Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › ¿Would 4770K bottleneck 3 - 4 way Sli of GTX 780?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

¿Would 4770K bottleneck 3 - 4 way Sli of GTX 780? - Page 3

post #21 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post

I think that based on your plans to keep the machine for so long, Haswell or any other mainstream chip is a poor choice, and that X79 would be vastly better. Look at how long X58 has persevered, and X79 is 2 years old but only halfway through its life and still the most powerful platform available.

I would definitely wait a little longer, which may be just long enough to save a bit more to get X79. You say you will be keeping it a while, so you don't want a two year case of buyer's regret...
I was thinking about this, i would like you consider these guessings if you don't mind. 3930K is a superior CPU than 4770K no douth, but maybe GTX 780 is not a good match for that processor being capped to 3 Gb Vram, ultimatly games requiriments will develop more Vram hungry as time passes, then when they ask for 6 - 8 Gb ram we will find oura GTX 780 are simple not enough, not even at 2 - 3 way SLI because as you know Vram on Sli doesnt stack.

In my opinion to properly take advantage from 3930K's future proof quality, would be necesary to match a really wide budget,

* A proper Motherboard with Excelent Ultra Overclock ability, none cheap mobo alowed.
* A wide room for many GPU as possible (Quad Sli maximun on Titan)
* As much Vram as possible, currently GTX TITAN and 7970 Ghz 6Gb are the only with a big ammount of vram.

Otherwise, what's the point to build a 3930K system with poor overclock range (than any 4770K can surpass), or limitation on number of GPU for SLI (since 4770K already can handle very fine 2 Way Sli), or match as many GPU's as one wants 2,3,4 way SLi with just 3Gb vram for each (when games to come will require more vram per unit). To all this you must also add the cost of bigger Power Supply to mantain 4 hungry GPU, Bigger Case, better cooling, etc.

One should spend a hefty ammount of money for the mere fact to try future proof the thing. For starting, each TITAN is 350$ more expensive than 780. We could even considerate to invest on a pair of Titans and forget about X79, because from where i can see, games will request more vram sooner than Extra CPU cores, leaving 6Gb of Titan extend a bit the life spam of your Gaming Pc.

Conclusion: one could try to future proof the gaming pc, yes but GTX 780 is not the way.
Edited by Sujeto 1 - 9/3/13 at 4:34am
post #22 of 28
Why would anybody who has enough money for x79 and 4 titans care so much about future proofing a PC multiple years into the future when they can just pay less now and get a new rig in 2-4 years?
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte G1 980 Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte G1 980 Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujeto 1 View Post

Got it hermanito, but sabertooth is limited to 2 Way Sli. I was also thinking in that way, grabbing a cheap motherboard and the 3930K.

You're right, the saber tooth is limited to 2 way. But there are a Gigabyte ud5 will support 3 way sli without breaking the bank. That's a solid board.
post #24 of 28
I just got a 3930k with a x79 UP4 board. This board supports 4 way sli with pcie 3.0.
post #25 of 28
3GB is more than enough VRAM for almost any game these days. You can almost handle triple 1080p gaming with just 2GB of memory (please don't make me try to find a link to that article again for proof; it's really hard to find). IMO, there's no reason to go for a titan over a 780.
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay View Post

3GB is more than enough VRAM for almost any game these days. You can almost handle triple 1080p gaming with just 2GB of memory (please don't make me try to find a link to that article again for proof; it's really hard to find). IMO, there's no reason to go for a titan over a 780.

If you get 3 Korean monitors, 7680x1440, 780 won't cut it. With prices on those monitors being so cheap 3gb of VRAM just won't cut it.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1415441/7680x1440-benchmarks-plus-2-3-4-way-sli-gk110-scaling/150#post_20735673
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBestiaHumana View Post

If you get 3 Korean monitors, 7680x1440, 780 won't cut it. With prices on those monitors being so cheap 3gb of VRAM just won't cut it.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1415441/7680x1440-benchmarks-plus-2-3-4-way-sli-gk110-scaling/150#post_20735673
That sounds about right, but I would buy the monitors before I put down that much more money for graphics. If money isn't an issue, you might as well get titans.
post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay View Post

That sounds about right, but I would buy the monitors before I put down that much more money for graphics. If money isn't an issue, you might as well get titans.

Art that's exactly my point, for today's video game 3Gb Vram is more than enough, but if somebody is willing to future proof his Pc, GTX 780 isn't the way to go but Titan. I got that conclusion from this article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen, otherwise 3930K been good as it is, would be bottlenecked in some point by 3Gb Vram Limitation. Unless, games suffer a revolution in the way they are been coded, asking more Cores than gpu vram.
Edited by Sujeto 1 - 9/3/13 at 4:12pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › ¿Would 4770K bottleneck 3 - 4 way Sli of GTX 780?