatic mode allows the BIOS to
enable all CPU cores (number of cores available depends on the CPU being used). (Default: Automatic mode)
& Core C6 State (Note 1)
Allows you to determine whether to let the CPU enter C6 mode in system halt state. When enabled, the
CPU core frequency will be reduced during system halt state to decrease power consumption. The C6
state is a more enhanced power-saving state than C1. (Default: Enabled)
& HPC Mode (Note 1)
Allows you to determine whether to enable High Performance Computing (HPC) mode for the CPU. Enabled
prevents the CPU frequency from being lowered during system halt state. (Default: Disabled)
& APM (AMD Application Power Management) (Note 1)
Enabled Dynamically monitors the power consumption of the CPU cores and automatically
optimizes the CPU to its best performance level. (Default)
Disabled Disables this function.
& Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) (Note 2)
Allows the BIOS to read the SPD data on XMP memory module(s) to enhance memory performance when
enabled.
Disabled Disables this function. (Default)
Profile1 Uses Profile 1 settings.
Profile2 (Note 2) Uses Profile 2 settings.
& System Memory Multiplier
Allows you to set the system memory multiplier. Auto sets memory multiplier according to memory SPD
data. (Default: Auto)
& Memory Frequency (MHz)
This value is automatically adjusted according to the BCLK Clock Control and System Memory Multiplier
settings.
Edited by Lshuman - 8/14/13 at 5:28pm
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA... ASUS X99-A LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB... ASUS Radeon R9 390 STRIX-R9390-DC3OC-8GD5-GAMIN... CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DD... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Force LS Series CSSD-F240GBLS 2.5" 240G... Corsair Neutron Series CSSD-N128GB3-BK 2.5" 128... Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB... ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SA... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hydro Series™ H110i GT 280mm Extreme Performanc... Win 10 Pro ASUS ROG MG278Q Black 27" 144 Hz Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboa... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR HXi 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATI... Corsair Graphite Series 760T CC-9011074-WW Whit... Corsair Gaming M65 RGB Laser Gaming Mouse - White Corsair Gaming MM300 Anti-Fray Cloth Gaming Mou... 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Audioengine A2+ Premium Powered Desktop Speaker... Corsair Gaming VOID USB RGB Gaming Headset - White CableMod WideBeam Magnetic LED Strip RGB Kit - ... CableMod C-Series AXi, HXi & RM Cable Kit - Bla... 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA... ASUS X99-A LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB... ASUS Radeon R9 390 STRIX-R9390-DC3OC-8GD5-GAMIN... CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DD... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Force LS Series CSSD-F240GBLS 2.5" 240G... Corsair Neutron Series CSSD-N128GB3-BK 2.5" 128... Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB... ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SA... 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hydro Series™ H110i GT 280mm Extreme Performanc... Win 10 Pro ASUS ROG MG278Q Black 27" 144 Hz Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboa... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR HXi 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATI... Corsair Graphite Series 760T CC-9011074-WW Whit... Corsair Gaming M65 RGB Laser Gaming Mouse - White Corsair Gaming MM300 Anti-Fray Cloth Gaming Mou... 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Audioengine A2+ Premium Powered Desktop Speaker... Corsair Gaming VOID USB RGB Gaming Headset - White CableMod WideBeam Magnetic LED Strip RGB Kit - ... CableMod C-Series AXi, HXi & RM Cable Kit - Bla... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 19
Enigma, I am sorry about not agreeing with you on that digital design. I have been overcloking cpu's since the Pentium III days, those being 1999-2000 as far as I remember, and to be honest, anything that isn't in their top tear class from asus, it's a no-go for me. From my experience over the years, I have burnt at least 12 or so asus mobos, and i remember for sure only 3 gigabytes failed on me.

I have really no trust in the digital vrm stuff...for me it's just another thing to go wrong. It is like saying you have a digitally boosted prius and a 1967 mustang. Guess which is better?
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshuman View Post

Okay my bad, I just looked up your motherboards manual and you have to go into Advanced CPU Core Features and it will give you the option to enable or disable the option.

& CPU core Control (Note 1)
Allows you to determine whether to manually enable/disable CPU cores. Automatic mode allows the BIOS to
enable all CPU cores (number of cores available depends on the CPU being used). (Default: Automatic mode)
& Core C6 State (Note 1)
Allows you to determine whether to let the CPU enter C6 mode in system halt state. When enabled, the
CPU core frequency will be reduced during system halt state to decrease power consumption. The C6
state is a more enhanced power-saving state than C1. (Default: Enabled)
& HPC Mode (Note 1)
Allows you to determine whether to enable High Performance Computing (HPC) mode for the CPU. Enabled
prevents the CPU frequency from being lowered during system halt state. (Default: Disabled)
& APM (AMD Application Power Management) (Note 1)
Enabled Dynamically monitors the power consumption of the CPU cores and automatically
optimizes the CPU to its best performance level. (Default)
Disabled Disables this function.
& Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) (Note 2)
Allows the BIOS to read the SPD data on XMP memory module(s) to enhance memory performance when
enabled.
Disabled Disables this function. (Default)
Profile1 Uses Profile 1 settings.
Profile2 (Note 2) Uses Profile 2 settings.
& System Memory Multiplier
Allows you to set the system memory multiplier. Auto sets memory multiplier according to memory SPD
data. (Default: Auto)
& Memory Frequency (MHz)
This value is automatically adjusted according to the BCLK Clock Control and System Memory Multiplier
settings.


Very nice of you to take the time on that post!

Only thing is I don't have all those options in my bios, most I can turn off with my 965BE is CnC and C1E and I am looking at those options in the Advanced cpu features
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by deienache View Post

Enigma, I am sorry about not agreeing with you on that digital design. I have been overcloking cpu's since the Pentium III days, those being 1999-2000 as far as I remember, and to be honest, anything that isn't in their top tear class from asus, it's a no-go for me. From my experience over the years, I have burnt at least 12 or so asus mobos, and i remember for sure only 3 gigabytes failed on me.

I have really no trust in the digital vrm stuff...for me it's just another thing to go wrong. It is like saying you have a digitally boosted prius and a 1967 mustang. Guess which is better?

Wow that sucks to burn out so many boards frown.gif
Oh, and the Mustang obviously biggrin.gif
Gaming
(17 items)
 
Gaming PC
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K AS Rock Z170 Extreme7+ Titan X Pascal G.Skill DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 730 series Intel 730 series Samsung 840 EVO Custom water cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro x64 AMH A399U E-Element mechanical, black switches, Vortex b... EVGA SuperNOVA 750w 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Lian-Li PC-V1000L Redragon M901 LH Labs Pulse X Infinity DAC Custom built balanced tube amp with SS diamond ... 
Audio
Fostex TH-X00 headphones with custom mods 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(17 items)
 
Gaming PC
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K AS Rock Z170 Extreme7+ Titan X Pascal G.Skill DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Intel 730 series Intel 730 series Samsung 840 EVO Custom water cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro x64 AMH A399U E-Element mechanical, black switches, Vortex b... EVGA SuperNOVA 750w 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Lian-Li PC-V1000L Redragon M901 LH Labs Pulse X Infinity DAC Custom built balanced tube amp with SS diamond ... 
Audio
Fostex TH-X00 headphones with custom mods 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

Wow that sucks to burn out so many boards frown.gif
Oh, and the Mustang obviously biggrin.gif

Well, actually that is a preety ok number, considering the burnt cpus too, because there are about 2000 succesfull overclocks i've done since than.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
  • 965BE and 8350 + 990fxa-ud3 : questions about HPC mode and throttling! only have today to figure this out xD
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › 965BE and 8350 + 990fxa-ud3 : questions about HPC mode and throttling! only have today to figure this out xD