Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › [SOLVED] How to choose a quiet and adequate cooler for i7 4770k Haswell build?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[SOLVED] How to choose a quiet and adequate cooler for i7 4770k Haswell build? - Page 4

post #31 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepor View Post

You will be able to control a 3-pin fan. There's an option in the BIOS about using PWM or voltage to control the CPU fan. If it's on PWM, it will send a speed signal over the fourth pin and you will need a 4-pin fan. If you put it on voltage, the board will reduce the 12v to reduce fan speed and it will be able to control 3-pin fans.

That special edition you're thinking of has slower fans. It might be annoying not to have the full speed fans for those rare 30c hot summer days. It could also be useful for experiments when overclocking, using stress tests like prime95.

Sweeeeet. thanks ! biggrin.gif It's the PCGH edition, I guess its quieter but has less cooling power?
What about the other fans, can you select the voltage mode individually for each fan controller? My case fans are all 3-pin.
Problem child
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k 4.6GHz@1.300v Z87X-UD3H XFX R9 290/290X + ACX3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingMonitor
Samsung 840 PRO Thermalright Macho HR-02 Rev. A 4x bequiet! ShadowWings 1LS Benq XL2411T 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic G550 Bitfenix Shinobi Razer Deathadder 2013 Asus Xonar Essence STX 
Audio
AKG K701 
  hide details  
Reply
Problem child
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k 4.6GHz@1.300v Z87X-UD3H XFX R9 290/290X + ACX3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingMonitor
Samsung 840 PRO Thermalright Macho HR-02 Rev. A 4x bequiet! ShadowWings 1LS Benq XL2411T 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic G550 Bitfenix Shinobi Razer Deathadder 2013 Asus Xonar Essence STX 
Audio
AKG K701 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero2013 View Post


Thanks for the concern,
I've spoken to someone on another forum who actually installed the HR-02 in a Bitfenix Shinobi case. So I'll go for that one, we have a right to return online purchases within 2 weeks just in case smile.gif
But one problem I have is, I wanna go for a special edition of the HR-02 with a 3-pin Molex connector. Is it going to work with my Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H mainboard? Afaik the standard is 4-pin PWM....

AFAIK all HR-02 Macho SE (Special Edition) have TY-145 fan which is PWM. TY-145 is basically a TY-141 in black/white
Regular HR-02 Macho has TY-140 fan; also PWM

There is also a TY-147 black/white version of TY-140 and a 130cfm/2500rpm red/orange TY-143, but that's another story. wink.gif
post #33 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

AFAIK all HR-02 Macho SE (Special Edition) have TY-145 fan which is PWM. TY-145 is basically a TY-141 in black/white
Regular HR-02 Macho has TY-140 fan; also PWM

There is also a TY-147 black/white version of TY-140 and a 130cfm/2500rpm red/orange TY-143, but that's another story. wink.gif

That's quite a range smile.gif The special edition I was talking about uses a TY-142. It reduces noise to 15dBa but goes down to 800revs/min.
Problem child
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k 4.6GHz@1.300v Z87X-UD3H XFX R9 290/290X + ACX3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingMonitor
Samsung 840 PRO Thermalright Macho HR-02 Rev. A 4x bequiet! ShadowWings 1LS Benq XL2411T 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic G550 Bitfenix Shinobi Razer Deathadder 2013 Asus Xonar Essence STX 
Audio
AKG K701 
  hide details  
Reply
Problem child
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k 4.6GHz@1.300v Z87X-UD3H XFX R9 290/290X + ACX3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingMonitor
Samsung 840 PRO Thermalright Macho HR-02 Rev. A 4x bequiet! ShadowWings 1LS Benq XL2411T 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic G550 Bitfenix Shinobi Razer Deathadder 2013 Asus Xonar Essence STX 
Audio
AKG K701 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero2013 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepor View Post

You will be able to control a 3-pin fan. There's an option in the BIOS about using PWM or voltage to control the CPU fan. If it's on PWM, it will send a speed signal over the fourth pin and you will need a 4-pin fan. If you put it on voltage, the board will reduce the 12v to reduce fan speed and it will be able to control 3-pin fans.

That special edition you're thinking of has slower fans. It might be annoying not to have the full speed fans for those rare 30c hot summer days. It could also be useful for experiments when overclocking, using stress tests like prime95.

Sweeeeet. thanks ! biggrin.gif It's the PCGH edition, I guess its quieter but has less cooling power?
What about the other fans, can you select the voltage mode individually for each fan controller? My case fans are all 3-pin.

You have to research in the manual. I have some Z77 board from Gigabyte, and it can't do as much as I'd like it to do, but your future Z87 might be better.

My board can control 3-pin on the CPU_FAN header and SYS_FAN1. The other fan headers can only do 4-pin. The manual mentions this in the section "internal connectors". If it mentions "Speed Control" only on pin number four, it won't control 3-pin on that header. If it has "Speed Control" on pin number two (the 12v pin), it will be able to control 3-pin.

If I use SpeedFan, I can't control each fan header separately on my board. The system fan headers are all tied together and can only run at the same speed. This was a lot better on some ASRock board I had. On that one, SpeedFan could control all headers separately.

If you have several 3-pin fans, I guess you could use y-cables and put them all on SYS_FAN1 if it's like my board. I don't know if that is too much power use for the fan header.

About that PCGH edition... I really don't see the use of it. The 4-pin fans on the normal version will be just as quiet if they run at the same speed and you control that in software.

(edit:) I just looked it up and you are right about it being more quiet... The lowest speed on the normal fans is higher than what the fans of the PCGH edition run at. I guess you could try to experiment with voltage control if you want to see if the normal fan can still run slower than its lowest PWM speed.

Also... the PCGH edition fan seems to use the ball bearing from the TY-141. The normal version is TY-140 which is supposed to have some more noise.
Edited by deepor - 8/26/13 at 7:10am
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero2013 View Post


Thanks for the concern,
I've spoken to someone on another forum who actually installed the HR-02 in a Bitfenix Shinobi case. So I'll go for that one, we have a right to return online purchases within 2 weeks just in case smile.gif
But one problem I have is, I wanna go for a special edition of the HR-02 with a 3-pin Molex connector. Is it going to work with my Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H mainboard? Afaik the standard is 4-pin PWM....

AFAIK all HR-02 Macho SE (Special Edition) have TY-145 fan which is PWM. TY-145 is basically a TY-141 in black/white
Regular HR-02 Macho has TY-140 fan; also PWM

There is also a TY-147 black/white version of TY-140 and a 130cfm/2500rpm red/orange TY-143, but that's another story. wink.gif

There's a weird extra special edition in Germany. It has completely black fans and the logo of some German PC magazine on it. The fans are not PWM and are low speed.
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepor View Post

There's an option in the BIOS about using PWM or voltage to control the CPU fan.

Thanks for the correction.

Gero2013, according to the manual there are four headers that allow it: SYS_FAN 1/2/3 and CPU_OPT.

In regard to the cooler, since the TY-140 is already "quite silent" at full speed, while providing better temperatures, I would get the normal version of it, and control the fan by software whenever I wanted to reduce its noise.
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepor View Post

There's a weird extra special edition in Germany. It has completely black fans and the logo of some German PC magazine on it. The fans are not PWM and are low speed.
Thanks! Found it!thumb.gif

Same fan design as TY-141/145 but no PWM and only 800rpm.... costs more than Macho HR-2 with TY-141/145.

I have TY-140 (EHFB) and TY-143 (ball-bearing), both will idle down to 650rpm on PWM... and I can't hear them running 50cm away me at 750rpm even when mounted on cooler.
post #38 of 49
I have had very good experience with HR02 Macho and TY140/TY147, but i just bought a TY150, and i really liked the tone of the fan and it drops down even more than Ty140, around 510rpm is the lowest i have been able to. I hope thermalright releases the HR22 soon with it.
GameMi
(14 items)
 
ServeMi
(15 items)
 
MiniMi
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230 SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O Matrox G200eW Kingston 4GB ECC DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
8x Hitachi 5K3000 2TB + 6x Samsung HD154UI 1.5TB Thermalright AXP-140 WHSv1 Antec CP-850 
CaseOther
Antec 1200 + 4x Cooler Master 4 in 3 2x Intel SASUC8I 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3-2100T Intel DH61DLB3 Intel HD2000 Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB DDR1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Hitachi 5K500B Thermalright HR02 Windows 7 HP picoPSU 150XT 
Case
Lian Li Q08 
  hide details  
Reply
GameMi
(14 items)
 
ServeMi
(15 items)
 
MiniMi
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230 SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O Matrox G200eW Kingston 4GB ECC DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
8x Hitachi 5K3000 2TB + 6x Samsung HD154UI 1.5TB Thermalright AXP-140 WHSv1 Antec CP-850 
CaseOther
Antec 1200 + 4x Cooler Master 4 in 3 2x Intel SASUC8I 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i3-2100T Intel DH61DLB3 Intel HD2000 Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB DDR1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Hitachi 5K500B Thermalright HR02 Windows 7 HP picoPSU 150XT 
Case
Lian Li Q08 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepor View Post

You have to research in the manual. I have some Z77 board from Gigabyte, and it can't do as much as I'd like it to do, but your future Z87 might be better.

My board can control 3-pin on the CPU_FAN header and SYS_FAN1. The other fan headers can only do 4-pin. The manual mentions this in the section "internal connectors". If it mentions "Speed Control" only on pin number four, it won't control 3-pin on that header. If it has "Speed Control" on pin number two (the 12v pin), it will be able to control 3-pin.

If I use SpeedFan, I can't control each fan header separately on my board. The system fan headers are all tied together and can only run at the same speed. This was a lot better on some ASRock board I had. On that one, SpeedFan could control all headers separately.

If you have several 3-pin fans, I guess you could use y-cables and put them all on SYS_FAN1 if it's like my board. I don't know if that is too much power use for the fan header.

About that PCGH edition... I really don't see the use of it. The 4-pin fans on the normal version will be just as quiet if they run at the same speed and you control that in software.

(edit:) I just looked it up and you are right about it being more quiet... The lowest speed on the normal fans is higher than what the fans of the PCGH edition run at. I guess you could try to experiment with voltage control if you want to see if the normal fan can still run slower than its lowest PWM speed.

Also... the PCGH edition fan seems to use the ball bearing from the TY-141. The normal version is TY-140 which is supposed to have some more noise.

Thanks for the tip, yeah I checked the manual it's all there 2 CPU fans and 3 system fans can do PWM and Voltage!
Yeah I think Ill go for the normal version!
Problem child
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k 4.6GHz@1.300v Z87X-UD3H XFX R9 290/290X + ACX3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingMonitor
Samsung 840 PRO Thermalright Macho HR-02 Rev. A 4x bequiet! ShadowWings 1LS Benq XL2411T 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic G550 Bitfenix Shinobi Razer Deathadder 2013 Asus Xonar Essence STX 
Audio
AKG K701 
  hide details  
Reply
Problem child
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770k 4.6GHz@1.300v Z87X-UD3H XFX R9 290/290X + ACX3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingMonitor
Samsung 840 PRO Thermalright Macho HR-02 Rev. A 4x bequiet! ShadowWings 1LS Benq XL2411T 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic G550 Bitfenix Shinobi Razer Deathadder 2013 Asus Xonar Essence STX 
Audio
AKG K701 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero2013 View Post

Thanks! Ill check it out! What are you mining?
Problem is his thread is messed up.
TBH get a Deepcool Gamerstorm from Amazon for 37$ and be done with it
Ayase Eli
(20 items)
 
Testbench
(10 items)
 
MC Server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock X370 SLI Killer Zotac GTX1070 "FE" with ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Crucial BallistiX Sport LP 16GB 8x2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Zotac SSD Premium 480GB OCZ Vector 180 480GB Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 7200rpm ID Cooling Frostflow 240L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Phanteks F140MP x2 CoolerMaster Silencio FP120 x2 Phanteks F140SP 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Delta AFB1212SH x2 Dell U2713HM CM Storm MECH FSP Aurum PT 1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G102 Tesoro Aegis X3 Virtus.Pro AKG K7XX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 Depends Depends 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
Plextor M5S Depends Dell U2312HM CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i 
PowerMouse
FSP Aurum PT 1200 CM Storm Mizar 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600 4GHz Gigabyte Z77X D3H Intel HD Graphics 2000 obviously Kingston HyperX Genesis 4X4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Intel 530 240GB Deepcool Captain 240 Arctic Cooling Bionix 140 Delta AFB1212L 
OSPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro CoolerMaster G750M NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
Ayase Eli
(20 items)
 
Testbench
(10 items)
 
MC Server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock X370 SLI Killer Zotac GTX1070 "FE" with ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Crucial BallistiX Sport LP 16GB 8x2GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Zotac SSD Premium 480GB OCZ Vector 180 480GB Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 7200rpm ID Cooling Frostflow 240L 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
ID Cooling Frostflow 240G Phanteks F140MP x2 CoolerMaster Silencio FP120 x2 Phanteks F140SP 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Delta AFB1212SH x2 Dell U2713HM CM Storm MECH FSP Aurum PT 1200 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G102 Tesoro Aegis X3 Virtus.Pro AKG K7XX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 Depends Depends 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
Plextor M5S Depends Dell U2312HM CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i 
PowerMouse
FSP Aurum PT 1200 CM Storm Mizar 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600 4GHz Gigabyte Z77X D3H Intel HD Graphics 2000 obviously Kingston HyperX Genesis 4X4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Intel 530 240GB Deepcool Captain 240 Arctic Cooling Bionix 140 Delta AFB1212L 
OSPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro CoolerMaster G750M NZXT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › [SOLVED] How to choose a quiet and adequate cooler for i7 4770k Haswell build?