Originally Posted by doyll
I had wondered why nobody was using air to leak test.
Looks like you are using about 8psi?
Yeah, the consensus was that 7-8 PSI is more pressure than a loop will ever see under load, yet still safely below what watercooling parts can handle.
On advice from B Negative
and Darlene (IT Diva) who put together a how-to
of sorts, among others, and especially after seeing Luna P burn up a brand new pump
when he fired it up to do his leak-test due to a leak that an air pressure test would have discovered, I decided to put together a way to air pressure test my loops instead of playing Russian Roulette with thousands of dollars of gear by putting down paper towels and crossing my fingers the way I'd always done it before.
I went a simpler / much cheaper route than B Negative or IT Diva suggested though. I spent about $25 in all on a 1/4 NPT threaded Schrader valve
and a 30 PSI gauge
and fitted them into Koolance G 1/4" Male to NPT 1/4" Female adapters
so they can be screwed into any available port in my loop. I use a compressor to pump it up (with a regulator dialed way down so I don't chance adding more than 10 PSI under any circumstances), but any bicycle pump would have worked just as well.Edit:
A heads-up though. Those Koolance adapters suck. It took several tries, and adding more and more teflon tape and torquing it down way more than should have ever been necessary. Seriously! By the time I got them to seal up leak-free @ 10 PSI I was turning them just about as hard as I could with one end in a vice and a long handle wrench on the other, and thought for sure towards the end there that I was going to split open one of the fittings before they would ever seal up, but they eventually did. They are never ever coming apart now though.IT Diva tried to warn me
the threads on those Koolance fittings were junk, but I really didn't want to believe they could be that bad until I got them and found out for myself. I didn't manage to find any other 1/4 NPT to G1/4 adapters though for anywhere near the same price, so I was determined to make them work. The next option for me was going to be to coat the male threads with Gorilla Glue and seal them together. I'm confident that would have worked, but if not then I was going to bite the bullet and spend quite a bit more and order everything to set it up the way IT Diva had suggested doing in the first place. I believe she had mentioned spending ~$100 on her contraption though. Edited by Unicr0nhunter - 1/22/14 at 4:33am