Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Asus Motherboards need Fan Controllers? (15 Fans)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asus Motherboards need Fan Controllers? (15 Fans)

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
According to my friend, I do not need a separate fan controller, if I use a cable splitter and connect all the fans to my asus motherboard, now some questions came up when I thought of this, would 15 fans be too much for the motherboard? In addition to a overclocked cpu, 4 sticks of ram, sli'd gpus (770), I would just as rather connect them to a fan conntroller if this is dangerous of shorting out, and if i'm not mistaken I'd have to get one to connect that many fans in the first place? If asus doesn't work is there another brand that does? Advice? Any suggestions? thanks!thumb.gif
post #2 of 4
15 fans is quiet a lot, I would not connect them all to the motherboard, you risk destroying a fan header completely with the current draw.

I recommend that you just get a fan controller. Something like the NZXT sentry mesh will be great: http://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Mesh-Controller-Watts-Channels/dp/B005C31G30/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378447024&sr=8-3&keywords=fan+controller

You will still need to use splitters to put multiple fans one each channel, but this controller is more than powerful enough to drive multiple fans per channel.
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luclocke View Post

According to my friend, I do not need a separate fan controller, if I use a cable splitter and connect all the fans to my asus motherboard, now some questions came up when I thought of this, would 15 fans be too much for the motherboard? In addition to a overclocked cpu, 4 sticks of ram, sli'd gpus (770), I would just as rather connect them to a fan conntroller if this is dangerous of shorting out, and if i'm not mistaken I'd have to get one to connect that many fans in the first place? If asus doesn't work is there another brand that does? Advice? Any suggestions? thanks!thumb.gif


Officially, motherboard supports 1 Amp @ 12 volts on each fan header, regardless of how they're hooked together. Personally, if it were my case, I'd get a fan controller. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Greg
post #4 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishymamba View Post

15 fans is quiet a lot, I would not connect them all to the motherboard, you risk destroying a fan header completely with the current draw.

I recommend that you just get a fan controller. Something like the NZXT sentry mesh will be great: http://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Mesh-Controller-Watts-Channels/dp/B005C31G30/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378447024&sr=8-3&keywords=fan+controller

You will still need to use splitters to put multiple fans one each channel, but this controller is more than powerful enough to drive multiple fans per channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

Officially, motherboard supports 1 Amp @ 12 volts on each fan header, regardless of how they're hooked together. Personally, if it were my case, I'd get a fan controller. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Greg

Then it's official, fan controller it is, now to only find the right one!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Asus Motherboards need Fan Controllers? (15 Fans)