Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Best motherboard?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best motherboard? - Page 2

post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by benben84 View Post

Definitely just wait it out and buy both motherboard and cpu at the same time. No sense in tearing up the thermal compound and switching things around on a Gateway setup.

If you intend to just game, I recommend an i5 over an i7, no sense getting an i7 for gaming only unless you have an extra $100 to spend.

I still wanted to upgrade the case though, I'm not sure if my current motherboard would be fine in a mid/full? and I could actually buy an i5 like next month.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyA View Post

I may just stick to my current motherboard for now then... I wasn't sure how to figure out what I have as it came with a gateway computer.

From what you said upgrading my mobo now would be pointless, but no I have not. For a normal ATX would full or mid be best?

I edited my previous post by the way. It may still be worthwhile upgrading. I suppose it is something to think about though.
The best i7 you can get if you was to upgrade your current motherboard now, and buy an i7 later would be the 3770K.
With the new motherboards the best you can get is a 4770k. The 4770k is better at stock speeds, however they do run hotter with overclocks, so if you intended to overclock the 3770k would probably be the best to go for now anyway. But depending when you do plan to get the i7, it might be worthwhile waiting, because if it is anywhere near May/June next year, newer i7's will be out.

With regards to your case, I would personally prefer as small of a case as possible. But I suppose you need to make that decision.
mATX you should be able to do, they have four expansion slots which is normally two graphics cards, but depending on how the expansion slots are laid out, and depending on the case, you may still be able to fit either a sound card or a wifi adapter. This will give you the smallest possible case.

ATX boards have seven expansion slots, but, again, depending on the case/motherboard layout it could potentially give you space for 8. Which will allow you to have two cards, one wifi adapter and one sound card and still have space for possibly 1/2 cards if you need it. But you will have a bigger case.
post #13 of 18
you probably want an ATX mobo. Id recommend the Gigabyte GA Z77X-UP4 TH. As for the case, thats your choice but I like the NZXT Source 220

EDIT: I mean there are cheaper motherboards but that one has some very good reviews; and just as Jawswing said, ATX cases have more expansion slots for soundcards, wifi cards, etc.
Edited by kishagi - 9/5/13 at 4:42pm
 
InDaHub!
(15 items)
 
 
Reply
 
InDaHub!
(15 items)
 
 
Reply
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishagi View Post

you probably want an ATX mobo. Id recommend the Gigabyte GA Z77X-UP4 TH. As for the case, thats your choice but I like the NZXT Source 220

EDIT: I mean there are cheaper motherboards but that one has some very good reviews; and just as Jawswing said, ATX cases have more expansion slots for soundcards, wifi cards, etc.


http://pcdirect.com/giso11z7inz71.html
Does anyone else recommend this? and can anyone recommend a good case that it would fit in?
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyA View Post

http://pcdirect.com/giso11z7inz71.html
Does anyone else recommend this? and can anyone recommend a good case that it would fit in?
Before making a decision on motherboard we need to know what your current cards are. Are they PCI or PCIExpress? Reason I ask, is if you plan to continue using them and they are both PCI, that motherboard you linked only has one PCI slot. Other than that, that is a good motherboard, if you can shop around for a better deal.

As for case...well this is the hardest part for us to recommend to you simply because it comes down to what pleases your eyes the most.

Here are a few full size ATX tower's i would highly recommend:
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Cooler Master CM Storm Stryker
Cooler Master HAF X
NZXT Switch 810
NZXT Phantom
Rosewill THOR V2
Fractal Design Define XL

Mid size ATX:
Corsair 650D
Corsair 600T
Corsair C70
Cooler Master HAF XM
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2
Fractal Design Define R4

Remember though, these are just my recommendations based on what I like to see in a case, you may find something that fits you better.
 
Quadcore P182
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution X48 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 22" LCD's 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W Antec P182 Gunmetal 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Quadcore P182
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution X48 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 22" LCD's 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W Antec P182 Gunmetal 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by benben84 View Post

Before making a decision on motherboard we need to know what your current cards are. Are they PCI or PCIExpress? Reason I ask, is if you plan to continue using them and they are both PCI, that motherboard you linked only has one PCI slot. Other than that, that is a good motherboard, if you can shop around for a better deal.

As for case...well this is the hardest part for us to recommend to you simply because it comes down to what pleases your eyes the most.

Here are a few full size ATX tower's i would highly recommend:
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Cooler Master CM Storm Stryker
Cooler Master HAF X
NZXT Switch 810
NZXT Phantom
Rosewill THOR V2
Fractal Design Define XL

Mid size ATX:
Corsair 650D
Corsair 600T
Corsair C70
Cooler Master HAF XM
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2
Fractal Design Define R4

Remember though, these are just my recommendations based on what I like to see in a case, you may find something that fits you better.

I found that motherboard for $89 on sale so I purchased the last one, I also will have my CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced on Monday.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyA View Post

I found that motherboard for $89 on sale so I purchased the last one, I also will have my CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced on Monday.
Good choice! Enjoy!
 
Quadcore P182
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution X48 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 22" LCD's 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W Antec P182 Gunmetal 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Quadcore P182
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution X48 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (2) Acer 22" LCD's 
PowerCase
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W Antec P182 Gunmetal 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 18
If you're still making a decision on a case, any mid/full tower case should be fine for you.
A few that I like/would recommend are either the Fractal Design Define R4, Fractal Design Arc Midi/Arc Midi 2.
I also like the Corsair 350D. All of those will fit your motherboard. But, as I say, most Full/Mid towers should be fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Best motherboard?