Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Gallery / Build Log] Ultimate Wall Mount Rig - MAXXPlanck V2 (Completed)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Gallery / Build Log] Ultimate Wall Mount Rig - MAXXPlanck V2 (Completed) - Page 32

post #311 of 462
Thread Starter 
Almost finished building my long delayed project. Meet MAXxPlanck Mini!

post #312 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show4Pro View Post

Nice! Very cool build!

I do not have my motherboard grounded to Earth as it is typically done in a regular case. I plan on doing that when I upgrade the mobo sometimes in the near future. However I don't think grounding is your issue.
Also, static cannot slowly build up on the acrylic board with a motherboard on top of it. It would flow into the ground layer on the motherboard which is connected to the acrylic via the brass standoffs, or into your LED strip. To answer your question earlier, I currently don't any of the components on my wall mount rig grounded.
It is possible that you killed your mobo with static discharge from your finger to the board. With all the components exposed, you have to always make sure to ground yourself before touching anything on the board.
How did you come to conclusion that your motherboard is dead? Would it not post? Did you try it with the GPU plugged directly into the slot?

Just an observation. With your PCIe riser cable laying so close on top of the motherboard, it could be picking up and throwing back lots of interference. When I had the unshielded riser cables, simply touching the cable would cause my system to freeze. And that's with 2 layers of aluminum foil wrapped around it!

i've made two videos showcasing my findings, uploading to youtube now, will respond again shortly
post #313 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show4Pro View Post

Nice! Very cool build!

I do not have my motherboard grounded to Earth as it is typically done in a regular case. I plan on doing that when I upgrade the mobo sometimes in the near future. However I don't think grounding is your issue.
Also, static cannot slowly build up on the acrylic board with a motherboard on top of it. It would flow into the ground layer on the motherboard which is connected to the acrylic via the brass standoffs, or into your LED strip. To answer your question earlier, I currently don't any of the components on my wall mount rig grounded.
It is possible that you killed your mobo with static discharge from your finger to the board. With all the components exposed, you have to always make sure to ground yourself before touching anything on the board.
How did you come to conclusion that your motherboard is dead? Would it not post? Did you try it with the GPU plugged directly into the slot?

Just an observation. With your PCIe riser cable laying so close on top of the motherboard, it could be picking up and throwing back lots of interference. When I had the unshielded riser cables, simply touching the cable would cause my system to freeze. And that's with 2 layers of aluminum foil wrapped around it!

my 3rd board failing for the 1st time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v5ISbNUZIg

Finally emerging victorious!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOtZDn3nAXU

Edit:I suppose it's possible that me touching the board could've been what killed it, but seeing as how it happened with 3 different boards, i feel that's unlikely. Also ever since i've grounded everything i've played with the heatsinks and other components in order to adjust temps while the computer was on and no shorting occurred.

oh and Thanks for the compliment!
Edited by DatBrotato - 1/14/14 at 10:43pm
post #314 of 462
Thanks smile.gif
post #315 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show4Pro View Post

The HDD / SSD mounts were not that difficult to make, as long as you have the right tools. You have to drill / tap all the holes yourself. I used a Dremel with a the tile cutting attachment to cut the recess on the back of the plate so the head of the screw won't protrude once it's screwed into the HDD.
I used this coupler between the 2 cards for spacing, and nothing else. The 2 card's blocks are connected in parallel.

Hmmmmm toughest part.. I would say cutting and finishing the acrylic panel consumed the most amount of time and I had a lot of rework to get it looking the way I wanted. Also, the planning stage on the component spacing and hole locations were very critical to the build. That picture showing the pencil sketches on the layout took me about 10 hours to draw up.

Alright thanks a lot, been holding off on getting a soldering kit and a dremel kit so I guess now is a good a time as any. Thanks for the tips, I'm sure I'll be back for more help thumb.gif
post #316 of 462
The Mini me looks awesome biggrin.gif
post #317 of 462
I know this means a lot, coming from a total newb.. But, that is the sickest rig I've ever seen.. I love the idea of letting it all hang out like that. Yes, I did just say that.

Honestly, I think you might be able to make a bit on the side selling those things. Or, at least building the templates for people. Considering there are so many standard sized parts (in terms of mounting screws), it wouldn't be entirely impossible...
post #318 of 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show4Pro View Post

Almost finished building my long delayed project. Meet MAXxPlanck Mini!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I love the "mini" version. is there a pic with them next to each other for scale? just curious.
post #319 of 462
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBrotato View Post

my 3rd board failing for the 1st time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v5ISbNUZIg

Finally emerging victorious!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOtZDn3nAXU

Edit:I suppose it's possible that me touching the board could've been what killed it, but seeing as how it happened with 3 different boards, i feel that's unlikely. Also ever since i've grounded everything i've played with the heatsinks and other components in order to adjust temps while the computer was on and no shorting occurred.

oh and Thanks for the compliment!

Nice. Glad to hear you got it working. Seems like grounding could be the cause.
It would be better if you connect that grounding wire you made to Earth ground, which is the casing on your powersupply. You can use a case screw on the mounting holes in the PSU to secure the wire. Make sure you scratch off a little paint around the screw if you decide to do this though as most paints are insulators.
post #320 of 462
You could use it fot mining bitcoin as well, amiright?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Gallery / Build Log] Ultimate Wall Mount Rig - MAXXPlanck V2 (Completed)