Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Gallery / Build Log] Ultimate Wall Mount Rig - MAXXPlanck V2 (Completed)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Gallery / Build Log] Ultimate Wall Mount Rig - MAXXPlanck V2 (Completed) - Page 31

post #301 of 462
One of the most amazing builds out there,

only thing I would change is toss on 1/2" EK Acrylic tubing everywhere wink.gif
post #302 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBrotato View Post

show4pro


I'm doing a similar build and plan on making a thread for it as well, i'm almost done, but i've hit a brick wall. It sounds absolutely stupid but i've shorted TWO boards.. I bought a pair of powered 19cm riser cables(powered=they come with molex connectors), daisy chained them together and it would appear they are the source of my problem, I can't think that it would be anything else. Do you think that the length is just too long for the risers, being that they're un-shielded? Or possibly that it's fact that they're powered?

I'm about to bite the bullet and buy the 3M ones you used, but I really wanna make sure that's the issue. What do you think?
Note: i've checked all the mounts and everything is properly grounded with spacers. PSU is fine, no exposed LED wiring that could cause interference.

Also, are you experiencing any latency, instability, power issues with the 3M risers?

Please respond, I'm holding off on the order of the 3M riser until i hear for you.

I swear if I burn another board i'm throwing this build in the trash and just gonna buy a conventional case. I've been working on this for weeks and the man hours i've put into it only to get stuck one step before finishing is driving me insane.

here's what I have so far:
a pale shadow compared to your build....
IMG_0844.jpg

edit: i've since fixed the water loop and it doesn't look quite that messy anymore. It goes reservoir-->pump-->radiator---> water blocks. Hope that makes sense

So cool that @Show4Pro inspired another build smile.gif
One gear, GO!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
FX8150 Crosshair V Formula G.Skill PIS 2200 cl7 Acard ans9010 raid 0+Corsair Force 3 
Cooling
OCN Marksman 
  hide details  
Reply
One gear, GO!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
FX8150 Crosshair V Formula G.Skill PIS 2200 cl7 Acard ans9010 raid 0+Corsair Force 3 
Cooling
OCN Marksman 
  hide details  
Reply
post #303 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBrotato View Post

show4pro


I'm doing a similar build and plan on making a thread for it as well, i'm almost done, but i've hit a brick wall. It sounds absolutely stupid but i've shorted TWO boards.. I bought a pair of powered 19cm riser cables(powered=they come with molex connectors), daisy chained them together and it would appear they are the source of my problem, I can't think that it would be anything else. Do you think that the length is just too long for the risers, being that they're un-shielded? Or possibly that it's fact that they're powered?

I'm about to bite the bullet and buy the 3M ones you used, but I really wanna make sure that's the issue. What do you think?
Note: i've checked all the mounts and everything is properly grounded with spacers. PSU is fine, no exposed LED wiring that could cause interference.

Also, are you experiencing any latency, instability, power issues with the 3M risers?

Please respond, I'm holding off on the order of the 3M riser until i hear for you.

I swear if I burn another board i'm throwing this build in the trash and just gonna buy a conventional case. I've been working on this for weeks and the man hours i've put into it only to get stuck one step before finishing is driving me insane.

here's what I have so far:
a pale shadow compared to your build....
IMG_0844.jpg

edit: i've since fixed the water loop and it doesn't look quite that messy anymore. It goes reservoir-->pump-->radiator---> water blocks. Hope that makes sense

Yea, I was just about to ask you why you went about setting up the loop the original way you did until I saw your edit. That sounds like it's a lot cleaner.

Have you figured out your shorting problem? You try benching the board off the unit? I would check to see if maybe however you're mounting it to the unit isn't cutting into the MOBO. If you're using standoffs or whatever screws, just make sure there's not too much torque there or you can have a ground going straight through your MOBO.
Edited by iiDeadSeriousii - 1/14/14 at 5:19am
post #304 of 462
After doing some
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiDeadSeriousii View Post

Yea, I was just about to ask you why you went about setting up the loop the original way you did until I saw your edit. That sounds like it's a lot cleaner.

Have you figured out your shorting problem? You try benching the board off the unit? I would check to see if maybe however you're mounting it to the unit isn't cutting into the MOBO. If you're using standoffs or whatever screws, just make sure there's not too much torque there or you can have a ground going straight through your MOBO.
After doing some research I discovered it's a grounding problem. In a metal case everything is connected via the case/psu, which is then grounded. On a setup like this there's no contact between components, thus no grounding occurs via the psu. So static charge builds up in the acrylic plates and eventually discharges to the components, killing them.

Basically I need to run a ground from each component and acrylic plate
post #305 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBrotato View Post

After doing some
After doing some research I discovered it's a grounding problem. In a metal case everything is connected via the case/psu, which is then grounded. On a setup like this there's no contact between components, thus no grounding occurs via the psu. So static charge builds up in the acrylic plates and eventually discharges to the components, killing them.

Basically I need to run a ground from each component and acrylic plate

I'm assuming you used a wooden mounting rig like show4pro? Because what I was going to use was a typical wood board then 1/2" metal standoffs between the wood and the acrylic mounts. This way on the back side you can just daisy chain all the components together and have it go to a single ground point in the back so there's no difference in potential. I hope that came out as clear as it did in my head lol.

I'd like to get show4pro's input on how he grounded everything. I don't wanna go through what you just did and fry some stuff.
post #306 of 462
yeh that makes sense. I was originally going to ground everything that way. But keep in mind, if at any point that single ground wire gets dislodged or disconnected you then have a completed circuit linking all your components together, which would fry everything at once.

So I intend on grounding each plate and component individually

Edit: I PM'd show4pro, and am waiting to hear his input on the matter. I'm not sure if he actually went about making sure everything was grounded, or if he just accidentally ended up grounding everything
post #307 of 462
I guess the way I thought about it was if they're all getting fed from a single PSU then you'd want their grounds to all be the same as well. Gotta brush up on my electrical knowledge and look into this.
post #308 of 462
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiDeadSeriousii View Post

Some people are inspired by great works of art like paintings and sculptures but this thing has been on my mind for weeks since I first saw it. I can truly appreciate the hard work that's gone into this thing.

I am going to attempt this in 2014. I'm undecided on getting new components or just going with my current build. I have a few questions:

The HDD/SSD mounts, how difficult were they? Were the holes for screwing down those components already there? Same question for the GPU's, I know you said you used the existing screw holes that held the cooler and the bracket, but in between the two cards did you use standoffs or something? And that SLI watercooling bridge, is it an in/out setup from the same side? I always thought you had to go in one side and out the other end.

Lastly, besides the PCIe risers, what was the toughest part of the build?

The HDD / SSD mounts were not that difficult to make, as long as you have the right tools. You have to drill / tap all the holes yourself. I used a Dremel with a the tile cutting attachment to cut the recess on the back of the plate so the head of the screw won't protrude once it's screwed into the HDD.
I used this coupler between the 2 cards for spacing, and nothing else. The 2 card's blocks are connected in parallel.

Hmmmmm toughest part.. I would say cutting and finishing the acrylic panel consumed the most amount of time and I had a lot of rework to get it looking the way I wanted. Also, the planning stage on the component spacing and hole locations were very critical to the build. That picture showing the pencil sketches on the layout took me about 10 hours to draw up.
post #309 of 462
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBrotato View Post

yeh that makes sense. I was originally going to ground everything that way. But keep in mind, if at any point that single ground wire gets dislodged or disconnected you then have a completed circuit linking all your components together, which would fry everything at once.

So I intend on grounding each plate and component individually

Edit: I PM'd show4pro, and am waiting to hear his input on the matter. I'm not sure if he actually went about making sure everything was grounded, or if he just accidentally ended up grounding everything

Nice! Very cool build!

I do not have my motherboard grounded to Earth as it is typically done in a regular case. I plan on doing that when I upgrade the mobo sometimes in the near future. However I don't think grounding is your issue.
Also, static cannot slowly build up on the acrylic board with a motherboard on top of it. It would flow into the ground layer on the motherboard which is connected to the acrylic via the brass standoffs, or into your LED strip. To answer your question earlier, I currently don't any of the components on my wall mount rig grounded.
It is possible that you killed your mobo with static discharge from your finger to the board. With all the components exposed, you have to always make sure to ground yourself before touching anything on the board.
How did you come to conclusion that your motherboard is dead? Would it not post? Did you try it with the GPU plugged directly into the slot?

Just an observation. With your PCIe riser cable laying so close on top of the motherboard, it could be picking up and throwing back lots of interference. When I had the unshielded riser cables, simply touching the cable would cause my system to freeze. And that's with 2 layers of aluminum foil wrapped around it!
post #310 of 462
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkristo View Post

I was more wondering how much the rig is building out smile.gif Like from the wall to the highest point. Maybe the top of the pump or reservoirs? (Dont need how much it builds at the the PSU smile.gif

Highest point from the wall is the top of the GPU 90deg fittings @ 16cm from the wall. Second highest is the top of the pumps @ 15cm.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Gallery / Build Log] Ultimate Wall Mount Rig - MAXXPlanck V2 (Completed)