Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Computer being sluggish
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Computer being sluggish

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Ok, so i have read all kinds of threads and still not really getting all of what i have. I have a brand new (only 4 months old computer the Samsung series 7 chronos laptop with a Intel core i7-3635QM CPU @ 2.40GHz i have a 8GB RAM 64 bit operating system and 1 terabyte of space currently with 823 GB's free still i have redone my whole computer back to the factory settings i have Bit Defender as Anti-virus software and all i do is use the internet play World of Tanks (Game) and get on TS3 (Team speak 3) but my computer is once again going slow takes 30secs-2mins to open a program i looked on my task manager to check my memory and i see im using 1750ish MB i have about 5600MB on Stand by and 488 Free so any thoughts?
post #2 of 7
Try running Spybot 2, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Sure you will find something.

Then a good old CC Cleaner Registry cleaning run won't hurt.

but what you want to look for, to see if something is putting load on your computer is your Resource Monitor, located in performance of Task Manager. There you can see the percentage of programs putting load on your CPU, and then can judge the culprit.

smile.gif
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman0522 View Post

Ok, so i have read all kinds of threads and still not really getting all of what i have. I have a brand new (only 4 months old computer the Samsung series 7 chronos laptop with a Intel core i7-3635QM CPU @ 2.40GHz i have a 8GB RAM 64 bit operating system and 1 terabyte of space currently with 823 GB's free still i have redone my whole computer back to the factory settings i have Bit Defender as Anti-virus software and all i do is use the internet play World of Tanks (Game) and get on TS3 (Team speak 3) but my computer is once again going slow takes 30secs-2mins to open a program i looked on my task manager to check my memory and i see im using 1750ish MB i have about 5600MB on Stand by and 488 Free so any thoughts?

Check for viruses/malware and open task manager (Right Click taskbar > Start task manager) to see if anything is abnormally hogging up more resources than it should.
Limit background applications while gaming too.

If you like more responsiveness, quicker startup and loading times then perhaps you could invest in an SSD?
Also defrag your hard drive and check for bad sectors, being a 1tb drive you might have to give it some time and patience.
   
Pink Power
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz 1.34v Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R Gigabyte GTX 760 OC Kingston HyperX t1 8GB 1866 MHZ 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green 2TB Intel 520 SSD Samsung SH-224DB DVD Burner Corsair H105 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x Enermax T.B Apollish Twister 140mm 2x NZXT FN 120RB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775W 
CaseOtherOtherOther
NZXT Phantom 410 Leadtek DTV1000s HD TV Tuner/Capture Card ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter NZXT Sleeved Lighting Kit 100cm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G630 Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 POV GT 430 2GB Strontium 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Blue 500GB LG External DVD Burner Win7 Ultimate 32bit 680W ATX Power Supply 
CaseOther
K-Mart Fish Tank Blue LED Strip 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3 4170 AsRock B85M Pro3 ASUS Radeon R7 370 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Toshiba 500GB SATA3 Sandisk SSD Plus Windows 7 Ultimate Antec VPF550 550w 
CaseOther
Bitfenix Shinobi (Pink) 2x 30cm Pink LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
   
Pink Power
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz 1.34v Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R Gigabyte GTX 760 OC Kingston HyperX t1 8GB 1866 MHZ 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green 2TB Intel 520 SSD Samsung SH-224DB DVD Burner Corsair H105 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x Enermax T.B Apollish Twister 140mm 2x NZXT FN 120RB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775W 
CaseOtherOtherOther
NZXT Phantom 410 Leadtek DTV1000s HD TV Tuner/Capture Card ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter NZXT Sleeved Lighting Kit 100cm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G630 Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 POV GT 430 2GB Strontium 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Blue 500GB LG External DVD Burner Win7 Ultimate 32bit 680W ATX Power Supply 
CaseOther
K-Mart Fish Tank Blue LED Strip 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3 4170 AsRock B85M Pro3 ASUS Radeon R7 370 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Toshiba 500GB SATA3 Sandisk SSD Plus Windows 7 Ultimate Antec VPF550 550w 
CaseOther
Bitfenix Shinobi (Pink) 2x 30cm Pink LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Thank you for the help guys i tried all of what you have said and still not much going on for me at max my CPU will get to 36% and that is hardcore running for me my game uses the most and it caps at 20% CPU 15% memory i have not once been over that to my knowledge and that's was playing a game during a full system scan with my Bit Defender. I do not know what is causing this problem i took it to best buy they looked and used all their gadets and put everything back to the factory settings as well i redownloaded everything running it through my scaner so all i have is my bit defender my game and ts3 which has always been fine on my computers and it's still having issues im starting to think i have a faulty laptop and as for my memory it tops out at 32% i look at my task manger and in use is around 1300 almost always stand by is around 4000-6000MB and i have around 400-600MB free space
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman0522 View Post

Thank you for the help guys i tried all of what you have said and still not much going on for me at max my CPU will get to 36% and that is hardcore running for me my game uses the most and it caps at 20% CPU 15% memory i have not once been over that to my knowledge and that's was playing a game during a full system scan with my Bit Defender. I do not know what is causing this problem i took it to best buy they looked and used all their gadets and put everything back to the factory settings as well i redownloaded everything running it through my scaner so all i have is my bit defender my game and ts3 which has always been fine on my computers and it's still having issues im starting to think i have a faulty laptop and as for my memory it tops out at 32% i look at my task manger and in use is around 1300 almost always stand by is around 4000-6000MB and i have around 400-600MB free space

Did it always perform this way? Is there a chance it has been dropped or anything like that?
Regardless if you're using 5% memory or 50% , the sort of sluggishness you were describing shouldn't happen unless something is also taxing the hard drive or CPU or too many things are loading up at once.
Perhaps you have too many startup programs running?
Hit the start menu > type in msconfig > 1 program should come up > Click it > Click 'Start up' > Choose minimal, only essential applications.

After windows loads, you should be able to wait less time before you can start using it and opening more applications.
Otherwise, check and make sure your antivirus is in Game Mode if any.
If you like true speed and responsiveness, quick loading times, then again, an SSD would be a terrific investment.
   
Pink Power
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz 1.34v Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R Gigabyte GTX 760 OC Kingston HyperX t1 8GB 1866 MHZ 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green 2TB Intel 520 SSD Samsung SH-224DB DVD Burner Corsair H105 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x Enermax T.B Apollish Twister 140mm 2x NZXT FN 120RB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775W 
CaseOtherOtherOther
NZXT Phantom 410 Leadtek DTV1000s HD TV Tuner/Capture Card ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter NZXT Sleeved Lighting Kit 100cm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G630 Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 POV GT 430 2GB Strontium 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Blue 500GB LG External DVD Burner Win7 Ultimate 32bit 680W ATX Power Supply 
CaseOther
K-Mart Fish Tank Blue LED Strip 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3 4170 AsRock B85M Pro3 ASUS Radeon R7 370 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Toshiba 500GB SATA3 Sandisk SSD Plus Windows 7 Ultimate Antec VPF550 550w 
CaseOther
Bitfenix Shinobi (Pink) 2x 30cm Pink LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
   
Pink Power
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz 1.34v Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R Gigabyte GTX 760 OC Kingston HyperX t1 8GB 1866 MHZ 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green 2TB Intel 520 SSD Samsung SH-224DB DVD Burner Corsair H105 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x Enermax T.B Apollish Twister 140mm 2x NZXT FN 120RB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775W 
CaseOtherOtherOther
NZXT Phantom 410 Leadtek DTV1000s HD TV Tuner/Capture Card ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter NZXT Sleeved Lighting Kit 100cm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G630 Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 POV GT 430 2GB Strontium 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Blue 500GB LG External DVD Burner Win7 Ultimate 32bit 680W ATX Power Supply 
CaseOther
K-Mart Fish Tank Blue LED Strip 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3 4170 AsRock B85M Pro3 ASUS Radeon R7 370 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Toshiba 500GB SATA3 Sandisk SSD Plus Windows 7 Ultimate Antec VPF550 550w 
CaseOther
Bitfenix Shinobi (Pink) 2x 30cm Pink LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Yes has only started and no my computer has not been dropped it stays in one location and i looked at the start up programs and there we're a few but only 2 were considered medium impact my anit virus goes into game mode automatically when i start my game so i guess ill try the SSD then
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman0522 View Post

Yes has only started and no my computer has not been dropped it stays in one location and i looked at the start up programs and there we're a few but only 2 were considered medium impact my anit virus goes into game mode automatically when i start my game so i guess ill try the SSD then

Anything you don't immediately need on startup should be unselected from that list in msconfig.
Upgrading to an SSD from a normal hard drive will give you much quicker start up times, quicker load times, quicker install and update times, more responsiveness, the list goes on. If you like a very fast responsive pc experience, then it's a great choice. Just make sure to choose a modern ssd with appropriate capacity.
   
Pink Power
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz 1.34v Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R Gigabyte GTX 760 OC Kingston HyperX t1 8GB 1866 MHZ 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green 2TB Intel 520 SSD Samsung SH-224DB DVD Burner Corsair H105 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x Enermax T.B Apollish Twister 140mm 2x NZXT FN 120RB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775W 
CaseOtherOtherOther
NZXT Phantom 410 Leadtek DTV1000s HD TV Tuner/Capture Card ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter NZXT Sleeved Lighting Kit 100cm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G630 Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 POV GT 430 2GB Strontium 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Blue 500GB LG External DVD Burner Win7 Ultimate 32bit 680W ATX Power Supply 
CaseOther
K-Mart Fish Tank Blue LED Strip 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3 4170 AsRock B85M Pro3 ASUS Radeon R7 370 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Toshiba 500GB SATA3 Sandisk SSD Plus Windows 7 Ultimate Antec VPF550 550w 
CaseOther
Bitfenix Shinobi (Pink) 2x 30cm Pink LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
   
Pink Power
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz 1.34v Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R Gigabyte GTX 760 OC Kingston HyperX t1 8GB 1866 MHZ 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green 2TB Intel 520 SSD Samsung SH-224DB DVD Burner Corsair H105 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x Enermax T.B Apollish Twister 140mm 2x NZXT FN 120RB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775W 
CaseOtherOtherOther
NZXT Phantom 410 Leadtek DTV1000s HD TV Tuner/Capture Card ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter NZXT Sleeved Lighting Kit 100cm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G630 Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 POV GT 430 2GB Strontium 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
WD Caviar Blue 500GB LG External DVD Burner Win7 Ultimate 32bit 680W ATX Power Supply 
CaseOther
K-Mart Fish Tank Blue LED Strip 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3 4170 AsRock B85M Pro3 ASUS Radeon R7 370 Kingston HyperX Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Toshiba 500GB SATA3 Sandisk SSD Plus Windows 7 Ultimate Antec VPF550 550w 
CaseOther
Bitfenix Shinobi (Pink) 2x 30cm Pink LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Computer being sluggish