Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Rev3Games] Dragon Age Inquisition First Look
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Rev3Games] Dragon Age Inquisition First Look - Page 6

post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeSC View Post

NO ONE liked DA2 combat. Mind numbingly boring nonsense that took the best part of DA:O and threw it away to appeal to frat boys and 12 year olds. Fail.

A lot of people liked DA2's combat. The big complaints(that weren't hyperbole) were the loss of the tactical camera(which is coming back) and the waves of enemies teleporting in(time will tell if they fixed that one). But the combat itself was faster paced, and in some people's opinion(mine included), that is a good thing. DA:O was positively sluggish in comparison. Otherwise there isn't that much different, as they are both fairly basic systems aside from a few synergistic power combos. In fact, I'd say that DA2 has the deeper system, especially for people who aren't mages.
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeSC View Post

Wow, I was actually far more excited about this game until watching this video. The video segment starting around 3:20 makes me hate the combat prospects of this game. Yay, Mouse spamming for 3 hit combos for 20 hours... sounds like fun.

NO ONE liked DA2 combat. Mind numbingly boring nonsense that took the best part of DA:O and threw it away to appeal to frat boys and 12 year olds. Fail.

They put that mouse mashing train wreck of a combat system in the demo because the people who made the game focused on action style combat for this game. If the focus of the combat was pause and play tactical combat like DA:O they would have shown that in the video somewhere.

face it DA:O fans, this game will feel more like DA2 than DA.

The tactical view was part of the presentation. See here.
post #53 of 58
They're going for the middle ground between DA:O and DA2 for combat it seems.
Quote:
Continuing that idea of letting players take more control over a fight, BioWare has reduced the general speed of combat relative to Dragon Age II. According to Laidlaw, the combat pacing of Inquisition sits "dead in the middle" of the first two Dragon Age titles. Just like the inclusion of an overhead camera, it's part of an effort to let players take better stock of the situation and not feel so rushed and frazzled during fights.

"Our goal is to ensure that combat feels tactical," Laidlaw says. "We want it to be memorable. We want you to get enough information to learn about enemies, learn their behaviors and abilities. That requires the pace to be brought down from Dragon Age II."

Source
Edited by Maou - 9/2/13 at 4:31am
Zetsubou
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 970 SLI G-Skill 8GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD 1TB Black Samsung EVO 850 500GB Noctua NH-D14 Win 8.1 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Dell U2410 Seasonic X-750 CM 690 II Advance Razer Naga 
Mouse Pad
Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
Zetsubou
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 970 SLI G-Skill 8GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD 1TB Black Samsung EVO 850 500GB Noctua NH-D14 Win 8.1 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Dell U2410 Seasonic X-750 CM 690 II Advance Razer Naga 
Mouse Pad
Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maou View Post

They're going for the middle ground between DA:O and DA2 for combat it seems.
Source

But if you have to dodge manually how will you play with camera being far away?
Machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-870 @4.2GHz ASUS P7P55D EVO Sapphire r9 290 Tri-X @1125/1400 +0mV (freeSync) Kingston Fury 8GB @2100MHz 1.5V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 250GB CM Hyper 212+ Win 10 Pro x64 ASUS MG279Q (1440p) + ASUS 22'' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
ASUS Echelon Mechanical (black) Corsair HX 750W CM Storm Sniper CM Storm Reaper 
  hide details  
Reply
Machine
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-870 @4.2GHz ASUS P7P55D EVO Sapphire r9 290 Tri-X @1125/1400 +0mV (freeSync) Kingston Fury 8GB @2100MHz 1.5V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial BX100 250GB CM Hyper 212+ Win 10 Pro x64 ASUS MG279Q (1440p) + ASUS 22'' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
ASUS Echelon Mechanical (black) Corsair HX 750W CM Storm Sniper CM Storm Reaper 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Nocri View Post

But if you have to dodge manually how will you play with camera being far away?

It's not really very far away and you can always switch to the third-person camera if you want to focus on 1 char , tactical camera is for controlling your entire team and stuffs.
Quote:
One tool you can use to plan those approaches is the overhead tactical camera, a feature found in the PC version of Dragon Age: Origins that was then eschewed from its sequel in favor of faster, more frenetic combat. In Inquisition, the tactical camera is available on all platforms--consoles and PC. It essentially allows you to pause time, pull back to an isometric view high above the ground, and issue attack and movement orders like a general on the battlefield. And once those orders are issued, you can either jump back into the standard third-person camera or remain in the overhead view for the entire fight, watching your orders play out in real-time and micromanaging your party until every enemy is dead.

Of course, you can simply remain in the standard third-person action camera the entire time if that's more up your alley. "Really what we're doing is giving you different ways to control the intensity of combat," says Darrah. "It's not that you need to play the game this way. It's just another tool in your toolbox to manage more intense fights."
Zetsubou
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 970 SLI G-Skill 8GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD 1TB Black Samsung EVO 850 500GB Noctua NH-D14 Win 8.1 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Dell U2410 Seasonic X-750 CM 690 II Advance Razer Naga 
Mouse Pad
Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
Zetsubou
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k  Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 970 SLI G-Skill 8GB 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD 1TB Black Samsung EVO 850 500GB Noctua NH-D14 Win 8.1 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Dell U2410 Seasonic X-750 CM 690 II Advance Razer Naga 
Mouse Pad
Goliathus Control 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 58
You mean I can buy my own nug ?
https://twitter.com/dragonage/status/373519497132388353/photo/1



Nugs will be massive this winter.
Edited by dogbiscuit - 9/3/13 at 12:02am
The Watt Gobbler
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A8 5600K Asrock FM2A75 Pro 4 Powercolour HD 7850 2GB vengeance 2 x 4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 320 GB Samsung 840 250GB SSD Samsung Super Writemaster Zalman CNPS 5X 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Win 7 Pro 64 Mint 15 Dell VGA 1280x1024 NEC DVI 1280x1024 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic 22" HDMI New wireless junk Silverstone Strider Essential 600W Akasa Omega 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Urage 5 button gamer Don't bother with one. Asus Xonar DGX 
  hide details  
Reply
The Watt Gobbler
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A8 5600K Asrock FM2A75 Pro 4 Powercolour HD 7850 2GB vengeance 2 x 4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 320 GB Samsung 840 250GB SSD Samsung Super Writemaster Zalman CNPS 5X 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Win 7 Pro 64 Mint 15 Dell VGA 1280x1024 NEC DVI 1280x1024 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic 22" HDMI New wireless junk Silverstone Strider Essential 600W Akasa Omega 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Urage 5 button gamer Don't bother with one. Asus Xonar DGX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars Unseen View Post

A lot of people liked DA2's combat. The big complaints(that weren't hyperbole) were the loss of the tactical camera(which is coming back) and the waves of enemies teleporting in(time will tell if they fixed that one). But the combat itself was faster paced, and in some people's opinion(mine included), that is a good thing. DA:O was positively sluggish in comparison. Otherwise there isn't that much different, as they are both fairly basic systems aside from a few synergistic power combos. In fact, I'd say that DA2 has the deeper system, especially for people who aren't mages.

tactical camera doesn't work if you need to be paying attention to a single character to "react" to the battle, dodges etc... The only thing "sluggish" in DAO was two handed heroes imo. The teleporting of new enemies made DA2 almost unplayable to me. You can't tactically set up a battle when you don't know how many waves of enemies are coming. Its nonsense, and endless waves of mobs to hack and slash is not what DA is supposed to be about.

"A lot of people liked it"... maybe thats true, but less than half the people bought it that bought DA:O. You would have to TRY and fail that hard coming off a universally acclaimed title like DA:O. Want a fantasy themed hack and slash, mouse destroying clickfest? There are dozens and dozens of games to suit your fancy. DA:O was "revolutionary" in how old-school it was. The ability to control every action of your party in "real time" by using the tactical pause... its sheer brilliance. Its like controlling an entire WoW party at the same time with 4 brains and 4 PC's.

I honestly can't see their rationale for doing what they did. If the posted numbers are correct: 5 million people bought DA:O, and 2 million bought DA2. Logic and a concern for your bottom line dictate you go back to DA:O in almost ever way. Especially after the outcry against DA2, the likes of which I have not seen about a game sequel in my whole life.

Meh, grand scheme of the world this is peanuts and not worth the dramatic language and critique. But I'm just bummed to see one of my top 3 favorite games of all time (DA:O) be mostly abandoned in favor of a mainstream 3 button combo adventure.
Blood Dragon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G  G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 2133 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 64 QNIX 2710 Evolution II Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming Logitech G502 Proteus Core Cyber Snipa TRACER 
Audio
Logitech G35 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Blood Dragon
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-4670K MSI Z87-G45 Gaming LGA 1150 MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G  G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 2133 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 64 QNIX 2710 Evolution II Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming Logitech G502 Proteus Core Cyber Snipa TRACER 
Audio
Logitech G35 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeSC View Post

tactical camera doesn't work if you need to be paying attention to a single character to "react" to the battle, dodges etc... The only thing "sluggish" in DAO was two handed heroes imo. The teleporting of new enemies made DA2 almost unplayable to me. You can't tactically set up a battle when you don't know how many waves of enemies are coming. Its nonsense, and endless waves of mobs to hack and slash is not what DA is supposed to be about.

"A lot of people liked it"... maybe thats true, but less than half the people bought it that bought DA:O. You would have to TRY and fail that hard coming off a universally acclaimed title like DA:O. Want a fantasy themed hack and slash, mouse destroying clickfest? There are dozens and dozens of games to suit your fancy. DA:O was "revolutionary" in how old-school it was. The ability to control every action of your party in "real time" by using the tactical pause... its sheer brilliance. Its like controlling an entire WoW party at the same time with 4 brains and 4 PC's.

I honestly can't see their rationale for doing what they did. If the posted numbers are correct: 5 million people bought DA:O, and 2 million bought DA2. Logic and a concern for your bottom line dictate you go back to DA:O in almost ever way. Especially after the outcry against DA2, the likes of which I have not seen about a game sequel in my whole life.

Meh, grand scheme of the world this is peanuts and not worth the dramatic language and critique. But I'm just bummed to see one of my top 3 favorite games of all time (DA:O) be mostly abandoned in favor of a mainstream 3 button combo adventure.
It looks like they're trying to find a middle ground, which I welcome personally. DA2 felt much more kinetic than DAO, and aside from the waves of enemies and the lack of friendly fire at default settings I preferred the revised combat engine.

Still I've yet to play a Bioware game where combat was the main attraction, and DA2's short comings went well beyond that. If they can recreate an epic story with memorable companions, real player choices with real consequences, and vast areas to explore I could easily forgive some small missteps in combat (though from what we've seen so far it looks GREAT to me).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Rev3Games] Dragon Age Inquisition First Look