Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Need your opinion on this
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need your opinion on this - Page 3

post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMbi2004 View Post

Not having investigated the subject, I seam to remember that they use a specially heavy freshwater for the reactor itself.. and run it through a cooler unit that is cooled by saltwater (or what ever is available at that particular plant) and yea.. that saltwater(or what ever) will be the vapor you see from the cooling towers smile.gif
Not sure, heh.

Funny subject wink.gif

Click on the link from my previous post.

It has a reaction chamber, connected to a heat exchanger that heats a basin of distilled water, which is converted to steam. The steam then drives some rather powerful turbines creating power. Then the cooling chamber cools aforementioned water back down to a liquid temp. Then the cycle repeats.

It always makes me laugh to think a nuclear reactor is just an over-sized steam engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7hree View Post

Any specifics of vinegar, or any will do for cleaning?


Any and all vinegar will work fine. Vinegar is actually 8% acetic acid, 90% water, and 2% organic bi-products of it's fermentation. Distilled vinegar, and all those fancy cooking vinegars just have a lower amount of organic bi-products making it better for such applications where picky eaters need the best of taste.
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 28
Well damn I think we found Mr.Spock !!! biggrin.gif
My System
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair V Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 
RAMRAMRAMRAM
G.Skill G.Skill G.Skill G.Skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Sol... Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 720... SONY Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 8X DVD+R 5X DVD-RA... Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP LED Black 27" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LED BackLi... Logitech G510 Black 18 Function Keys USB Wired ... SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V ... XSPC H1 Hive Series Cube Enthusiast Water Cooli... 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel... Ozone Gaming Gear GROUND LEVEL L Gaming Mouse Pad Cooler Master Circumaural Storm Sirus Headset -... XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir - w/ Alphacool VP... 
OtherOtherOtherOther
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir - w/ Alphacool VP... XSPC EX360 Triple 120mm Low Profile Split Fin R... XSPC EX360 Triple 120mm Low Profile Split Fin R... XSPC EX360 Triple 120mm Low Profile Split Fin R... 
OtherOtherOther
XSPC EX360 Triple 120mm Low Profile Split Fin R... EK ASUS Crosshair V Full Board Cooling Block Ki... EK Supreme HF Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Bloc... 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Crosshair V Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 
RAMRAMRAMRAM
G.Skill G.Skill G.Skill G.Skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Sol... Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 720... SONY Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 8X DVD+R 5X DVD-RA... Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP LED Black 27" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LED BackLi... Logitech G510 Black 18 Function Keys USB Wired ... SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V ... XSPC H1 Hive Series Cube Enthusiast Water Cooli... 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel... Ozone Gaming Gear GROUND LEVEL L Gaming Mouse Pad Cooler Master Circumaural Storm Sirus Headset -... XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir - w/ Alphacool VP... 
OtherOtherOtherOther
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir - w/ Alphacool VP... XSPC EX360 Triple 120mm Low Profile Split Fin R... XSPC EX360 Triple 120mm Low Profile Split Fin R... XSPC EX360 Triple 120mm Low Profile Split Fin R... 
OtherOtherOther
XSPC EX360 Triple 120mm Low Profile Split Fin R... EK ASUS Crosshair V Full Board Cooling Block Ki... EK Supreme HF Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Bloc... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMbi2004 View Post

Not having investigated the subject, I seam to remember that they use a specially heavy freshwater for the reactor itself.. and run it through a cooler unit that is cooled by saltwater (or what ever is available at that particular plant) and yea.. that saltwater(or what ever) will be the vapor you see from the cooling towers smile.gif
Not sure, heh.

Funny subject wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

Click on the link from my previous post.

It has a reaction chamber, connected to a heat exchanger that heats a basin of distilled water, which is converted to steam. The steam then drives some rather powerful turbines creating power. Then the cooling chamber cools aforementioned water back down to a liquid temp. Then the cycle repeats.

It always makes me laugh to think a nuclear reactor is just an over-sized steam engine.
OK just because we're already going full nerd here... biggrin.gif

The diagram seems to show a pressurized water reactor, which acccording to the wikipedia article, is the most common reactor type in the USA. It's at root a three-stage cooling loop and regular "light" water is used for all three stages. If you look closely at the diagram, you can see all three loops. The inner reactor loop is green; the secondary turbine loop is orange and white; and the tertiary cooling loop that gives off steam in the giant cooling towers is blue.

Pure watercooling at its greatest thumb.gif
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by threephi View Post


OK just because we're already going full nerd here... biggrin.gif

The diagram seems to show a pressurized water reactor, which acccording to the wikipedia article, is the most common reactor type in the USA. It's at root a three-stage cooling loop and regular "light" water is used for all three stages. If you look closely at the diagram, you can see all three loops. The inner reactor loop is green; the secondary turbine loop is orange and white; and the tertiary cooling loop that gives off steam in the giant cooling towers is blue.

Pure watercooling at its greatest thumb.gif

^^ thumb.gif
 
My Old Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell i5 4670K @ 4.6GHz MSI Z87-GD65 Gamer EVGA GTX780 SC ACX + XSPC Razor Corsair Dominator 2 x 8 GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Series 120 GB Samsung 840Pro Series 256 GB Custom Loop (See Build Log) Win7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G710+ Corsair AX760 CoolerMaster HAF XB 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Func 1030XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Core 2 Quad 65nm MSI P35 Platinum XFX GTX275 Core Edition OcZ Dual ch PC6400 4GB kit 
Hard DriveOSPower
1TB Sata 2 Windows 7, Ultimate - 64 bit TT Toughpower 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
 
My Old Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell i5 4670K @ 4.6GHz MSI Z87-GD65 Gamer EVGA GTX780 SC ACX + XSPC Razor Corsair Dominator 2 x 8 GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Series 120 GB Samsung 840Pro Series 256 GB Custom Loop (See Build Log) Win7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G710+ Corsair AX760 CoolerMaster HAF XB 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Func 1030XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Core 2 Quad 65nm MSI P35 Platinum XFX GTX275 Core Edition OcZ Dual ch PC6400 4GB kit 
Hard DriveOSPower
1TB Sata 2 Windows 7, Ultimate - 64 bit TT Toughpower 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

Any and all vinegar will work fine. Vinegar is actually 8% acetic acid, 90% water, and 2% organic bi-products of it's fermentation. Distilled vinegar, and all those fancy cooking vinegars just have a lower amount of organic bi-products making it better for such applications where picky eaters need the best of taste.

Agreed with all that but I personally wouldn't use anything except distilled white vinegar. The extra organics are just potential residue that could stain your components.

Avoid the cooking or salad vinegar in the expensive, tiny glass bottles and head for the laundry soap aisle. The price is around 1/10th for the exact same thing.
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by threephi View Post

Agreed with all that but I personally wouldn't use anything except distilled white vinegar. The extra organics are just potential residue that could stain your components.

Avoid the cooking or salad vinegar in the expensive, tiny glass bottles and head for the laundry soap aisle. The price is around 1/10th for the exact same thing.


The extra organic particles wouldn't be able to create residue. Acid will always try to break bonds, and a base (Alkaline) will usually try to deposit material (create bonds) Since acetic acid is indeed an acid the extra particles would not be able to deposit themselves in the loop. Even if they were able too they would immediately start to be burned off. Acetic acid is pretty potent stuff. Any concentration above 80% can burn through human tissue. Pure acetic acid is also highly flammable, and it's flash point is 40celcius. So if you pour some one someones face, then throw a match at them there will be acid burning through their face, as well as fire burning through their face.

Yup... That's what you're using to clean your loop. XD

Anyways, I respect the over caution, but acetic acid is pretty potent stuff.
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 28
The generic household vinegar I use is a 5% solution of acetic acid, and I always dilute that further at least three or four to one when I rinse or wipe components with it, and even at that weakness it can still cause damage. I find it astonishing whenever I read here the occasional story about someone running their loop with vinegar. doh.gif

You're probably right about colored vinegar likely not causing any stains but why take that chance? Especially when distilled white vinegar is by far the cheapest.
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by threephi View Post

The generic household vinegar I use is a 5% solution of acetic acid, and I always dilute that further at least three or four to one when I rinse or wipe components with it, and even at that weakness it can still cause damage. I find it astonishing whenever I read here the occasional story about someone running their loop with vinegar. doh.gif

You're probably right about colored vinegar likely not causing any stains but why take that chance? Especially when distilled white vinegar is by far the cheapest.

Interestingly enough vinegar is no more corrosive than water in most situations.

Every "horror story" I've seen about vinegar was either due to leaving it in a loop for prolonged periods of time, or people having mixed metals in their loop, more specifically nickle plating.

So in theory it should be safe to use. It's also possible to dip your hand in water, then tip it in molten lead, and the water will vaporize and expand creating a insulating ever expanding layer of steam on your hand keeping your hand safe from any burns for a time.

The moral of the story? Just because the science is there doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise caution. biggrin.gif


Edit: HA, I'VE SPENT HOURS LOOKING FOR THAT DAMN CHART, AND I FINALLY FOUND THE LITTLE BASTARD!!!
(Note: Not all hours were from today!)

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metal-corrosion-resistance-d_491.html

There ya go!
Edited by ZytheEKS - 8/21/13 at 8:27pm
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Need your opinion on this