It was a busy week for me work-wise. I didn't have a lot of time to work on the build but I did manage to finish up some of the LED wiring / sleeving for the CPU and GPUs.
Before I describe this step I want to stop and make a plug for Lutro0 Customs
. While I never met Lutro0, I have to thank him for his dedication to educating other builders on how to wire sleeve. I will fully admit if it wasn't for his youtube videos and providing a place to buy all the right equipment to successfully wire sleeve, I most likely would have just settled with what I happen to get standard from the part manufacturers. But because he provides so many details, examples, etc, he pushed me to strive for something better / custom. Hopefully my results will be a proper reflection of my admiration of his talent and time invested helping others.
Continuing on my LED lighting endeavor, I need to make custom wire extensions for 10 LEDs. First step was to cut 30 wires to equal length (18" I believe) using 22g wire I bought from Lutro0.
Next I shorten the leads on a LED and place it in a clamp (vice).
Side note: I later found out a LED or two were acting "funny" ... i.e. the light would flicker based on movement of the wires. This was mostly likely caused by the leads getting too hot for too long. So I later double the length of the leads you see above and reduced the solder iron temp to about 250C.
Next was to strip one end of the wire using a stripping tool I bought also from Lutro0. Hands down this is the best stripping tool I ever used.
I then pre-tinned the wire and leads with solder.
Finally, I touched the wire to the lead while melting the solder already on both with the iron. Once it flows, take heat off and the wire stuck in place.
A little while later all ten were done.
Moving on to wire sleeving, I first put a small piece of heat shrink on the middle lead purely to prevent a short if the end were to be bent or pushed together.
I then attached the terminals to the other end. Separating the terminals seemed trickery to me at first as there is a good amount of metal holding them together (I thought it was going to be something with a "easy breakaway seam" but wasn't the case with these.) Later I found using a different wire cutter I had made the job of clipping off the metal tabs easier. As you might have guessed, the terminal crimper is also bought from lutro0 and I can say his custom grind work to ensure it works well did make for consistent good crimps.
Using the wire itself, I measure and cut a length of lutro0's black Teleios wire sleeve. Note I cut the sleeve a little longer than the wire as I found the extra was needed due to some expansion sleeving 3 wires together.
Last step was to add some heat shrink on the ends and use a Wagner heat gun on it. That heat gun had variable temp settings and I was using the second from the lowest (450F).
For the circuit board I made to drive these LEDs, I decided to use Velcro to attach it to the case. If that later proves to not hold well, I'll add screws instead.
I put the LEDs on the CPU along with the GPUs putting it in the case for the first time since changing to water blocks.
At this point in time I'm not fussing too much on wire management. That will come later as more parts / wires are added. In fact, here you can see the "mess" in the back while I was testing things out.
Here's some pics of the blocks with the LEDs on while I was testing it out. The CPU and GPUs are on separate lighting circuits. The intention is for the white color to be the "normal" running color with either switching to red when a yet to be determined amount of load is added to them making it easy to tell when they're hard at work.
I still have more plans for additional lighting within the case as well as the outside ... more on that to come. And of course, a lot more wire sleeving using black, white and red lutro0 Teleios colors will soon be in my future.