Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [GS] WildStar will be a subscription-based MMO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GS] WildStar will be a subscription-based MMO - Page 3

post #21 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyMcFlych View Post

A monthly fee is a tiny barrier to entry that helps clear out some of the trash players. Those of us who are competent at life don't mind the tiny amount it costs each month.

You say that but I have a House to support and the economy here in Portugal isn't getting any better, plus if for some reason I don't have enough income to pay for the sub, I get a full month without playing a game I already invested a good amount of money into, what you just said just passes has elitist and childish, sry don't want to offend but that is what it looks like.
Ghost
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 - 3570k [4.7GHz] MSI MPower Z77 EVGA GTX 670 [1280MHZ] 2x Corsair Vengeance 4Gb  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x 2Tb WD Caviar Green Corsair H100 [4xBitFenix Specter W] W7 Ultimate 64Bits Crossover 3020MDP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries 6G v2 PowerColor PX 1000W  Dimastech Bench Table Easy 2.5 DUAL Corsair M90 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXeMat X Control 
  hide details  
Reply
Ghost
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 - 3570k [4.7GHz] MSI MPower Z77 EVGA GTX 670 [1280MHZ] 2x Corsair Vengeance 4Gb  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x 2Tb WD Caviar Green Corsair H100 [4xBitFenix Specter W] W7 Ultimate 64Bits Crossover 3020MDP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries 6G v2 PowerColor PX 1000W  Dimastech Bench Table Easy 2.5 DUAL Corsair M90 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXeMat X Control 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyMcFlych View Post

A monthly fee is a tiny barrier to entry that helps clear out some of the trash players. Those of us who are competent at life don't mind the tiny amount it costs each month.


Um wow and eq both disprove your theory of "tiny barrier to entry that helps clear out some of the trash players"
 
4th time
(18 items)
 
3rd time
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ASrock x99 Fatal1ty professional Oubadah Titan X Corsair Vengeance DDR4 CAS 15 32GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD Corsair 110i GTX Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Acer 24 inch IPS 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Acer 24 inch IPS Acer 24 inch IPS Samsung 40 inch Corsair Strafe RGB MX cherry blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000i Corsair Air 540 Corsair M65 RGB  Razer Manticor  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASROCK Fatal1ty p67 EVGA GTX 980 SC 16380 MBMBDDR3-SDRAM (Gskill) 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung HD103SJ x 2 Samsung 850 EVO  Corsair H100i Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Samsung - LN40D550 - 40" LCD TV - 1080p ACER R240HY ACER R240HY ACER R240HY 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
razer black widow Corsair TX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 CM Storm Recon 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 MSI 870S-G54 2 x 6850 HIS IceQ-x 8 Gigabytes Gskill 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB zalman 90mm Windows Ultimate x64 LG 47'  
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 37' E370L  OCZ Modstream 700W Logisys CS888CL 
  hide details  
Reply
 
4th time
(18 items)
 
3rd time
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ASrock x99 Fatal1ty professional Oubadah Titan X Corsair Vengeance DDR4 CAS 15 32GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD Corsair 110i GTX Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Acer 24 inch IPS 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Acer 24 inch IPS Acer 24 inch IPS Samsung 40 inch Corsair Strafe RGB MX cherry blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000i Corsair Air 540 Corsair M65 RGB  Razer Manticor  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASROCK Fatal1ty p67 EVGA GTX 980 SC 16380 MBMBDDR3-SDRAM (Gskill) 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung HD103SJ x 2 Samsung 850 EVO  Corsair H100i Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Samsung - LN40D550 - 40" LCD TV - 1080p ACER R240HY ACER R240HY ACER R240HY 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
razer black widow Corsair TX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 CM Storm Recon 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 MSI 870S-G54 2 x 6850 HIS IceQ-x 8 Gigabytes Gskill 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB zalman 90mm Windows Ultimate x64 LG 47'  
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 37' E370L  OCZ Modstream 700W Logisys CS888CL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post

Um wow and eq both disprove your theory of "tiny barrier to entry that helps clear out some of the trash players"

ti·ny
/ˈtīnē/
Adjective
Very small.

some
/səm/
Adjective
An unspecified amount or number of: "I made some money".
Dink
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 3570K Gigabyte UD3H Sapphire 7950 GSkill Ares 16gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 500GB None Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Crossover 27" 27Q Acer 23" V233H Hanns-G 24" HH241 LG 55" LD520  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine2 DK9008 with Reds Seasonic X750 Gold NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Naos 8200 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Mionix Ensis 320 LR: Focal 726 Sub: HSU VTF15-H Denon AVR1911 
  hide details  
Reply
Dink
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 3570K Gigabyte UD3H Sapphire 7950 GSkill Ares 16gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 500GB None Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Crossover 27" 27Q Acer 23" V233H Hanns-G 24" HH241 LG 55" LD520  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine2 DK9008 with Reds Seasonic X750 Gold NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Naos 8200 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Mionix Ensis 320 LR: Focal 726 Sub: HSU VTF15-H Denon AVR1911 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgame View Post

I dont really care about the subscription fee, because I know I will play it a lot.
The thing that suck is that its hard ton convince friends to come when there is a big barrier. Look at Wow, if you want to start right now, you have to pay the game, buy 4 expansion plus monthly fee and you haven't played yet.
In my experience, subsciption based game tend to give a better support.
Anyway, that subscription based model won't block me to try out Wildstar.


Wow's expansions are frequently on sale for 5 bucks a pop
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 970M 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
Reply
MEGATRON
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ P170-SM-A Nvidia GTX 970M 32GB DDR3L 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Msata 250GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 HGST 1TB Blu-Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
OverCharged Cage fans Windows 8.1 + Virtual Machines Modified 1080P glossy IPS 60hz Stock 
Power
240 Watt Brick 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotFound404 View Post

You say that but I have a House to support and the economy here in Portugal isn't getting any better, plus if for some reason I don't have enough income to pay for the sub, I get a full month without playing a game I already invested a good amount of money into, what you just said just passes has elitist and childish, sry don't want to offend but that is what it looks like.

For that reason they have the ingame purchase of gametime. If you play the game, create your own store and nitch you won't ever have to pay a sub fee.

I've played EVE for about 7 years. I think out of those years I've been a sub player for maybe 2? Max, and that's because poor business deals, market changes effected my ingame cash flow. I currently run 6 accounts in eve. All paid for in 3 days a month...3 days of hard work and I can enjoy the remainder of the month how I see fit. I'm personally very happy with this method, allows players who can figure out the systems to play for free and still receive the benifits of a subscription game.
post #26 of 29
While I know for a fact I won't even bother with this game one thing I know for sure is there is a lot of hype surrounding this game, it's almost sickening. This game will get so much free publicity when it's launched it will save NCSoft perhaps millions in advertising costs. The developers know they can charge a sub for this game because the demand shows it. Most , if not all of my WoW guild mates plan to retire and head to Wildstar because it's seriously WoW2.0. Without blowing out the NDA stuff, the endgame will be for hardcore raiders and the PVP will be balanced for all roles(healers-tanks-damagers). It's taking what's great from all MMO's in the last fifteen years and putting it all into one cohesive package(WoW1.0).

I've seen trailers, I've seen some NDA material thanks to a buddy and some of the other livestream presentations the devs host. And I'm still not touching it with a ten-foot pole because it has the looks of a Nintendo Wii game for 8 year olds. It will be a successful game and make tons of money over the years because there's going to be a huge migration of MMO players to Wildstar.

It is the only MMO I see getting away with a subscription model in the foreseeable future.
Under Development
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 4.4Ghz Z77X-D3H | F16 XFX HD 7870 8GB| Kingston HyperX | 2Ghz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 | 128GB Samsung 840 | 250GB Crucial M4 | 256GB Samsung F3 | 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung F3 | 1TB ASUS Kuhler 620 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
SAMSUNG 245BW Azio MGK1(Kailh blue) Thermaltake TPX-875M Toughpower XT COOLERMASTER ATC 840 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech G700 Yamaha HTR-6030 Pure Acoustics QX-900 
  hide details  
Reply
Under Development
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ivy Bridge 4.4Ghz Z77X-D3H | F16 XFX HD 7870 8GB| Kingston HyperX | 2Ghz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 830 | 128GB Samsung 840 | 250GB Crucial M4 | 256GB Samsung F3 | 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung F3 | 1TB ASUS Kuhler 620 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
SAMSUNG 245BW Azio MGK1(Kailh blue) Thermaltake TPX-875M Toughpower XT COOLERMASTER ATC 840 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech G700 Yamaha HTR-6030 Pure Acoustics QX-900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 29
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxa View Post

I owned and played GW2 and it is not a lasting game by any means. There are 3 Classes Melee/Ranged/Mage and 2 of the 3 play the same so you end up with Ranged and Melee to choose from. Subscription based MMORPGS that lasted relied on players made social structures to be worth playing known as guilds, most MMORPGS today guilds are usually local groups of friends who's flavor of the month happens to be that game then next month a different one and most of the game can be solod up to the end game encounters.
There is an inherent fear of making a MMO game difficult today because major studios need major bucks or the game is considered a failure, so alienating certain demographics from the game by making it difficult or thought provoking is shunned and instead replaced with a do no wrong reward mediocrity type play that is great at first but becomes repetitive and boring after 5 levels.
A new MMORPG that will challenge me and a group of people forced together to survive in a hostile environment is what I am personally looking for, after 13 years of Everquest nothing seems to do it right not even WoW though it was the best attempt since.

post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxa View Post

I owned and played GW2 and it is not a lasting game by any means. There are 3 Classes Melee/Ranged/Mage and 2 of the 3 play the same so you end up with Ranged and Melee to choose from. Subscription based MMORPGS that lasted relied on players made social structures to be worth playing known as guilds, most MMORPGS today guilds are usually local groups of friends who's flavor of the month happens to be that game then next month a different one and most of the game can be solod up to the end game encounters.
There is an inherent fear of making a MMO game difficult today because major studios need major bucks or the game is considered a failure, so alienating certain demographics from the game by making it difficult or thought provoking is shunned and instead replaced with a do no wrong reward mediocrity type play that is great at first but becomes repetitive and boring after 5 levels.
A new MMORPG that will challenge me and a group of people forced together to survive in a hostile environment is what I am personally looking for, after 13 years of Everquest nothing seems to do it right not even WoW though it was the best attempt since.

Same here. I know a lot of people who feel this exact same way. I would be willing to pay a monthly sub forever if a company would finally make a game that offered some challenge and actually required multiplayer outside of a few hours a week in an instanced raid.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdub303 View Post

Same here. I know a lot of people who feel this exact same way. I would be willing to pay a monthly sub forever if a company would finally make a game that offered some challenge and actually required multiplayer outside of a few hours a week in an instanced raid.

Gotta agree as well. I was honestly very excited for GW2. Heck I even have the Steelseries GW2 headset signed by all the devs that attended PAX Prime 2012. But the game was a serious let down. Combat and leveling was to easy. Leveling trade skills posed little challenge, and overall the game didn't have anything going for it except a slightly more challenging dungeon layout.

I was really hoping GW2 was gonna have everything Vanilla WOW had, and some EQ1 elements. But so far Wildstar seems to be heading that directions nicely. Everything from Action combat to owning your own space. Harder raids, and open world events. I'm not a super fan of the art style, but I"m accepting of it so long as the gameplay is solid.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [GS] WildStar will be a subscription-based MMO