Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › My initial build: Suggestions and comments welcome
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My initial build: Suggestions and comments welcome - Page 2

post #11 of 17
You might want to check the EVGA forums. People went nuts dealing with that board. It was my choice too, but I've decided on a 965 board. However, if I had your budget, I'd probably just go balls out on the Striker. If you get the EVGA, you'll probably want to remove the chipset heatsinks, clean the crud off of them, and then replace using Arctic Silver 5.

RAM is still a little mysterious to me. I would probably rack my brain looking at all the RAM options, choose something else, and it would make only the slightest difference. It seems like a lot of people, however, sort of average out the timings of RAM when comparing, so they believe that 4-4-4-5 is better that 3-3-3-12, for example. Don't be that guy! For your system, assuming you're aggressively oc'ing, I'd think the highest clock is really what you want, and latencies aren't so much an issue. Maybe you could do one for the team and get one of the 2x2gig (4gig) kits and let us know what you think. You won't really utilize it now, but just a little while down the road, you may be glad you invested, since you want to keep this set-up for about five years.

Your peripherals mostly look like aesthetic choices. Although I haven't updated my sig, I've been using the MX Revolution since xmas. If feels great, and battery life is far superior to the G7--it's more like the MX1000 in that respect. I haven't read about this specifically, but I know people had trouble with the G15 drivers. Do a little research to see how it performs with Vista.

Air or Water? What are your goals? Are you looking for quiet or high performance?
Bare Aluminum UFO
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e8400 3.83 1.3v in Bios EVGA 680i EVGA 8800GTS 320 Ballistix Tracers 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x Seagate 320g 16m Plextor PX-755SA (vinyl-dyed silver) Windows XP SP2 Samsung SyncMaster 931B 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Galaxy 850w DXX Mountain Mods UFO-1203 MX Revolution Eyepad 
  hide details  
Reply
Bare Aluminum UFO
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e8400 3.83 1.3v in Bios EVGA 680i EVGA 8800GTS 320 Ballistix Tracers 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x Seagate 320g 16m Plextor PX-755SA (vinyl-dyed silver) Windows XP SP2 Samsung SyncMaster 931B 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Galaxy 850w DXX Mountain Mods UFO-1203 MX Revolution Eyepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by poprhetor View Post
You might want to check the EVGA forums. People went nuts dealing with that board. It was my choice too, but I've decided on a 965 board. However, if I had your budget, I'd probably just go balls out on the Striker. If you get the EVGA, you'll probably want to remove the chipset heatsinks, clean the crud off of them, and then replace using Arctic Silver 5.

RAM is still a little mysterious to me. I would probably rack my brain looking at all the RAM options, choose something else, and it would make only the slightest difference. It seems like a lot of people, however, sort of average out the timings of RAM when comparing, so they believe that 4-4-4-5 is better that 3-3-3-12, for example. Don't be that guy! For your system, assuming you're aggressively oc'ing, I'd think the highest clock is really what you want, and latencies aren't so much an issue. Maybe you could do one for the team and get one of the 2x2gig (4gig) kits and let us know what you think. You won't really utilize it now, but just a little while down the road, you may be glad you invested, since you want to keep this set-up for about five years.

Your peripherals mostly look like aesthetic choices. Although I haven't updated my sig, I've been using the MX Revolution since xmas. If feels great, and battery life is far superior to the G7--it's more like the MX1000 in that respect. I haven't read about this specifically, but I know people had trouble with the G15 drivers. Do a little research to see how it performs with Vista.

Air or Water? What are your goals? Are you looking for quiet or high performance?
Thanks for the advice. I had checked out the EVGA forums already actually and while they do seem to have had quite a few problems over there (and some people are still having some issues), EVGA seems to be head and shoulders above ASUS in Tech and Customer Support. I've checked out the ASUS forums as well and many people are having issues with the Striker and it seems as though it's a more "help yourself" thing going on there. It's a dissappointment, since I've had some nice experiences with ASUS GFX cards in the past, but I'd rather get superior tech support, especially when shelling out so much for the MOBO. I'll do further research, but those are my initial impressions.

Regarding RAM. I'm looking to try out the G-Skill brand, seeing as how I have heard quite a lot of good things about it, don't really want to invest a ton of money into higher priced Corsairs, which may perform at or even below the G-Skills. 2GB sets at 1000MHz stock or above are not available as far as I know, for the G-Skill and I'm kind of set on that brand to be honest. I would however like to use 8GB one day on my mobo under Windows Vista Ulimate 64-Bit. I'm in no rush though.

Thanks for the tip about the G-15, I'll be sure to look into that. I'm looking for a combination of looks and performance in my input devices (and frankly with the whole computer). I have a decent sized budget to put into this rig (not sure when I will be able to invest this much into a setup again), so I'd like to get some great pieces that I'll be happy to use for at least the next five years and which will look and perform well while doing so.

In terms of my goals, I'm looking for the best of both worlds. I want extreme performance, though if I can get quiet at the same time, I would be happy to. I'm going to be on the cusp of adopting next gen games here for multiplayer competition and level design. 3D Models and Graphic Design as well as Audio and Video Streaming.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter32 View Post
It's a dissappointment, since I've had some nice experiences with ASUS GFX cards in the past, but I'd rather get superior tech support, especially when shelling out so much for the MOBO. I'll do further research, but those are my initial impressions.
Sounds reasonable. I'll be very curious what you find. I may waffle back that direction, but I think I'm pretty much scared off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter32 View Post
Regarding RAM. I'm looking to try out the G-Skill brand, seeing as how I have heard quite a lot of good things about it, don't really want to invest a ton of money into higher priced Corsairs, which may perform at or even below the G-Skills. 2GB sets at 1000MHz stock or above are not available as far as I know, for the G-Skill and I'm kind of set on that brand to be honest. I would however like to use 8GB one day on my mobo under Windows Vista Ulimate 64-Bit. I'm in no rush though.
I was referring to these earlier. Really expensive, but it's four gigs, and it's G.Skill. Now, I'm not one to look at Newegg reviews as gospel, but there's very little known about this ram so far. The last guy to review said his 64-bit Vista recognized all four gigs and everything works great. Rather compelling . . .

I don't know crap about water cooling. I'd like to try it, but not this year. To me, it would seem to be more an issue of how much you want to put on your plate. You'll have a great system either way.
Bare Aluminum UFO
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e8400 3.83 1.3v in Bios EVGA 680i EVGA 8800GTS 320 Ballistix Tracers 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x Seagate 320g 16m Plextor PX-755SA (vinyl-dyed silver) Windows XP SP2 Samsung SyncMaster 931B 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Galaxy 850w DXX Mountain Mods UFO-1203 MX Revolution Eyepad 
  hide details  
Reply
Bare Aluminum UFO
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e8400 3.83 1.3v in Bios EVGA 680i EVGA 8800GTS 320 Ballistix Tracers 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x Seagate 320g 16m Plextor PX-755SA (vinyl-dyed silver) Windows XP SP2 Samsung SyncMaster 931B 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Galaxy 850w DXX Mountain Mods UFO-1203 MX Revolution Eyepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter32 View Post
I am looking for this system to last me about 5 years, if not longer, with minimal modifications in the interim, while being able to play top of the line games and use top of the line editing tools and 3d design apps.
Sorry, but that simply isn't going to happen. In 5 years, anything you buy now will be a dinosaur. You'd be far better off buying a $3k computer now and another one in 2 or 3 years. Just my .02
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Asus P8P67 Galaxy GTX580 8GB G Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80 gb SSD, Raptor 150 Windows 7 Home Premium 24" Samsung LCD Saitek Eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
PCP&C 750W Antec P180 Logitech MX-510 blue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
Sorry, but that simply isn't going to happen. In 5 years, anything you buy now will be a dinosaur. You'd be far better off buying a $3k computer now and another one in 2 or 3 years. Just my .02
That really depends on how his usage will change over the next five years. If he wants to continue playing all the cutting edge games as they come out over the next five years, then you're right. But if he sees that tapering off over the next few years, then he'll be left with a system that will be very serviceable for a long time.
Bare Aluminum UFO
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e8400 3.83 1.3v in Bios EVGA 680i EVGA 8800GTS 320 Ballistix Tracers 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x Seagate 320g 16m Plextor PX-755SA (vinyl-dyed silver) Windows XP SP2 Samsung SyncMaster 931B 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Galaxy 850w DXX Mountain Mods UFO-1203 MX Revolution Eyepad 
  hide details  
Reply
Bare Aluminum UFO
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
e8400 3.83 1.3v in Bios EVGA 680i EVGA 8800GTS 320 Ballistix Tracers 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2 x Seagate 320g 16m Plextor PX-755SA (vinyl-dyed silver) Windows XP SP2 Samsung SyncMaster 931B 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Enermax Galaxy 850w DXX Mountain Mods UFO-1203 MX Revolution Eyepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the feedback poprhetor, much appreciated. Rep +. Will probably start ordering the parts this weekend. Should anyone else have any suggestions, would be great to hear them. Thanks in advance.

sccr64472, perhaps it won't last as long as I hope, guess we'll see what happens.
post #17 of 17
I would say not to buy the G.Skill HZ $300 kit, sure they're 1000mhz but for $100 less, you can get the G.Skill HK kit for $200 and will certainly achieve the 1000mhz speeds as well and easy with the same latencies.

So this is the kit I'd highly recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231114

And here are some of the reviews: Link Here and also Link Here.

Cooling? Get a Tuniq Tower 120, the best air-cooling for a Core 2 Duo CPU. Get it while they last.

Everything else looks good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › My initial build: Suggestions and comments welcome