Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › Weird keyboard bug
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Weird keyboard bug

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
So ive encounter a rather strange bug with my keyboard input.

If I press F+G then Left arrow or F+V then left arrow, the key will not register as pressed.
I'm a little confused, this keyboard should have 6 key roll over in, and anti ghosting. I had no idea this keyboard did this until I was playing a game today that involved the F+G key on my home row.

what is this?
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII View Post

So ive encounter a rather strange bug with my keyboard input.

If I press F+G then Left arrow or F+V then left arrow, the key will not register as pressed.
I'm a little confused, this keyboard should have 6 key roll over in, and anti ghosting. I had no idea this keyboard did this until I was playing a game today that involved the F+G key on my home row.

what is this?

 

Anti-ghosting (or ghosting) has nothing to do with this. Ghosting is when you press 2 keys and somehow another key is mysteriously activated even though you only physically touched two keys. Hence the term "ghosting". It's a problem with much, much older keyboards.

 

Anyway, the key rollover depends on the design. On some keyboards, it's ANY combination. On others, it's not and therefore it's more limited than the advertising leads people to believe. On gaming mechanical keyboards, this 6-key rollover might only apply to the WASD cluster plus modifiers.

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.400-1.424V in Manual Mode) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.400-1.424V in Manual Mode) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Anti-ghosting (or ghosting) has nothing to do with this. Ghosting is when you press 2 keys and somehow another key is mysteriously activated even though you only physically touched two keys. Hence the term "ghosting". It's a problem with much, much older keyboards.
I'm confused. How can ghosting happen with just 2 keys? Because whether the 2 keys are in the same row or column or in different rows and columns, it would seem that the decoder will always distinguish both keys properly. OTOH if 2 keys are held down, a 3rd key pressed in the the same rows or columns could be impossible to distinguish, unless each key had a diode in series with it.

It's wierd that the IBM Model M doesn't have n-key rollover but the older 84-key Model F does.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by larymoencurly View Post


I'm confused. How can ghosting happen with just 2 keys? Because whether the 2 keys are in the same row or column or in different rows and columns, it would seem that the decoder will always distinguish both keys properly. OTOH if 2 keys are held down, a 3rd key pressed in the the same rows or columns could be impossible to distinguish, unless each key had a diode in series with it.

It's wierd that the IBM Model M doesn't have n-key rollover but the older 84-key Model F does.

 

That's not ghosting. This is ghosting:

 

  1. You press 2 keys at the same time.
  2. Out of nowhere, a 3rd key is activated even though you physically did not touch it.

 

So, you physically did not touch that 3rd key, but its signal was sent anyway. How does this happen? Ghosting. It's an old problem that we no longer have to deal with. So ghosting has absolutely nothing with how many keys you can press simultaneously without having some of them get blocked. That's key rollover.

 

So, FranBunnyFFXII is referring to key rollover where the Left Arrow key is not registered when either F+G are pressed at the same time first, or F+V are pressed at the same time first. This is a key rollover issue, not a ghosting issue. A ghosting issue would be like, you press F+G or F+V and some other random key's signal is sent exactly as though you physically pressed it even though you didn't.

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.400-1.424V in Manual Mode) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.400-1.424V in Manual Mode) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

That's not ghosting. This is ghosting:
  1. You press 2 keys at the same time.
  2. Out of nowhere, a 3rd key is activated even though you physically did not touch it.

So, you physically did not touch that 3rd key, but its signal was sent anyway. How does this happen? Ghosting. It's an old problem that we no longer have to deal with. So ghosting has absolutely nothing with how many keys you can press simultaneously without having some of them get blocked. That's key rollover.

So, FranBunnyFFXII is referring to key rollover where the Left Arrow key is not registered when either F+G are pressed at the same time first, or F+V are pressed at the same time first. This is a key rollover issue, not a ghosting issue. A ghosting issue would be like, you press F+G or F+V and some other random key's signal is sent exactly as though you physically pressed it even though you didn't.
The earlier example involved only 2 keys being pressed, and I don't see how that can cause ghosting, except when there's a debounce problem. OTOH the example you cited is ghosting caused by rollover, and it seems to be a problem that hasn't completely disappeared, which isn't surprising, considering basic keyboard technology hasn't changed in several decades.
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Guys the bug is associated with the wiring of the key, I figured it out, there's no key roll over in the keyboard, the 6key rollover is in the New alienware scissorswitch keyboards. I didn't notice this because I was using ILKJ for arrow keys in my games and none of those keys have crossover with the other keys that cause other keys to not respond.

I don't know what the problem is called but I got my new ducky shine so its not a problem anymore.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Keyboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Keyboards › Weird keyboard bug