Aha! I finally figured it out, it was USB related. I had unplugged and replugged all my USB peripherals before so I did not think of it right off the bat, but it finally hit me to try different USB ports and I also unplugged a USB extension I had in there and after that I was unable to recreate the freeze. So it's down to either being the USB extender or the USB port itself that the mouse or keyboard was in before. I will figure it out which of those it was causing the problems later, but for now I'm just happy to have finally narrowed it down to something more specific. Many thanks for all the help guys.