Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › will this mobo be able to handle a 5ghz overclock
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

will this mobo be able to handle a 5ghz overclock - Page 2

post #11 of 18
The ga-990fxa-ud5 and ud7 are good bets, the ud7 (correct me if I'm wrong) was the board used for the current world record overclock using a 8350. That's what I'm currently running, though I'm only running at 4.4, but tomorrow finally ill have time to push higher thumb.gif
Alienware 15
(11 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-4710HQ GTX 970M 3GB 16GB 256GB M.2 SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
250GB m.2 SSD 1TB HDD Fedora 23 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardMouse
4k IPS Corsair K95 Corsair K65 
  hide details  
Reply
Alienware 15
(11 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-4710HQ GTX 970M 3GB 16GB 256GB M.2 SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
250GB m.2 SSD 1TB HDD Fedora 23 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardMouse
4k IPS Corsair K95 Corsair K65 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

The better boards should be able to do 5ghz ok. I don't want to push one particular brand so will just say probably any starting at $150-$160 and up will give you a solid board.

Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI all make boards in that range that should do it. My MSI 990FXA-GD80 is running an 8350 @ 4.7ghz and staying nice and cool doing it.

A better board is cheaper in the long run just because you don't have to mess with it. For instance, I bought a $140 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 and after the dust settled it had cost me $250 in aftermarket parts and shipping.
thanks for you're help!!
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTots View Post

The ga-990fxa-ud5 and ud7 are good bets, the ud7 (correct me if I'm wrong) was the board used for the current world record overclock using a 8350. That's what I'm currently running, though I'm only running at 4.4, but tomorrow finally ill have time to push higher thumb.gif
I think that the ud7 is a bit expensive my friend.
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsdk View Post

I think that the ud7 is a bit expensive my friend.
maybe so, but the ud5 is a good bit more affordable thumb.gif
Alienware 15
(11 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-4710HQ GTX 970M 3GB 16GB 256GB M.2 SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
250GB m.2 SSD 1TB HDD Fedora 23 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardMouse
4k IPS Corsair K95 Corsair K65 
  hide details  
Reply
Alienware 15
(11 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-4710HQ GTX 970M 3GB 16GB 256GB M.2 SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
250GB m.2 SSD 1TB HDD Fedora 23 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardMouse
4k IPS Corsair K95 Corsair K65 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

The better boards should be able to do 5ghz ok. I don't want to push one particular brand so will just say probably any starting at $150-$160 and up will give you a solid board.

Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI all make boards in that range that should do it. My MSI 990FXA-GD80 is running an 8350 @ 4.7ghz and staying nice and cool doing it.

A better board is cheaper in the long run just because you don't have to mess with it. For instance, I bought a $140 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 and after the dust settled it had cost me $250 in aftermarket parts and shipping.

100% agreed.

I have a ASRock 990FX Extreme 9. Planning to keep it for a long long time (i.e. 2-3 years) as I know it will perform fine, and allow for upgrades if/when needed. wink.gif
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsam71 View Post

100% agreed.

I have a ASRock 990FX Extreme 9. Planning to keep it for a long long time (i.e. 2-3 years) as I know it will perform fine, and allow for upgrades if/when needed. wink.gif

Muahahahahaha..
What if AM3+ is dead? sneaky.gif
post #17 of 18
In 3 years you will need a new motherboard anyway for the new memory and peripherals and whatever other new candy we will all be wanting then.
Blackie
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
Blackie
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsdk View Post

I think that the ud7 is a bit expensive my friend.

So is water-cooling; I'd expect ~$160-200 for a mobo that can handle those clocks. Cheap mobo = mild OC = don't need water cooling. Mid to expensive mobo = (likely) support for 5ghz if your CPU is strong enough = some need for WC'ing.
Edited by asuindasun - 9/5/13 at 12:57pm
Drowning Maxwell
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X-SOC-CF Gigabyte GTX 980 1557/1975 Corsair 2x4gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung Evo 500gb Samsung EcoGreen F4 2TB  XSPC Raystorm D5 RX240 + GTX360 Blackice EK GTX 980 Acetal+Nickel 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64 Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 SeaSonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouse
HAF 932 Black ed. Razor Naga Hex 
  hide details  
Reply
Drowning Maxwell
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X-SOC-CF Gigabyte GTX 980 1557/1975 Corsair 2x4gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung Evo 500gb Samsung EcoGreen F4 2TB  XSPC Raystorm D5 RX240 + GTX360 Blackice EK GTX 980 Acetal+Nickel 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64 Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 SeaSonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouse
HAF 932 Black ed. Razor Naga Hex 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › will this mobo be able to handle a 5ghz overclock