Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Intel Core i5 2500k overheating with BIG Shuriken 2b?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel Core i5 2500k overheating with BIG Shuriken 2b? - Page 3

post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

There are better fans available but I think they will do the job. Yes, get 2 for the front of your case. You might want to find a 'Y' splitter
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinfo/productinfo?productCode=204971&affiliate=GooglePLA&cm_mmc=google-_-Product_PlusBox-_-cables-_-204971&catargetid=530001250000014617&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKPmzv7ik7kCFXQftAod7FsAiw

And if they are too loud at full 12v speed. If they are we may need to find something like this
http://www.cmstore.eu/others/cables/fan-speed-reducer/

Or you can use the yellow & red PSU moles wires and the red & black fan wires for 7v power
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-to-Create-a-Three-Speed-Fan-Control-without-Spending-a-Dime/496/2

Hmm, couldn't I change the fan speed using a software of some sort? Anyway, we'll see, hopefully they won't be very loud in the first place.

Also, damn it, it's Friday. The shop doesn't work on Saturdays and Sundays; I'll have to pick the fans up on Monday.
Edited by SpecTATER - 8/23/13 at 7:57am
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecTATER View Post

Hmm, couldn't I change the fan speed using a software of some sort? Anyway, we'll see, hopefully they won't be very loud in the first place.

Also, damn it, it's Friday. The shop doesn't work on Saturdays and Sundays; I'll have to pick the fans up on Monday.
May well be able to control them with motherboard. I only use PWM fans now as I can use motherboard PWM signal to control their speed and power them directly from PSU... not strain on motherboard. wink.gif And using CPU fan header the case fans ramp up and down the same as CPU fans... thus supplying more air as system gets hotter and needs it but drop to a low (silent) speed when computer is not working hard. biggrin.gif

I had no idea of budget so picked some reasonably good cheap fans for you as the Antecs are os similar quality. We could try and find a better fan. Revoltec AirGuard PWM RL063 is 17.99 Lt... if they have any
post #23 of 26
Thread Starter 
They get new shipments every few days, if it isn't there on Monday, I could just order one. I don't mind spending more money if it'll keep my PC cool biggrin.gif
post #24 of 26
Sorry but I don't think this is 100% an airflow problem yet without some more info.

First what is your ambient temperature?

Put all the fans to high for now.

Is your CPU fan reaching max speed? Try downloading a monitor program that can monitor your CPU voltage and fan speeds. I use HWmonitor or hardware monitor or something like that. It's free. You can also check your bios setting to ensure its set to ramp to 100% at 70-75 degrees c.

Earlier you mentioned 1.3v was your CPU voltage which is to high for a 2500. It should be able to run at 1.2 with no issues if not lower.

I can't remember your GPU setup. Do they dump hot air in the case or out the back?
Edited by silvrr - 8/23/13 at 12:16pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecTATER View Post

They get new shipments every few days, if it isn't there on Monday, I could just order one. I don't mind spending more money if it'll keep my PC cool biggrin.gif
I would still put 2 intake fans in the front.

To control them with motherboard CPU PWM fan header you will need a PWM splitter like this to run your Shuriken cooler fan and case fans.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ek-cable-splitter-4-fan-pwm-extended?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=google+shopping&gclid=CPWxtYinlLkCFSGWtAodLSYAWA

I'm curious, why did you get the Shuriken instead of a tower cooler?


Edit: silvrr may be right about CPU voltage. But I still think 2 front intake fans with your 120mm & 140mm back & top exhaust are a good move. Might want to try your Shuriken fan pull air out of cooler instead of pushing in too... but that's another test we can try. I've found these bigger aftermarket downflow coolers often run cooler pulling air away from motherboard. wink.gif
Edited by doyll - 8/23/13 at 12:41pm
post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrr View Post

Sorry but I don't think this is 100% an airflow problem yet without some more info.

First what is your ambient temperature?

Put all the fans to high for now.

Is your CPU fan reaching max speed? Try downloading a monitor program that can monitor your CPU voltage and fan speeds. I use HWmonitor or hardware monitor or something like that. It's free. You can also check your bios setting to ensure its set to ramp to 100% at 70-75 degrees c.

Earlier you mentioned 1.3v was your CPU voltage which is to high for a 2500. It should be able to run at 1.2 with no issues if not lower.

I can't remember your GPU setup. Do they dump hot air in the case or out the back?


Ambient as in room temperature? Around 20-25 degrees.

I'm using HWMonitor already, but the only fans that are show are for the video card and one that is in my motherboard tab. Could that one be for the CPU? I'll check the bios tomorrow.

A GTX 560ti. I'm not sure where's the hot air dumped.


Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

I would still put 2 intake fans in the front.

To control them with motherboard CPU PWM fan header you will need a PWM splitter like this to run your Shuriken cooler fan and case fans.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ek-cable-splitter-4-fan-pwm-extended?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=google+shopping&gclid=CPWxtYinlLkCFSGWtAodLSYAWA

I'm curious, why did you get the Shuriken instead of a tower cooler?


Edit: silvrr may be right about CPU voltage. But I still think 2 front intake fans with your 120mm & 140mm back & top exhaust are a good move. Might want to try your Shuriken fan pull air out of cooler instead of pushing in too... but that's another test we can try. I've found these bigger aftermarket downflow coolers often run cooler pulling air away from motherboard. wink.gif

I'll probably get them anyway, I think it's a good idea because the humidity in my house is really, REALLY high.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Intel Core i5 2500k overheating with BIG Shuriken 2b?