Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [The Verge] The iPhone 5s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[The Verge] The iPhone 5s - Page 48

post #471 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb222 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

i was being sarcastic. i actually agree with you 100%. android fans like to talk about benchmarks, but ios outperforms them where it counts. ie superior screens, superior sound quality, better gpu performance for mobile gaming, actual proper os support, effective immunity to viruses etc. android fans have more options in terms of screen size true, but that seems to be all they really have.

A wider variety of hardware. A wider variety of customizations. A wider variety of price ranges.

I will say Apple benefits from producing basically 1 phone. Sure they have to support older phones...but that support is built up when they are current.
Google has a great variety of hardware choices, but that means you never know if they will be supported, even if the Manufacturer says they will...cough* Motorola!
MS has a few different manufactures but they are held to standards that create consistency across them. So most of their phones are supported well.

speaking of innovation, I still haven't seen phones that can record audio as well as Nokias! Lumia 920 and 1020 have the same mics and the balance has been improved...but you get the picture.

and you still can't use an iPhone with gloves unless you make some contraption or something.
HTC One actually could do the same as the Nokia here, but they had to stop using those microphones because STM had an exclusive deal with Nokia. So if you got an early build of the HTC One, chances are you'll have the HDR mic. No idea how the new mic in HTC One compares to the original one.
Edited by Stefy - 9/15/13 at 5:51am
AiryBox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Desktar 7200RPM 1TB Samsung 830 128GB Corsair H100i W10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" Qpad Mk-50 Cherry MX Red CM V700 NZXT H440 
  hide details  
Reply
AiryBox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Desktar 7200RPM 1TB Samsung 830 128GB Corsair H100i W10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" Qpad Mk-50 Cherry MX Red CM V700 NZXT H440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #472 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post


Superior screens? Superior sound quality without stereo speakers? Better GPU? Doubling the perf won't get you nowhere near the top on 3DMark. That one's up to the user. Virus immunity?
Why the better p/W?

The 3DMark score takes into account the CPU as well, does it not? The Adreno 330 is powerful, but from memory it's only a bit better than the SGX554MP4 -- though correct me if I'm wrong.

 

Malware is quite limited on iOS without an exploit to allow it free reign.

 

Firstly, to be clear... it's my expectation not necessarily fact. Secondly, because Apple placed a strong focus on aggressive power management with Swift. I read a great detail about Cortex A15 vs Swift from Anandtech, it's quite interesting stuff.

Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #473 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

Superior screens? Superior sound quality without stereo speakers? Better GPU? Doubling the perf won't get you nowhere near the top on 3DMark. That one's up to the user. Virus immunity?

Why the better p/W?
The 3DMark score takes into account the CPU as well, does it not? The Adreno 330 is powerful, but from memory it's only a bit better than the SGX554MP4 -- though correct me if I'm wrong.

Malware is quite limited on iOS without an exploit to allow it free reign.

Firstly, to be clear... it's my expectation not necessarily fact. Secondly, because Apple placed a strong focus on aggressive power management with Swift. I read a great detail about Cortex A15 vs Swift from Anandtech, it's quite interesting stuff.
Sure, but if you look at the in-depth's FPS you will see it is one quarter of the top SGS4's score.

Fair enough.

That could be good or bad... but it proves your point. thumb.gif
post #474 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb222 View Post

A wider variety of hardware. A wider variety of customizations. A wider variety of price ranges.

I will say Apple benefits from producing basically 1 phone. Sure they have to support older phones...but that support is built up when they are current.
Google has a great variety of hardware choices, but that means you never know if they will be supported, even if the Manufacturer says they will...cough* Motorola!
MS has a few different manufactures but they are held to standards that create consistency across them. So most of their phones are supported well.

speaking of innovation, I still haven't seen phones that can record audio as well as Nokias! Lumia 920 and 1020 have the same mics and the balance has been improved...but you get the picture.

and you still can't use an iPhone with gloves unless you make some contraption or something.

The HTC One is/was Nokia level.

Granted, that's because it uses/used the same microphone as the Lumia's...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

Plus the New iPhone should have more single thread power then any android phone.
Most Phone Apps do not thread well at all, I would Take two powerful cores over 4 weak cores any day.

iOS might be a smooth operating OS, but so is windows phone. iOS still is crap when it comes to usability and overall features. The wall of apps is much duller then MS's Titled home screen IMO.
Though just because android will sometimes drop a frame when swiping through home pages doesn't make it feel anyless slower then a iPhone. App Performance is better on Android, especially when you have bunch of things open.

iOS is geared for people that have trouble understanding on how to use a smart phone, it is extremely a more basic OS. Though even after they upgraded iOS 7 with tech stolen from others it still is just a joke of a OS compared with JellyBean.

iOS may have been better pre ICS, but after ICS Android is just a golden Phone OS.

I'm well known for pointing out that the difference in single-threaded stuff matters very little on the desktop here...It matters even less on mobile, what would you do that actually shows a difference between two mobile CPUs? Everything I've seen is either GPU, storage or user limited. I don't give a crap about anything but storage performance these days simply because it doesn't make any difference...Hell, I was underclocking my SGS2 to save on battery as I wasn't noticing any performance difference, and that was a dual core A9 let alone the A15 or Krait...
My system
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3770k @ 4.6Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1370 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2200Mhz CL11 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB Pioneer DVR-220LBKS 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Bloatfree Edition BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Plus 600w Lian Li Lancool PC-K60 SteelSeries Sensei Professional Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large 
AudioOther
ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
My system
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3770k @ 4.6Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1370 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2200Mhz CL11 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB Pioneer DVR-220LBKS 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Bloatfree Edition BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Plus 600w Lian Li Lancool PC-K60 SteelSeries Sensei Professional Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large 
AudioOther
ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #475 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post


Sure, but if you look at the in-depth's FPS you will see it is one quarter of the top SGS4's score.

Fair enough.

That could be good or bad... but it proves your point. thumb.gif

Here's a better comparison: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7082/snapdragon-800-msm8974-performance-preview-qualcomm-mobile-development-tablet/4

 

But yes, it seems you're correct -- the 5 is substantially slower here (6 FPS vs 26.) When normalised for screen resolution, the 5 is just a bit over half (14 FPS.)

Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #476 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post

Several sites have picked HTC One as the best 2013 smartphone. Honestly, it is way more innovative than S4 which really was just a slight improvement of the S3. HTC One is a completely new and different phone. You have to be a fanboy to come out with a statement like that. Both HTC One and S4 are great phones.
HTC One actually could do the same as the Nokia here, but they had to stop using those microphones because STM had an exclusive deal with Nokia. So if you got an early build of the HTC One, chances are you'll have the HDR mic. No idea how the new mic in HTC One compares to the original one.

Dude i dont think you read what i was saying correctly............please reread it. I was actually complimenting the HTC one and Galaxy. Not bashing them.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4690k Processor Z97MX-Gaming 5 PNY GeForce GTX 970 pny xlr8 [8GB] 
RAMCoolingMonitorKeyboard
pny xlr8 [8GB] Corsair H100i Samsung U28D590D 4k 1ms Monitor Azio Mgk-1 Mechanical Keybord  
PowerCaseMouse
RAIDMAX Vampire RX-700 Gold Certified Corsair Obsidien 450D Corsair Vengeance M65 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 4690k Processor Z97MX-Gaming 5 PNY GeForce GTX 970 pny xlr8 [8GB] 
RAMCoolingMonitorKeyboard
pny xlr8 [8GB] Corsair H100i Samsung U28D590D 4k 1ms Monitor Azio Mgk-1 Mechanical Keybord  
PowerCaseMouse
RAIDMAX Vampire RX-700 Gold Certified Corsair Obsidien 450D Corsair Vengeance M65 
  hide details  
Reply
post #477 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellAce View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post

Several sites have picked HTC One as the best 2013 smartphone. Honestly, it is way more innovative than S4 which really was just a slight improvement of the S3. HTC One is a completely new and different phone. You have to be a fanboy to come out with a statement like that. Both HTC One and S4 are great phones.
HTC One actually could do the same as the Nokia here, but they had to stop using those microphones because STM had an exclusive deal with Nokia. So if you got an early build of the HTC One, chances are you'll have the HDR mic. No idea how the new mic in HTC One compares to the original one.

Dude i dont think you read what i was saying correctly............please reread it. I was actually complimenting the HTC one and Galaxy. Not bashing them.
My bad bud! Deleted it tongue.gif
AiryBox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Desktar 7200RPM 1TB Samsung 830 128GB Corsair H100i W10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" Qpad Mk-50 Cherry MX Red CM V700 NZXT H440 
  hide details  
Reply
AiryBox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Desktar 7200RPM 1TB Samsung 830 128GB Corsair H100i W10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" Qpad Mk-50 Cherry MX Red CM V700 NZXT H440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #478 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

Plus the New iPhone should have more single thread power then any android phone.
Most Phone Apps do not thread well at all, I would Take two powerful cores over 4 weak cores any day.

iOS might be a smooth operating OS, but so is windows phone. iOS still is crap when it comes to usability and overall features. The wall of apps is much duller then MS's Titled home screen IMO.
Though just because android will sometimes drop a frame when swiping through home pages doesn't make it feel anyless slower then a iPhone. App Performance is better on Android, especially when you have bunch of things open.

iOS is geared for people that have trouble understanding on how to use a smart phone, it is extremely a more basic OS. Though even after they upgraded iOS 7 with tech stolen from others it still is just a joke of a OS compared with JellyBean.

iOS may have been better pre ICS, but after ICS Android is just a golden Phone OS.

I'm curious...what features are missing on ios that makes it crap?

Why do I want my smartphone to be super complicated when all I'm doing is texting, calling, using apps, etc? Why would anyone want an OS to be overly complicated? In terms of usability, I'm not sure how anyone could say its crap? I'm not sure if you've been paying attention, but complicated is out...simple is in.

And app performance is not better on android when you have multiple apps open. That's completely counterintuitive and nonsensical given the way android handles multitasking.

Comparing Android to iOS is kinda silly in my opinion, given how demonstrably insecure Android is, how few people actually get updates, and how fragmented the entire ecosystem is. Hundreds of different makes, models, and screen sizes of phones and tablets, and you honestly think its better than an OS that's geared towards a handful of very specific devices? Because it doesn't have widgets? Lol, it's common sense is all.
Edited by Gigatel - 9/15/13 at 6:22am
post #479 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigatel View Post

I'm curious...what features are missing on ios that makes it crap?

Why do I want my smartphone to be super complicated when all I'm doing is texting, calling, using apps, etc? Why would anyone want an OS to be overly complicated? In terms of usability, I'm not sure how anyone could say its crap? I'm not sure if you've been paying attention, but complicated is out...simple is in.

And app performance is not better on android when you have multiple apps open. That's completely counterintuitive and nonsensical given the way android handles multitasking.

Comparing Android to iOS is kinda silly in my opinion, given how demonstrably insecure Android is, how few people actually get updates, and how fragmented the entire ecosystem is. Hundreds of different makes, models, and screen sizes of phones and tablets, and you honestly think its better than an OS that's geared towards a handful of very specific devices? Because it doesn't have widgets? Lol, it's common sense is all.

This.
:D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [4.5ghz] Asus P8Z77 V-Pro Asus GTX 760 2X4gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 1TB EZEX X 2 [RAID 0] [WD Black 640GB][2 X WD Blue 1TB EZEX] Corsair H80i Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp 23" Corsair CX430W v2 Corsair Graphite 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
:D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [4.5ghz] Asus P8Z77 V-Pro Asus GTX 760 2X4gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 1TB EZEX X 2 [RAID 0] [WD Black 640GB][2 X WD Blue 1TB EZEX] Corsair H80i Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp 23" Corsair CX430W v2 Corsair Graphite 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #480 of 544
I owned an iphone 3 and 4. Now i'm with android.
I will never go back to this ****y phone.

It looks ugly
Small screen
Tie to this bad itune
etc ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [The Verge] The iPhone 5s