Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › 3D Surround Build 5780X1080 ~$2300 or less
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3D Surround Build 5780X1080 ~$2300 or less

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions on a build. I'm looking to build a rig for a friend but his request is to run 3 screens in surround and 3D with 1080P. He's building the rig to be able to handle BF4 and hopefully any games in the next two years on highest settings. What will I need to run this? I'm proposing the following:

Core i7 4770K ~$350
ASUS z87 Sabertooth ~$250
2x EVGA GTX780 ACX ~$1300
PC Power and Cooling MK III 1200W PSU ~$270
NXZT Kraken x40 cpu cooler ~$80

Total: $2250

Already Owns:
4x 4GB DDR3 2000 Ram
Crucial 256GB C300 SSD
3X 3D 1080P monitors
Cool Master HAF X case
LG BD-R

Let me know what you guys think.
Edited by renkenkyo - 8/19/13 at 9:42am
post #2 of 6
You didn't list what case he has which would matter for the type of cooler,but the PSU is a waste, the max you're going to need is a good 750W.

A 4670k would be fine for the build unless he really needs hyper threading (of which games don't use) and going with reference style coolers is much better for SLI as you don't run into two GPUs exhausting into the case and heating each other up.
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

You didn't list what case he has which would matter for the type of cooler,but the PSU is a waste, the max you're going to need is a good 750W.

A 4670k would be fine for the build unless he really needs hyper threading (of which games don't use) and going with reference style coolers is much better for SLI as you don't run into two GPUs exhausting into the case and heating each other up.

Noted: updated the post, Cool Master HAF X.

As for the PSU, I was looking at the load Wattage draw for the 780's and it seems to be around ~410W so with 2x I'd assume I'd need at least 1000W for some head room. Any suggestions?

The Asus z87 sabertooth has a gap between the two PCIe lanes so there should be some room for airflow but that's a good point. Any cards recommended for SLI?
post #4 of 6
For $2300 or less, it should look more like this:

Motherboard: Intel Core i7-3930K - $525 @ Amazon.com

CPU: ASRock X79 Extreme6 - $219.99 @ Newegg.com

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i - $74.99 @ Newegg.com

PSU: Lepa G 1000W - $150 @ Amazon.com

GPU(S): PowerColor AX7990 Radeon HD 7990 x 2 - $1398 @ Newegg.com

Total: $2367.98

smile.gif
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

For $2300 or less, it should look more like this:

Motherboard: Intel Core i7-3930K - $525 @ Amazon.com

CPU: ASRock X79 Extreme6 - $219.99 @ Newegg.com

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i - $74.99 @ Newegg.com

PSU: Lepa G 1000W - $150 @ Amazon.com

GPU(S): PowerColor AX7990 Radeon HD 7990 x 2 - $1398 @ Newegg.com

Total: $2367.98

smile.gif

I actually recommended 7970's because bang for the buck it's definitely way better. Not sure if they fixed the micro-stuttering issue though. The second thing would be 3D as he's using the Nvidia 3D glasses so unless AMD's made more progress on that, it might be a no go frown.gif.
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by renkenkyo View Post

I actually recommended 7970's because bang for the buck it's definitely way better. Not sure if they fixed the micro-stuttering issue though. The second thing would be 3D as he's using the Nvidia 3D glasses so unless AMD's made more progress on that, it might be a no go frown.gif.

They released their fixed micro-stutter drivers and frame latency drivers about a week ago. Crossfire is as good as SLI now, otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it. If he has to go with nVidia then guess there's really no arguing that SLI 780's would be best option.

Although, AMD does have 3D. It's called TriDef 3D and their surround setup is called Eyefinity.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-hd3d/pages/how-it-works.aspx
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › 3D Surround Build 5780X1080 ~$2300 or less