Originally Posted by SlackerITGuy
Originally Posted by RagingCain
Entirely true, roughly 90% was software side. According BON, who first reported that the HD 7000 series supposedly would support them by hardware. There were four features left out, that nVidia stated they didn't think they pertained to gaming.
What that means for 11_0, is that 11_0 was re-released (EDIT: HUGE TYPO, RERELEASED
) with DX11.1, as "updated" versions of 11 code, standard DX11 was just under 11 family. Code specific to ONLY 11.1 was deemed 11_1. They then went on to state that they do support the 11_0 (which is apart of DX11.1) but not 11_1 via hardware.
So to my original statement, most of the DX11.1 was software updates, therefore, should run on DX11.0 hardware. You can not do the same for an entire family revision (ex DX12). These DX11,1 features not included via hardware, could very well be included with work around for developers in the driver (call this function for this effect etc.). The same can be said of the DX11_2 release. There is not much in the way of substantial change.Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I get where you're coming from, I really do, but we can't assume that can't we? my whole point is that there's gotta be at least some
hardware change(s) requirements for 11.2, since all of these articles state pretty clearly that these recent incompatibilities are not hardware related. If these updates were 100% on the software side then this whole issue wouldn't exist in the 1st place IMO, since it would be a given that this would get solved by a driver update.
Either way, it really doesn't matter in the big picture (at least for most of the OCN crowd and our rapid upgrade rate), 11.1 is supported by both NVIDIA and AMD, and it's gonna be a long while for dev studios to start implement 11.2 on their games, but at least it's nice to know this stuff.
Of course there is a hardware component silly. I even stated it. 90% of it was software side, meaning the other 10% was hardware. I just wanted to emphasize how little was hardware and how truly different the DirectX level of support is on both sides. It isn't very clear by either company so I clarified it as best as I could.
What this means is that:
AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series supports 100% of DX11.2.
Geforce GTX 6XX Series supports 90% of DX11.2.
While the remaining 10% can be done with software work arounds (based on experience) if they are really wanted. DirectX is just an API to make standardization and effects easy to program.
It is cool that AMD decided to fully support an unreleased API at the time with hardware, but they could have easily ended up with 95 to 90% support (had Microsoft added things later on.) So it was a gamble.
I am just stating that AMDs marketing department has a habit of over hyping products to the point they are sometimes being dishonest, or hyping feature sets as sales point when they clearly know that nobody is using them. I just want people to have facts.