Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › In search for new router! Need help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In search for new router! Need help.

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hey OCN!

I'm in search for a new router! I have a few criteria that need to be met.

1) Long ranged signal
2) Security enriched
3) $100 US (Can slightly budge, but only by a little)
4) USB for external hard drive
5) Port forwarding
6) Advanced settings (More in depth then standard user)
7) Dual Band
8) Smart function that prioritizes bandwidth allocation
9) 5G, however, I'm not entirely sure what this does, it sounds cool.
10) 3-4 Lan ports
11) Optional second 'Guest' network

Thanks guys! I would like to know why you think this specific router will do the job.
post #2 of 6
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320062&Tpk=n56u

I've got this which I bought probably a year ago.

In the past I'd always used those cheap routers the ISP's gave you and never thought about buying my own, until I made a file server and really needed the 1GB/s connection.
Anyway, with this I have no blackspots in the house at all (1960s UK townhouse) with brick walls inside too.

However, if you were able to budge at all, I'd really suggest buying an AC wireless one. You might not have anything that uses AC wireless at the moment, but the bandwidth on those verses wireless N is immense.
post #3 of 6
Do you have an old computer lying around? If so, you cannot beat this solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JFfpG4BWI
Project Arch
(16 items)
 
BigByte
(8 items)
 
Macbook Pro
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5960x @ 4.8ghz Asus X99-E WS 2 x Nvidia Quadro K6000 Corsair Dominator Platinum 64gb 2666 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Samsung 850 Pro 512gb {RAID 0} Swiftech H320 w/ Noctua NF-F12 iPPC Arch Linux w/ OpenBox 2 x LG 31MU97 Cinema 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Vortex KBC Poker II PBT EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Corsair Obsidian 450D Zowie FK1 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Steelseries QCK+ Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80Ω Audioengine D1 Intel X540-T2 NIC 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Avoton C2750 Octa-Core ASRock C2750D4I Samsung 64gb ECC 1600mhz 8 x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB 
OSPowerCaseOther
FreeNAS SilverStone ST45SF-G 450w SilverStone DS380 Intel X540-T2 NIC 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4960HQ Intel Iris 5200 Pro NVIDIA GT 750M 2gb 16gb (2x8gb) 1600mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorMouseMouse Pad
1tb PCIe SSD 15.4" {2880x1800} IPS SteelSeries Sensei [RAW] SteelSeries QcK Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Arch
(16 items)
 
BigByte
(8 items)
 
Macbook Pro
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5960x @ 4.8ghz Asus X99-E WS 2 x Nvidia Quadro K6000 Corsair Dominator Platinum 64gb 2666 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Samsung 850 Pro 512gb {RAID 0} Swiftech H320 w/ Noctua NF-F12 iPPC Arch Linux w/ OpenBox 2 x LG 31MU97 Cinema 4K 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Vortex KBC Poker II PBT EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Corsair Obsidian 450D Zowie FK1 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Steelseries QCK+ Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80Ω Audioengine D1 Intel X540-T2 NIC 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Avoton C2750 Octa-Core ASRock C2750D4I Samsung 64gb ECC 1600mhz 8 x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB 
OSPowerCaseOther
FreeNAS SilverStone ST45SF-G 450w SilverStone DS380 Intel X540-T2 NIC 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4960HQ Intel Iris 5200 Pro NVIDIA GT 750M 2gb 16gb (2x8gb) 1600mhz 
Hard DriveMonitorMouseMouse Pad
1tb PCIe SSD 15.4" {2880x1800} IPS SteelSeries Sensei [RAW] SteelSeries QcK Mini 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizZz View Post

Do you have an old computer lying around? If so, you cannot beat this solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JFfpG4BWI

Great performance but power consumption is wwaaayyy higher than a home router.

My Netgear N900 is great, but it's currently $30 over budget. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR---N900-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Router-with-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch/3219043.p?id=1218386647149&skuId=3219043
So Quiet
(16 items)
 
Router
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K X99-A NVidia NVS 310 GSkill Ripjaw V 4x8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S 10 EDU 2x Dell U2715H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (black) Cooler Master V850 Cooler Master XB EVO CM Storm Spawn 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
TECKNET Fluance SX6  S.M.S.L SA-60 Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3240 Gigabyte H81M-DS2V Crucial Ballistix Sport 2X2GB  Hitachi Deskstar 320GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Stock pfSense 2.3.2 Capstone 450W Rosewill RSV-L4500 
OtherOtherOther
Intel 9301CT Intel 9301CT Intel 9301CT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1225 V3 Asrock Rack C226 WS HD P4600 Crucial 16GB ECC  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial MX100  4 WD Red 2TB RAID 0+1 HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB Yep 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Stock Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Seasonic 450RM Rosewill RSV-L4500 
Other
Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port 
  hide details  
Reply
So Quiet
(16 items)
 
Router
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K X99-A NVidia NVS 310 GSkill Ripjaw V 4x8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S 10 EDU 2x Dell U2715H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (black) Cooler Master V850 Cooler Master XB EVO CM Storm Spawn 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
TECKNET Fluance SX6  S.M.S.L SA-60 Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G3240 Gigabyte H81M-DS2V Crucial Ballistix Sport 2X2GB  Hitachi Deskstar 320GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Stock pfSense 2.3.2 Capstone 450W Rosewill RSV-L4500 
OtherOtherOther
Intel 9301CT Intel 9301CT Intel 9301CT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1225 V3 Asrock Rack C226 WS HD P4600 Crucial 16GB ECC  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial MX100  4 WD Red 2TB RAID 0+1 HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB Yep 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Stock Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Seasonic 450RM Rosewill RSV-L4500 
Other
Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post

Great performance but power consumption is wwaaayyy higher than a home router.

My Netgear N900 is great, but it's currently $30 over budget. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR---N900-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Router-with-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch/3219043.p?id=1218386647149&skuId=3219043


So, I went to Frys and did some research by myself. I ended up getting the RT-AC56U Dual Band 2x2 802.11AC Gigabit Router. I choose this router because the Netgear ones didn't have the more indepth changes that I wanted to be able to access. Not to mention, I was getting +1 USB slots on the Asus router. Like I said above, price didn't matter. I just didn't want to spend 300 bucks on a router. The router is also featuring AC, this was a huge plus. Frys try to sell me the extended 3 year warantly, Asus offers a free 2 year warranty that is more then sufficent. It's not like you can overclock a router right! What is going to happen that is putting the router in danger. rolleyes.gif

Anyway I appreciate the help! I had considered the 2 routers mentioned before I posted this thread, in the end, I believe I made the best decision.

Fremish
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremish View Post

So, I went to Frys and did some research by myself. I ended up getting the RT-AC56U Dual Band 2x2 802.11AC Gigabit Router. I choose this router because the Netgear ones didn't have the more indepth changes that I wanted to be able to access. Not to mention, I was getting +1 USB slots on the Asus router. Like I said above, price didn't matter. I just didn't want to spend 300 bucks on a router. The router is also featuring AC, this was a huge plus. Frys try to sell me the extended 3 year warantly, Asus offers a free 2 year warranty that is more then sufficent. It's not like you can overclock a router right! What is going to happen that is putting the router in danger. rolleyes.gif

Anyway I appreciate the help! I had considered the 2 routers mentioned before I posted this thread, in the end, I believe I made the best decision.

Fremish

Ah, you can overclock a router.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Networking & Security
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Networking & Security › In search for new router! Need help.