Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Could use some assistance with a Surround Inquiry:)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Could use some assistance with a Surround Inquiry:)

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
So I plan on purchasing a triple monitor setup (bought the ergotron triple monitor plus one stand) but I'm having a hard time trying to find the answer to a specific question I have.

Nvidia's tutorial for setting up the surround is great, but it doesn't really specify if there is a resolution limit to the accessory display. I would like to (if it's not possible, I'll adjust fire and deal with it) purchase a high resolution monitor for my accessory display (I'm torn between either an ultrawide LG 2560x1080 or an ASUS 2560x1440) for web surfing, and for video/photo editing and rendering some 3D projects.

Anyone know if it's possible? Any input is appreciated^_^
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTETSUI View Post

So I plan on purchasing a triple monitor setup (bought the ergotron triple monitor plus one stand) but I'm having a hard time trying to find the answer to a specific question I have.

Nvidia's tutorial for setting up the surround is great, but it doesn't really specify if there is a resolution limit to the accessory display. I would like to (if it's not possible, I'll adjust fire and deal with it) purchase a high resolution monitor for my accessory display (I'm torn between either an ultrawide LG 2560x1080 or an ASUS 2560x1440) for web surfing, and for video/photo editing and rendering some 3D projects.

Anyone know if it's possible? Any input is appreciated^_^

To make it short are you trying to say that you want a triple monitor display? IF you do it depends on your GPU and I dont see a rig so post your details below tongue.gif Also the screen model number would be nice so we can see what we are dealing with smile.gif The asus has is 1440p which has the advantage.
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by F8ALITY View Post

To make it short are you trying to say that you want a triple monitor display? IF you do it depends on your GPU and I dont see a rig so post your details below tongue.gif Also the screen model number would be nice so we can see what we are dealing with smile.gif The asus has is 1440p which has the advantage.

There are 3 EVGA Superclocked 780s on the way right now, along with a 4770K and an MSI Z87 XPower Mobo.
post #4 of 6
I don't see why there would be a resolution limit on the acc display other than vram limits (whatever is on that monitor, even movies, still takes vram)

here's mine with an accessory 1080P on the upper right (after the intro)
also, because depending on what interfaces you use, this could save you the headache I went through
Quote:
Originally Posted by exyia View Post

OK I REMEMBERED - FOR FUTURE REFERENCE READERS (because it really isn't explained anywhere very well)
- Disconnect acc display and configure surround as normal (don't forget to apply bezel corrected resolution in windows afterwards)
- Connect acc display
- In nvidia control panel, go to SET UP MULTIPLE DISPLAYS; do NOT reconfigure surround!!!
- From there, then you can click the checkbox on the acc display and move it accordingly

because nvidia drivers always prioritize DVI for surround monitor selection, even though you don't need to use all DVI (or any at all depending on which combination you use) for surround
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by exyia View Post

I don't see why there would be a resolution limit on the acc display other than vram limits (whatever is on that monitor, even movies, still takes vram)

here's mine with an accessory 1080P on the upper right (after the intro)
also, because depending on what interfaces you use, this could save you the headache I went through
because nvidia drivers always prioritize DVI for surround monitor selection, even though you don't need to use all DVI (or any at all depending on which combination you use) for surround

So in essence - unplug the accessory display until AFTER your surround is set up, then plug it in?

I really hope this works. . .I just don't want to waste money on a 2660x1440 display and it not be compatible or whatnot.
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTETSUI View Post

So in essence - unplug the accessory display until AFTER your surround is set up, then plug it in?

I really hope this works. . .I just don't want to waste money on a 2660x1440 display and it not be compatible or whatnot.

like I posted above, it depends

if you use all 3 DVI for your surround and the accessory is NOT DVI, then it will work fine

nvidia drivers always default to DVI and is "dumb" in that it always assumes the surround monitors are plugged in order and take priority

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround#3

say you go with option 3 - they tell you to use the SECOND DVI for surround, and the FIRST DVI for accessory. It willl work, but only through the method I posted above. If you just plug it in, drivers will assume DVI #1 is the new 1/3 monitor for surround, and that the second DVI is the 2/3 monitor. Again - the drivers will default to and prioritize DVI displays for surround, even though there are many configurations that you can use (see the nvidia linkabove)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Could use some assistance with a Surround Inquiry:)